HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
so does Pearl get canned after today's embarrassment?
I can answer my own question with an unequivocal yes ... according to the Associated Press ... I believe he's done as a college coach

Old
03-21-2011, 03:26 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I can answer my own question with an unequivocal yes ... according to the Associated Press ... I believe he's done as a college coach
Unless maybe Calipari decides to retire and Kentucky needs someone who fits their culture.

Old
03-21-2011, 03:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...n_the_big-ten/

Could be bad if you are a UAH fan

Old
03-25-2011, 02:14 AM
Joppy

Just thought I would let you guys know that the Vanderbilt and Tennessee hockey teams are going to be playing each other at Bridgestone on Saturday before the preds game. Free admission, puck drops at 1:00. Here's a link to the event info for any that are interested. http://www.vanderbilthockey.com/?p=134

Old
03-25-2011, 03:39 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
Just thought I would let you guys know that the Vanderbilt and Tennessee hockey teams are going to be playing each other at Bridgestone on Saturday before the preds game. Free admission, puck drops at 1:00. Here's a link to the event info for any that are interested. http://www.vanderbilthockey.com/?p=134
go meteorite

Old
03-26-2011, 02:16 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I must gloat for a second about how proud I am to be a UK fan. Buckeyes

Old
04-05-2011, 12:00 AM
cleangene

How bout that NCAA Basketball Championship game???? Somewhere John Wooden is just shaking his head...what am I talking about, James freakin Naismith is shaking his head!!!

Old
04-05-2011, 12:42 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

So the US national team drew 29,000 on a rainy Tuesday night last week for a friendly against Paraguay.

Maybe now someone will finally get the hint and bring pro soccer to Nashville...

Old
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
So the US national team drew 29,000 on a rainy Tuesday night last week for a friendly against Paraguay.

Maybe now someone will finally get the hint and bring pro soccer to Nashville...
You know, I turn my back on MLS and BAM it's up to 19 teams and invading Canada and the US like Kudzu. If Detroit can get a team why not Nashville?

Old
04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Legionnaire11

MLS could definitely do Nashville. The large hispanic community would likely be enough to support it. Also MLS operates as one entire league rather than individual teams, so that helps too. It makes more sense than Lacrosse, and MLB is way down the road if ever. NBA is likely never a possibility and that's just fine with me.

BTW, is it today that new designs for a downtown ballpark are being submitted?

Old
04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Would the MLS team just use the Titans stadium?

What is the average attendance of MLS matches?

Old
04-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Legionnaire11

The stadium might be an issue. I believe MLS is pushing for all franchises to play in soccer specific stadiums, so it's not likely they would put a new franchise into a city that didn't have one.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
MLS could definitely do Nashville. The large hispanic community would likely be enough to support it. Also MLS operates as one entire league rather than individual teams, so that helps too. It makes more sense than Lacrosse, and MLB is way down the road if ever. NBA is likely never a possibility and that's just fine with me.

BTW, is it today that new designs for a downtown ballpark are being submitted?
The bolded is a common misconception. Most immigrants from Latin America - especially Mexico - support teams back home, and they maintain those loyalties after they leave. Jorge Vergara found that out when he tried to capitalize on the enormous Latin American population in LA through Chivas USA, which hasn't hit the league average since its inaugural campaign.

Plans weren't submitted for a new ballpark today, but some architecture students from UTK did present a concept they put together at the Civic Design Center, wherever that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Would the MLS team just use the Titans stadium?

What is the average attendance of MLS matches?
The average MLS team drew about 16,500 in 2010. The high-end teams draw 20k+. Seattle drew north of 36k, which is more than all but the elite of European clubs.

I don't really see MLS working at LP Field. They would have to routinely draw that 29k to avoid becoming the next New England Revolution (who play in Gillette Stadium to crowds of 12k and change). A new venue would likely have to be constructed. The only real issue is finding a good spot, because cost shouldn't be an issue. No soccer-specific stadium has cost more than $200M to construct.

There's still the matter of the $40M franchise fee, though. MLS is hardly averse to consortium ownership, so I guess that shouldn't be too hard to raise, but it could also make Division II a more attractive option because of lower operating costs and more relaxed venue demands. Four current or future MLS clubs (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and Montreal) have spent time in the trenches in the various D2 leagues that have been around over the years. We would also have a regional rival in Atlanta that we wouldn't have in MLS (the closest top flight club is Columbus, 400 miles away).

Whatever happens, I'd just like to see Nashville get its summer sports in line with the fall and winter sports. The Predators are heading in the right direction economically and have a great venue, and the Titans are the Titans. Giving the Sounds the new ballpark they desperately need and bringing in a fourth sport would really raise the profile of Nashville as a sports city.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:10 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I also would love to have an MLS team in Nashville. But like someone already mentioned, MLS is trying to get every team to play in a soccer specific stadium. I guess they could possibly play at vanderbilt's football stadium? It seems like most MLS stadiums range from holding between 17,000 - 24,000 if I remember correctly.

Old
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Holy crap and you thought NFLers had it bad. CFL player live on average JUST to 55. NFL is 53-59 so this is a sport wide problem.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1972521/

Old
04-14-2011, 02:00 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

Pregame some hockey with football

Vanderbilt's Black & Gold game is on Sunday April 17th with lots of family activities and stuff prior to the game. If you're getting antsy before the Preds game and just gotta get out of the house, take the kids down there and have some fun.

