HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Play it again, Leino: Finland native loves postseason pressure

Old
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
ShotScore*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
On Leino, I think this is where Lavy is taking heat in the other thread. Coaches kill creativity and talent where they shouldn't. If he could simply let the creativity flow on the ice, ensure the players understand that they will not be benched for mistakes

Leino can still be creative in the zone and in open ice. He simply needs to ensure he doesn't make bad decisions. If he does, he knows it, The coach doesn't have to bench him for it. Lavy sees a bad pass and fires an extra two bullets into the dead horse with a "yelling at" and then a "benching". You can get much more with a glance and a recognition that the player knows they ****** up and then send him out for his next shift showing confidence.

I hate it when coaches try to snuff out talent. Let the players play. Let Hartnell Hit. Let Carcillo run. Let Richards destroy someone. Let Leino/Giroux make the odd high risk pass. Let em play.

Now this is interesting.

Interesting because if I said the same thing about Zherdev, this board would be all over me like flies on dog ****.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Leino need some on-ice liberties for his play. He isn't a normal 3rd line hard working grinder, he is an artist.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Leino need some on-ice liberties for his play. He isn't a normal 3rd line hard working grinder, he is an artist.
He's also been a minus player for his last 31 games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He was also scratched during the first round of the playoffs, then proceded to score 21 points in 26 games, to tie the rookie playoff scoring record. He shows up to play and wants to win

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
He was also scratched during the first round of the playoffs, then proceded to score 21 points in 26 games, to tie the rookie playoff scoring record. He shows up to play and wants to win
So he wasn't showing up to play, and didn't want to win the last 31 games?

Leino was great the first half of the season, but he's been playing like crap for a while now and needs to cut down on the fancy **** (which he's seemingly bragging about in that article), which is leading to a lot of turnovers and chances the other way.

Old
04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Flyers have won 14 and lost 18 games since February so it's not really surprising.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Flyers have won 14 and lost 18 games since February so it's not really surprising.
...yes, and Leino's line is a major contributing factor to that (it isn't just him, but he's a big time culprit).

Old
04-13-2011, 02:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Leino and Lavy can't have it both their "way" so they need to compromise although Lavy obviously has more leverage. You can still be creative and try and play within the system. Leino does get too fancy and yeah some of the stuff can be a thing of beauty but he better be careful with low percentage dangles etc against a team like Buffalo in the playoffs no less where a single breakdown can cost you a game. The same goes with Zherdev. Leino has kind of set himself up with his candor in that interview....you can be creative by keeping it simple...his line is not dump and chase anyway but don't do low percentage plays in the neutral zone or at the offensive blue line...Giroux has the same penchant but he's at least defensively conscious.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-13-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: sp
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Are you implying he's light in his many pairs of loafers?

Old
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Part of the problem is exactly that his style was such a departure from the rest of the team's offensive strategies that defenses were unprepared, and gave him a lot of room. Then they watched him. This year, they're more aggressive when defending Leino, and it causes a lot of careless mistakes and turnovers. He's going to need to dump it in every once in a while and let his line draw some of the defense before attempting his fancy maneuvers.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:50 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Really thought you were gonna have "docking" in there over "hugging."

But, since that leaves the docking door open no, you're right, let's drink.
Can I join? I got an anteater.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Part of the problem is exactly that his style was such a departure from the rest of the team's offensive strategies that defenses were unprepared, and gave him a lot of room. Then they watched him. This year, they're more aggressive when defending Leino, and it causes a lot of careless mistakes and turnovers. He's going to need to dump it in every once in a while and let his line draw some of the defense before attempting his fancy maneuvers.
This is true..obviously they have a book on the line now and what to do against Leino to rush him. I can't recall but Leino is the one rushing the puck on that line the most right? Briere works behind the net and around the hash marks and Hartnell bumps and crashes. Wonder if Briere should carry the puck more...just thinking out loud...TOL

Old
04-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
This is true..obviously they have a book on the line now and what to do against Leino to rush him. I can't recall but Leino is the one rushing the puck on that line the most right? Briere works behind the net and around the hash marks and Hartnell bumps and crashes. Wonder if Briere should carry the puck more...just thinking out loud...TOL
Briere has transitioned into more of a goal scoring role on that line simply because Leino can carry the puck and dish well, yeah. I wouldn't be shocked to see Briere a bit more assertive in puck possession now, though.

Old
04-13-2011, 03:10 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Briere does carry it into the zone a lot as well. When they were successful it seemed like they would dump and be relentless on the forecheck, whereas now they'd rather carry it in a set up plays. It's not as effective for them. And probably wouldn't be effective for any line with Scott Hartnell. He needs to be able to use his size.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Briere does carry it into the zone a lot as well. When they were successful it seemed like they would dump and be relentless on the forecheck, whereas now they'd rather carry it in a set up plays. It's not as effective for them. And probably wouldn't be effective for any line with Scott Hartnell. He needs to be able to use his size.
Were they dumping when they were successful..I'm not so sure? Leino seemed to protect the puck better carrying it up the ice and maybe his hip is limiting him now..not sure. Will have to watch the line closer and their tendencies...

Old
04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Jester

I just think the team needs to start reading the defense better... they got to use to carrying it up, and now teams are trapping 'em and whatnot and they're not adjusting. There's a time to skate it into the zone, and a time to dump it in.

Old
04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I just think the team needs to start reading the defense better... they got to use to carrying it up, and now teams are trapping 'em and whatnot and they're not adjusting. There's a time to skate it into the zone, and a time to dump it in.
Good point...they need to adapt as a line depending on what kind of defense they are facing. Same goes with the other lines. Last 30 games lots of shortcuts and lack of attention to detail or intensity for that matter. If you don't move your feet in this system and dictate the play you have turnovers and bad penalties. It just really comes down to hard work and mental fortitude. Hopefully, the intangible advantage of being experienced in the playoffs and going as far as they did last year will provide an edge over the Sabres but if they don't want to work, continue to take short cuts etc..yeah they will not make it out of the 1st round.

Old
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM
phillyfanatic

Hard to point at Leino for the past X number of games since, Briere has been hurt, Leino has had different linemates every night (he is magic only when playing with players able to match his skill, hence he and Briere), the team has sucked, etc.

Game 1 of Leinos season is tomorrow night. I'll start my judging then.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Jester

No, it's pretty easy to point at Leino. He's been playing crappy hockey and making stupid decisions, which is why he's drawn the coach's ire on at least two occasions with benchings.

Old
04-13-2011, 05:18 PM
mirimon

Leino definitely needs to pick up his play. Hopefully he has the same kind of playoffs as he had last year. He needs to get his nose a little dirty I think. That's one of the things that surprised me the most about him last year, he was often found in front of the goal (and was doing a great job there as well), now he is to often turning to the corners.

Also, those giveaways would be nice if they stopped.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Larry44

Quote:
No, it's pretty easy to point at Leino. He's been playing crappy hockey and making stupid decisions, which is why he's drawn the coach's ire on at least two occasions with benchings.
I'll cut Leino some slack because he was nursing a hip injury at some point recently, but you are spot on re: turnovers.

You have to take what they give you, and if they stand up 5 across the blue line, you can't carry it in - you have to have a plan to dump it in and get it back.

Then, when they start turning to cheat on the dump ins, you can carry it once in a while and surprise'em. Read and react.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Can I join? I got an anteater.
Absolutely! Always room for more.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Whether or not it's deliberate, I'm going to say kudos for the title being a Casablanca reference.

Never thought I'd see one around here other than making it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotScore View Post
Casablanca. One of my favorite movies of all time. Second only to The Passion of The Christ imo.

I could watch it every day and never get tired of it.
Well, since you guys are such big fans of "Casablanca", you should know why the title is not a "Casablanca" reference.

If anything it's more of a Woody Allen reference.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Well, since you guys are such big fans of "Casablanca", you should know why the title is not a "Casablanca" reference.

If anything it's more of a Woody Allen reference.
Or, maybe I'll stay ignorant and think of how much a babe Ingrid Bergman is. Dick.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:34 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Or, maybe I'll stay ignorant and think of how much a babe Ingrid Bergman is. Dick.

Sorry. I just figured someone who is a fan of the movie would know that the line, "Play it again, Sam" was never uttered in that movie.

And yes. Ingrid Bergman was a total babe.

Oh, and Leino sucks.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote