HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who do you support?

Old
04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The only sports I root for multiple teams is in college sports, but even then I root for Rutgers first and foremost, then several other teams I want to win. In pro sports its Philadelphia and nothing else. The worst are the fans who say their two favorite teams are heated rivals. I have friends who like the Mets and the Phillies. Or the Giants and the Eagles. I'm sure there are more in other regions, but fans like that bug me.
We call those fans, Mets fans. A Phils fan would NEVER EVER cheer for the Mets.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Pretty hard for me not to be a Habs fan in Montreal. It is only recently where fans get watch every game of teams outside their area (and free).

But 5? The best I can do is once Flyers/Habs are out, I just go for the next Canadian team.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Flyersfan139

I only root for Philly sports teams. Period.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
BulkVanderHuge

For fans in North America: if there is a team for the sport you love, in your town or city, then they should be your team - unless you are a transplant.

If you don't have a team within a radius of 100 miles, then you are mandated to support the closest team to your residence.

Man law! *bangs gavel

BulkVanderHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
For fans in North America: if there is a team for the sport you love, in your town or city, then they should be your team - unless you are a transplant.

If you don't have a team within a radius of 100 miles, then you are mandated to support the closest team to your residence.

Man law! *bangs gavel
I don't ****ing think so. I live about 60 miles from Toronto.

I am a Flyers fan, a Tennessee Titans fan, a Kansas City Royals fan. I don't watch the CFL, and I don't give a rat's ass about MLS.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Terence Peterman

My "ex" wife keeps trying to get me to support "my" children, but I keep squeezing through the cracks like Nathan Gerbe does the bouncer at the gay bar.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

Man law! *bangs gavel
Generally speaking, proclaiming man law is one of the lamest things you can do.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
BealeStreetTyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Generally speaking, proclaiming man law is one of the lamest things you can do.
Agreed! I live near Calgary...Flyers = #1, tied for 2nd is the rest of NHL

BealeStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 12000
When the Bruins play the Habs, I worry they can't hear my old man's tirades from underneath 6 feet of dirt so I've been known to honor the ol' fart with a few "Southie" cheers (and fists)

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:52 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:

Man law! *bangs gavel

you can take that opinion and shove it up your ass.
Been a Flyer fan here in NH all my life. I will die a Flyers fan.
Dont like it? too ****ing bad.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:

Man law! *bangs gavel
right on bro, **** these other ******s

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Slowbro

i like to follow the kings and anze kopitar... but i am a flyers fan through and through.v

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:33 AM
StandingCow

I have other teams I like, but only until they play the flyers or have any effect on the Flyer's position.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:37 AM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

Flyers

/thread.

In G We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
There are guys in it who follow 5 different teams. I totally cannot understand it.
That means they don't know what it is to be a fan.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:24 AM
ORYX

Flyers are the only team I cheer and 'support'.

There are other teams that I have a 'soft spot' for because of certain players etc, but more so wish those players success as opposed to the team. Carolina is an example.

Other then that, its only Flyers. I couldnt imagine cheering for mutliple teams, it just defeats the purpose of competitive sport. If you have two favourite teams playing eachother, you can never enjoy a Win, as you have also endured a loss. Wild concept.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Pretty hard for me not to be a Habs fan in Montreal. It is only recently where fans get watch every game of teams outside their area (and free).

But 5? The best I can do is once Flyers/Habs are out, I just go for the next Canadian team.
So you can root for the Habs? I live in Boston, but once the Flyers are out might as well give me the Nashville Predators. I hope any team out of the EC gets swept in the SCF's if the Flyers are out. I would never siwtch allegiance to any team especially those whiny Habs fans and they grandstanding owners who would prefer to fake injury in lieu of letting players play a game.

