HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hey Glen.. This is how its done..

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Davisian

vCash: 500
Hey Glen.. This is how its done..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...ight&type=lgns

"No matter how good you've been, or should be, if you aren't delivering in a given game there are others to take your minutes."

Now I realize that the whole Ranger team needed benching, but if a second year coach can pull the trigger on Dallas's biggest stars, Sather should find a way to drive home his point..

Old
10-14-2003, 04:08 AM
True Blue

One of Sather's biggest problems in NY is his reluctance to even contemplate that a younger player can do better than a vet. He is petrified of benching veterans and giving younger guys a chance? Maybe he is afraid of paying Malacough's $3.5m if he is in Hartford.

There are things that Sather can do RIGHT NOW to shake this team up. There is no better time than RIGHT NOW to show that ACCOUNTABILITY is something that is somewhat more than just lip service.
1. Is there really any reason that Lundmark should not be given a chance w/ Lindros? I mean could he do any worse than either Rosie or Carter? Carter is better defensively that Rosie (who by the way is HORRIBLE defensively wise). So maybe a flipping of Jaime & Anson is in order.
2. Jakopin and Nycholat could be brought up and played instead of the Russians. Again, could they do any worse?
3. One can even make a case that Tyutin could be brought up and played while either Poti or Kasper watched.
4. Dominic Moore can be inserted. Is Rucinsky really that good? Could Moore do ANY worse?
5. Can Garth Murray not take the place of Chris Simon pretty easily?
6. Should Lacoutre still be playing 3rd line? Shift him to the 4th where he belongs and let Barnaby come and play the 3rd line w/ Holik.

These are just suggestions. I have been preaching that letting rookies play minimal minutes in NY this year is a waste as they would not play much and not be able to develop next year. However, at this point, do the veterans who are playing "major" minutes, deserve it? Doubtfull.
Like I said yesterday, one of 3 things is happening. 1) Sather's system is unplayable. 2) Sather's system is playable, but the players are refusing to suppress their natural run n' gun instincts. 3) Sather's system is playable and the players are trying to play it but are just incapable to adopting to it. If it is a case of the latter 2, then shouldn't JAckass go out and find players who CAN play the system that he wants? One does not need to go far. Sometimes one can look and fing pieces in his own back yard.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:28 AM
Larry Melnyk

Been saying this all along...This lineup needs youthful energy, speed and enthusiasm injected on a regular basis and needs some of the gutless, hearltess mercenaires strung up by their balls....But, as Brooks commented on this morning and as I and others have commented for months, everything was a done deal from day 1 of camp..No youngster had a chance and there was no competition..And that's a huge reason we are seeing the floating garbage barge on ice....

All of True Blues suggestion is fine by me...It's not too late to fix this thing (relatively speaking) with these types of moves but according to the NY Times Article, Sather plans no changes...Sam old sam old...And more of the utter garbage that is Simon, Hlavac, Rucinsky, Mironov, Maladog, Bouchard, hell, almost every body...

A move like the Stars made would only be a start...And everywhere you turn in the NHL exceptt NY, youngsters are being incorporated into line-ups left and right, and it's helping...Hell, Washington has 2-3 teenagers, 5-6 guys under 23....Ah, what's the use...

Old
10-14-2003, 05:22 AM
OldBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
No matter how good you've been, or should be, if you aren't delivering in a given game there are others to take your minutes."

Now I realize that the whole Ranger team needed benching, but if a second year coach can pull the trigger on Dallas's biggest stars, Sather should find a way to drive home his point..
On the flip side, for Buffalo, as the same article says: "The Sabres were sick of being embarrassed, and played like it."

I'm sure (well maybe not) the NYR feel that way but they're definitely not playing like it. Especially since the players emphasized how the roster turnover was low from last year and that they claimed to remember how disappointed they felt last season.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:57 AM
Fletch

Tb...

1) I agree and suggest that Rosie may not be so bad with Holik. Rosie-Holik-Barnaby? A couple grinders and a guy with some playmaking abilities? Almost sounds line Brylin-Holik-McKay, which was quite the successful line in Jersey. And I'll say it for the umpteenth time...my choice was to have Lundmark on Lindros' left (because I believe the left side is best for Jamie) with Kovalev on the right to set Jamie up for those sweet one timers.

2) Disagree on bringing in Nycholat and Jokopin. Not ready to see non-NHL-ready players play 20+ minutes per game. Seeing [Leetch], Poti, Kaspar, de Vries, Purinton and Bouchard is a different story though.

3) Agree to an extent. Poti put up some nice numbers last season and I don't think a kid that's had two good [AHL] games should replace a guy who's had two bad [NHL] games just yet (considering both supposedly had good camps). Replacing Kaspar may be a different story because he really did jack for the most part last season. Replacing Boris or Malakhov is a different story too.

4) Wouldn't mind seeing Moore. But to answer the question could Moore be any worse? Quite possible if the kid's not ready for top line NHL ice time (and perhaps his niche is as a third liner, not a top liner, so why place that expectation on him?).

5) Wouldn't Scott be a more suitable candidate for Simon's job (or perhaps even Keefe and forget about an 'enforcer')? I'd like to give Murray some Hartford time to establish himself as a leader down there, and get confidence back that may've been lost in his rookie injury-filled season last year.

6) Lacouture should be a fourth liner who kills penalties.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:07 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Someone help me out here. You guys go on & on about 'this guy needs to play here, this guy needs to play this amount of minutes, Sather should bench this player....' It just keeps going on & on. Meanwhile all these players that are traded/let go from this organization goes on to play pretty decnt hockey for other clubs(Derek friggin Armstrong has more points than Lindros!). Its without a doubt the system these guys play, or not play I should say. Sather's trap is only a partial trap, that way the stars of this team don't feel restrained from their offensive game - WHAAAAAA???? You either play the trap, or you don't and lose. Its really that simple nowadays.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Someone help me out here.

Its without a doubt the system these guys play, or not play I should say.
I think that you are missing the point, Bluenote. It's not that we are calling for mass benchings and Hartford replacements becuase of just lack of performance. The problem is that players like Rosie, Malacough, Bobo, Kasper, Poti, Hlavac, Simon are not even trying. Or at least it seems that way. It's one thing to loose when your players are but are busting their hump. It's quite another to loose when your players are not even trying. Have you seen Carter? Has he been on the ice at all? How about Holik or Lindros?
It's the lack of effort that gets us. ESPECIALLY when talking about the Ambigously Defenseless Russian Duo (ADRD from now on). Those 2 are not only seen as not trying but look like the only thing they care about is that they get paid so that they can go and party in Brighton Beach.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I think that you are missing the point, Bluenote. It's not that we are calling for mass benchings and Hartford replacements becuase of just lack of performance. The problem is that players like Rosie, Malacough, Bobo, Kasper, Poti, Hlavac, Simon are not even trying. Or at least it seems that way. It's one thing to loose when your players are but are busting their hump. It's quite another to loose when your players are not even trying. Have you seen Carter? Has he been on the ice at all? How about Holik or Lindros?
It's the lack of effort that gets us. ESPECIALLY when talking about the Ambigously Defenseless Russian Duo (ADRD from now on). Those 2 are not only seen as not trying but look like the only thing they care about is that they get paid so that they can go and party in Brighton Beach.
Yeah, i see your point, and i agree, but that can't be the reason for the last 6 years. They should at least get the last playoff spot even with a few guys not putting forth the effort. I don't believe these guys are all out for the $$$ - some of these guys WANT to win, wouldn't the 'leadership' of the team hold them accountable, or go to Sather & make him bench, or send down any of the slackers? I don't know what it'll take, but if that is the case why would Slats or anyone else let their lack of effort slide?

Old
10-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Fletch

It did sound as though...

these guys were just lost in the 'system', which could mean that the system just differs from anything these guys have seen and they just do not know where to be. Who knows what it is.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
wouldn't the 'leadership' of the team hold them accountable, or go to Sather & make him bench, or send down any of the slackers? I don't know what it'll take, but if that is the case why would Slats or anyone else let their lack of effort slide?
There is the million dollar question. Why would Sather let the obvious lack of effort slide? He presided over the losses last year to Florida and the Pens. He could not have possibly confused those games w/ effort. He saw the first 2 games this year. He could not have possibly confused what he saw with effort there either. Why on Earth would he continue to stand idly by? After preaching about accountability, how could he not enforce it? A question that we have ALL asked but that goes unanswered.
As for the "leadership" going to Sather and talking to him about benching or sending the "slackers" down....come on. Are you talking about Messier? Or is there other "leadership". Becuase if the "leadership" consists of anyone other than Mess, then the said "leadershi" consists of those "slackers" that you are talking about.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
There is the million dollar question. Why would Sather let the obvious lack of effort slide? He presided over the losses last year to Florida and the Pens. He could not have possibly confused those games w/ effort. He saw the first 2 games this year. He could not have possibly confused what he saw with effort there either. Why on Earth would he continue to stand idly by? After preaching about accountability, how could he not enforce it? A question that we have ALL asked but that goes unanswered.
As for the "leadership" going to Sather and talking to him about benching or sending the "slackers" down....come on. Are you talking about Messier? Or is there other "leadership". Becuase if the "leadership" consists of anyone other than Mess, then the said "leadershi" consists of those "slackers" that you are talking about.
So what are you saying about Messier? Wouldn't he be the first one to go to Malakhov/Mironov and the other slackers & tell them to get their arses in gear???

Old
10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
kazo

I don't know how many times over the past couple of years I've mentioned the fact that the mindset of this organization is flawed from top to bottom. It's an open secret around the league that hard work and total effort is often not demanded in NY. I think that this attitude has become so pervasive that it's now second nature. New players acquire this attitude when they arrive and lose it when they leave. And I,m not talking about shuffeling a couple of players in and out of the lineup. At some point in time, whatever year that may be, this organization needs to be purged once and for all. The fact that after six years of failure, not a single rookie was able to crack (?) this lineup speaks volumes.

Until that happens everything else is just widow dressing and little or nothing will change.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
So what are you saying about Messier? Wouldn't he be the first one to go to Malakhov/Mironov and the other slackers & tell them to get their arses in gear???
It's as I said in another thread. What is Messier's role as far as leadership goes? If he is the true Captain, then shouln't it be his task to talk to the Defenseless Duo and take them to task? Isn't this the same guy who once threatened Kend Nilsson with bodily harm if he did not pick up his level of play?
But then there is the question of who the "true" leader of this bunch is. Is it Messier? I have no idea anymore. I would tend to say that Messier is only a figurehead here and that Jackass runs the lockerroom.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
It's as I said in another thread. What is Messier's role as far as leadership goes? If he is the true Captain, then shouln't it be his task to talk to the Defenseless Duo and take them to task? Isn't this the same guy who once threatened Kend Nilsson with bodily harm if he did not pick up his level of play?
But then there is the question of who the "true" leader of this bunch is. Is it Messier? I have no idea anymore. I would tend to say that Messier is only a figurehead here and that Jackass runs the lockerroom.

I think Mess suffers from Satheritis, caught it from Jimmy Dolan :p

Old
10-14-2003, 12:31 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Trottier sat Lindros one game last year, that did nothing.

Closed Thread