HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Gabby make a difference?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
  #51
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
I think we all know that Gaborik scores most of his goals from the circles and slot in. I think we also know that Gaborik doesn't get the opportunity to shoot from there because our offense consists of the Rangers pinning the puck against the boards and using their bodies to shield their opponents as they cycle it back and forth. Gaborik will continue to struggle scoring goals until somebody figures out how to get the puck off the boards and onto Gaborik's stick.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
  #52
Ranger109
Registered User
 
Ranger109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Gabs has not done anything 1 on 1, he can't do anything. Sure he's fast, but usually, he uses one hand to dump the puck a bit and gets body checked. He has no one to pass too and no one seems to be able to keep up with him.

Gaborik has to make a difference in the playoffs. He needs to find room, get into postion and put some ****ing pucks in the net.

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
  #53
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
He is playing not to get hurt...not worth crap in the playoffs IMO . We would be better off with a 20 year old fearless rookie in his place because at least they would try . He must be playing with his money belt fastened on him because he certainly is only good for 3 strides and then he is done in and if you watch him when the plays heads back to his own end it usually takes about 5 seconds before his feet start moving in that direction . Some here say he is a great defensive player...well I see a lot of times when it is not so .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
  #54
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Again I'll say it: this season, AND last season, Gaborik earned a paycheck by taking advantage of pathetic goaltending. This is what he does. It's a large part of the reason he scored 42 last year. Remember that SICK shot he had against LA at the garden last year? Everyone knows the goal I'm talking about. Left circle, quick release snipe top shelf. As sick of a shot as it was, if someone other than Erik Ersberg (who?) is in net, that shot doesn't go in. Why? Because you don't play in the NHL if you get scored on from that area and it doesn't matter who's shooting on you. This is Gaborik in a nutshell. He scores perimeter goals on bad goalies. It's not a coincidence that Gaborik scored the majority of his goals this year against NYI, EDM, and TOR and then **** the bed when we played a team with a halway decent goalie.


All this being said, I do think Gaborik is snakebitten this year because I can't even cout on one hand how many breakaways hes failed to bury and even the shot in the low slot from yesterdays game. If he couldn't snap out of it in 82 games I don't think he's gonna do it now. Obviously the injury question has to be asked, but we'll never really know because none of us are Jim Ramsay

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:23 PM
  #55
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 50
isn't he still hurt from earlier in the season? I think that's the simple answer... and he's playing a bit scared until it heals.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
  #56
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
isn't he still hurt from earlier in the season? I think that's the simple answer... and he's playing a bit scared until it heals.
A decent amount of us still think he is hurt. His shot doesn't have that zip that it used to. Wouldn't shock me to see he has a shoulder injury.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:45 PM
  #57
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
As somebody who rips Gabby pretty good, he was better last imo.

He just can't put anything in the net.....which kills us. We needed that second goal. That is what he is there to do. He's not doing it. That puts us at a HUGE disadvantage. This is a guy who has to create his own chances in order for us to be successful and it's just not happening.

If Gabby can even score less than a handful of goals in this series, we can maybe take this seven games with a chance to win. If he is shut down entirely, it's gonna be very tough.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
  #58
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
A decent amount of us still think he is hurt. His shot doesn't have that zip that it used to. Wouldn't shock me to see he has a shoulder injury.
its absolutely still his shoulder. I can speak from experience, it stays with you for awhile and takes awhile to get comfortable.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
  #59
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,404
vCash: 500
Gaborik looks so slow this season (for Gaborik). He's got to be nursing some sort of injury. He just doesn't have the world class explosive acceleration and speed you're used to seeing.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
  #60
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I love how everybody on this board is a psychologist


"I see your inferiority complex and subsequent lack of performance stem from you unconscious wish to have Brad Richards on your team."

"I am glad the fans on HF boards were able to make an initial diagnosis. Otherwise, this analysis would have been difficult."

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
  #61
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger109 View Post
Gabs has not done anything 1 on 1, he can't do anything. Sure he's fast, but usually, he uses one hand to dump the puck a bit and gets body checked. He has no one to pass too and no one seems to be able to keep up with him.

Gaborik has to make a difference in the playoffs. He needs to find room, get into postion and put some ****ing pucks in the net.
All of his 1v1 rushes look exactly the same. He skates in on the defender, tries to shoot, and his shot either gets blocked or it goes right into the goalie's chest.

I know it has been said that Gaborik has succeeded in the past without a top center or other top players on his line, but I really think he needs help out there. Whether Richards will be that guy remains to be seen.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:02 PM
  #62
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post


"I see your inferiority complex and subsequent lack of performance stem from you unconscious wish to have Brad Richards on your team."

"I am glad the fans on HF boards were able to make an initial diagnosis. Otherwise, this analysis would have been difficult."

good stuff

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
  #63
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
light a fire under his ass Torts!!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
  #64
3Four3
Registered User
 
3Four3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
He just doesn't have the speed or moves that makes him a real threat to the opposition. His shot is also no biggie.

Jagr, now that was a threat. He didn't have the speed but he had the moves and the body: He'd just turn around and there was no way 1 defender was going to get him off the puck. So, you had 2 guys go at him and - once in a blue moon - even three. Jagr created openings for his teammates.

Don't get me started with him looking somewhere else and not at the goalie and he'd still unleash a wristshot from hell that still found the back of the net.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:37 PM
  #65
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I love how everybody on this board is a psychologist
Don't indict everyone. Just me. The truth will be told once Gaborik is shipped off to the West Coast the week of the draft.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
  #66
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
He just doesn't have the speed or moves that makes him a real threat to the opposition. His shot is also no biggie.

Jagr, now that was a threat. He didn't have the speed but he had the moves and the body: He'd just turn around and there was no way 1 defender was going to get him off the puck. So, you had 2 guys go at him and - once in a blue moon - even three. Jagr created openings for his teammates.

Don't get me started with him looking somewhere else and not at the goalie and he'd still unleash a wristshot from hell that still found the back of the net.
I agree that Gaborik has been abysmal and looks completely lost out there, but to compare him to Jagr is unfair. Jagr is the greatest European forward to ever play in the NHL and there really isn't a close second. Gaborik at his best can't dominate the game the way Jagr could, but that doesn't mean Gaborik at his best wouldn't be a phenomenal player for us.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
  #67
DrAStuart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Don't indict everyone. Just me. The truth will be told once Gaborik is shipped off to the West Coast the week of the draft.
Oh great...then for two seasons people will be able to complain that Brad Richards doesn't have any first-line wingers to play with...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
  #68
3Four3
Registered User
 
3Four3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I agree that Gaborik has been abysmal and looks completely lost out there, but to compare him to Jagr is unfair. Jagr is the greatest European forward to ever play in the NHL and there really isn't a close second. Gaborik at his best can't dominate the game the way Jagr could, but that doesn't mean Gaborik at his best wouldn't be a phenomenal player for us.
That's the thing: Gaborik hasn't been at his best. If something goes awry with him, there's no positive from him that coats the negatives. His skating isn't there, his shot isn't there - both up-close and from afar - and like you have said, he looks lost.

Maybe the comparison isn't fair but even in that last season with Jagr, - and him not playing his best - you still had the other team "respecting" him by ganging up on him. Slight bump from a defender on Gaborik and that's all she wrote with our offensive chance.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:36 PM
  #69
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
The way Gaborik is playing right now, and has been playing, he looks extremely easy to contain... He doesn't have any one-on-one moves, he doesn't use his skating to create any separation from the defensemen or to open up shooting lanes, and he's easily forced wide to positions of the ice where he can't do much with the puck.... Guy is really off his game... Most of his shots get blocked and never make it through....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:54 PM
  #70
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Interesting stats there. Perhaps you can make these stats for last year aswell to compare to this year?

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
  #71
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,639
vCash: 500
In this very young Playoffs run, so far Gomez is a better player.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:07 AM
  #72
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
In this very young Playoffs run, so far Gomez is a better player.
who cares? 1 game played. Completely irrelevant.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:09 AM
  #73
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't think Gaborik looks slow at all. He just isn't shooting as much. Confidence doesn't seem to be there, whether it's because his shoulder is bugging him or because of something else. Hopefully moving Christensen to his line sparks him. IMO Torts should try Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik, Feds-Stepan-Prospal, Wolski-Anisimov-Prust, Avery-Boyle-Drury. Dubi, Christensen, Gaborik had good chemistry as a line last season when prospal first got hurt.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:14 AM
  #74
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
Again I'll say it: this season, AND last season, Gaborik earned a paycheck by taking advantage of pathetic goaltending. This is what he does. It's a large part of the reason he scored 42 last year. Remember that SICK shot he had against LA at the garden last year? Everyone knows the goal I'm talking about. Left circle, quick release snipe top shelf. As sick of a shot as it was, if someone other than Erik Ersberg (who?) is in net, that shot doesn't go in. Why? Because you don't play in the NHL if you get scored on from that area and it doesn't matter who's shooting on you. This is Gaborik in a nutshell. He scores perimeter goals on bad goalies. It's not a coincidence that Gaborik scored the majority of his goals this year against NYI, EDM, and TOR and then **** the bed when we played a team with a halway decent goalie.
His gamelog from the year he scored 42 seems to suggest he didn't just pot goals against bad teams and bad goalies. He was also averaging about a goal a game down the stretch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...vLYF?year=2009

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:23 AM
  #75
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,630
vCash: 500
Is Gaborik a difference makers? There is no other answer to that question than yes. He was the Rangers best player last year, and Slovakia's best player (who wasn't in net, otherwise debatable) in the Olympics. He has a will to change games.

The real question is, will he make a difference in this series? After the year he has had, I have to think he will not.

So hopefully next season he finds his game again, because he hasn't been the same since the Olympics.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.