HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2010-2011 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other) *Part 5*

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Put Stajcer in net @ Traverse City this year and weŽll see. Just my opinion.
Rangers have until June 1 to sign Stajcer or he goes back into this June draft.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Maybe the Rangers don't re-sign Johnson as a group II. He spent 40 days on the NHL roster this season and he carries a $140k summer cap with his QO. Johnson is eligible for Group 6 UFA next summer if he doesn't play 28 NHL games by the end of next season. Go with Talbot,Stajcer and Missiaen with the latter two splitting time with ECHL team. Johnson is not going to be a Ranger next with Biron under contract and he's an UFA next summer,why take the summer cap hit when you have other younger goalies signed.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Maybe the Rangers don't re-sign Johnson as a group II. He spent 40 days on the NHL roster this season and he carries a $140k summer cap with his QO. Johnson is eligible for Group 6 UFA next summer if he doesn't play 28 NHL games by the end of next season. Go with Talbot,Stajcer and Missiaen with the latter two splitting time with ECHL team. Johnson is not going to be a Ranger next with Biron under contract and he's an UFA next summer,why take the summer cap hit when you have other younger goalies signed.
Well, that would put an unexpected, early end to his seemingly guaranteed succession if Hank. So stop the presses, Lundqvist won't get traded after all!

In all seriousness: I think that would be the best solution. I don't really see a future for Johnson on this team, even after Biron's contract. Backup goalies are dime a dozen and can be had dirt cheap in free agency. And they all have proven far more than CJ.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Oshawa Generals Game 4 Highlights:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Rangers have until June 1 to sign Stajcer or he goes back into this June draft.
Ah ok, didnŽt know that. Looking on his numbers then we should give him a try?! Can somebody tell me about him? DonŽt know so much about Scott, would be nice!

Old
04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It shouldn't be hard to move one of them. In a package, or for a conditional pick.

Old
04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Oshawa is down 3-1 in their series to Niagara(Strome and Hamilton). Thomas might be available to sign an ATO to join the Whale.
Anyone watched the games? Chris has 18 points in 9 games so far, so he came to play. But there are a lot of goals that were given up. Is that poor defense or poor goaltending?

Old
04-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It shouldn't be hard to move one of them. In a package, or for a conditional pick.
I don't see CJ having value. At this point, if we can get someone to give us a 7th rounder for him, I would take it.

Old
04-14-2011, 01:00 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Anyone watched the games? Chris has 18 points in 9 games so far, so he came to play. But there are a lot of goals that were given up. Is that poor defense or poor goaltending?
Goaltending has been an issue, but the Icedogs are clearly > then the Generals. The Icedogs have been constantly smothering the Generals, taking away time and space, it's been hard for Oshawa to get anything going and when they do manage to generate chances Visentin has shut the door. Oshawa's only win of the series came in a game in which their PP was clicking (3/5), in the 3 other games combined their PP has gone 1/15.

Old
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

That makes Thomas getting 6 points in 4 games this series that more impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Goaltending has been an issue, but the Icedogs are clearly > then the Generals. The Icedogs have been constantly smothering the Generals, taking away time and space, it's been hard for Oshawa to get anything going and when they do manage to generate chances Visentin has shut the door. Oshawa's only win of the series came in a game in which their PP was clicking (3/5), in the 3 other games combined their PP has gone 1/15.

Old
04-14-2011, 02:54 PM
NYR Viper

Isnt Jason Wilson on Niagara?

Old
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I don't see CJ having value. At this point, if we can get someone to give us a 7th rounder for him, I would take it.
I think you could get a conditional seventh for him. Attach a condition that's unlikely to be reached, like appearing in 30 NHL games or something, and he becomes more attractive. I'm just thinking that if the team wants to sign Stajcer and evaluate these guys though Traverse and prospect camp, they can do that, as getting one of them off the books wouldn't be terribly difficult.

It's just pain.
Old
04-14-2011, 03:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He is. He has been very good this postseason. 4 goals, 5 assist for 9 points in 8 games, with a +3 and 15 PIM.

He could be a solid bottom line mucker/energy guy at the NHL level.

Old
04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
He is. He has been very good this postseason. 4 goals, 5 assist for 9 points in 8 games, with a +3 and 15 PIM.

He should be in CT next year.

Old
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah 2 goals last night

Old
04-14-2011, 04:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
He should be in CT next year.
Yeah, definitely. I'm a big fan of his. I know people view draft picks like him almost as a waste, but it's important for the organization to have guys like Jason in the system. Even if he never has any real impact at the NHL level, he'll be a great guy to help the rest of the kids in Hartford. I'm fine with that out of the 130th pick of the draft.

Old
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Also, I wanted to thank everyone for all the contributions to the thread this year. We've never hit 5 parts before. Without all the awesome news, notes and observations provided by everyone, we'd probably have only one or two parts like most other teams' boards. Props!

Old
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Yeah, definitely. I'm a big fan of his. I know people view draft picks like him almost as a waste, but it's important for the organization to have guys like Jason in the system. Even if he never has any real impact at the NHL level, he'll be a great guy to help the rest of the kids in Hartford. I'm fine with that out of the 130th pick of the draft.
Definately wasn't a fan early on in the season, he didn't look like he had any game whatsoever, but as the season went on I definately warmed up to him. Bottom 6'er with the ability to add 'some' offense, I'll definately take that from a 5th rd pick.

Old
04-14-2011, 04:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The only problem I have with Wilson is that I believe there was a highly touted Euro on the board still, but i'm not great at remembering names so I forget who, that we passed for Wilson. I'm a big fan of taking talented Euros in the later rounds even if they never amount to anything.

Wilson isn't looking bad and if he can be an impact player at the AHL level that's good, i'm a fan of keeping a competitive AHL club for not only the "big club" prospects but even for the guys who can't make the NHL, no reason to purposely deny them of the best pro experience they can get.

Old
04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The only problem I have with Wilson is that I believe there was a highly touted Euro on the board still, but i'm not great at remembering names so I forget who, that we passed for Wilson. I'm a big fan of taking talented Euros in the later rounds even if they never amount to anything.

Wilson isn't looking bad and if he can be an impact player at the AHL level that's good, i'm a fan of keeping a competitive AHL club for not only the "big club" prospects but even for the guys who can't make the NHL, no reason to purposely deny them of the best pro experience they can get.
Probably Maxim Kitsyn. He actually lasted all through the fifth round, and was taken immediately after we took Jesper Fasth in round 6.

Old
04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

maybe a bigger version of Prust i wouldnt mind that at all. lets hope Sather signs Wilson...

Old
04-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
i think he can be a bigger version of Prust. he has some size and knows how to fight.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/104646

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102071

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/99541

def sticks up for teammates. he will be a fan favorite. i hope he makes it as a ranger some day.

Last edited by Punxrocknyc19*: 04-14-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old
04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

ESPN Insider's NHL draft coverage has a Swedish reporter covering the Euros at the Under 18 WJC

Quote:
Mika Zibanejad: F, Sweden -- Djurgarden, Elite League, Sweden
The feisty and energetic forward of Iranian and Finnish descent plays a very intense game. There is no concern about his work ethic, but there are some flaws that Zibanejad needs to work on. "First of all -- Zibanejad is very skilled in one-on-one situations with his stickhandling and creativity. He does however act a bit too overconfident sometimes." says veteran Elitserien coach, Leif Boork, now an analyst Canal+/TV4. "He does lack the right strength, what I usually call 'hockey strength.' What I mean is the kind of strength that a player only can get by playing a lot of games. Not in the gym or running or on a bike. Boork has been coaching in the Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian top leagues for more than 30 years, so he has some credibility.

Jonas Brodin: D, Sweden -- Farjestad, Elite League, Sweden
At this young age, Brodin displays a very mature approach to situations on the ice. He sees the ice and understands the game very well. "It's very impressive to see a young defenseman getting the responsibility to play a vital role on a top team in Sweden," Boork says. "Brodin does very well but he could work on his manners when it comes to showing that he rules out there. Also, he tends to hold back a bit when getting into some situations. A little bit more authoritative attitude would benefit his game. All in all, he's a very talented kid."

Joel Armia: F, Finland -- AssAt, SM-liiga, Finland
Scouts and experts are thrilled with the game this lanky Finn has shown this season. Playing in the top league in Finland he has scored 18 times in 48 games. Only two players have scored more goals in fewer games than this 17-year-old in the men's league. "The only minus so far with Armia is the physical game," says one talent evaluator. "He's not afraid of the traffic or anything like that, he's just not that good at delivering or handle body checks."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...aft&id=6354497

Old
04-14-2011, 10:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i think he can be a bigger version of Prust. he has some size and knows how to fight.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/104646

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102071

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/99541

def sticks up for teammates. he will be a fan favorite. i hope he makes it as a ranger some day.
I have been high on Wilson since the draft. People have to realize that a solid bottom-6 player who can muck and grind and drop the gloves is still very valuable. I think he is going to be a keeper.

I thought I was going crazy for a little while. All I was hearing about was Thomas and I was thinking, "I watched Niagara earlier in the season.....isn't Wilson on that team? Why has no one mentioned him?".

The kid is all guts. Prust 2.0 is a very good comparison if he continues to develop and works on his skating a little bit. Prust is actually a good skater.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:17 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
ESPN Insider's NHL draft coverage has a Swedish reporter covering the Euros at the Under 18 WJC

I don't want to see us take a defenseman, but I would not mind if we took Brodin. He's a very smart player at both ends. Obviously, Armia and Zib would be fine, too.

Quote:
Probably Maxim Kitsyn. He actually lasted all through the fifth round, and was taken immediately after we took Jesper Fasth in round 6.
While Wilson has improved this season and now looks like he could be a serviceable bottom six player, I'm still disappointed that we missed out on Kitsyn. He's a talent, and would have been a steal that late in the draft.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Synergy27

Quote:

Zibanejad will likely not be around when the Rangers pick at this point. He and Armia are on my Round 1 wishlist.

Closed Thread