HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neil Smith POVS

Old
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
mrhockey193195

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessRich11 View Post
Also, wasn't there a time when NS could've gotten Shanahan in 96 for Kovalev? DO you think he made the right move in rejecting the trade?
From what I remember, I think a Richter-for-Joseph swap was also a part of the trade. If it was just Kovalev for Shanahan, then I agree he should've done it.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ray Sheppard? Get the **** over it already.

Did Smith run over your dog? Cause you are going way overboard here, but hey, you sure think differently than most around here.

This is a thread about Neil Smith. Therefore, anything we are talking about will be from the 90s, aka a long time ago.

If we had a thread about Tex Rickard, we'd have been talking about the 1920s. It doesn't mean that I am not over it, it means that I have to look at facts.

Most of the statements about Neil Smith are purely emotional: we won't the Cup under his reign, therefore, he's my savior.

What I am doing is looking at his actual moves - move by move.

I don't care about Sheppard anymore, but it's one of the moves that he made. Same for all the other trades, signings, hired coaches, etc.

Smith lucked out by getting a team loaded with talent, plus he took over when the Russians began to come over but the league was still afraid to draft them early.

He also made one good trade. One. That's it. It was the most high profile trade, so it's the one people remember most, but he gave up a tremendous amount in other trades.

If Smith did not luck out by getting a team full of budding All-Stars, he would have been remembered as a horrible GM because his actual moves were terrible.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
From what I remember, I think a Richter-for-Joseph swap was also a part of the trade. If it was just Kovalev for Shanahan, then I agree he should've done it.

Richter for Joseph was something he tried to do, but failed.

Kovalev for Shanny could've been done had he thrown in Matteau, but no, he held on to Matteau until dealing him for 4th liner Ian Laperriere who spent his career getting a consistent 18-23 points per season.

The worst part of it was that Shanny desperately wanted to play for the Rangers his whole career. He would've been among the all-time great Rangers had he come to the Rangers 10 years before he did.

Old
04-13-2011, 06:57 PM
MessRich11*

Richter for Joseph?!! If Smith ever though about that, then he must've been put of his mind. Yeah I agree he should've gotten Shanahan when he had the chance. He probably would've helped them a lot in the conference finals vs. the Flyers.

MessRich11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

From what I remember, it was not a trade, it was him trying to sign Joseph and avoid signing Richter. When signing CuJo didn't work out, he "settled" for Richter.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:05 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
From what I remember, it was not a trade, it was him trying to sign Joseph and avoid signing Richter. When signing CuJo didn't work out, he "settled" for Richter.
Wasn't Richter claimed off waivers by like Detroit or something too?

Sticking to topic, Neil Smith was a recorded winner.
Without his decisions, we don't even end up with 6 of those banners hanging in the rafters at MSG.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Wasn't Richter claimed off waivers by like Detroit or something too?
He was days away from unrestricted free agency.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
dedalus

Neil - like almost all GMs - had both his ups and downs. He had one smashingly successful draft, several decent ones, and several miserable ones. He made several good deals, a number average ones, and several disastrous ones. He made a couple of good coaching decisions and a couple of poor ones.

As a manager of talent - trades, drafts - an adequate GM, nothing more. Delivering the hardware elevates his career.

Ironically, the current Rangers still owe Neil Smith one great debt of gratitude, that being hiring Martin Madden and promoting him to Director of Scouting. Why does that matter? Because Madden ran the 2000 draft, the one that yielded us the goalie who limited Ovechkin and Co. to two goals tonight.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:38 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Success...

...case closed.
If you're gonna post the ring, you've gotta post the real one.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote