HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi provides a big hint for Holland

Old
04-14-2011, 02:37 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Yeah, he's only good at that. I would prefer someone like Prust tbh.

The Rangers have some really good players with a mix of skill and grit. I like Dubinsky, Callahan and Prust. Staal isn't too bad either.
and I kind of like Lucic

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Marky9er

Bertuzzi was awesome in game 82 also. 2 assists that came DIRECTLY from 2 big hits. Love Bert, absolutely he has been my favorite player since '94.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:05 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

It's funny, I remember when we had Avery, fans loved the guy. I don't think the Wings fancy a real pest like that but getting in North American grinders/energy guys who have a bit of bite to them probably would be overall beneficial.

It also never hurts if you have a top 6 guy like Shanny who will stand up for teammates if necessary. Bertuzzi is the closest thing we have to that now.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
67coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
In addition, i clearly remember McCarty fighting either McCormick or McLeod against Colorado in 2008.
I guess in all these cases, there were minor penalties given out not fighting majors.

Babs did say that he didn't recall a fighting major.

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

There are plenty of guys who can play well and throw down. Now how many are available? That's where it gets tough. Any decent one, we would have to give up quite a bit. Guys like Prust could be had for the right price but a player like Lucic is almost untouchable.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:10 PM
no.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
and I kind of like Lucic
Yeah and Chris Stewart and Evander Kane would be nice as well. And perhaps Douglas Murray instead of Salei next year?

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind having Konopka as a 13th forward as he isn't completely useless as a hockey player. Other UFA's that would be somewhat interesting would be Eager and perhaps Asham. But that's about it.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Ryane Clowe would be ideal. I know SJ values him pretty highly but I think he could be had for the right deal that is reasonable for us.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
and I kind of like Lucic
And your point is?

You think you can get a guy like Lucic for less than a million to play on your 4th line? Prust on the other hand won't be too expensive, he is good on the PK, plays with grit and kind fight too.

I really think you don't know what you are posting sometimes. Correction, all the time.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
You guys realize Clowe has a cap hit of 3.6m and Lucic has a cap hit of 4.5m, right? Would be great to have those guys on the team, but they're not worth 2 roster players.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Sauce View Post
Ryane Clowe would be ideal. I know SJ values him pretty highly but I think he could be had for the right deal that is reasonable for us.
Ryan Clowe won't be traded to Wings even if Wings overpay slightly. That's just not possible.

How about Jovocop? Rice mentioned James Wisneisky(?) who seems to be a good idea as well.

Weber seems to be on the list of every armchair GMs this season but ... I'm not really sure if Nashville let him walk.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
How about Jovocop? Rice mentioned James Wisneisky(?) who seems to be a good idea as well.
Wisniewski would be a good replacement for Rafalski IMO. He wouldn't be so expensive, he has a good shot (righty too) and when he was with Anaheim he had a bit of a mean streak. I don't know how he plays now, but I think if we give Kronner/Stuey an upgrade on their contract and then give Wiz around 3 million a year, we could have a good contract.

Quote:
Weber seems to be on the list of every armchair GMs this season but ... I'm not really sure if Nashville let him walk.
I seriously doubt we land Weber. He's going to attract a lot of attention and there is no other defenseman I would want this summer but Weber. I say we offersheet him, worse comes to worse Nashville match it and lock up most of their money in him. We then have a shot at Suter the year after. We could then think of having

Kronwall-Stuart
Suter-Wisniewski
Kindl-Smith

in a few years.

But if we go for Weber, then it would only be because Lidstrom retires (or takes a massive pay cut).

I hope the Red Wings are thinking about Weber though.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:02 PM
no.95

Slightly OT but let's say that Lidstrom retires and we don't get Weber and the only new d-signing we make is Wiz. (Wiz and Oz would be great by the way). That would leave us with about 3 mil extra in cap space (Lidstroms 6.2-Wiz ~4 + somewhat raised cap). Now, it would be interesting to splash those 3 mil on offense instead and then go for Suter once Raffy comes off the books.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
NINETEEN

Did more than one person say Konopka? Are you kidding me?

NINETEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
NINETEEN

Weber might kill Holmstrom, though.

Old
04-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Weber's not going to happen. Doughty is an RFA and isn't going to happen. There's an outside chance at Bogosian because Atlanta seems to have already locked in to Fugly and a few other guys and he's expendable. I think Yandle could be gotten because of the ownership mess in Phoenix, but we'd still have to overpay.

If Lidstrom retires, we're looking at guys like Pitkanen and Ehrhoff as likely signings. And then I'm not sure there's any Dman on the market I'd want to give a whole lot over $4m to (in cap space). If Ericsson has a strong playoffs, I'd consider re-signing him, going with Stuart, Kronwall, Rafalski, E and Kindl as our top5 and see what vet D shakes out of the tree for around $3m. If we're spending much over $4m, I'd rather add a higher impact player elsewhere.

04-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Nut Upstrom
JIMMY GO GANGBUSTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Weber's not going to happen. Doughty is an RFA and isn't going to happen. There's an outside chance at Bogosian because Atlanta seems to have already locked in to Fugly and a few other guys and he's expendable. I think Yandle could be gotten because of the ownership mess in Phoenix, but we'd still have to overpay.

If Lidstrom retires, we're looking at guys like Pitkanen and Ehrhoff as likely signings. And then I'm not sure there's any Dman on the market I'd want to give a whole lot over $4m to (in cap space). If Ericsson has a strong playoffs, I'd consider re-signing him, going with Stuart, Kronwall, Rafalski, E and Kindl as our top5 and see what vet D shakes out of the tree for around $3m. If we're spending much over $4m, I'd rather add a higher impact player elsewhere.
There's always the chance Weber re-ups with Nashville on a one year deal just to get through Restricted free-agency, then the following season he is UFA and the bidding was can commence.
If that happens and Lids re-signs for one more year we could be shedding Nick and Rafi's contracts as Weber becomes UFA.

However, I more agree with the statement above, that a guy like Bogo is more likely to land here; I'm thinking we'll trade someone away for the rights to deal with Bogo during the off-season. Would also love Wisnewski, he would be great on our D-line.

Nut Upstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:53 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINETEEN View Post
Did more than one person say Konopka? Are you kidding me?
I wouldn't mind adding Konopka for 750k a year, but he'll make more than Bert does next year in the first year on a multiyear deal. That's the problem.

Heading into last summer, Boogaard hadn't scored a goal since 2005-06 (8 assists) and he got 4 years at $1.625m apiece. You can't get a player who can fight without overpaying. Forget about getting a player who can fight AND play hockey. The draft is the only way to get one, and the Wings don't waste picks on low-percentage goon type players.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:57 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You guys realize Clowe has a cap hit of 3.6m and Lucic has a cap hit of 4.5m, right? Would be great to have those guys on the team, but they're not worth 2 roster players.
Depends on the roster players.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I wouldn't mind adding Konopka for 750k a year, but he'll make more than Bert does next year in the first year on a multiyear deal. That's the problem.

Heading into last summer, Boogaard hadn't scored a goal since 2005-06 (8 assists) and he got 4 years at $1.625m apiece. You can't get a player who can fight without overpaying. Forget about getting a player who can fight AND play hockey. The draft is the only way to get one, and the Wings don't waste picks on low-percentage goon type players.
Maybe it shouldn't, but it still surprises me how easily someone like Boogaard gets a job, and a big cap hit, while a guy like Brendan Morrison had to latch onto Calgary late in the summer. Boogaard went out and put up all of 2 points in 22 games, while Morrison put up 43 in 66, after putting up 42 in 74 last year.

Morrison also saw 16 minutes a night, with 2 each on the PK and PP. Boogaard? 4:32 a game. Morrison also led the Flames forwards in +/-.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Coincidental Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
Look, I officially have a man crush on Todd Bertuzzi, he was brilliant in those two games because he chose the right momments to do what he did, not because the Wings need a goon.

let's face it, if you are winning a series 3 games to 1 why the heck would you goon it up? Close out the team and move on.

Babcock said in a quote this morning that this was the first Playoff game he had coached with the Wings that had a fight in it.

Babcock forget this?

Coincidental Minors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
In addition, i clearly remember McCarty fighting either McCormick or McLeod against Colorado in 2008.
Babcock probably didn't consider his "Get the puck to Franzen" speech to constitute coaching

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coincidental Minors View Post
Babcock forget this?
Apples and oranges. If we can have Ericsson or Bertuzzi or Random player X getting Corey Perry off the ice with fighting, do it every shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Babcock probably didn't consider his "Get the puck to Franzen" speech to constitute coaching
McCarty's fight in the Colorado series was retarded, he fought the guy when the Wings were up 4-1 and had nothing to gain.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:32 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
McCarty's fight in the Colorado series was retarded, he fought the guy when the Wings were up 4-1 and had nothing to gain.
It was an "for old times' sake" fight and I appreciated the gesture.

With regards to adding a gritty guy who can score 25-30, well that'd obviously be a Franzen plus cap hit so you'd either have to get rid of a pricy D-man and replace him cheaply in-house or make a few trades involving mid-price guys.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:39 PM
NINETEEN

I'm content with not having a designated fighter. It makes the fights that do happen mean more & we don't look like a bunch of whiney *****es.

Old
04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
Look, I officially have a man crush on Todd Bertuzzi, he was brilliant in those two games because he chose the right momments to do what he did, not because the Wings need a goon.

let's face it, if you are winning a series 3 games to 1 why the heck would you goon it up? Close out the team and move on.

Babcock said in a quote this morning that this was the first Playoff game he had coached with the Wings that had a fight in it.
Already been proven as false. There have been several fights, Ericsson, Mac, Abdelkader and even Bertuzzi fought Phaneuf his first go around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Okay, go ahead. Go through http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php this list and name them.
Brian Sutherby , Scott Nichol, Konopka, Eager, Glass, Winchester, and Bradley on forward would all do just as much for this team as Miller or Modano have this season. Couple that with the fact that they bring a different skill set that the team lacks compared to a guy like Miller who is very redundant and those guys probably do a lot more for this team. I'm sure some will say, Oh but Miller has 10 more points than this guy, but 10 points is not a whole lot and when youre playing on a 4th line a difference of 5-10 points isnt huge, having a guy with a lot of bite down there can be huge. See 08 dallas Drake in playoffs.

On defense adding a guy like Erskine or maybe even O'Brien would do better than Salei down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Two is "a lot"? And I'm not even sure those two even qualify as guys who are as good or better than Miller. In fact, I would have to say they are not. And if they are as good or better than Modano, it's probably only because of his injury this year.

In reply to the original post, where would this team be improved with a regular fighter? The Wings are up 1-0 in their first round series as a #3 seed. Would a regular fighter instead have us up 1-0 as a #1 or #2 seed? I doubt it. It seems that if Bertuzzi has proven anything, it's the value of having a player who's pretty good at hockey (meaning he's a shoe-in for the playoffs) and occasionally fights. And I think he's scheduled to be back next season.
Bertuzzi never fights in the reg season because he has a bad back, when it matters in playoffs he'll step up. Why rely on an old guy to do it when you can bring in a young guy who will hit everything that moves, fight better than Todd and also isnt a liability?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote