HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2011, 09:51 AM
slitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The atmosphere was great and I agree that they made a lot of mistakes. Case in point the opportunity they had in the 1st half on the corner that was on the player's left foot, which he then barely made contact with the ball.
"the player" LOL it was califf

Old
04-10-2011, 10:02 AM
BestPlayerAvailable
RIP Ed Snider

Highlights- http://phitv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp

Looked like an awesome game

Old
04-10-2011, 02:26 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Highlights- http://phitv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp

Looked like an awesome game
it was. i mean i'm not booking tickets for mls cup or anything but this team just finds a way to get things done (the anti-flyers, who find ways to screw things up?). 4 league games, 1 goal against away off a great free kick from golden balls.hell they didnt have 3 wins until june 27 last year

Old
04-10-2011, 11:55 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
it was. i mean i'm not booking tickets for mls cup or anything but this team just finds a way to get things done (the anti-flyers, who find ways to screw things up?). 4 league games, 1 goal against away off a great free kick from golden balls.hell they didnt have 3 wins until june 27 last year
They're a playoff team. Especially with the new format. And we all know that anything can happen in the playoffs.

New York dominated possession for most of the game, but only managed one shot on goal (two posts). Philly actually seemed to have more good chances, but just weren't clicking offensively. After the goal they had a clear 4-on-2, which should be a slam dunk, but Le Toux flubbed it.

We lost the midfield battle, but our defense was solid. Also one of the cleanest games we've ever played, no cards and none deserved.

Once this team figures it out on offense, and they absolutely have the players, watch out. It's great that they've been underperforming and still have three wins. Three shutouts! They only had two shutouts all last year.

Nowak and the Union did a great job building the team from the beginning. They have a core of young players that is one of the best in the league: Mwanga (F - 19), McInerney (F - 18), Torres (AM - 19), Okugo (DM - 20), Williams (RB - 21). And that's not including any of the kids from this year's draft that have yet to show their stuff, like starting USA U20 keeper Zac McMath. Valdes is only 25 and has seen action for the Colombian national team. Le Toux isn't exactly old at 27.

The Union are set up to win for a long time.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
"the player" LOL it was califf
Sorry, I couldn't recall who it was. My bad.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
The U played a solid game on Saturday.

They're still missing any consistent attacking influence from midfield...Mapp's contributions are sporadic (if occasionally inspired), and Torres is a little ball of energy that lacks focus, but can produce moments of brilliance. Certainly, they missed Carroll after went down...although I will say that Okugo's play has matured significantly since last season.

One of my concerns is that, now that the team's a bit better, Le Toux is struggling a bit because he's playing a more defined role. Don't get me wrong - the guy still has a motor that won't quit. I just worry a little that perhaps he thrived last year because he had to run all over the pitch covering for teammates.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
IrishSniper87

I've been loving the Union this season, but I have yet to go to a game. Hopefully this summer. It's hard paying for school and being a Flyers/Phillies/Eagles/Union fan. I try to get to one game a year for each with multiple Flyers games, but it's expensive.

Anyway, I really like the U right now, but they need some serious help up front. Ruiz is obviously the target man and he is good at it. Le Toux and Mwanga though are having slow starts and we seem to lack a real threat on the wing with pace and crossign ability (Daniels and Mapp are ok). We need to see more offense, but hopefully that will come. Valdes and Mondragon have really anchored the back and Carroll is probably one of our unsung MVP's with his play in the CDM role. Man he is just so good back there. I was really worried when he left early with the injury, but Okugo got some playing time in his place, which is good.

I'd love the Union to run this instead of the 4-2-2-2 empty bucket.

------- Ruiz ---- Mwanga -------
----------- Le Toux -------------
Mapp/Daniels - Torres/Nakazawa
------------ Carroll -------------
Harvey - Valdes - Califf - Williams
---------- Mondragon -----------

The Union can sure use some upgrades, but a solid roster nonetheless. LB and the wings in particular could use some help. I'd still like to see a DP striker brought in (Drogba is a pipedream, but I would get his jersey, lol).

Old
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
The U played a solid game on Saturday.

They're still missing any consistent attacking influence from midfield...Mapp's contributions are sporadic (if occasionally inspired), and Torres is a little ball of energy that lacks focus, but can produce moments of brilliance. Certainly, they missed Carroll after went down...although I will say that Okugo's play has matured significantly since last season.

One of my concerns is that, now that the team's a bit better, Le Toux is struggling a bit because he's playing a more defined role. Don't get me wrong - the guy still has a motor that won't quit. I just worry a little that perhaps he thrived last year because he had to run all over the pitch covering for teammates.
I agree, he was everywhere last year, and this season he seems a little "lost" but it's early yet.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Drogba on the Union, hah.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
huh?

Old
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I'd love the Union to run this instead of the 4-2-2-2 empty bucket.

------- Ruiz ---- Mwanga -------
----------- Le Toux -------------
Mapp/Daniels - Torres/Nakazawa
------------ Carroll -------------
Harvey - Valdes - Califf - Williams
---------- Mondragon -----------

The Union can sure use some upgrades, but a solid roster nonetheless. LB and the wings in particular could use some help. I'd still like to see a DP striker brought in (Drogba is a pipedream, but I would get his jersey, lol).
According to a story on their site they are running a 4-2-3-1

Old
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Yeah, heard some Drogba to MLS rumors and got a little carried away with myself.

Seriously though, I'm sure we can nab a decent guy if we wanted. Philly isn't New York or LA though.

I expect us to continue the Colombian import business while sticking mostly to the draft, at least until we prove we can make enough money to even be worth bringing in a Thierry Henry-like DP.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
According to a story on their site they are running a 4-2-3-1
Yeah, they really are just sliding one midfielder up and down, but you'll notice that when they start subbing the formation changes.

I guess 4-2-3-1 has the usual back 4 with Migs/Nakazawa and Carroll in back with some combo or Mwanga, Le Toux, Mapp, Daniels, Torres in the AM roles with Ruiz the lone striker up top. Not bad, but the offense is not clicking yet.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:54 PM
KevinLin

Not like Henry has been worth his money...

Old
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

They'll definitely be looking around this summer, but they won't throw money at someone just because people recognize their name.

Old
04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
They'll definitely be looking around this summer, but they won't throw money at someone just because people recognize their name.
This.
Even in this teams second season, you can already tell that theyare a level grade organization that relys heavily on the structural and modest mentality that nowak

Old
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
This.
Even in this teams second season, you can already tell that they are a level headed organization that relys heavily on the structural and modest mentality that nowak has.
I could maybe see them singing someone at mid in the offseason, or mayb even sometime this season, to fill a DP slot. But don't look for them to sign someone just because people might have heard of them before.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:05 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
That game was great!!!!!!!! The stadium was moving after that goal. I loved it. Torres needs to play more if he wasnt so small. He gets this team going.
Quote:
The atmosphere was great and I agree that they made a lot of mistakes. Case in point the opportunity they had in the 1st half on the corner that was on the player's left foot, which he then barely made contact with the ball.
Quote:
I went to the game tonight and the atmosphere was great. They sold out the stadium, it was standing room only. The team still makes tons of mistakes and misses golden opportunities right and left but it was great to see a win.

Killed my phone's battery by constantly checking on the status of the Flyers game.
You guys sure you were at the right stadium? That game was horribly boring.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
We already know that you hate soccer.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
We already know that you hate soccer.
Don't think he hates soccer. He has a Juve picture in his signature.

Old
04-13-2011, 08:40 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Hater. ;-)

Seriously though, as someone who's been to all but two games, I thought it was one of the most enjoyable U games I've been to. Hypothetically speaking, RBNY is stacked. Our boys held their ground, counterattacked, and showed that they've grown a lot since last year.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:13 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Where I sit, there isn't a boring game!

Old
04-13-2011, 11:36 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Yep. Been to 8 games or so at PPL, I think I'd know which was the proper stadium

Old
04-13-2011, 12:32 PM
KevinLin

If you were there and didnt enjoy that game you are obviously a red bull fan or wouldnt enjoy any game.

Old
04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
slitz

leave him alone. apparently (according to his profile) he doesnt know if he is in italy or america

Closed Thread