HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marty St. Louis Gets high sticked...

Old
04-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Cowboy Dan
Reader Since '06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
Sucks for Marty. Definitely a penalty of some sort, don't like to see a guy get two teeth knocked out and some root canals and not even get a PP for it even if he's on the other team. That just sucks.
Pretty flawed logic. It sucks to see someone separate their shoulder on a clean hit and not get a PP for it as well, but obviously it happens numerous times throughout the playoffs. I personally cannot see how anyone can think that is a penalty, or how anyone can think that the Penguins were favoured in the reffing column in this game. I'd say the reffing favoured the Bolts, if anything, no matter the number of penalties or not.

As for the St. Louis situation, as has been said before, he got caught falling in an awkward position and unfortunetely got hit by Michalek's stick. If St. Louis is standing and this happens, whether it's intentional or not, obviously we see a 4 minute penalty. But given the circumstances, a no-call there is absolutely correct, in my opinion.

Cowboy Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
DreamBeaut

How about the trip on Kovalev?

Just because it led to a (sick) goal doesn't matter. How about the ref kicking a clear to St. Louis? Did the missing teeth make him miss the net?

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
I forget who did it, but in the 3rd period, one of the pens players grabbed a bolt's stick, pulled it to his face, hit himself with it, and sold it as him getting whacked and drew the penalty.

Explain that?
Umm, what?

What on earth does that have to do with this thread or what I said? Despite your contributions to this thread, it is not about pens getting favors from the refs, it is about the specific play involving MSL. If you want to talk about bad calls favoring the Pens, put on your tin foil hat and start a thread.

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
What planet have you been on? Every time a team loses its going to because the refs are out to get them and love the other team.
...especially when the Penguins are involved.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The injury to MSL is unfortunate, but that was purely accidental given a set of odd circumstances. Players need to be held accountable when their sticks are high and make contact with somebody's head, even if accidental, but penalizing Michalek for this play would be a perversion of the rules. The refs made the right call.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dan View Post
Pretty flawed logic. It sucks to see someone separate their shoulder on a clean hit and not get a PP for it as well, but obviously it happens numerous times throughout the playoffs. I personally cannot see how anyone can think that is a penalty, or how anyone can think that the Penguins were favoured in the reffing column in this game. I'd say the reffing favoured the Bolts, if anything, no matter the number of penalties or not.

As for the St. Louis situation, as has been said before, he got caught falling in an awkward position and unfortunetely got hit by Michalek's stick. If St. Louis is standing and this happens, whether it's intentional or not, obviously we see a 4 minute penalty. But given the circumstances, a no-call there is absolutely correct, in my opinion.
Have to correct you on that. Michalek was swinging his stick wildly, lost control of it and it hit St.Louis in the face drawing blood.
Michalek should have been given the penalty and extra for the blood.
Regardless of where St.Louis is, Michalek lost control of his stick.
Alot of penalties Tampa took were their own fault, but there were alot of penalties that were questionable from what i saw. Pens got away with more than Tampa did, plain and simple.

pirate94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Refs miss things. Moving on...

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post

how do you call a penalty on that? completely incidental contact.
that's a slash, you gotta have control of your stick.

Bad call, move on, hopefully tampa will get one in coming games to even it out

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
that's a slash, you gotta have control of your stick.

Bad call, move on, hopefully tampa will get one in coming games to even it out
If you are going to talk about slashing instead of high-sticking, the fact that the stick made contact with his face as opposed to, for instance, his arm goes out the window. So then you have to look at the speed with which his stick contacted MSL and I personally don't think that should constitute slashing. If it did, there would be slashing penalties all night.

In fact, I think it's questionable as to whether he even swung his stick as opposed to his stick coming around as a consequence of his body rotating.

Sucks that MSL was injured but I don't see how a penalty can be called on that play. Definitely not high-sticking and very marginal in terms of a slashing call.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
if you get hit in the face, youre a "Warrior". or just the participant of an unfortunate accident that likes to play hockey against guys who all make a lot of money for fun.
Players don't technically get paid for playing in the playoffs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Gooch

Quote:
I forget who did it, but in the 3rd period, one of the pens players grabbed a bolt's stick, pulled it to his face, hit himself with it, and sold it as him getting whacked and drew the penalty.

Explain that?
Well clearly it must be a conspiracy.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Pens1566

Thx Uncle Gary!!!!

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
DreamBeaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Players don't technically get paid for playing in the playoffs.
their contracts cover any regular season and or playoff games they may partake in, no?

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
AvalancheRy

His head was practically on the ice! How can that possibly be a penatly?! I am glad that wasn't called. We practically have a nanny league as it is, where every action could be interpreted as a penalty.

If St. Louis is on his feet this is a penalty. But come on, we need good agressive playoff hockey. Having players worry about taking penalties makes the game boring.

AvalancheRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay619 View Post
It's ruled as a slash then.
No, a slash is always made deliberaty, if it's by accident, it's not a slash.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Eli Cash

"61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing."

I don't think incidental or accidental contact like this counts when it comes to slashing. It's written in the rules as a "forceful or powerful chop" that is not an attempt to play the puck. It just looked like a really awkward situation all around, not penalty-worthy. Good non-call.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

So...... where's the high stick exactly??

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
No, a slash is always made deliberaty, if it's by accident, it's not a slash.
always made deliberately? how do you figure that?

Old
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Hale Dunter

Was he wearing a mouth guard?

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
Was he wearing a mouth guard?
yes he was. not that it matters

Old
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate94 View Post
yes he was. not that it matters
Not at all, just curious.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Burgs

Sorry to see MSL hurt as he's a classy and likeable guy but that was purely accidental. Both players are falling and Michalek's errant stick hits him in the face with his head at knee level. That's neither a high stick nor a slash, thus no penalty. Suck it up and move on, it's a 7 game series.

And there were several non-calls on both sides yesterday. One on Tampa even set up the game-winner when Kovalev didn't immediately get back into play after Kubina slashed him to the inside of the knee. Five seconds later Kovie had pretty much an empty net to shoot at.

Quote:
There would be if it was Crosby who got pegged in the mouth by a flailing stick, believe that.
The Crosby that got three teeth knocked out by Hatcher's stick (no penalty call either) in his rookie season and came back to score the game-winner?

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
TheStranger

"Have to always be in control of your stick on the ice, regardless of where players are" so if you fall awkwardly, where nobody in the world would have control of their stick and hit someone, it should be 4 minutes. But every couple games someone gets high sticked on a follow through, or back swing for a slap shot, and it's not called, as in the rules follow throughs aren't high sticks.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:49 AM
AaronIsles

I couldn't play hockey and not wear a mouthpiece. Incidents like last night, just further that feeling for me.

I feel bad for Marty though, but this is definitely going to ramp up his play in the series, believe me.

AaronIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
"Have to always be in control of your stick on the ice, regardless of where players are" so if you fall awkwardly, where nobody in the world would have control of their stick and hit someone, it should be 4 minutes. But every couple games someone gets high sticked on a follow through, or back swing for a slap shot, and it's not called, as in the rules follow throughs aren't high sticks.
You seem to have left out the part in the high-sticking rule that says 'A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders.' Note that it says above the height of the opponent's shoulders as opposed to simply 'above the opponent's shoulders'. In other words, if your head is below shoulder level, you can't be the victim of a high-sticking penalty.

Are there any clips of anybody getting called for high-sticking an opponent who is laying on the ice? If there are, I would love to see them.