HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Mark McNeill (2011, 18th overall, Chicago)

Old
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Mark McNeill compilation

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Thank you for posting this.
I was kind of disappointed that McNeill shot up the rankings recently. Hoping that the Oilers could snag him with LA's pick, and now will have to hope that the Oilers scan trade up. To me he's a Ryan Getzlaf clone. 6'2" and 210lbs as an 18 year old so I don't see him not gaining another 10-15 lbs in his prime. Plus he's from Edmonton!

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:24 PM
JMac13

I really like this kid - seems to be everything you want in a #2 Centre. Needs to work on his goal celebrations though

JMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
hawksfan50

Wow--from the highlights package I'd want to draft him rightawa--BUT --funny thing,
in the 3 pre-tournament games Canada played prior to the World U-18's-he FAILED to score a goal or light it up in points...Yet he looks so gifted and good in those highlights --COULD IT BE that the DUB was just very poor quality this year? So he looks better than he really is..Same for RNH? (But then mr. Pontless in Red Deer has pulled a floppo vs, the HAT --no ponts in 4 GP to date...Yes RedDeer won 1-o last night to stave off elimination --but NUMERO UNO was foiled again --ZERO pts in 4GP !!! OMG!.....then by comparison--you expect a mid-teens ranked MCNeill to dominate against his age peers at the word U-18's--stillcould when Canada starts play for real,BUT it makes one wonder if MAYBE --just maybe the DUB was way "below par" this year and when its "stars" face tougher competition they are not so "special" ? MCNEill still gets to disprove that once Canada plays in the tournament-but off the pre-tourney games he did not prove effective (at least in the scoring dept.) ....THe one differebce thogh is that RNH is not a fighter..MCNEILL can at least do that even if he doesn't score..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:51 PM
bsmith14

RNH outscored Johansen, Nino, Connolly, Etem. All highly ranked prospects from the "strong 2010 draft year". Maybe they all had a below par year too?

McNeill looks like a great 2nd line center, David Backes esque if you will. But i will literally kill a crow with my bare hands and eat it cold and raw on webcast for you personally if McNeill is taken before RNH. I promise you that.

McNeill could go as high as 12 i think and will be gone by 20 for sure, but is not a top10 pick.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Why do all these prospect vids have absolutely awful metal soundtracks underneath? I want to watch this kid play hockey, not hear from some 3rd rate club band.

And based on what I've seen, I wouldn't be opposed to the Flames taking him; he seems to be a decent skater with good instincts on finding the soft spots in coverage. If he's Getzlaf 2.0 that's great.

One thing I do like is that he definitely doesn't appear to be a product of his team. He was the second-leading scorer on the Raiders, and only five points behind a guy who was playing as an over-ager. Everyone who was near him on the team in scoring was at least a year older, and he was better than them.

I'm now torn between McNeill and Saad. I'm gonna have to throw my support behind the Flames taking McNeill though, because at this point, we need big skilled centers more than anything.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:32 PM
bsmith14

McNeill would be good with wingers like Bourque and Glencross

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Madic

Too much there not to go before the 13th or 14th pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes top 10.

Last edited by Madic: 04-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Too much there not to go before the 13th or 14th pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he is goes top 10.
I can see the Wild drafting him at #10.

He's in the same tier as Armia, Zibanejad, Saad, Jensen, and Biggs. They are all pretty much right there, depending on a team's interest.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Wow--from the highlights package I'd want to draft him rightawa--BUT --funny thing,
in the 3 pre-tournament games Canada played prior to the World U-18's-he FAILED to score a goal or light it up in points...Yet he looks so gifted and good in those highlights --COULD IT BE that the DUB was just very poor quality this year? So he looks better than he really is..Same for RNH? (But then mr. Pontless in Red Deer has pulled a floppo vs, the HAT --no ponts in 4 GP to date...Yes RedDeer won 1-o last night to stave off elimination --but NUMERO UNO was foiled again --ZERO pts in 4GP !!! OMG!.....then by comparison--you expect a mid-teens ranked MCNeill to dominate against his age peers at the word U-18's--stillcould when Canada starts play for real,BUT it makes one wonder if MAYBE --just maybe the DUB was way "below par" this year and when its "stars" face tougher competition they are not so "special" ? MCNEill still gets to disprove that once Canada plays in the tournament-but off the pre-tourney games he did not prove effective (at least in the scoring dept.) ....THe one differebce thogh is that RNH is not a fighter..MCNEILL can at least do that even if he doesn't score..
What?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I can see the Wild drafting him at #10.

He's in the same tier as Armia, Zibanejad, Saad, Jensen, and Biggs. They are all pretty much right there, depending on a team's interest.
Definitely. I keep seeing these rankings with Armia/Zibanejad going 9/10/11 and thinking it's just as likely McNeill goes there. Whether or not he's as skilled, I don't know, but he brings the all-round game and work ethic on North American ice that I think GM's will be drooling over. And everyone wants those right-handed centres.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:04 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Why do all these prospect vids have absolutely awful metal soundtracks underneath? I want to watch this kid play hockey, not hear from some 3rd rate club band.
Yeah youre right, Metallica is a 3rd rate club band lol

Mcneil is the full package, he could be one of those guys who busts but still becomes an NHLer because he can hit, fight and skate.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Mcneill and Jenner are my main targets in the draft. High intensity, strong, tough, 2-way centers. They'll most likely be available 12-20th so it's not too hard to move up.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:43 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Getzlaf was the first name that came to mind here.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
its Metallica dude...and no i won't put any Justin Bieber or Rebecca Black on one of my compilation

Old
04-14-2011, 10:37 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDegs13 View Post
Getzlaf was the first name that came to mind here.
Kesler is a better comparison if you ask me. McNeill isn't as physical as some of his highlight packages make it seem.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Mcneill and Jenner are my main targets in the draft. High intensity, strong, tough, 2-way centers. They'll most likely be available 12-20th so it's not too hard to move up.
habs will take Jenner or McNeil. whichever one is available
imo

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:27 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Kesler is a better comparison if you ask me. McNeill isn't as physical as some of his highlight packages make it seem.
well i only showed 1 fight

when making this video one guy who McNeill remind me watching all those highlight was Patrick Marleau. Maybe a poor Patrick Marleau ? with his size and skating ability.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:33 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
well i only showed 1 fight

when making this video one guy who McNeill remind me watching all those highlight was Patrick Marleau. Maybe a poor Patrick Marleau ? with his size and skating ability.
Yeah, not a bad comparison. Not as close as Kesler though

Old
04-14-2011, 11:39 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post

You sure love reading your stat sheets and ignore watching the games.
RNH played incredible hockey in games 1-3.....scouts were raving.
I did not see game 4.
Put the stats away, pull up a chair and watch the games.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:42 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Yeah, not a bad comparison. Not as close as Kesler though
You would know better than me as i have never got a chance to see him in live action. can't wait for the U-18

Old
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
I still dont like the Kesler comparison.

Style of play? Maybe? But Kesler's game is predicated on speed, "hot nasty, badass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Mark can skate well, but is not elite in that category, nor do I see him being a shutdown center at the next level.

I too am dissapointed in his rise, hoping he could have been a teammate of Kesler

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
... That third rate club band is this band known as "Metallica".... I hear they're pretty good....

Anywho. Totally random, but this kid reminds me of Ryan Getzlaf in every way. He's even balding prematurely like Getzlaf

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Could be Getzlaf, could be Chipchura, but will most likely be more like Stoll?

Never seen him play but that's the impression I get from previous threads like this.
I like the use of that three grade comparison scale. But here are the names I would use to project Mark McNeil:
1. David Backes
2. Jarret Stoll
3. Blair Betts

McNeill has all the tools to top out at as a Backes if he were to continue growing as a player. Scouts have told me in the past though, if the prospect already looks like a 'man', they tend to worry, if he is already close to his ceiling. Unfortunately for Mark McNeil, he has the 'look' of a 25 year old.

Name: Mark McNeill
Number: 9
Position: Centre
Shoots: Right
Height 6'2"
Weight 210
Birthdate: 1993-02-22
Hometown: Edmonton, AB

Wherever he tops out, I have little doubt he'll be a regular NHL pivot in a few years. That likely guarantees him a spot in the mid first round if not higher.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

I think this kid is one of those players that might surprise people and stick with an NHL team sooner than expected, maybe even next year.

Kind of like a Clifford or Wayne Simmonds.