HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving to Los Angeles

Old
04-12-2011, 08:24 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Moving to Los Angeles

Hey guys.

My name is Harry and I will be moving to Los Angeles shortly to work. My work place will be located in Beverly Blvd and I am wondering if there are any apt close to it?
Any suggestions on safe spots? I come from a very safe place in Montreal so living in a foreign city will be a shock.

Thanks for the help.

Harry

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Hey guys.

My name is Harry and I will be moving to Los Angeles shortly to work. My work place will be located in Beverly Blvd and I am wondering if there are any apt close to it?
Any suggestions on safe spots? I come from a very safe place in Montreal so living in a foreign city will be a shock.

Thanks for the help.

Harry
It really depends on where in Beverly Blvd but I would just live near the city in which you work because commuting is a biAtch!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:54 PM
onlyalad

Find a realtor. The location of your job and how much you can afford are the big factors. You may want to look at a condo to rent. They can be cheaper than an apartment and there are lots of them.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

As someone who has lived in both cities you are in for a massive culture shock. The idea of talking with a realtor is an excellent one.

Inglewood is not a very safe area but that was a joke anyways, just wanted to be sure you knew it.

Beverly is a big blvd so it matters where you work and how much you have to spend. There isn't any real public transportation systems in LA. Many will disagree but I am basing my opinion on what you might be used to in Mtl. Not even close to comparable.

There are busses and even a pseudo train line but the better you get to know them the more you realize why everyone and their dog/cat drive a car in LA.

Once you get settled there is allot to do and see in Southern California and there are even a few gathering places for Habs around L.A..

If you go through our archives here on the Kings board we have addressed the moving to L.A. thing in great depth and there are tons of excellent resources in those threads so take a look. People in L.A. are generally friendly and happy enough to help out a stranger but you gotta be careful about where you are as well.

Best of luck and make sure to go to a few King games too.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
LA is mostly safe just don't go to Compton, Inglewood, or Culver City.

I second the Realtor suggestion.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

I think the problem is that Beverly runs from Beverly Hills through Boys town all the way to East LA, Whittier and Hacienda Heights. If we knew what part we could give you a better idea of where to look. If you pick the wrong neighborhood you could be in for a major culture shock.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

You should really get a realtor if you want to do it correctly.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:03 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Thanks all for the advice. I guess I will get a realtor.

BTW, my work place will be located at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center 8700 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048. Maybe that could help shorten the search lol.

Old
04-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Rumpelstiltskin
Serial Ruminator

Using a realtor is a great idea; for some general suggestions, try this board:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/

Rumpelstiltskin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Using a realtor is a great idea; for some general suggestions, try this board:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/
Sweet. Thanks.

Old
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

That is a nice part of town. i dont think you really need to worry about crime over there. Traffic on the other hand..

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

If you draw a box on a map around the area east of the 405, north of I-10, west of La Brea Avenue and south of US-101, that is the general area you'll be looking at and it is generally decent (obviously some areas within that box are much nicer than others). Neighborhoods get generally nicer the further west you travel from La Brea. Downtown itself is VERY hit or miss (mostly miss), and I'd avoid living south of I-10. North of US-101 is nice as is west of I-405, but commutes will be a big factor. Traffic is generally hell all around where you'll be moving to, so do yourself a big favor and live close to work.

You absolutely should get a Realtor - and get one that specializes in the area you want to move to, as LA is far too large for one Realtor to know every neighborhood well. You may wind up using multiple realtors if you broaden your search area wide enough.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

What sort of things do you like about your current neighborhood? That'll help determine what areas of LA could be a good fit.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
santiclaws

Traffic around where you work is brutal. It's a nice area, so try and find something close, otherwise you will be hating life. The Four Seasons is very close, they will give you a break if you rent a suite by the month.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:48 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Say Whaaaaat?

Culver City unsafe? For criminals maybe. Culver City's entertainment area (where Culver Blvd and Washington Blvd meet) is very safe. FYI The city (its just a bit larger than a neighborhood) is a semi-modern Mayberry RFD and their police force is slightly to the right and just as brtual as the Brown-shirts or Gestapo.

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 04-13-2011 at 08:02 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If you draw a box on a map around the area east of the 405, north of I-10, west of La Brea Avenue and south of US-101, that is the general area you'll be looking at and it is generally decent (obviously some areas within that box are much nicer than others). Neighborhoods get generally nicer the further west you travel from La Brea. Downtown itself is VERY hit or miss (mostly miss), and I'd avoid living south of I-10. North of US-101 is nice as is west of I-405, but commutes will be a big factor. Traffic is generally hell all around where you'll be moving to, so do yourself a big favor and live close to work.

You absolutely should get a Realtor - and get one that specializes in the area you want to move to, as LA is far too large for one Realtor to know every neighborhood well. You may wind up using multiple realtors if you broaden your search area wide enough.
This post is right on. At Cedars you are on the eastern edge of Beverly Hills and near the south-western edge of West Hollywood. Both good safe areas, but in case you have a lack of tolerance or any phobias, West Hollywood has a large gay population. Still, a mostly nice and safe area. You can find places (apartments or condos)all around the area near Cedars. You'll also be central to much of whats going on in LA, but the area around the hospital is VERY TRAFFIC CONGESTED. Nevertheless, if you have a car bring it, public transport is not something you want to have to rely on in LA.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 04-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Say Whaaaaat?

Culver City unsafe? For criminals maybe. Culver City's entertainment area (where Culver Blvd and Washington Blvd meet) is very safe. FYI The city (its just a bit larger than a neighborhood) is a semi-modern Mayberry RFD and their police force is slightly to the right and just as brtual as the Brown-shirts or Gestapo.
Ya Culver City being an unsafe neighborhood to avoid was news to me top, I grew up near Culver City.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Thanks all for the advice. I guess I will get a realtor.

BTW, my work place will be located at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center 8700 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048. Maybe that could help shorten the search lol.
I have worked there before. Very nice hospital. You might also want to consider Sherman Oaks or Toluca Lake of the Valley. It is not a bad drive over Coldwater Canyon to get there. Sherman Oaks is very nice and affordable. Good luck.

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Culver City is the original birthplace of Kings practice rink mayhem and still has a good sheet of ice (last time I was there was a couple of years ago but I haven't heard anything about it going down).

You have to look for the really bad area's of Culver City and there are plenty of good one's in my opinion. I have friends all over that town and its always been pretty good to me. One summer I got my tail completely kicked by one of "Ralph's" karate kids there. Some guy slapped a girl at this party and I walked up to take him out. I didn't even touch the guy. I walked up and he turned around to meet me while putting his foot inside of my ear. I remember laughing for a second in disbelief before he was on me like a cat on any fuzzy little fast moving thing. I managed to get his shirt over his head and stun him with a punch long enough to turn and run out of the house with my heart in my throat. I made it all the way from Culver and Sup to the old MDR skatepark without touching the ground.

He was some guy with a beard and I was 16 but danged if he didn't hit me hard enough to where I still feel it whenever it snows which where I live is pretty often. I met Ralph one day and told him the story and he told me that he knew who it was and that I should take lessons from him. I guess in the end he was right.

Culver City has tons of great places to eat and if I remember right they do a concert in the park every week in Summer but what park I haven't a clue. Contact the guys at Blvd Music, they know all about that stuff. They also carry a great line of guitar's at good prices and will special order from a number of international luthiers for you if you know who and what you want, or so I am told.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Skyver

Culver City is pretty good. I guess some people just get scared easily by a few mad people.
Then again, for my standards, Compton and Inglewood are very damn safe. I live in a city where it's not strange to see a corpse hanging from the bridge and 5 blocks down the street a bag bull of bodyparts.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

If you do move to Culver City, I have just two things to say to you ...

Tito's Tacos

El Abajeño

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:34 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Johnies Pastrami too!!!

After a late night game a Johnies Special aint bad.

Skyver:

Holy crud I always forget you live in Med Col. Compton is disneyland compared where you live. Though there are parts of Med that are pretty.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:27 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Well this is a hockey board and seeing this reminded me of my favorite ESPY moment ever:

1. Drop your glove.
2. Catch Jersey.
3. Over the head and where I'm from we call this the Inglewood Jack.
What I say, Inglewood Jack, that's the way, Inglewood Jack, Ya, Ingelwood Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek9m9n8uiw0

A truly classic clip for any hockey fan.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:09 AM
hfboardsuser

On a related note, I'm a Radio and Television student from Canada who is interested in doing an internship in Los Angeles. I'm of course going through the usual routes, but if anyone here is or knows someone who works in the entertainment industry, please drop me a line by PM.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Kingurentai

LOL@Culver City being dangerous. Probably one of the most gentrified areas in LA in the last 10 yrs. Sony was forced to invest a lot into the community.

PS: Played mites through midgets at the Culver rink and have lived in CC as an adult.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote