HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Gabby make a difference?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
  #26
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
This one looks more like a 3rd liner...
lol, that's not true. A 60 point winger is still a 1st/2nd liner on every team in the league. Comparatively speaking, though, I get the reason for your hyperbole. A drop off from top 5 winger in the league to top 30 is HUGE. We're talking about the difference from Iginla and Clarke McArthur, basically.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
  #27
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
lol, that's not true. A 60 point winger is still a 1st/2nd liner on every team in the league. Comparatively speaking, though, I get the reason for your hyperbole. A drop off from top 5 winger in the league to top 30 is HUGE. We're talking about the difference from Iginla and Clarke McArthur, basically.
That comment more or less came from my impressions from Gabby's crappier games this season... He just gets nullified so easily... Doesn't always make the opposing team' defensemen work very hard to contain him... Makes some bad decisions with the puck along the boards, etc.... You look at how attentive our team has to be to contain Kovalchuck, who skates himself into shooting lanes and open space with the puck on his stick, and it leads me wanting a lot more from Gaborik... I wish he would stop using that same ineffective 'push the puck around the defender' move that never seems to work for him.... Deviate from his normal tendencies and dump the puck in and use his speed to beat the defender to it and look to set up in the offensive zone or feed somebody with a pass.... He's got to change things up and go outside his comfort zone if he's going to find some results while he's struggling.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
  #28
Machinehead
Moderator
Get Well Gordie
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,166
vCash: 500
Of course he makes a difference. If Gaborik is the same Gaborik we saw all season, it's gonna be tough. If Gaborik is real Gaborik, then we're one of the biggest threats in the playoffs.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
  #29
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
When he's on his game, he's the best forward on this team. Period. No one is even close to his talent level.

If we wanna move forward in the playoffs Gaborik has to produce.

That being said, I think he's gonna have a real bounce back year next year.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
  #30
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
I've got an idea...how bout Torts benches him a bunch of times? That'll work.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
  #31
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Personally, I think Dubinsky is more important for us.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 06:06 PM
  #32
Machinehead
Moderator
Get Well Gordie
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Personally, I think Dubinsky is more important for us.
If Dubinsky is on his A game he's a potential 30 goal scorer. If Gaborik is on his A game he's a guaranteed 40 goal scorer. Which has more value?

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 06:10 PM
  #33
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If Dubinsky is on his A game he's a potential 30 goal scorer. If Gaborik is on his A game he's a guaranteed 40 goal scorer. Which has more value?
One skates like he means most of the time. One skates like he's not motivated most of the time.

Which ones more valuable?

That being said go out there Gabby and show us what your made of.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
  #34
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If Dubinsky is on his A game he's a potential 30 goal scorer. If Gaborik is on his A game he's a guaranteed 40 goal scorer. Which has more value?
I'm as big a Gaborik fan as you're going to find around here, but your asinine logic isn't relevant.

Gaborik finds open space and capitalizes on opportunities.

Dubinsky can not only dominate shifts, but games.

That type of play is what playoff hockey is all about.

In case you haven't realized, teams haven't given Gabby much space this year. There's even less come playoff time.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:29 PM
  #35
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
One kills penalties, fights, controls the puck, plays with effort and grit, can score...

One floats, is generally a non factor, but can put up points (usually against bad teams) solely because of his skill...

Dubinsky is FAR more important to the Rangers.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:35 PM
  #36
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Personally, I think Dubinsky is more important for us.
undoubtedly yes.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
  #37
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,537
vCash: 500
IDK, if Gaborik is playing at the top of his game, he's a game changer. He will score goals with his lethal shot from just about anywhere. However, when he's off his game, he's as worthless as a goon.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:57 PM
  #38
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
im sick of Gaborik pulling the houdhini act its getting ridiculous now

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
  #39
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,438
vCash: 500
He needs to start burying his chances. Bah. Ugh. Oy. **** **** ****ity ****

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:08 PM
  #40
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,703
vCash: 500
He looked better tonight, but if he's not generating offense or scoring goals, it's all for naught anyway.

Gabby's a sniper and is obviously at his best when he is scoring goals. He's not a Jagr-type that can be effective by controlling the offense and carrying the puck when he's not scoring goals. He needs to capitalize when he gets a good scoring opportunity.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:18 AM
  #41
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of him scoring a lot in the playoffs. There are real, legitimate reasons as to why his numbers are down. None of those reasons have gone away, and the bad teams are all out of the picture.

