HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part XI "Around The Playoffs Edition" (Year of The Comeback)

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
At the same time it has a lot to do with the ability to hold onto the puck for longer periods of time, which we struggle to do far too often

Old
04-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Pugs35

I thought Thomas looked pretty shaky (at best) to be honest. Bobrovsky looked pretty good in his debut, though.

Old
04-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Sharks/Kings getting real nasty after only one period. Tons of scrums, one fight, a few questionable non calls on hits, play off hockey baby!

Old
04-14-2011, 11:14 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Calm, cool, and collected goaltending VS. erratic "I don't know where the puck is but I think I have it" goaltending.

Not taking anything away from Henrik's play( was very solid) from the 1st game. But there were some very nervous moments including posts that had him beat high (what else is new).
Wow. What? Was that a puck that got past Miller and hit the post and he had no idea where it was?

I'd venture that the Caps scoring chances were much higher quality than Philadelphia's.

As far as Price - he played very well, but the Canadians D collapsed and blocked shots as well as any team I've seen all year. The B's had some great opportunities, but they're clutching their sticks a bit too tightly (probably still haunted by last year).

Lundqvist was as good as either, but the Caps played better than either the B's or the Flyers. Thomas, however, let in a softie.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Wow. What? Was that a puck that got past Miller and hit the post and he had no idea where it was?

I'd venture that the Caps scoring chances were much higher quality than Philadelphia's.

As far as Price - he played very well, but the Canadians D collapsed and blocked shots as well as any team I've seen all year. The B's had some great opportunities, but they're clutching their sticks a bit too tightly (probably still haunted by last year).

You can't ignore our team when it comes to shot blocking. In fact, we're probably the top shot blocking team.

Lundqvist was as good as either, but the Caps played better than either the B's or the Flyers. Thomas, however, let in a softie.
Like I said it's very early to claim anything, but FWIW Price looked the best from the game 1 goalies out of the east. Limited rebounds, calm, and controlled the puck real well. I want my goalie to be calm and collected. That does wonders for a team in the playoffs. It's a stabilizing influence back there. I feel erratic goaltending can come with costs in the playoffs ( Tim Thomas)...Hasek was like that too, but he was amazing at it. Probably my favorite goalie outside of Tretiak.

Chad Johnson actually has that calm, no extra movement goaltending. He has starter potential down the road.

BTW, that Logan Couture..what a hockey player. Wow.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:42 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Yeah, and Williams (shoulder harness and all) isn't far behind. I give the Kings high marks for even being in this without Kopitar.

Old
04-14-2011, 11:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Yeah, and Williams (shoulder harness and all) isn't far behind. I give the Kings high marks for even being in this without Kopitar.
Williams is having a helluva game. But, Couture in his rookie campaign has just been phenomenal and it looks like it wants to transition over to the post season.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Philly is done. They'll be lucky to win 2 games in this series. I told you guys, Philly is the easiest out in the playoffs.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:01 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Philly is done. They'll be lucky to win 2 games in this series. I told you guys, Philly is the easiest out in the playoffs.
Really? I can almost Guarantee they're winning the series.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:10 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Williams is having a helluva game. But, Couture in his rookie campaign has just been phenomenal and it looks like it wants to transition over to the post season.
Yeah, I dunno, Couture played 25 games last year + the playoffs last year. Not really a real "rookie" as far as I'm concerned. Grabner is kinda the same deal.

Rookie of the Year candidates, for me: Skinner, Crawford, and maybe Subban (hate him, but he's effective) would be my top 3 with Skinner winning it at only 18 years old and a force for his team.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Yeah, I dunno, Couture played 25 games last year + the playoffs last year. Not really a real "rookie" as far as I'm concerned. Grabner is kinda the same deal.

Rookie of the Year candidates, for me: Skinner, Crawford, and maybe Subban (hate him, but he's effective) would be my top 3 with Skinner winning it at only 18 years old and a force for his team.
A Rookie is a rookie. So what, Subban played in the playoffs for Montreal last year too. Besides, he should be a long shot. No question, Skinner probably takes the calder. Plus I wasn't even talking about who wins the Calder-- I'm watching playoff hockey right now which is why I'm talking about Couture who has a really bright future.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:29 AM
nyahay bus

Bring me the heads of the San Jose announcers. Thank you.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
At the same time it has a lot to do with the ability to hold onto the puck for longer periods of time, which we struggle to do far too often
Yeah, it seems like our best games are when we're getting the puck back from the opposition constantly.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:35 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Yeah, it seems like our best games are when we're getting the puck back from the opposition constantly.
Yeah, and it's harder for a team like the Rangers to play the puck possession game. We rely on our forecheck and cycle to retain the puck. It's b/c we don't have enough skill up front that can hold onto the puck and make plays. Teams like Detroit are all puck possession hockey. They have a boat load of offensively skilled forwards.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Yeah, and it's harder for a team like the Rangers to play the puck possession game. We rely on our forecheck and cycle to retain the puck. It's b/c we don't have enough skill up front that can hold onto the puck and make plays. Teams like Detroit are all puck possession hockey. They have a boat load of offensively skilled forwards.
Well, that and our D isn't mobile enough with the puck to keep it off the other team's stick without banging it off the boards. Both of those things, I think, will develop in time.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Demers on SJ is an impressive young defender. SJ is so fun to watch, they are creative, fast and have some talent. If only the Rangers had a team like that. They dont rely on the cycle like the Rangers do.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Demers on SJ is an impressive young defender. SJ is so fun to watch, they are creative, fast and have some talent. If only the Rangers had a team like that. They dont rely on the cycle like the Rangers do.
To be fair, though, aside from individual lines (St. Louis-Stamkos) and maybe the Caps, there isn't a team in the East who doesn't rely on the cycle.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
To be fair, though, aside from individual lines (St. Louis-Stamkos) and maybe the Caps, there isn't a team in the East who doesn't rely on the cycle.
I was just talking about SJ in general, there a finesse team.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

that SJ/LA game was really entertaining

Old
04-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Ail
k.

Love J Pavs. He is so playoff money.

Old
04-15-2011, 04:32 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Like I said it's very early to claim anything, but FWIW Price looked the best from the game 1 goalies out of the east. Limited rebounds, calm, and controlled the puck real well. I want my goalie to be calm and collected. That does wonders for a team in the playoffs. It's a stabilizing influence back there. I feel erratic goaltending can come with costs in the playoffs ( Tim Thomas)...Hasek was like that too, but he was amazing at it. Probably my favorite goalie outside of Tretiak.

Chad Johnson actually has that calm, no extra movement goaltending. He has starter potential down the road.

BTW, that Logan Couture..what a hockey player. Wow.
Are you serious? That guy has even struggled in the AHL to be the starter and might not even be re-signed as a RFA. He'll be lucky to ever be a real backup in this league.

Old
04-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Are you serious? That guy has even struggled in the AHL to be the starter and might not even be re-signed as a RFA. He'll be lucky to ever be a real backup in this league.
he has starter potential, yes, but he is having a hard time putting everything together. I see him developing in to a back up at least maybe a 1b guy at his peak

Old
04-15-2011, 05:38 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
he has starter potential, yes, but he is having a hard time putting everything together. I see him developing in to a back up at least maybe a 1b guy at his peak
Sorry, but I don't see that at all. Yeah, he might look calm, but that is not enough.

There are 30 starting jobs for goalies in the NHL. To even be a 1b guy, I'd say you have to be amongst the top-50 goaltenders in the World at least. When you're only the 40th best goalie in the AHL (SV% of .901) at nearly 25 years old that is a pretty tall order.

Now I know that goalies take a bit longer to develop, but what's worrisome is his lack of improvement: ever since returning from his callup last season (when he was proclaimed to eventually be better than Lundqvist by some posters) he has a total SV% of .901. He basically had one great month in his AHL career (November 2010) and apart from that he has been a below average AHL goalie.

If he really has that starting potential, then he better shows it fast, because looking calm and good in a few games isn't enough. Consistency is probably the most important thing for goalies and CJ so far has struggled his whole career (College and AHL) to be consistent. And he is slowly running out of time, at least in this organization.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
Actually, I would say that the best and most talented offensive teams in the league, like DET, VAN, SJ, WSH, CHI, TB, etc., rely on the cycle more than anyone else. The difference is that when they cycle the puck, the cycle eventually evolves into a series of advanced passes that create scoring chances from the circles or the slot. Teams like the Rangers just shuffle the puck along the boards until they either turn it over, kick it back to the point for a shot or one pass and a shot, or try to stuff it into the net.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Damn Sharks.

Closed Thread