HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where to Watch the Flyers in Pittsburgh?

Old
04-12-2011, 11:47 AM
TH1Pool

vCash: 500
Where to Watch the Flyers in Pittsburgh?

I apologize if there is already some sort of out of town Flyers fans thread, I haven't been able to find it.

I graduated college a few months ago and interviewed for a job in downtown Pittsburgh last week. I just found out I got it and start April 25th. First though.."awesome, I'm on my way to making it in the real world." Second thought..."Crap...I'm not going to be able to watch the Flyers playoffs or Philly sports anymore"

Can any former or current Pittsburgh natives suggest some bars/restaurants that would have the Flyers playoff games? I could be wrong, but I remember last year the first 2 rounds were local CSN Philly telecasts.

I'm going to be in Pittsburgh the rest of this week as well, and I would really like to see Game 1 on Thursday.

TH1Pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
kicksave27

Congrats on the job, my condolences on having to live in Pittsburgh. Sports bars are going to be your best bet.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH1Pool View Post
I apologize if there is already some sort of out of town Flyers fans thread, I haven't been able to find it.

I graduated college a few months ago and interviewed for a job in downtown Pittsburgh last week. I just found out I got it and start April 25th. First though.."awesome, I'm on my way to making it in the real world." Second thought..."Crap...I'm not going to be able to watch the Flyers playoffs or Philly sports anymore"

Can any former or current Pittsburgh natives suggest some bars/restaurants that would have the Flyers playoff games? I could be wrong, but I remember last year the first 2 rounds were local CSN Philly telecasts.

I'm going to be in Pittsburgh the rest of this week as well, and I would really like to see Game 1 on Thursday.
Anywhere you want.

Philly fans are boss wherever we go.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
TH1Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Congrats on the job, my condolences on having to live in Pittsburgh. Sports bars are going to be your best bet.
It hasn't really hit me just yet, but I've lived my entire 24 years of life in my hometown about 45 min South of Philly...it's going to be a big adjustment.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:56 PM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

As a Flyers fan/Pitt student/current and future Pittsburgh resident, it's a tough thing. Sports bars are your only shot, but the Pens quite obviously take priority everywhere, so you'll hafta catch games when they aren't playing. Where in the Burgh will you be living?

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TH1Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
As a Flyers fan/Pitt student/current and future Pittsburgh resident, it's a tough thing. Sports bars are your only shot, but the Pens quite obviously take priority everywhere, so you'll hafta catch games when they aren't playing. Where in the Burgh will you be living?
I'm not exactly sure yet where I'll be living. At the moment I am just searching for a summer sublet so that I can get better acquainted to the area and then make a decision on where I'd like to live long term from there. I'll be working on Penn Avenue downtown, so hopefully around that area in places like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Southside Flats, or North Oakland.

Can you recommend a particular bar that would for sure at least have the Flyers playoff games when the Pens aren't on also?

Old
04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Eric Lindros

Might want to try Fox and Hound, as they're a fairly large chain with locations in Philly as well. There's one north of the city on McKnight road. Along those lines, I'd go with any larger sports bar as they're bound to have enough TVs to show multiple games.

You might luck out finding a bar on campus in Oakland as well. I lived in Pittsburgh for the past 5 years (recently escaped) and it wasn't rare to see students walking around campus in Flyers jerseys during the playoffs.

As far as where to live, I lived in Lawrenceville (Davison Square Apartments) and that was just a 15 minute bus ride (3 mile walk) to and from downtown each day. Nice area, cheap rent, and you can walk/bike across the 40th street bridge to a great trail on the north shore that runs for miles in both directions (if you're into that kind of thing).

Good luck.

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
hof2120

I'll be attending Slippery Rock University (about a half hour or so west of Pittsburgh) in the Fall, and I'll definitely be investing in NHL Center Ice. So...Flyers games at my apartment? There'll be plenty of beer

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but as a resident of the District of Columbia on and off for the past 6 years, I've found some good places in the heart of Capitals' territory. I know it doesn't help the OP, but if you're in Washington, DC and ever need a place to watch the game, I can point you in the right direction.

We definitely need a thread of out-of-town Philly bars.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
ashamsmashem

armand's bar in bloomfield and gene's place in oakland have been known to put on flyers games occasionally. my buddy manages the bar above the qdoba in oakland and he'd be glad to put the game on.

also, th1, squirrel hill would be your best bet. not too expensive (i pay $300 a month +utils) and it's a real nice area. no drunk college kids running around, very little crime.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:10 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

i think most of the games will be on versus outside of the philly market, no? otherwise, nhl gamecenter live or center ice will be a good investment once you're permanently stationed out there. congrats!

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:23 PM
TH1Pool

Thanks for all the input guys. NHL Center Ice is definitely something I'll be investing in at the start of next season.

asham- Squirrel Hill is definitely an area I took notice to during my short visit for my interview.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
ashamsmashem

whatever you do don't live in oakland. it's like constantly being at a lame frat party, and also hearing helicopters and sirens 24/7.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:31 AM
BrindamoursNose

You don't. I go to school near Shippensburg and all you get is Caps/Pens. No bueno.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:04 PM
rjm488

It varies by game. Last year I was all over for the frist round. Game one at Buffalo Wild Wings in Monroeville, Game 3 was at Peters Pub in Oakland on a computer feed. Your best bet is to call around a few hours before game time and make sure it will be on before committing to a bar. PM me if you want to meet up and watch some games. If they aren't on National broadcast you can guarentee I'll be somewhere watching. I live down in southside now and am guessing Cupkas 2 will be showing a majority of them since they show all Eagles games.

rjm488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:38 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
You can always come by my place. I live in a Penguins-free apartment. I went to undergrad and grad school at Pitt and starting working out here as well.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

I work in a bar in shadyside called cappy's. Slightly overpriced and a middle qged crowd, but I don't have cable so if the flyers are on national tv I am usually in to watch, as an employee they don't really deny me the right to put them on.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I'll be attending Slippery Rock University (about a half hour or so west of Pittsburgh) in the Fall, and I'll definitely be investing in NHL Center Ice. So...Flyers games at my apartment? There'll be plenty of beer
bro **** trap

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
bro **** trap
Well, ****...thanks a lot big mouth.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:33 AM
TH1Pool

Thanks again for all the info guys. I'd definitely be interested in meeting some fellow Flyers fans my age in the area. I currently live with 3 of my best friends and we're all Flyers fans. Last year's playoff run was definitely one of the most fun experiences I've had in terms of going out with friends and really enjoying the games. It's going to be pretty hard leaving that behind.

I guess the least creepy way to go about it (or maybe it's the most creepy way?) would be to just shoot me a message on facebook and let me know if you know a place where the Flyers are playing, or if you have the game on at your place. I'm pretty friendly and easy going, so I won't get weirded out if someone I don't know yet messages me. (http://www.facebook.com/thpool)