HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who do you support?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
  #51
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Just because someone doesnt live in philly doesnt mean we cant be a flyers fan you *****.

I have no pro sports teams in my city (used to have AHL and QMJHL), started liking the Flyers as a kid playing NHL 98 and started following them after that. I have flown across Canada just to see the Flyers play, and I try and watch as many games as possible, thanks to tv and streams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization


Last edited by HoverCarle*: 04-14-2011 at 03:39 PM.
HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
  #52
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
Ha! "all your life," i.e. when you decided to latch onto the team. How old are you? I'm not only asking because of your response, but because, before the advent of digital media, how did you watch the Flyers? Did you read boxscores in the paper, or did you get Prism in NH?

By the way, I was being facetious.


What is your rationale?

Do you think that the teams that you have hitched your wagon to have pretty colors? Did a player you like, play for one of those teams? And were you an Oilers fan?
If it's the latter, Simon Gagne was a good player and a good person in the community when he was here. Far as I know, he never turned down an autograph and always kept his nose clean. He's in Tampa Bay now, does that mean I should support the Lightning? Because I couldn't care less about their organization.

I have a personal example: my late grandfather is from NYC. He used to cut Joey D's hair at his barber shop, and was a walking Yankee encyclopedia. When my mom was a child, her father would take her into the dugout during bp, something I had an opportunity to do twice when I was a little kid.
He always made me watch the Yankees on TV when I would visit him, not like I had a choice.

Should I be a Yankees fan? Even though I was born and raised in Philly, and grew up watching the teams that play here?

Personally, I don't understand it. But I give a break to the people who don't\never lived here that want to support our teams.
Her rationale is you being a jerk off.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
  #53
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
What is your rationale?

Do you think that the teams that you have hitched your wagon to have pretty colors? Did a player you like, play for one of those teams? And were you an Oilers fan?
My rationale for the Flyers? I saw Bobby Clarke play - that was all it took. Bill Barber was one of my favourite Kitchener Rangers, so that helped it along. Dornhoeffer is an old friend of the family, so just another small tie.

I couldn't give a **** what colours any of my teams wear. It simply doesn't matter to me, and to infer that it might is degrading, unbelievably sexist, and annoys the living **** out of me. How dare you assume that any female isn't a "real" fan, even in jest.

I was a moderate Oilers fan before they moved to Nashville (Earl Campbell was a God, and Warren Moon was Canadian), and the Music City Miracle sealed the deal for me.

I am an Kansas City fan because I love that they faced the Yankees 4 times in the ALCS, losing the first three times before finally beating them. I liked how they played back in the late 70's/early 80's, and I admire how George Brett played the game.

Good enough for you? No? **** you.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:24 PM
  #54
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,839
vCash: 500
Bulk, piece of advice, watch the sexist talk. You're new here.....so no need to condescend to someone who has been here a long time with tons of knowledge.

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:27 PM
  #55
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Bulk, piece of advice, watch the sexist talk. You're new here.....so no need to condescend to someone who has been here a long with tons of knowledge.
Thank you. I'm quite sure he'll hear from some of my fellow Flyers fans who happen to female! I know it may come as a shock, but we don't take a lot of crap!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:31 PM
  #56
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
Apparently I'm not allowed to be a fan.

huh.


Guess I'll go post in the Caps forum from now on.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
  #57
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,867
vCash: 500
Bulk is pulling **** out of his ass right now. First time in a longgg time I have heard someone with that kind of mentality.


In that sorry guys, since I live in Troy NY right now, Ima go and root for the Rangers.



F'ing Rangers.

(I still cant beleive there are more Ranger fans up here than Sabres.)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
  #58
BulkVanderHuge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
My rationale for the Flyers? I saw Bobby Clarke play - that was all it took. Bill Barber was one of my favourite Kitchener Rangers, so that helped it along. Dornhoeffer is an old friend of the family, so just another small tie.

I couldn't give a **** what colours any of my teams wear. It simply doesn't matter to me, and to infer that it might is degrading, unbelievably sexist, and annoys the living **** out of me. How dare you assume that any female isn't a "real" fan, even in jest.

I was a moderate Oilers fan before they moved to Nashville (Earl Campbell was a God, and Warren Moon was Canadian), and the Music City Miracle sealed the deal for me.

I am an Kansas City fan because I love that they faced the Yankees 4 times in the ALCS, losing the first three times before finally beating them. I liked how they played back in the late 70's/early 80's, and I admire how George Brett played the game.

Good enough for you? No? **** you.
Really is it sexist? I'm supposed to know that you're female because of your screen name? I wasn't trying to be sexist, but obviously you feel that I was.

I made a mistake, I'm sorry.

BulkVanderHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
  #59
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
Really is it sexist? I'm supposed to know that you're female because of your screen name? I wasn't trying to be sexist, but obviously you feel that I was.

I made a mistake, I'm sorry.
Thank you. Not to belabour the point, but I do have a question... would you have asked if a guy thought his team's colours were "pretty"?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:58 PM
  #60
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,267
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
What is your rationale?

Do you think that the teams that you have hitched your wagon to have pretty colors? Did a player you like, play for one of those teams? And were you an Oilers fan?
If it's the latter, Simon Gagne was a good player and a good person in the community when he was here. Far as I know, he never turned down an autograph and always kept his nose clean. He's in Tampa Bay now, does that mean I should support the Lightning? Because I couldn't care less about their organization.

I have a personal example: my late grandfather is from NYC. He used to cut Joey D's hair at his barber shop, and was a walking Yankee encyclopedia. When my mom was a child, her father would take her into the dugout during bp, something I had an opportunity to do twice when I was a little kid.
He always made me watch the Yankees on TV when I would visit him, not like I had a choice.

Should I be a Yankees fan? Even though I was born and raised in Philly, and grew up watching the teams that play here?

Personally, I don't understand it. But I give a break to the people who don't\never lived here that want to support our teams.


There are plenty of reasons why you could envision cheering for a team outside of your city.

Say your son is drafted by the Rangers. Are you going to cheer against him when he plays the Flyers?

Who the **** cares why you became a fan of the Flyers? You live in Philly and were happy to tag along with the Flyers. I grew up in the heart of Leafs' country and couldn't stand it. I would never let personal geography be the determining factor for why I cheer for a franchise, especially since I can watch whatever team I want any day of the week.

Plus, if you lived in Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine are you not allowed to cheer for an NHL team because there isn't one in your city?

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
  #61
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
Ok guys, let's try to keep things remotely civil

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:16 PM
  #62
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post


There are plenty of reasons why you could envision cheering for a team outside of your city.

Say your son is drafted by the Rangers. Are you going to cheer against him when he plays the Flyers?

Who the **** cares why you became a fan of the Flyers? You live in Philly and were happy to tag along with the Flyers. I grew up in the heart of Leafs' country and couldn't stand it. I would never let personal geography be the determining factor for why I cheer for a franchise, especially since I can watch whatever team I want any day of the week.

Plus, if you lived in Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine are you not allowed to cheer for an NHL team because there isn't one in your city?
Yeah everyone around me is pretty much leafs and habs fans. Brutal

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
  #63
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
So you can root for the Habs? I live in Boston, but once the Flyers are out might as well give me the Nashville Predators. I hope any team out of the EC gets swept in the SCF's if the Flyers are out. I would never siwtch allegiance to any team especially those whiny Habs fans and they grandstanding owners who would prefer to fake injury in lieu of letting players play a game.

The most embarrassing thing a fan has ever done over a sports team is to call the police to arrest a professional athlete who injured another player in a hockey related incident. If the Habs were the last team to choose from because every other team seceded from the league because the Habs chose to dive every play instead of play hockey I would choose to watch lawn bowling.
Well I could go out and have fun with my friends and cheer for the Habs, or I can be an ******* sit at home and wallow in my own hate.

I don't know who edited my post, but he can still eat the rim of a beached whale.


Last edited by KimiFerrari: 04-15-2011 at 10:02 AM.
KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:24 PM
  #64
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Just because someone doesnt live in philly doesnt mean we cant be a flyers fan you *****.

I have no pro sports teams in my city (used to have AHL and QMJHL), started liking the Flyers as a kid playing NHL 98 and started following them after that. I have flown across Canada just to see the Flyers play, and I try and watch as many games as possible, thanks to tv and streams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization
Now that you mention Globalization....





I took that at an outdoors rink in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:29 PM
  #65
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,901
vCash: 500
Flyers + Oilers

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:34 PM
  #66
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Now that you mention Globalization....





I took that at an outdoors rink in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland.
Holy cow Beef, that's awesome!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:54 PM
  #67
Villedelphia*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Troy
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Bulk is pulling **** out of his ass right now. First time in a longgg time I have heard someone with that kind of mentality.


In that sorry guys, since I live in Troy NY right now, Ima go and root for the Rangers.



F'ing Rangers.

(I still cant beleive there are more Ranger fans up here than Sabres.)
Seriously? 4.5 hour drive to buffalo, 2 hours to nyc. Not that surprising, and there is a good deal of sabres fans. I think the sabres might actually get preference on MSG up here, but we do get the mix of rags, isles, and sabres.

AHL's Capital District Islanders used to play at the Houston Field House too so there's a number of islanders fans stemming from that too.


Last edited by Villedelphia*: 04-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:17 AM
  #68
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,770
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
Ha! "all your life," i.e. when you decided to latch onto the team. How old are you? I'm not only asking because of your response, but because, before the advent of digital media, how did you watch the Flyers? Did you read boxscores in the paper, or did you get Prism in NH?

By the way, I was being facetious.


.
ok, so not all my life. The first 8 yeasrs of my life I was not really a big sports fan. The I started watching sports on TV and I happened to watch the Flyers play the Rangers on NBC in 1974 and I was hooked because I loved how they played. There were several kids in my neigborhood in fact who were Flyer fans. I cannot speak for them now tho. We played street hockey and it was usually Flyers against Bruins. I played goal usually.
We didnt have cable TV growing up. So yes I relied on the box scores in the paper the next day to find out what happened.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 05:53 AM
  #69
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkVanderHuge View Post
For fans in North America: if there is a team for the sport you love, in your town or city, then they should be your team - unless you are a transplant.

If you don't have a team within a radius of 100 miles, then you are mandated to support the closest team to your residence.

Man law! *bangs gavel
Personally, I think it's beyond ****ing lazy and braindead to automatically cheer for the closest team to where you live.

I was born and raised in Toronto, and now I live closer to Buffalo, and I ****ing despise those teams and their fans with every fiber of my being.

There should be more depth to the reasons you support a team. There's something about their character, their history, even their other fans, that pulls you in and won't let you go.

It's beyond ignorant to suggest I have to cheer for ***** teams because I live closer to them than the Flyers. **** the Leaves and the Sabrespeeds.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:11 AM
  #70
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Despite the fact that I'll be shunned by this board most likely, I feel the need to bring up that I'm a Cowboys fan. That's right, I'm a Flyers, Phillies, Cowboys and 76ers fan. I don't care what you say, being a Cowboys fan doesn't take away from me being a Philadelphia sports fan. The first football game I ever went to was the game where the Cowboys played the Eagles and the Eagles booed Irvin when he got injured (spare me the arguments, I was 8). It made me hate the Eagles for some reason.

I don't understand how people find it absolutely insane that I can be a Cowboys fan and then like the Flyers and Phillies as much as I do. The only similarities the teams have is that they play in the same city. It's not like it's the same players playing 2 sports and I only like one of the teams.

Sorry for the rant. Moral of the story, you don't have to root for the team that plays closest to you.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
  #71
usualsuspect434
Registered User
 
usualsuspect434's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
I'd have to agree with a couple of the more recent posters......sometimes it's just more fun to cheer against the grain than just to go with it.

For example, I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (ie the middle of nowhere) and the ONLY pro sports team within about 300 miles of here is the Saskatchewan Roughriders. We are in the middle of "green country" - people live and die the Riders. I don't like the Riders. I've lived here pretty much my entire life and I like the Toronto Argos. I remember watching the Grey Cup in '97 (TO vs SK) and being the only Argos fan out of a group of about 30 people. Oh the fun I had with all of them when the Argos destroyed them!!

I find that FAR too many people around here just cheer for the closest geographical team. Seeing as how there is no real 'closest' team to us, it's a pretty even split, but most everyone is a fan of Canadian teams - Calgary and Edmonton mostly, lots of Leaf fans (ugh!).

Once again, the whole reason I started following the Flyers was that in '85 and '87, watching the Oilers/Flyers cups, I just hated that everyone around here just cheered for the closest team. I had to go against the grain.....can't help myself.

That, and I just thought orange was so pretty.

usualsuspect434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
  #72
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
I live in England, so have no real connection to the teams in America. I just love hockey.

But, I made a conscious choice to pick ONE Eastern team to follow and ONE Western team to follow, to keep the interest alive.
They were the Philadelphia Flyers & The Colorado Avalanche ()

In the event that the two meet in regular season - whoever the win means more to at that moment, I want to win.

In the event they meet in the SCF..........Flyers over the Avs, every day.

However, in England, I support football, and there is only one ASTON VILLA.

I thankyou

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
  #73
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Aston Villa? Everyone knows Liverpool FC is the only good thing coming out of England since the Magna Charta. I'm beginning to think I have masochistic tendencies actually.

When I grew up our fiercest rivals was a team that now plays in the SEL. I can't cheer for them, it would feel so, so wrong. I realize that it's good for my home town club that they have a team close by that is on that level, but I still feel pretty satisfied whenever they lose a game.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
  #74
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
Seriously? 4.5 hour drive to buffalo, 2 hours to nyc. Not that surprising, and there is a good deal of sabres fans. I think the sabres might actually get preference on MSG up here, but we do get the mix of rags, isles, and sabres.

AHL's Capital District Islanders used to play at the Houston Field House too so there's a number of islanders fans stemming from that too.
I havent driven to Buffalo so I didnt know the time. SERIOUSLY.

I always thought I was closer to Buffalo. I guess because my friends rather have traveled to Buffalo/Canada instead of NYC most of the time.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:16 AM
  #75
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I havent driven to Buffalo so I didnt know the time. SERIOUSLY.

I always thought I was closer to Buffalo. I guess because my friends rather have traveled to Buffalo/Canada instead of NYC most of the time.
Come on man, even Rinaldo knows Buffalo is closer, get your head in the game.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.