HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Legault and Chad Schella fired.

Old
04-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Bileur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
The media is not perfect but its far better then a fair amount of other citys.
Really? Other than Montreal and Toronto which cities have worse media? (not that that would be Legault's fault)

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
The media has treated the Sens like crap for years now, running players out of town, it's about time the VP of communications was fired for doing a horrible job.

They need someone who will remind the media that their access to the Sens players is voluntary and can be permanently revoked at any time.
Are you saying the media should be a cheerleader for the Sens organization?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:18 PM
brockcrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
I've heard Schella was well liked by the players.
I've actually heard quite the opposite from second hand sources...i guess it depends on which player you ask.
Both are quality individuals, I would guess that this stems from the exit interviews and the feedback from the players earlier this week.

brockcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
brockcrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
No, but the media in ottawa is terrible, there are NO cheerlearders and some of the journalists are openly fans of other teams. I like unbiased reporting but unfortunately it seems like they often take digs at the Sens and look for the negatives, but that's what sells papers

brockcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Some of the articles you read in the sun are a bit ridiculous, but its to be expected from dummies like Don Brennan.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Some of the articles you read in the sun are a bit ridiculous, but its to be expected from dummies like Don Brennan.
coughErikKarlssonwasagarbagepickcough.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
pt_mck

Apart from Legault, Schella and their families, who cares?

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
coughTylerCumawasmypickcough

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
yep, thats one of the many

Old
04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
yep, thats one of the many
Read this one.

Sens-ible pick? Zultek

By CHRIS STEVENSON -- Ottawa Sun

Marian Hossa.
Never met the guy; never seen him play.
He was the Senators' first pick, 12th overall in the NHL draft yesterday. Nothing against Mr. Hossa, but hearing his name when it came the Senators' turn to pick was a big disappointment.
To put it bluntly, the Senators blew it yesterday.
The name the Senators should have announced was that of Ottawa 67's winger Matt Zultek.

The Senators need size and scoring up front, two commodities Zultek, who's 6-foot-4 and 218 lbs. (and still growing), has in spades. Maybe he doesn't play as tough as his size might indicate, but he can handle the pushing and shoving.
He's also skilled as witnessed by his 27 goals as a rookie with the 67's last season and his win in the agility portion of the skills competition at the Canadian Hockey League's all-star game.
Since he's coached by Brian Kilrea, you know Zultek is going to come away from his junior career with a good knowledge of how to play a two-way game and what it takes to be a good national leaguer.
Hossa? He apparently has a great offensive flair. But the knock on the smallish (6-foot, 185-lb.) Slovak is he is a completely one-dimensional player, who, one scout told The Hockey News, threw snow on numerous occasions to avoid getting hit.
The Senators blew a chance to pick up a good kid playing right in their own backyard. Zultek already has built-in fans right here in Ottawa and for a team struggling to sell tickets, why not take advantage of that?
That should not be the main reason for taking Zultek, of course. You must take the player you think is going to be the best pro, regardless of where he's from.
That's why the Senators' bypassing of Zultek hurts. The Hockey News and a number of teams rated Zultek ahead of Hossa.
Kilrea has had a little success. One of his little rules to live by at the OHL draft was whenever he was faced with a decision between two evenly matched players, and one of them was from Ottawa or The Valley, he always took the Ottawa kid.
He felt the player would always be motivated, wanting to impress friends and family at the games.
Zultek has impressed some people and made some friends here in Ottawa. Too bad none of them are with the Senators.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Minister of Offence

So if/when Shane Prince gets passed on with NSH or even potentially the OTT 2nd, are we to expect another one of these?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Silex

Perhaps these were the "bad guys" that Melnyk had been alluding to?

Silex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Read this one.

Sens-ible pick? Zultek

Marian Hossa.
He was the Senators' first pick, 12th overall in the NHL draft yesterday. Nothing against Mr. Hossa, but hearing his name when it came the Senators' turn to pick was a big disappointment.
The name the Senators should have announced was that of Ottawa 67's winger Matt Zultek.

The Senators need size and scoring up front, two commodities Zultek, who's 6-foot-4 and 218 lbs. (and still growing), has in spades. Maybe he doesn't play as tough as his size might indicate, but he can handle the pushing and shoving.
He's also skilled as witnessed by his 27 goals as a rookie with the 67's last season and his win in the agility portion of the skills competition at the Canadian Hockey League's all-star game.
Since he's coached by Brian Kilrea, you know Zultek is going to come away from his junior career with a good knowledge of how to play a two-way game and what it takes to be a good national leaguer.
Hossa? He apparently has a great offensive flair. But the knock on the smallish (6-foot, 185-lb.) Slovak is he is a completely one-dimensional player, who, one scout told The Hockey News, threw snow on numerous occasions to avoid getting hit.
The Senators blew a chance to pick up a good kid playing right in their own backyard. Zultek already has built-in fans right here in Ottawa and for a team struggling to sell tickets, why not take advantage of that?
That should not be the main reason for taking Zultek, of course. You must take the player you think is going to be the best pro, regardless of where he's from.
That's why the Senators' bypassing of Zultek hurts. The Hockey News and a number of teams rated Zultek ahead of Hossa.
Kilrea has had a little success. One of his little rules to live by at the OHL draft was whenever he was faced with a decision between two evenly matched players, and one of them was from Ottawa or The Valley, he always took the Ottawa kid.
He felt the player would always be motivated, wanting to impress friends and family at the games.
Zultek has impressed some people and made some friends here in Ottawa. Too bad none of them are with the Senators.
Wow haha, never read that one before. You think Brennan would have learned from his co-worker

Old
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Caje

I'm not really sure what there is to discuss about this. It's not like we have any idea how they were actually performing.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:17 PM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
The media has treated the Sens like crap for years now, running players out of town, it's about time the VP of communications was fired for doing a horrible job.

They need someone who will remind the media that their access to the Sens players is voluntary and can be permanently revoked at any time.
That's a drastic step and not one that should be taken lightly. You're treating it like a black and white issue and it's not. None of the media relations staff can tell the media what to report. I can tell you that what's reported is monitored very closely and on occasion, reporter privileges have been limited.

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:02 AM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockcrack View Post
I've actually heard quite the opposite from second hand sources...i guess it depends on which player you ask.
Both are quality individuals, I would guess that this stems from the exit interviews and the feedback from the players earlier this week.
Nothing could be further from the truth. The players think the world of Chad. The hockey ops have nothing to do with this.
Wrong 2 people got let go.

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:39 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth. The players think the world of Chad. The hockey ops have nothing to do with this.
Wrong 2 people got let go.
Wrong 2 people let go? Give me a break man, you have no idea. I'm not doubting the quality of individual these 2 guys are, prob great men, but they were fired for a reason obviously. We don't know what that reason was, doesn't matter if all the players love Chad or not, doesn't mean he was doing his job as they expected it. Most people don't just get fired for the hell of it.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
Wrong 2 people let go? Give me a break man, you have no idea. I'm not doubting the quality of individual these 2 guys are, prob great men, but they were fired for a reason obviously. We don't know what that reason was, doesn't matter if all the players love Chad or not, doesn't mean he was doing his job as they expected it. Most people don't just get fired for the hell of it.
Sorry kid, you don't know what you are talking about here. 2 good hard working men got released from their jobs. Obviously there is more to the story.

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Sorry kid, you don't know what you are talking about here. 2 good hard working men got released from their jobs. Obviously there is more to the story.
Sorry Bud but I know as much as you do. Please explain to me what part I was wrong about.

- Probably great men?
- Fired for a reason?
- We don't know what that reason was?
- Most people don't get fired for the hell of it?

Wow I really went out on a limb there claiming to know the whole story

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Read this one.

Sens-ible pick? Zultek

Marian Hossa.

wow. quite possibly the worst sens-related article ever. hoss is still my mancrush even though he hasnt been here for years. does anyone know if zultek is still alive?

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Marble

That article is hilarious. I'd never seen it before. I guess there's a reason why the Ottawa Sun doesn't make our picks.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Pitlick*

I hope the Euge isn't becoming a megalomanic owner with his hand in everything.

He reminds me of Ted Leonsis a few years back, before Ted learned to zip his lip and stop saying crazy things.

At least he didn't fall victim to Pierre McGuire's azz kissing campaign and hire him as GM.

I hope we don't end up with a MLS team with an empty soccer stadium that is subsidized by the Ottawa Senators.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Legend Killer

As recently as 2 weeks ago I've seen a bunch of the Sens players out and a few members of the media were there as well(Don Brennan was there) and they were all together around the same table...I don't think the players hate them as much as people may think...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:14 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Chris Stevenson should never be allowed to write another hockey related article again. That is three equal parts of shocking, hilarious and scary.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

I think the Sun needs to criticize our picks more often. Whenever they do that the players end up being awesome. Whenever they don't the players seem to bust more.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote