HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Marty St. Louis Gets high sticked...

Old
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
TheStranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66871 View Post
You seem to have left out the part in the high-sticking rule that says 'A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders.' Note that it says above the height of the opponent's shoulders as opposed to simply 'above the opponent's shoulders'. In other words, if your head is below shoulder level, you can't be the victim of a high-sticking penalty.

Are there any clips of anybody getting called for high-sticking an opponent who is laying on the ice? If there are, I would love to see them.
Indeed. I've seen many of them let go in the past when players have been down on their knees along the boards and such. It shouldn't be a call.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Harry Hood

Harry Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:17 AM
pirate94

Quote:
You seem to have left out the part in the high-sticking rule that says 'A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders.' Note that it says above the height of the opponent's shoulders as opposed to simply 'above the opponent's shoulders'. In other words, if your head is below shoulder level, you can't be the victim of a high-sticking penalty.

Are there any clips of anybody getting called for high-sticking an opponent who is laying on the ice? If there are, I would love to see them.

notice how it says "above the height of the opponents shoulders" and not a defined height? In other words, above the shoulders can be any non-defined height, and does not state that a player needs to be standing.

pirate94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Of course, there was no call by the ref's because it was against the Penguins on the opening game of the playoffs. We can't have that now...
you talkin about the most penalized team in the league?

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
You are responsible for your stick. It can be an accident or on purpose, doesn't matter. You hit a guy in the face, that's a penalty.
thats not true, if its during the wind up or follow through of a shot it does count, as james neal. got clearly hit in the face a few games ago and nothing was called.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM
TheReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Birth Control View Post
"61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing."
If St.Louis wasn't falling and so close to the ice this would've been a non-aggressive incidental stick contact to the pant/leg area. No-call seems like the right decision.

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
stungun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kennedy View Post
their contracts cover any regular season and or playoff games they may partake in, no?
contracts are for the regular season, how could you pay someone for potential playoff performances? the teams split playoff money for each round between the players but it is not part of their contract or regular pay per say.

stungun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
Even the pens announcers said it should of been a 4 minute call.
People are still debating the issue when this statement was made?

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
If St.Louis wasn't falling and so close to the ice this would've been a non-aggressive incidental stick contact to the pant/leg area. No-call seems like the right decision.
but instead it was a stick to the mouth that drew blood.
If the official caught it, there should have been a penalty and additional for blood

Old
04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
lastcupever75

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo1beans View Post
You can't honestly believe that. I don't have homer goggles on at all, I am a canucks fan and in no way shape or form was michalek reckless with his stick. He turned and the stick turned with him, he kept it low and if MSL was not in such an awkward position, it taps him on the shin and none of us even remember this miniscule moment in time. It was incidentally accidental.
thank you

nice to hear an unbiased opinion on it.
the pens have seen this same type of call go against them.

it was just unfortunate that MSL face was down that low. as for the ones calling for a 5 minute slash penalty...if he's upright and ZM stick hits his leg...would you call that a 5 minute slash??..dont think so

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
TheReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate94 View Post
but instead it was a stick to the mouth that drew blood.
If the official caught it, there should have been a penalty and additional for blood
For what? Slashing? Can't be high stick because it wasn't high.
Read this guy's post, he says everything I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo1beans View Post
You can't honestly believe that. I don't have homer goggles on at all, I am a canucks fan and in no way shape or form was michalek reckless with his stick. He turned and the stick turned with him, he kept it low and if MSL was not in such an awkward position, it taps him on the shin and none of us even remember this miniscule moment in time. It was incidentally accidental.

Old
04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
pirate94

The announcers seemed to agree with St.Louis on it.
St.Louis wasn't upright and Michalek whipped his stick around and fell after agressively swinging for the puck. but the one-handed uncontrolled whip of the stick is what did the damage. He wasn't swinging for the puck at that point

Old
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
I forget who did it, but in the 3rd period, one of the pens players grabbed a bolt's stick, pulled it to his face, hit himself with it, and sold it as him getting whacked and drew the penalty.

Explain that?
Gamesmanship. Any veteran team does things like that.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Dacks

Accidents happen, people, jeez. You are responsible for your stick, yes, but there are extents to your liability. Michalek, wall falling, swung his stick at shin level. That's not irresponsible. Was it unfortunate that St-Louis happened to have his face right at that level? Yes. Doesn't mean it's penalty-worthy.

If somebody is in a vulnerable position and you intentionally take advantage of that - penalty (see the new headshot rule).

If somebody is in a vulnerable position and incidental contact results in an injury - tough luck.

If St-Louis were standing upright, Michalek's swing would neither be a high-stick or a slash. It shouldn't suddenly become a double-minor or major just because St-Louis fell.

Dacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
And had 2 teeth knocked out and a double root canal! Damn! What a warrior MSL is!
How does getting 2 teeth knocked out make you a warrior?

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

I heard a Bolts fan last night who said that the non-tripping call on Kovalev right before he scored the goal was intentional and that the refs knew the puck was going to come back to him. Not making that up.

Mark Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
boredmale

I only saw the highlights a couple times but it looked like St Louis was on the ground when he was hit, maybe it should have been low sticking

I am not sure what exactly the rules are if a guys face gets hit with a stick when he is on the ground, but it definitely wasn't "high sticking" although still might be 2 minute penalty(depending on rules)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Rakunitz23

Quote:
I forget who did it, but in the 3rd period, one of the pens players grabbed a bolt's stick, pulled it to his face, hit himself with it, and sold it as him getting whacked and drew the penalty.

Explain that?
You're talking about a high stick, this would have been a 'slash' IF it were called. You're just trying to be one of those people that justifies his stance against a perceived injustice by using the example of another perceived injustice.

Also, the rule for slashing clearly states that if its on the pants, or on the leg, it's ok. Michalek couldn't see St Louis go down, and the way he swung the stick, St Louis would have been hit on the leg if he were standing.

Either way, we won, you didn't, and I'm fine with that

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
notice how it says "above the height of the opponents shoulders" and not a defined height? In other words, above the shoulders can be any non-defined height, and does not state that a player needs to be standing.
So according to you, when I am sitting down my height decreases. Likewise, if I jump up in the air, I am taller. Makes sense.

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
boredmale

by the way here is highlights

Commentators seem to believe it was the right call(one sounds like Macguire)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

look it really sucks for MSL

but what the hell do you call it as?
it was not highsticking it was not spearing it was not slashing
it does not fit in any category

its one of those unfortunate plays that i just dont think theres a call for cause michalek didnt do anything on purpose and was within the limit of the current rules.

If michalek did it on purpose i'd go with roughing or an unsportsman like.

its one of those calls that i'd hit if it happened against one of my players but hate it even more cause theres nothing that could be called

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
pirate94

Quote:
So according to you, when I am sitting down my height decreases. Likewise, if I jump up in the air, I am taller. Makes sense.
how high up is "the height above an opponents shoulders?"

Old
04-14-2011, 12:54 PM
pirate94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
Also, the rule for slashing clearly states that if its on the pants, or on the leg, it's ok. Michalek couldn't see St Louis go down, and the way he swung the stick, St Louis would have been hit on the leg if he were standing.

If Michalek was in control of his stick, then there wouldn't be a thread on it. St.Louis wasn't hit on the leg or pants and Michalek didn't have control of his stick that he whipped out.

Old
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
so if a players is lying down and gets a stick to the face thats high sticking? even though the stick never left the ice?

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:13 PM
TheReaper

pirate94, just to clarify: Do you think it should've been a high-stick or a slash?