The most embarrassing thing a fan has ever done over a sports team is to call the police to arrest a professional athlete who injured another player in a hockey related incident. If the Habs were the last team to choose from because every other team seceded from the league because the Habs chose to dive every play instead of play hockey I would choose to watch lawn bowling.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

I do support the Manchester Monarchs who are about a 30 minute drive away. I pay attention to the former Monarchs players in LA, but thats as far as it is for me supporting the Kings.
looking at the faces of all the Bruins fans, listening to the local sports radio was a beautifull thing after game 7 ended.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
infidelappel*

I root for teams secondarily to the Flyers.

For instance:

I hope Tampa beats Pittsburgh.

I hope Chicago beats Vancouver.

I hope Montreal beats Boston.

I don't want any of these teams to succeed in the long run, but think their pulling upsets benefits the Flyers.

I am, however, rooting for the Ducks to go far. And I think I'd root for Tampa to go far if the Flyers were to be eliminated.

Obviously the Flyers are my team, but there's usually secondary teams who I'll half-heartedly want to win if my team can't.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Flyers above all else, but I do kind of like the Ducks out west (Pronger was one of my favorites before he came here, and Selanne and Getzlaf are pure gun)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
We call those fans, Mets fans. A Phils fan would NEVER EVER cheer for the Mets.
Hope for a career ending injury. These are pretty good too.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Flyers #1. If the whalers come back, I'm gonna have to make a choice. Nashville is my 2nd pick if I had to, only because I usually end up on there in BAP mode on NHL11

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:07 PM
duffy9748

Flyers

Phillies

Eagles

76ers

Than I cheer against our rivals just as serious as I cheer for the Flyers.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
drownedsailors

I completely agree about the post saying all the upsets might benefit the Flyers; so I do want Chicago to beat Vancouver, Montreal to beat Boston and so on.

What's weird is that I actually watch A LOT of hockey from both conferences, if the Flyers aren't playing I switch to so many different games and pretty much watch all of them. I also follow the Western Conference A LOT because there's so much parody over there and it makes for good hockey.

You guys think you like the Kings, Coyotes, Wild and Predators (yuck) until you sit there and watch them play for the entire season. Those teams play defense all night because they don't have the offense to carry them, it's the most boring **** you'll ever see. Kopitar's a good player, but he's so lazy he goes MIA for stretches of the season. The Kings have such big players that are slow so when they play fast teams, they slow the pace down because they can't keep up. The Coyotes are fast but have no finish, and watching the Wild and Predators is like watching paint dry...Those teams might have great years and will make the playoffs, but they aren't winning the cup.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
BulkVanderHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you can take that opinion and shove it up your ass.
Been a Flyer fan here in NH all my life. I will die a Flyers fan.
Dont like it? too ****ing bad.
Ha! "all your life," i.e. when you decided to latch onto the team. How old are you? I'm not only asking because of your response, but because, before the advent of digital media, how did you watch the Flyers? Did you read boxscores in the paper, or did you get Prism in NH?

By the way, I was being facetious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I don't ****ing think so. I live about 60 miles from Toronto.

I am a Flyers fan, a Tennessee Titans fan, a Kansas City Royals fan. I don't watch the CFL, and I don't give a rat's ass about MLS.
What is your rationale?

Do you think that the teams that you have hitched your wagon to have pretty colors? Did a player you like, play for one of those teams? And were you an Oilers fan?
If it's the latter, Simon Gagne was a good player and a good person in the community when he was here. Far as I know, he never turned down an autograph and always kept his nose clean. He's in Tampa Bay now, does that mean I should support the Lightning? Because I couldn't care less about their organization.

I have a personal example: my late grandfather is from NYC. He used to cut Joey D's hair at his barber shop, and was a walking Yankee encyclopedia. When my mom was a child, her father would take her into the dugout during bp, something I had an opportunity to do twice when I was a little kid.
He always made me watch the Yankees on TV when I would visit him, not like I had a choice.

Should I be a Yankees fan? Even though I was born and raised in Philly, and grew up watching the teams that play here?

Personally, I don't understand it. But I give a break to the people who don't\never lived here that want to support our teams.

BulkVanderHuge is offline   Reply With Quote