PS- parking is free and city buses pick up a block away on West End and can take you down to the arena for next to nothing, or cab fare from Vandy to the front gate of Bridgestone is only about $6-7 each way (thats what we paid w/ 3 passengers).

for more info on the game & activities:
http://vucommodores.cstv.com/

Old
04-14-2011, 02:12 PM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymcdeath View Post
Vanderbilt's Black & Gold game is on Sunday April 17th with lots of family activities and stuff prior to the game. If you're getting antsy before the Preds game and just gotta get out of the house, take the kids down there and have some fun.

PS- parking is free and city buses pick up a block away on West End and can take you down to the arena for next to nothing, or cab fare from Vandy to the front gate of Bridgestone is only about $6-7 each way (thats what we paid w/ 3 passengers).

for more info on the game & activities:
http://vucommodores.cstv.com/
I'm tailgating for this before I head to the Preds game. I'll be juiced by the time the puck drops.

Old
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

WHOOPS!!!

Unless BB is screwing with NFL GM's heads or they gave out a mock. Patriots allow a media outlet to broadcast the Pats ENTIRE positional draft board.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Well, it looks like the Sacramento Kings will be no more, now that Clay Bennett, better know as the second-biggest liar in pro sports (behind Jeff Loria), has been named head of their relocation committee.

The Honda Center in Anaheim has been talked about as the leading candidate for several months now.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:48 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I really hate Tony Parker.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:54 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Well, it looks like the Sacramento Kings will be no more, now that Clay Bennett, better know as the second-biggest liar in pro sports (behind Jeff Loria), has been named head of their relocation committee.

The Honda Center in Anaheim has been talked about as the leading candidate for several months now.
Enlighten me on Loria.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

[quote=SmokeyClause;32742175]Enlighten me on Loria.[/quot

See screwed expos to move team to.....Florida. I.e., the modern day Florida Marlins. He pockets millions each year in just revenue sharing, not to mention profit. Only spent money on the team this past season when the MLB essentially forced him to have over a 15 million dollar payroll. The guy is one of the scummiest owners in sports.

04-28-2011, 09:52 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
See screwed expos to move team to.....Florida. I.e., the modern day Florida Marlins. He pockets millions each year in just revenue sharing, not to mention profit. Only spent money on the team this past season when the MLB essentially forced him to have over a 15 million dollar payroll. The guy is one of the scummiest owners in sports.
Loria does run the Marlins like a business, and it was embarrassing when the MLBPA forced him to spend more money. However, in 2009, before the MLBPA pushed them to increase payroll, the Marlins had $43M in player expenses and had a net operating cash outflow for the year. The only reason their cash position was stronger was due to the withdrawal of $52M in funds from a line of credit.

I can't speak for what he did with the Expos, and he's certainly no Mike Illitch in Detroit. But the Marlins have horrendous revenues and don't make nearly as much money as we would think. If the MLBPA succeeded in increasing the Marlins' payroll to $10M more than they spent in 2009, the Marlins are hurting.

I dislike Loria for other reasons. I don't like how they outwitted the City Commission and the Miami-Dade County Commission and convinced them to $500M of taxpayer money to fund a stadium for a private enterprise. Studies have shown that sports teams DO NOT add significant value to the greater metro areas. Instead, they simply redirect funds that would have gone to movies, amusement parks, and malls toward the sports team and the immediately surrounding area businesses.

That Miami-Dade, which is broke and has incredibly high poverty, unemployment, and uninsurance rates, could divert $500M in funds that could have been reallocated to better uses is just sickening to me. If that $500M was given to Baptist Health South Florida for the sole purpose of caring for the un/under-insured, it could have resulted in care for an additional 300k-500k over the period the bonds are outstanding.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Unless maybe Calipari decides to retire and Kentucky needs someone who fits their culture.
How does Pearl fit into Kentucky's culture? It would seem given UT's recent transgressions that Pearl was and is a perfect fit for that university. In fact, he'd still be that perfect fit if his team had won. I think UK would be looking for a more quality coach. One that lands 3 Tobias Harris' a class, not one ever 3 to 5 years.

As for Calipari, the only legitimate blemish on his resume is the Camby situation. And something similar happened at Duke with Corey Maggette. The biggest difference between the Camby and Maggette situations appears to have been the clout of the university involved and the corresponding punishment.

The Rose scandal is the NCAA's blemish and not Calipari's, Memphis', Illinois', North Carolina's, Kansas' and any other school who recruited Rose heavily well after he had allegedly cheated. The NCAA cleared him and then went on the warpath when it was later found that he cheating might have occurred.

And because they couldn't ever prove anything thanks to Derrick Rose's lack of cooperation, they went with the unprecedented scorched earch policy of blaming everyone and unveiling the latest evolution in NCAA justice, "strict liability." Such a concept was conspicuously absent from incidences with Maggette and Darrel Arthur, who didn't even graduate high school yet his NCAA championship at KU stood.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Definitely dig the Jake Locker pick.

Closed Thread