HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marty St. Louis Gets high sticked...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2011, 12:01 AM
  #1
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Marty St. Louis Gets high sticked...

And had 2 teeth knocked out and a double root canal! Damn! What a warrior MSL is!

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:05 AM
  #2
IanMoran
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
And had 2 teeth knocked out and a double root canal! Damn! What a warrior MSL is!
How is it a high stick if St. Louis' head is at Michalek's knee

IanMoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:07 AM
  #3
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart
 
The Lollipop King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
It was a baseball swing (accidentally) in the face....worse than a high stick if you ask me

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:08 AM
  #4
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...
 
Montag DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 6,625
vCash: 500
I hate mouth injuries. What a warrior that St. Louis is. Hopefully they at least make the series interesting.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:13 AM
  #5
sonny side up
Registered User
 
sonny side up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the dark room
Country: United States
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
I really hope that the penalties are corrected tomorrow, tonight was a joke.. then again, so was missing three open nets by the Bolts

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:16 AM
  #6
Puckgenius*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: At the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
I still can't believe that went uncalled. I've never seen MSL so pissed off and he had every right to be. MSL is the last guy you want to be pissing off, he could very well go on a tear from here and dominate the series.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:26 AM
  #7
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,282
vCash: 500
That non-call has been virtually unanimously called the correct call by every nhl highlight show tonight.


Last edited by HuskerTornado: 04-14-2011 at 01:35 AM.
HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:54 AM
  #8
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
That non-call has been virtually unanimously called the correct call by every nhl highlight show tonight.
Ive seen you post this twice. And no it hasnt. NHL Network said it should have been called. Another Ref said it should have been called.

Maybe its been "virtually unanimously called correct" by the local Pittsburgh news stations, but thats about it.

It should have been a penalty. You have to be in control of your stick. Its the players responsibility. It should have been a high stick or a slashing depending on which way they wanted to call it.

And frankly, if you think its a good non call, then I hope Downie puts every Penguin on their behind on Friday and two hand chops them in the face. See if you think its the right non call then.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:06 AM
  #9
PensPlz
Registered User
 
PensPlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,005
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz




Even the pens announcers said it should of been a 4 minute call.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:12 AM
  #10
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
the Penguins and Chris Pronger have their own set of rules in the playoffs...
Pronger would've skated over his fingers while he was at it.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:49 AM
  #11
Zach6668
Registered User
 
Zach6668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
I'm actually kinda curious about that. The ref that was talking on whatever network said it should have been 5 for slashing, not high sticking.

The rulebook doesn't seem to take into account the possibility that a guy is laying face first on the ice, it just says any stick above the shoulders making contact is a high sticking penalty.

It all seems kinda retarded for me. Michalek wasn't swinging his stick, he wasn't slashing anything, it was just a clear accident caused by the collision. Since that's what I think happened, I don't think it's slashing. I guess by the wording in the rule book, it'd be 4 mins for high sticking, but I find that to be completely idiotic, given his head was at knee level.

I dunno, weird play.

Zach6668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:50 AM
  #12
coo1beans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
I watched the CBC feed. From all the angles they showed, however brief they were, I wouldn't consider that a high stick. He turned around and his stick swung around with him. It only hit him in the face because he was on the ice and his head was around where his knee was. I don't see how it would be considered a high stick.

coo1beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:20 AM
  #13
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
Kinda got low sticked.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:47 AM
  #14
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Pens= don't get penalties in the playoffs. We need to win anyway.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:49 AM
  #15
HangingWithMrCooper
Registered User
 
HangingWithMrCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Filthy South
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
A high stick - no.

A slash - yes.

Regardless of where a player is you have to be in control of your stick and if you thwack someone (especially in a vulnerable area) you should be held accountable.

But, the lack of penalties didn't cost the Bolts the game as the Pens outplayed us. Hopefully MAF isn't so wired in on Friday.

HangingWithMrCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:52 AM
  #16
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,679
vCash: 872
if you get hit in the face, youre a "Warrior". or just the participant of an unfortunate accident that likes to play hockey against guys who all make a lot of money for fun.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:55 AM
  #17
Saren
Multi Pass!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Terrible no-call. You can borrow our refs if you'd like, Bay fans.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:27 AM
  #18
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,498
vCash: 500
You are responsible for your stick. It can be an accident or on purpose, doesn't matter. You hit a guy in the face, that's a penalty.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:28 AM
  #19
coo1beans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSP0 View Post
A high stick - no.

A slash - yes.

Regardless of where a player is you have to be in control of your stick and if you thwack someone (especially in a vulnerable area) you should be held accountable.

But, the lack of penalties didn't cost the Bolts the game as the Pens outplayed us. Hopefully MAF isn't so wired in on Friday.
You can't honestly believe that. I don't have homer goggles on at all, I am a canucks fan and in no way shape or form was michalek reckless with his stick. He turned and the stick turned with him, he kept it low and if MSL was not in such an awkward position, it taps him on the shin and none of us even remember this miniscule moment in time. It was incidentally accidental.

coo1beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:47 AM
  #20
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
You are responsible for your stick. It can be an accident or on purpose, doesn't matter. You hit a guy in the face, that's a penalty.
Exactly... there were plenty of non calls for both sides though. Plus I think the non call when Downie got sticked in the face was worse.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:26 AM
  #21
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Ive seen you post this twice. And no it hasnt. NHL Network said it should have been called. Another Ref said it should have been called.

Maybe its been "virtually unanimously called correct" by the local Pittsburgh news stations, but thats about it.

It should have been a penalty. You have to be in control of your stick. Its the players responsibility. It should have been a high stick or a slashing depending on which way they wanted to call it.

And frankly, if you think its a good non call, then I hope Downie puts every Penguin on their behind on Friday and two hand chops them in the face. See if you think its the right non call then.
NHL Network's post game show said specifically that any good referee would have made the exact same non-call. All three at the desk agreed. I don't know what you were listening to.

I thought there probably should have been a call, but I'm not an NHL ref.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:09 AM
  #22
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975
 
Pens75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Duquesne Gardens
Country: United States
Posts: 2,949
vCash: 500
This is hockey, high sticks happen, they are not always seen by the refs, happens all the time. One or two non-calls during a game or series WILL happen, that is hockey. If you want to win the Stanley Cup, you have to overcome MUCH more than that.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:09 AM
  #23
Coldplay619
Registered User
 
Coldplay619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
NHL Network's post game show said specifically that any good referee would have made the exact same non-call. All three at the desk agreed. I don't know what you were listening to.

I thought there probably should have been a call, but I'm not an NHL ref.
NHL ref, Kerry Fraseeeeer, said it should have been a 5 minute misconduct last night on TSN.

Coldplay619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:24 AM
  #24
insomniac34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
I don't get how on earth people can think that a high stick should have been called for Michalek's stick hitting St. Louis in the face when St. Louis was five inches from the ice.
The whole point of a high stick is that your stick is high and out of control. That stick was barely two inches off the ice.

A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.
That is the rule. Was it above his shoulders?

insomniac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:27 AM
  #25
Coldplay619
Registered User
 
Coldplay619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
I don't get how on earth people can think that a high stick should have been called for Michalek's stick hitting St. Louis in the face when St. Louis was five inches from the ice.
The whole point of a high stick is that your stick is high and out of control. That stick was barely two inches off the ice.
A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.
That is the rule. Was it above his shoulders?
It's ruled as a slash then.

Coldplay619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.