HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THW: Penguins have utilized rule tweak to terrorize Lightning defense

Old
04-13-2011, 01:53 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
THW: Penguins have utilized rule tweak to terrorize Lightning defense

THW's Mike Colligan at it again!

Penguins have utilized rule tweak to terrorize Lightning defense

Excerpt:

Quote:
PITTSBURGH – The first round playoff matchup between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Tampa Bay Lightning kicks off tonight at 7pm and is set to be an intriguing one.

In no other series this year can you say both teams have a legitimate chance of sweeping the other. The storylines on the ice are well-documented. Behind the bench, two new-era coaches will faceoff with X’s and O’s.

Tampa’s Guy Boucher is not your average bench boss. The owner of a master’s degree in sports psychology has not been afraid to challenge tradition in his first season. He and new GM Steve Yzerman have transformed the Lightning and taken the franchise back to the playoffs after a chaotic three-year hiatus.

Dan Bylsma of Pittsburgh brings an upbeat, yet relentless approach to the game that was chronicled in detail during the the HBO 24/7 series.
Read on...

Last edited by Jeff Goldblum: 04-13-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Edited URL.
chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Fixed your links. You have http:// twice in a row at the beginning of both.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Dacks

That was a really interesting article. I wasn't aware of the rule tweak for the first half of the year and thought we were getting away with icing all the time!

Dacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Behind Enemy Lines:

How The Bolts Can Win
Posted by: Alan Zlotorzynski

http://thehockeywriters.com/tampa-ba...bolts-can-win/

Last edited by Jeff Goldblum: 04-13-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Edited URL.
Old
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
KiuasWarrior

Very good read. And thank you for fixing the links.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Sideline

The first article is awesome. It's like Cole's X's and O's on steroids. Good work!

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Nice reads, but the Penguins are not the only ones getting an advantage on that icing non calls and players do have to touch the puck enough for them to warrant the transition of it. Most of the time it's done for a line change which both teams get that call anyways.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Good article. As a coach who doesn't consider himself an "old-time hockey coach" (see: Yelling at players to motivate, motivate, motivate), I'll be very interested to see these two new-age coaches go at it. It should make for some great video to study over the summer.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Perfect! Love it! This has to come from Lemieux and Errey because they were masters of that chip play.

Everyone always talks about how well Brown and Lemieux could read each other but Errey was always really under rated as a Lemieux linemate. As much as a goof he can be on TV he was drafted high and has an elite hockey mind. I always love the way the supported Lemieux when the big guy had the puck in every zone.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Almost all NHL teams utilize the rule change. They did a great job of presenting that and being able to show it to the average fan. Great read. It's like dumping the puck from our own zone. It's a beauty.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Rakunitz23

Didn't read the article, but I've been saying all year that if teams played the Lightning the way we do, using this new rule, they would not nearly be as good as their record shows they are. From the first minute of the first game, we had their system's number.

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Fixed your links. You have http:// twice in a row at the beginning of both.
Thanks for fixing the links! A little too excited for the playoffs I guess.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:23 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

It's always been around since I think the lockout, it's just a matter of the refs feeling like calling it that way. Just like almost everything else.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I noticed we really started using this with consistency after a devils game when we got trapped to hell. Bylsma is very good at being ahead of the curve and adjusting. He is a smart guy which makes me wonder why he can't figure something out for the PP.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:47 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Behind Enemy Lines:

How The Bolts Can Win
Posted by: Alan Zlotorzynski

http://thehockeywriters.com/tampa-ba...bolts-can-win/
Quote:
Pittsburgh will not out skate the Lightning in the early stages of the contest. The Bolts are too fast for them.For me it is simple. I like Tampa Bay to score early and then hold on and I base that on one stat.
Im calling BS on that.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:03 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Im calling BS on that.
Really? I thought the Lightning won the first period. Not by a lot but they won it. Plus as far as the article saying they'd score early, well they almost did 3-4 times. It's actually pretty good analysis the pucks just didn't go in. After that it was mostly Penguins though.

Old
04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
JTG

I think TB came out with more energy, but the only thing they were really dominating was shots. They were getting beat up pretty bad in the 1st period.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
WVP

I thought they carried the play for the first 12 minutes or so for sure. If they got up 2-0 in those 12 minutes it certainly would have been a different game.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think TB came out with more energy, but the only thing they were really dominating was shots. They were getting beat up pretty bad in the 1st period.
Those are fair points. I think more importantly it was the chances. I don't really think the Penguins had many legitimate ones in that first 20 minutes. The Lightning came about as close as you can come a few times. As WVP stated they could have easily scored first in this game. Obviously they didn't though. Like I said I don't think they "dominated" they just had a better period by a certain margin.

Old
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Bylsma is very good at being ahead of the curve and adjusting. He is a smart guy which makes me wonder why he can't figure something out for the PP.
Execution and personnel doomed the power play. That's obvious.

But also think- penalty kills are pretty good. They're going to kill 80%+ of most power plays, overall. They take away shooting/passing lanes, and enough time/space to make power plays fairly inefficient.

The PP is dreadful, but the parts aren't that great and the PK's are usually going to win out. Bylsma's a smart guy, but he's not going to be able to re-design the wheel and think of some strategy no coach in the history of hockey has ever thought up.

If anything, he needs to keep it simple: gain zone entry, get bodies to the net, get pucks to the net and pray for lucky bounces or a big guy like Neal/Staal/Rupp to be able to chip a few dirty ones home.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Really? I thought the Lightning won the first period. Not by a lot but they won it. Plus as far as the article saying they'd score early, well they almost did 3-4 times. It's actually pretty good analysis the pucks just didn't go in. After that it was mostly Penguins though.
My thinking is that it says the Bolts are too fast for the Pens and I disagree. Yeah they carried the play early on but I dont think it has to do with thier speed or skating.
Early on we were having trouble getting past the 1 3 1 consistantly and they were using that to take it to us. Doesnt mean they were faster, our forwards had nowhere to go.
Even though it went on like that early on I thought we adjusted well and our dmen outskated thier forwards for awhile transitioning back well.

My issue was really with the idea that thier a faster team. I dont see it that way.

I did like how later in the game, when one of our players finally saw some daylight they just blew into the zone. Like Kunitz in the 3rd, Asham on his goal, Talbot was trying to speed his way into thier zone a few times. Connors speed is still suprising at times.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:47 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
My thinking is that it says the Bolts are too fast for the Pens and I disagree. Yeah they carried the play early on but I dont think it has to do with thier speed or skating.
Early on we were having trouble getting past the 1 3 1 consistantly and they were using that to take it to us. Doesnt mean they were faster, our forwards had nowhere to go.
Even though it went on like that early on I thought we adjusted well and our dmen outskated thier forwards for awhile transitioning back well.

My issue was really with the idea that thier a faster team. I dont see it that way.

I did like how later in the game, when one of our players finally saw some daylight they just blew into the zone. Like Kunitz in the 3rd, Asham on his goal, Talbot was trying to speed his way into thier zone a few times. Connors speed is still suprising at times.
Yeah I agree in that context, I don't think they're too fast for the Penguins by a long shot.

Old
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
NewFang

Lots of teams do this icing exploit now, if not all teams. It's a bad thing from a fan perspective IMO , as it makes you feel like you're watching ping-pong or tennis.

Brian Burke has proposed some interesting rule changes to address this.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
random88hero

Awesome stuff

random88hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Florentino Ariza

Yea, everybody does this