If you want Gaborik to put up goals and points, then you'd better hope that the Rangers make an effort to put him in a position to do so next season. But then again, the changes that need to be made to help Gaborik are the changes that need to be made to help the team as a whole. Otherwise, it'll be another year of Gaborik not making an impact, and the team barely making the playoffs...or not making them at all.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:20 AM
  #42
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
I feel like just because Gaborik put up 42 or whatever goals last season that people expect him to pick the puck up behind the net, dangle through 2 defenders and roof one top cheese every other game. Obviously this is an exaggeration but he's never been that type of player and he never will be so why are we bumming out so hard when he's not scoring? Look at his linemates. Tonight he was on a line with Vinny and Anisimov. I love both those guys, but Vinny isn't getting any younger and isn't an elite talent to begin with and Anisimov is still developing. Gaborik is an elite talent-but not by himself, and I thought the exact same thing last year even with his monster stats. Gaborik takes advantage of bad goaltending, period and unfortunately for him there hasn't been much of that this year outside of Toronto and Edm and there definitely won't be any now.


As much as I hate to say it, Richards next year really is the next step for this team to be elite. Gaborik is very rarely the type of player these days that creates his own offense. He rarely has the puck on his stick for more than a few seconds and he has the creativity of Jed Ortmeyer. What he does have though, is a shot that anyone in the NHL would kill for. Get this man the puck in high % scoring areas and you SHOULD get your goals out of him (I say should because I wanted to cry after he didn't bury that shot 3 feet in front of Neuvirth tonight). Richards is the guy that will do that and is IMO the perfect compliment to Gaborik. God help us all though if he pulls a Redden when we throw the world at him this offseason.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:20 AM
  #43
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
I feel like just because Gaborik put up 42 or whatever goals last season that people expect him to pick the puck up behind the net, dangle through 2 defenders and roof one top cheese every other game. Obviously this is an exaggeration but he's never been that type of player and he never will be so why are we bumming out so hard when he's not scoring? Look at his linemates. Tonight he was on a line with Vinny and Anisimov. I love both those guys, but Vinny isn't getting any younger and isn't an elite talent to begin with and Anisimov is still developing. Gaborik is an elite talent-but not by himself, and I thought the exact same thing last year even with his monster stats. Gaborik takes advantage of bad goaltending, period and unfortunately for him there hasn't been much of that this year outside of Toronto and Edm and there definitely won't be any now.


As much as I hate to say it, Richards next year really is the next step for this team to be elite. Gaborik is very rarely the type of player these days that creates his own offense. He rarely has the puck on his stick for more than a few seconds and he has the creativity of Jed Ortmeyer. What he does have though, is a shot that anyone in the NHL would kill for. Get this man the puck in high % scoring areas and you SHOULD get your goals out of him (I say should because I wanted to cry after he didn't bury that shot 3 feet in front of Neuvirth tonight). Richards is the guy that will do that and is IMO the perfect compliment to Gaborik. God help us all though if he pulls a Redden when we throw the world at him this offseason.
I agree with you on the top cheese thing, but Gaborik was an elite talent on his own. He has never played with other elite talent. In Minnesota, it was like PM Bouchard and an inconsistent Demitra, and last year he had Christensen and Prospal. Gaborik has always been able to find the lanes, and his speed and shot helped him. Unfortunately, both seem somewhat off this year. Maybe Torts needs to let him cherry pick a bit, i dunno, but he looks like garbage. I may even be open to having him traded for a cheaper guy (maybe Mike Cammaleri)?
I just hope Brooks Laich doesn't kill us this series or else Sather will definitely sign him...for 4 mm, and then I'll cry.


And for Dubinsky, he is the perfect complementary player, but he won't do it on his own. When he is on the ice - he gets no room. He needs a linemate that can command the puck and carry the line. Unfortunately, I truly believe our best chance was Kovalchuk last year.
Its unfortunate Gaborik teased us for one year - because we would have Kovy if it wasn't for us having Gaborik.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:43 AM
  #44
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,144
vCash: 500
Neither Dubinsky nor Gaborik showed up last night.

This team isn't doomed they got badly out played and hung in there mostly because of Lundqvist but if they could get back to playing how they did in mid march when the beat the Habs and won 5 in a row they would take this series no problem.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
  #45
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
All aboard the Gabby Excuse Train! Plenty of room for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
There are real, legitimate reasons as to why his numbers are down. None of those reasons have gone away, and the bad teams are all out of the picture.

If you want Gaborik to put up goals and points, then you'd better hope that the Rangers make an effort to put him in a position to do so next season.
But then again, the changes that need to be made to help Gaborik are the changes that need to be made to help the team as a whole. Otherwise, it'll be another year of Gaborik not making an impact, and the team barely making the playoffs...or not making them at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
I feel like just because Gaborik put up 42 or whatever goals last season that people expect him to pick the puck up behind the net, dangle through 2 defenders and roof one top cheese every other game.
I wonder how Richards will help Gaborik when Gaborik has 2 POINT BLANK chances and yet again cannot score. He won't. Because Richards can't make New York not be New York. And Richards can't turn a playoff game in to a Tuesday night game in November.

If you want to pay a guy $7m to stick lift or reverse the puck in to the corner to no one, you got the right guy, because he might be the best in the league at it. But he's not going to score in a big spot. He will never be a go-to guy in a big spot. Not because he's not that kind of player, it's because he lacks the mental fortitude (nuts) to get it done when the spotlight is on him.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
  #46
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Not because he's not that kind of player, it's because he lacks the mental fortitude (nuts) to get it done when the spotlight is on him.
I love how everybody on this board is a psychologist

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
  #47
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,988
vCash: 500
Gaborik's game is the polar opposite of the identity the rest of the team has carved out. Hes never going to be a force on the forecheck, and hes never going to be a player that imposes his will every shift. Hes always been a stealthy type player...issue is, he was cashing in on the handful of chances he got per game last year and hasnt been doing it this season.

Those expecting him to be a dominant force throughout any given game are going to be disappointed. He can best serve this team by potting a goal here and there out of nowhere on the rush and/or being a force on the powerplay. He hasnt been able to do either all season, so heres hoping he can do it in the playoffs...didnt happen last night.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
  #48
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 500
Gaborik is “thinking” too much and when a person with his natural talent has to think about what always was
Instinctual, they falter. He either shoots the puck as soon as it’s on his stick, or he holds on to it too long and the scoring chance is gone. He under/over skates in the offensive zone. He’s not playing confident for one or more reasons. His shoulder may not have ever regained full strength and he is unable to adjust his game? Torts’ system?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:50 AM
  #49
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of him scoring a lot in the playoffs. There are real, legitimate reasons as to why his numbers are down. None of those reasons have gone away, and the bad teams are all out of the picture.

If you want Gaborik to put up goals and points, then you'd better hope that the Rangers make an effort to put him in a position to do so next season. But then again, the changes that need to be made to help Gaborik are the changes that need to be made to help the team as a whole. Otherwise, it'll be another year of Gaborik not making an impact, and the team barely making the playoffs...or not making them at all.
Sting, I agree in regards to Gaborik needing a running mate like Richards who will better put him in positions to succeed. But at the same time, I struggle with validating that thought given he scored 42 goals basically by himself last season being primarily centered by Erik Christensen. Whether that was an abberation or not, hes proven he can go at it alone here in New York.

It leads to excuses/wild speculation that'll make your head spin. Is he injured? Is he overthinking it? Has the identity this team didnt have last season torpedoed Gaborik's effectiveness? Whatever the case may be, the simple solution is to pair him with an elite playmaker like Richards - if he underperforms then, there can be no excuses.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:07 AM
  #50
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sting, I agree in regards to Gaborik needing a running mate like Richards who will better put him in positions to succeed. But at the same time, I struggle with validating that thought given he scored 42 goals basically by himself last season being primarily centered by Erik Christensen. Whether that was an abberation or not, hes proven he can go at it alone here in New York.

It leads to excuses/wild speculation that'll make your head spin. Is he injured? Is he overthinking it? Has the identity this team didnt have last season torpedoed Gaborik's effectiveness? Whatever the case may be, the simple solution is to pair him with an elite playmaker like Richards - if he underperforms then, there can be no excuses.
I agree about the last part, but I will continue to contend the following: part of the difference is very likely nagging injury, but a big part of is simply increased attention from opposing defenses. Now, virtually every game, teams have a guy stick to him like glue, and with the cellar dwellers out of the picture, it's only going to be more of that from this point on.

Absolutely, you have to get him a center that can pass the puck so that he only has to worry about using his speed to beat a defender to a spot for that one or two seconds that a playmaker needs to feed him the puck. And yes, if that doesn't work, then you can pile on Gaborik all you want. But until that is the case, I don't see how blame can be directed at him.

I had absolutely no desire to see the Rangers sign Gaborik. I tried to stay positive about it, because he is a very talented player, but I thought it was a mistake from day 1. I wanted money saved instead for Kovalchuk. But I'm not going to blame Gaborik for the team's errors. It's hardly the first time Glen Sather has put together a team without considering how the pieces do or don't fit together.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.