Notices

Prospect Tracker II

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Clutter puts up points, Gillies doesn't. Clutter also has at least some puck skills and is a better defensive player.

I also think Wellman could be competing for the third line next year. Shame we have Cullen for two more years though.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Clutter puts up points, Gillies doesn't. Clutter also has at least some puck skills and is a better defensive player.

I also think Wellman could be competing for the third line next year. Shame we have Cullen for two more years though.
Of course it has only been a short period of time, but in those several games Gillies was up in during our end of season, I saw an entirely different player than when he was up here during the 2008-09 season.

I saw a more focused player, a player who knew where to go and where to utilize his speed, as opposed to skating around fast, looking for something to do. He played as if he had a purpose.

Very small sample, but I liked what I saw, and personally, I saw potential for player that could put up 20-30 points, forechecking and crashing the net.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Gillies does look like he's got NHL speed and size and has loads of energy. He still has no hands though. I'd like to see him on the fourth line next year in place of Nystrom, who's like a slower, smaller version of Gillies.

McMillan/Almond...I'm still not sure either of them can be better than a fourth line center in the NHL, but it's better than watching an overpaid free agent doing the same thing, and there's always that small chance they might do something.
Personally, I would hate to see him on the 4th line next year. If placed on the 4th line you're basically saying the kid is done developing, at the age of 22. If he's not at least on the 3rd line I think you have to send him back down to Houston and let him hone his game. From the small sample size this year, he looks 100x times better than he did in '08. I'd at least give him a bit more time to develop rather than giving up on the kid.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I liked what I seen from Gillies too, but I'm still not ready to pencil him into next season's line-up. A full year in Houston has done him well and you can start to see some confidence and direction in his game. Why not leave him down there for a half the season or so? It's not such a bad thing to let him continue to develop. Obviously the guys down in Houston know what they're doing with him.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I liked what I seen from Gillies too, but I'm still not ready to pencil him into next season's line-up. A full year in Houston has done him well and you can start to see some confidence and direction in his game. Why not leave him down there for a half the season or so? It's not such a bad thing to let him continue to develop. Obviously the guys down in Houston know what they're doing with him.
Agreed, just saying, when (and/or if) he becomes a regular Wild player, I can see him becoming a bottom six fast, checking winger that can put up 20-30 points. A perfect compliment to Clutterbuck.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A compliment to Clutterbuck would be someone who can move the puck to him so he can use that deadly wrist shot of his, not someone who will bang bodies but can't handle the puck.

Old
04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
A compliment to Clutterbuck would be someone who can move the puck to him so he can use that deadly wrist shot of his, not someone who will bang bodies but can't handle the puck.
I'm thinking big body that hits like Clutterbuck and when Clutts actually shots, there will be a 6'4" crash-and-bang check to try to clean up the rebounds. I doubt Gillies will get 20 goals but 20-30 points of garbage shouldn't be too much to ask.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I doubt Gillies will get 20 goals but 20-30 points of garbage shouldn't be too much to ask.
It was more than we could ask of Kobasew, Nystrom, and Staubitz.

I'd like to see him stay in Houston. He has shown improvement, but he will develop better with another year down there playing in more situations.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Why not leave him down there for a half the season or so? It's not such a bad thing to let him continue to develop. Obviously the guys down in Houston know what they're doing with him.
Because he looks ready for the NHL and should be rewarded with a job. Gillies has already spent two full seasons in the AHL. It's now or never. I don't want to see capable players rot in Houston when there's room for improvement on the NHL squad.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:

lol, Jarick, i think you need to talk about how much you dislike cullen more; not enough Cullen hate from you.

But seriously, if this team wants to improve it is gonna eventually have to make its bottom 6 cheaper (without losing quality). One way to do that is by beginning to siphon in rookie contract for guys like nystrom, staubitz, etc. Sorry but nystrom and staubitz's combined total of 8 goals and -21 plus/minus can be replaced by rookie contracts.

Its a fine balancing act between calling up players to earlier/too late but the almonds, the gillies, and the wellmans of wild are gonna have to step up eventually. If your tread water too long your eventually gonna drown.

and maybe if you want to keep almond, gillies, and wellman down a little bit longer then guys such as kassan and McMillan (guys with a lower ceiling) should be given a longer look.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Dampland
Heavily Moderated

vCash: 528
I'm concerned that guys like Gilles, McMillan, Almond, and Kassian have about reached the point of either playing in the NHL next year on a regular basis, or becoming AHL lifers.

Perhaps Gilles can do one more year in Houston, but he should be a regular call up. Otherwise I think this kid's confidence will be shattered.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Kari Takko

I think a Clutterbuck/Cullen/Gillies 3rd line would look really good next year. 3 guys who can fly, 2 of which hit anything that moves. That line could add a lot of energy and some scoring punch.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

clutterbuck is being considered for Team Canada, according to Russo.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll hate all over Cullen's contract (don't hate people). $3.5m for a player who, when the team needed him, completely disappeared. Since the deadline, 20 games played, ZERO goals, THREE assists, -13. A whopping THREE even strength goals on the year. Wow.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
First game of SM-Liiga finals just begun, I (and probably many others ) will give you updates on Granlund's performance. He's playing on the first line with Peltonen and Haataja as always.

(And for the Finnish fans, I prefer listening the game through Radio Suomi, they have the greatest announcer ever; Antero Mertaranta, the Ultimate Finnish hockey voice)

Old
04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just because it's been a while, is Granlund playing center or wing? Which is his natural or better position?

Old
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
mikko1995

Quote:
Just because it's been a while, is Granlund playing center or wing? Which is his natural or better position?
Center for both.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Pajicz

Quote:
Yeah, Granlund has always played as center with the exception of his rookie season in SM-Liiga.

HIFK leads Blues 1-0 after first period.

EDIT: HIFK leading 2-1 after two, Granlund has been quite invisible.

Last edited by Pajicz: 04-13-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old
04-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Pajicz

HIFK won the game 3-2, no points for Granlund. Certainly not his best performance.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Vimars

First period of Game 2 of FEL finals, Granlund with no points but he's been much slicker so far compared to the first final, almost scored after a flashy move. Peltonen in his wing is clearly injured and not playing well, dragging the whole line down a bit.

Old
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

thanks for the updates!
I really hope he comes to camp this year (instead of just staying overseas).

Old
04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Latex*
DM is good

For the guy who called Finnish hockey "soccer on ice".

It's from todays game.

Old
04-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Surly Furious

I see Granlund was pointless. If you saw the match, how was he?

Old
04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

should we be worried about him being held pointless in one game? Because i don't feel particularly worried...

Old
04-14-2011, 06:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
For the guy who called Finnish hockey "soccer on ice".

It's from todays game.
that was a highlight reel hit for sure. i went "ooooo!" out loud.

Closed Thread