HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you support?

Old
04-13-2011, 02:55 PM

vCash: 500
Who do you support?

I'm genuinely shocked at this thread on the main board. There are guys in it who follow 5 different teams. I totally cannot understand it. In all sports I have one team. The whole point of team sports is 'us against them'. You're alone against the attacking hoardes with only your intrepid heroes to believe in.

If you support 1/6 of the league, that must be diluted down beyond a significant level surely?

So who do you support? I get the feeling the Flyers fanbase may be a bit more....aggressive in their support than others.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
hof2120

My team is the Flyers...nobody else.

I do, however, like other players from other teams. Datsyuk is one of my favorite players. I also respect other organizations such as the Wild, who have an incredible fan base despite their mediocrity. But when it comes down to it, when Datsyuk is playing the Flyers I'd love nothing more than to see him get his ass dropped.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I'm genuinely shocked at this thread on the main board. There are guys in it who follow 5 different teams. I totally cannot understand it. In all sports I have one team. The whole point of team sports is 'us against them'. You're alone against the attacking hoardes with only your intrepid heroes to believe in.

If you support 1/6 of the league, that must be diluted down beyond a significant level surely?

So who do you support? I get the feeling the Flyers fanbase may be a bit more....aggressive in their support than others.
I do not wish any other teams well, I do not support other teams, and I could care less about the success of anyone else. I only cheer and support the flyers religiously. I have always had the opinion of people who support multiple teams are not true die hard fans, because I just could not do it

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I have degrees of support for various teams. Like my soft-spot for the Avs; I would never root for the Avs over the Flyers, but I like their players and their games were a lot of fun to watch in the 90s. To a lesser degree, I support teams like the Coyotes and the Isles because I want to see the less successful teams ice competitive rosters.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
I do not wish any other teams well, I do not support other teams, and I could care less about the success of anyone else. I only cheer and support the flyers religiously. I have always had the opinion of people who support multiple teams are not true die hard fans, because I just could not do it
Sorry to be a pedant, but it's 'couldn't care less' That one always bugs me!

I agree wholeheartedly on your last point though, you can't be diehard for two teams.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
The Saw Is the Law

I try to follow and watch as many teams as possible. Some teams I follow continuously and others not so often. But I'm not cheering for all them.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Flyers

/end

I mean there are some teams I wish well, like the Stars, just because I like their players (Eriksson, Benn, Morrow are all made of awesome). But when they lost to the Wild I didn't lose any sleep over it but rather started looking forward to VAN/CHI.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

'eh yeah don't understand that either. I have always like the Dallas Stars since I was a little kid - never as much as any Flyers teams, but I loved Modano growing up. So when it comes to it I will route for Dallas whenever they play anyone but the Flyers, gives you a fun competitive reason to follow the other conference too IMO. But I could never route for another team in the East... when it comes down to it if the Flyers are eliminated in any given year, I simply pick teams I dislike the least and hope they beat teams I dislike the most and pull for them to win.

I don't really have an AFC team in football I care for though, just whomever it playing against the Pats/Steelers/Indy any given week hahaha.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Just the Flyers, if the Flyers get knocked out early (hopefully not), I'll jump on a bandwagon.

In the regular season I just support other players I like (Iginla, Backes, Doan, Parise, Jack Johnson, Miller)

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Cartsiephan*

#17 and #18.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
facts

FLYERS live and die

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Miss Mess

5 teams?! Gross.

I root for the Flyers only.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Brindy fan?

The Flyers. I tend to root for Dave Tippett's teams and Joel Quenneville's teams because they're ex-Whalers and I was a bleed-green Whalers fan (tough to root for Q's Hawks though), and I love the sport so I'll often flip a game on and end up rooting for somebody...but this whole multiple teams thing is weird to me. It's sort of an extension of the NBA fan mentality, where you have fans saying proudly how they follow players, not teams.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Flyskippy

There are other teams that I like (Sharks, Stars, Canes), but there is only one team I love - and that's the Philadelphia Flyers.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
There are other teams that I like (Sharks, Stars, Canes), but there is only one team I love - and that's the Philadelphia Flyers.
Well said Skippy - I feel the same way. I like watching some of the Western teams play (Nashville, Phoenix, Vancouver) and specific players around the league, but I don't care whether those teams win or lose.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
#17 and #18.
hahahaha not sure if you are serious....Flyers are the only team I can root for. years past when they are out i dont watch.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Well said Skippy - I feel the same way. I like watching some of the Western teams play (Nashville, Phoenix, Vancouver) and specific players around the league, but I don't care whether those teams win or lose.
My favorite non-Flyer is Shane Doan. That doesn't stop me from wanting the Yotes to fold or relocate (stops here before going off on tangent).

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
My favorite non-Flyer is Shane Doan. That doesn't stop me from wanting the Yotes to fold or relocate (stops here before going off on tangent).
Personally, I hold out hope for the league to get over their snit with Jim Balsillie so he can move a team here. Phoenix would suit me just fine.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:44 PM
phillyfanatic

I can't even watch hockey unless the Flyers are playing. If they are playing, I am edge of the seat, favorite thing to watch. Never miss a game. If the Caps and Pens are on TSN, Meh, don't give a **** so why bother.

I will watch playoff hockey (non Flyers), but not really. IF it is on, I will watch, but unless I have the passion of rooting for a team, I don't watch.

No passion of mine matches Flyer love. This team is in my blood.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:41 PM
mirimon

There are a bunch of players around the league I like, and I think the organizations that manage to build from within (without being awful for four-five years or so...) are to be commended. I also have a soft spot for two teams, Montreal (it's my brothers favourite team, and, as long as they don't beat us, he deserves to be happy) and Los Angeles. Not really sure why the last one is, it's just always been my team to wish well onto in the west.

I don't really care for any other team than the Flyers though. I want LA to beat San Josť, but if they don't it's no big deal. If we don't beat the Sabres though, I might need a new computer...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Flyerfan4life

there is only one true luv..

Orange n Black foreva.

if it aint Flyers related im not interested

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Orange Crush 89

Flyers, but if they're not in it there are a couple teams out west that I'd "like" to see win the cup, but don't really follow them. Like this year, if Philly doesn't win, I wouldn't mind seeing the Yotes win it.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I support players, not teams.

Flyers is it for me. But I like various players on various teams.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The only sports I root for multiple teams is in college sports, but even then I root for Rutgers first and foremost, then several other teams I want to win. In pro sports its Philadelphia and nothing else. The worst are the fans who say their two favorite teams are heated rivals. I have friends who like the Mets and the Phillies. Or the Giants and the Eagles. I'm sure there are more in other regions, but fans like that bug me.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

RED WINGS. No doubt. 100%.

But always Flyers over Wings.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote