HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone video

Old
04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
You seem like the type to like spinach
Nah if anything I seem like I guy that won't tell someone who likes spinach that it sucks. I eat my greens though

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
SensTor

Thanks FQL for the awesome video and excellent Plaskett tune. Stone's talent coupled with musical talent was a treat...I accept that because of hockey's main audience it often gets coupled with rock, metal, or punk. Nice to get a little variety once in awhile. I'll save any more discussion of this for a music message board.

...as for Stone, I'm excited to see what he's capable of. I think he will be more of 3rd or 4th liner if he makes the nhl but we are hurting for big bodies that can crash the net in our top 6 so who knows.

SensTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

Looks like a steal!! Time will tell.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
senswon

if stone can get some wheels, he looks like he could a dangerous player.....thanks for making the video!

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
What a terrible song.
I'll be sure to make the next one with a fort minor or Nickleback song so I can be original.

Naaa, I think I'll stick with one of the great Canadian song writers of this generation, thanks. Get some taste.

Last edited by FolignoQuantumLeap: 04-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.
FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
backdoorpass

To me when you look at a prospect in terms of skating its all about the next level, stone to me looks like an above average skater in the dub(last year wasnt) but hes inproved. But how is his skating at next level, to me it looks like he will be fine because he has a stride that can improve(not knock-kneed or anything) and if he gets stronger and doing some plyos he should be fine(doesnt mean it will happen) its all on him
more to your question on why bad skaters can be good- hockey IQ if you are smart and know what to do at all times and can see things or have a good shot you normally are fine unless your small and slow then your probally just screwed

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
senswon

'wheels' was a bad choice of wording in my previous comment, I should have said it seems like his only issue is his take-off...it's not very explosive and he can be caught flat footed at times when getting a breakout pass
I've watched him play a bunch while living in vancouver...for some reason we get their games on shaw channel 4.

I agree with BDP about the form...good stride...just need some POWER , MARK POWER

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Rumcajs

I remember seeing an article before the season concerning how impressed at the mini camp, didnt think much of it at the time.

Rumcajs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
He loves that cele.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
trashmouth12

Does he play another year in the WHL?

trashmouth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmouth12 View Post
Does he play another year in the WHL?
Yessir. And probably, at the least, some WJC consideration.

Old
04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

This guy just oozes mike fisher. He will make the big club next year.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
To me when you look at a prospect in terms of skating its all about the next level, stone to me looks like an above average skater in the dub(last year wasnt) but hes inproved. But how is his skating at next level, to me it looks like he will be fine because he has a stride that can improve(not knock-kneed or anything) and if he gets stronger and doing some plyos he should be fine(doesnt mean it will happen) its all on him
more to your question on why bad skaters can be good- hockey IQ if you are smart and know what to do at all times and can see things or have a good shot you normally are fine unless your small and slow then your probally just screwed
And that is Locke's problem at the NHL level.

I would also think that Stone in the NHL will be spending most of his time in front of the net looking for the garbage goals & screening the goalie or in the corners fighting for pucks. Put him with a speedy back checker & it's not that big of a problem. I think that's why Kelly did so well playing with Ruutu & Neil who aren't the fastest of skaters but Kelly was fast & played a great two way game. I too think he goes back to junior for another yr & hopefully makes the Canadian World Junior team.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Rickers

Joel Plaskett

Rickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
karlskiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Where the hell did this Chris Neil comparison come from? I remember when he was drafted some people on this board labeled him as a Chris Neil kind of player but when I looked him up, nothing indicated that they were even comparable.

Neil is a physical presence on the ice; he runs people on a consistent basis. No sens forward prospect runs people on a consistent basis. Neil also is a very capable fighter and is willing to fight everybody, regardless of size, however he tries not to pick fights or get into fights that will hurt the team. Neil is also an agitator and would be considered highly skilled for a player labelled as an enforcer. His style of play is essentially a poor man's version of a power forward who is meaner and nastier.

Stone on the other hand is more offensively skilled; he has substantially better hands and vision and overall offensive IQ. He is physical but not really a physical presence; he doesn't really run people or stir the pot much. Ryane Clowe and Corey Perry are probably better comparisons in terms of playing style and potential.

Also Stone was never considered to have poor offensive potential; his season was cut short in his draft year due to a shoulder injury and he still managed to put up respectable points. Two things that can scare GM's away are injuries and lack of scouting of a player. A player may look good in stretches and then disappear for even longer stretches.

Anyways Stone is looking like a steal at this point, if he works extremely hard on his skating this summer he might make the jump to the NHL as early as next season.
If his low end is a ryan clowe 25-30 goals and his absolutley highest ceiling is Perry 35-45 goals than im beyond excited for this guy. i definatley see the Ryan Clowe comparison. hopefully he puts lots of time into improving his skating this summer.

karlskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yeah we traded away both our 2nds last year, and still got a 2nd rounder in the 6th. Looked great.
On top of Bobby Butler and DD too...

Maybe Murray found his Dustin Penner version for the Sens? We can hope at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I've learned to never get real excited about Sens prospects but always hype prospects from other teams...
Fixed

Seriously though, It is way too early to label Stone as a 1st line player but it is hard to get somewhat excited over a 6th round pick that has that kind of season. Apparently, he was supposed to be drafted a lot earlier if it wasn't for injuries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Those who've played hockey at a competitive level might be able to explain this to me. How can you possibly reach these higher echellons of hockey and be a sh^&* skater? That would be like a professional soccer player that can't run, it doesn't make much sense. Woulnd't you practice your skating every bit as much as your shot?
Well, simply because the game isn't played 100% at full speed. Dustin Penner is not the faster skater (he's not the only one) but he does very well. Some players have had great careers and weren't great skaters at all. Think Luc Robitaille

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Bobby Ryan was a terrible skater when he was drafted. I'm not saying Stone is Bobby Ryan but the size and style of game can lead to a comparison.

Anyway, how'd that work out for the ducks?

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:12 PM
guyzeur

Now listed as 6,03, 200lbs

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/394

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Now listed as 6,03, 200lbs

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/394
Did that change recently?

Old
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

he was listed at 6'2 182 for sens dev camp last summer.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:36 PM
BeerandHockey
╚(Ž_Ž)╝

good video and great song choice.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

The Sens are showing me some love today and put the video on their facebook page!

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaser16 View Post
Bobby Ryan was a terrible skater when he was drafted. I'm not saying Stone is Bobby Ryan but the size and style of game can lead to a comparison.

Anyway, how'd that work out for the ducks?
Except Ryan was 2nd overall behind Crosby if I remember while Stone was drafted in the 6th round and nothing much was expected of him, Ryan had more upside which is why they didnt mind his skating. Not the same situation with Mark

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Afro Thunder*

Update:

WeatKings did an award montage where Stone basically took more than half of the awards on the team.

Here is a little video where it's almost all Stone montage.
http://www.wheatkings.com/
Its at the bottom of the page and click on the video player.

Here is a little season review by the local media and coach.

Quote:
MARK STONE (19)
(RW, 6-3, 200 pounds)
(71gp, 37g, 69a, 106pts, 28pim)

Stone emerged as one of the top players in the WHL, with his offence augmented by his uncanny ability to use his size and reach to create turnovers.
KM: "He's a premier player and he's still got his best hockey ahead of him. I think he'll be one of the most dangerous players in the league next year."

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:08 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerFutureSniper View Post
Except Ryan was 2nd overall behind Crosby if I remember while Stone was drafted in the 6th round and nothing much was expected of him, Ryan had more upside which is why they didnt mind his skating. Not the same situation with Mark
Stone was a projected second rounder before he got injured. Bobby Ryan was developed for 3 (?) years because of his skating, which makes me think they did mind.

Stone is the current Sens prospect i'm most excited to see develop.

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote