HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #1: Sabres @ Flyers - Thursday, Apr. 14, 2011 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
04-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanimal8 View Post
1. pronger desperately needs to come back to get the team sparked
2. the sabres played a 1-3-1 and laviolette is a good coach so he should be able to make adjustments in the flyers attack for game 2, but then again if the players dont wake up it wont matter
3. if the flyers can somehow get through to miller the tide will significantly change imo and they will get their flow
4. its one game, no need for y'all to panic yet its early and thats why its a best of 7
5. the flyers that i remember watching last year roll over the devils isnt remotely close to what i have seen lately, especially tonight....no energy, speed, and minimal grit (although i only saw about the last 8 mins, just based on that span)
Believe me, they had energy and speed, they just couldn't buy a goal.

Think about this: One of the huge factors in the Boston series last year was the fact that the boys knew they were playing on level with Boston, and if they continued what they were doing they will win. It's the same scenario here except its only 1 game not 3. Flyers know they can take these sabres, and they will. Now all we need is richie crushing Vaneks wrist.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:02 AM
skoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
Believe me, they had energy and speed, they just couldn't buy a goal.

Think about this: One of the huge factors in the Boston series last year was the fact that the boys knew they were playing on level with Boston, and if they continued what they were doing they will win. It's the same scenario here except its only 1 game not 3. Flyers know they can take these sabres, and they will. Now all we need is richie crushing Vaneks wrist.
They seemed hesitant to shoot at certain points and kept attempting to blast away from the point. Basically, the same thing that Boston did vs. Montreal.

BTW, who is the girl in your avatar?

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:19 AM
buffalowing88

Sabres fan coming in peace. I just wanted to let you guys know that the Flyers outplayed the **** out of us tonight and I was really impressed by the way your forwards were able to shutdown our top 6 completely.

That being said, I saw one weakpoint in the team and that is Matt Carle. What is up with that guy? He was highly touted coming out of San Jose and he just looked out of place tonight on a handful of plays.

Also...Carter seems beyond snakebitten. He reminds me of Vanek in that when he's "on" than he's capable of winning games by himself but when he's overthinking it, he just loses his touch.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:54 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Also...Carter seems beyond snakebitten. He reminds me of Vanek in that when he's "on" than he's capable of winning games by himself but when he's overthinking it, he just loses his touch.
That's why Carter's goals/points usually come in pairs. If he is on he will score like crazy but he is rarely a game changer. If the team dominates and scores, then Carter will be a big part of it but not the other way round.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 06:22 AM
kicksave27

Was at the game. Bob looked pretty good, he'd go long stretches without facing shots and kept focus. You can't pin the loss on Bob, no matter what. It shouldn't even be a topic of the hack writers. Yeah, he let in a rebound goal and miller didn't. The power play lost the game for the flyers. Miller didn't play spectacularly really, unscreened shot hits him in chest and he traps it with blocker, all game long. The few times the flyers crash the crease, puck is sitting there and the sabres kept them away. If miller can see it, he's going to stop it. The 5 on 3 had me going insane, there's no way miller should be seeing those shots 5 on 3. Makes me miss Hatcher in front of the goalie on power plays. I really wish players would shot for rebounds on odd man rushes and power plays. As much as I like nodl's effort, I would have loved to have Z's offense in that game.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:10 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Last night was a clear definition of being SOL. And of course it happens in game 1 of the playoffs.

I still cannot believe that the Flyers did not score one freaking goal last night. They could have easily had 3, 4 or 5 goals with the chances they had last night. The hockey gods were against them. What's new.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:06 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

We've lost a few Game 1s in the past that we should've won ('08 Caps and MTL, '10 Bruins, '10 Hawks). I'm not worried yet -- this team fights and played pretty damn well.

Just need to put any puck on net. The longer we hold the puck in the slot and make that extra move, the more time Miller has to square up and the more likely it is that a defender will break it up. We'll solve it.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:35 AM
LePalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Sabres fan coming in peace. I just wanted to let you guys know that the Flyers outplayed the **** out of us tonight and I was really impressed by the way your forwards were able to shutdown our top 6 completely.

That being said, I saw one weakpoint in the team and that is Matt Carle. What is up with that guy? He was highly touted coming out of San Jose and he just looked out of place tonight on a handful of plays.

I'd say Syvret was much more of a weakpoint than Carle...really Carle just needs Pronger back and he'll look fine, but until then he doesn't have someone to cover for him while he tries to make plays on offense. Carle-Syvret was two undersized offensive defensemen playing together. Pronger comes back and that changes...a weak link in the chain is how that 1 goal got in.

As for Carter...it's tough to tell with him. You never know when he might do something..but I'm starting to doubt that he'll ever be able to elevate his game for the playoffs. He wasn't horrible last night and had some decent deflection chances, but you'd like to see more from a top player.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
I'd say Syvret was much more of a weakpoint than Carle...really Carle just needs Pronger back and he'll look fine, but until then he doesn't have someone to cover for him while he tries to make plays on offense. Carle-Syvret was two undersized offensive defensemen playing together. Pronger comes back and that changes...a weak link in the chain is how that 1 goal got in.
Agreed. Carle and Syvret were on the ice for the GA last night and did a poor job of keep Kaleta away from that rebound. That doesn't happen if Pronger is there. I thought Syvret had a good game offensively though.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:47 AM
mirimon

Carle has been pretty good lately, even if he had a bit of a rough game last night. Having him together with Syvret and the HBL line out on the ice together is asking for trouble however.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:01 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
I'd say Syvret was much more of a weakpoint than Carle...really Carle just needs Pronger back and he'll look fine.
Most of the posters on this forum would look fine when paired with a future hall of fame defenseman.

Carle was out of position a lot last night - you'd expect that from a tweener/callup like Syvret. On the goal, Syvret was diving back trying to block the shot. Carle was... nowhere to be found.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Last night was a clear definition of being SOL. And of course it happens in game 1 of the playoffs.

I still cannot believe that the Flyers did not score one freaking goal last night. They could have easily had 3, 4 or 5 goals with the chances they had last night. The hockey gods were against them. What's new.
Come on, really? I believe the Flyers are a better team and will win by wearing down the Sabres but this team entered the playoffs on the theory they could flip the switch and show up. What last night was an example of was a team not mentally prepared to do all the little things to win and finish the job. The PP still looks disorganized, players are trying to be too flashy and fancy, and the inability to have their timing and offensive zone presence was lacking. Defensively they played a very good game.

But hockey gods??? They got beat, period.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:47 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Most of the posters on this forum would look fine when paired with a future hall of fame defenseman.

Carle was out of position a lot last night - you'd expect that from a tweener/callup like Syvret. On the goal, Syvret was diving back trying to block the shot. Carle was... nowhere to be found.
John Carlson from the Caps would have not been MIA...and maybe Downie would be getting his nose dirty in front of the net which we needed more of last night.

Carle at 3M is now wearing on me especially since he needs Pronger to babysit him....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:53 AM
FlyersMania2

it is pretty interesting, typically they say the Cup comes down to goaltending...so I suppose last year was a fluke.

Although we've only seen games 1 of all these series, it is looking like goaltending is a huge factor in the playoffs this year. It won the game for Montreal and Buffalo, hands down.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Pronger is there and we likely win that game. Tough loss, but I really still am not worried.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
it is pretty interesting, typically they say the Cup comes down to goaltending...so I suppose last year was a fluke.

Although we've only seen games 1 of all these series, it is looking like goaltending is a huge factor in the playoffs this year. It won the game for Montreal and Buffalo, hands down.
Ehhh, I don't know that miller HAD to be that good, he was just square.. the Sabres D was really good, they blocked a lot.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Ehhh, I don't know that miller HAD to be that good, he was just square.. the Sabres D was really good, they blocked a lot.
They blocked a lot of point shots. Why the hell did we take so many point shots though? And without much traffic? We need to get forwards working down low and in front of the net before passing it back for bombs like that, otherwise the backchecking forwards will have an easy time blocking shots all game.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
But hockey gods??? They got beat, period.
Nah, they got unlucky.

Oh wait, it's cartiesphan. That explains it.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Obviously this game was frustrating to watch, but they played very well defensively. If they can keep that up the goals will come.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM
GrundleBear

this game was very very annoying to watch for a host of reasons. The biggest annoyance factor for me was flipping between the Flyers game and Bruins game. The Bruins / Habs looked like they had so much intensity and the 2 teams were flying around the ice ( kind of how the Flyers looked all season up until 2 months ago). I flip back and its like Im watching the Flyers game in slo mo. something is missing here. Flyers better start to turn up the intensity, or they can get the golf bags ready.

GrundleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post

Goaltending is not the key to winning unless you have Patrick Roy, ROn Hextall, or Martin Brodeur who literally willed their teams to SCF's. It is about a team who is playing at the top of their game, mentally prepared for the grind of the playoffs, and playing a physical brand of hockey that focuses on winning the battles on the boards, and playing a N-S grind style of hockey. Plus going to the net and creating traffic, getting the dirty goals, finesse style rarely wins over dirty, hard-nosed hockey with a refuse to lose mentality.

Unfortunately this team and fans tend to believe there is such a thing as "the switch" which can be turned on when the captain decides to make it happen. Bottom line, this team came into the playoffs not mentally prepared, now game 2 is a "must win" game.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Cartsie, the FLyers were clearly the better team on the ice yesterday. dont know what you were watching

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Nah, they got unlucky.

Oh wait, it's cartiesphan. That explains it.
So you call not converting on a 5v3, and 0-5 on all PP chances, having more skill and talent than the opposing team, a goalie who did his job in net, and a team who is unwilling to pay the price in game one of the playoffs on home ice as "unlucky"??

UNREAL.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The aggravating thing is that all their rhetoric after the regular season was over was that they were "waiting" to get to this point (the playoffs) so they can flip the switch essentially and yet despite the defensive effort the intensity was still not enough. Like somebody said..all the other teams have it in another gear. Last night I found myself like most of the second half of the season losing focus on the game. They are kind of boring to be quite honest. Maybe it's a first game deal of feeling things out but they sure didn't rip the door off the hinges as Lavy said they needed to do. They need to ratchet up the intensity quick and before they are down a couple of games or 3 games. A repeat of what happened against Boston if they are down is not in the offing this season..not with an anemic PP.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-15-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: sp
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
MGIII
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Cartsie, the FLyers were clearly the better team on the ice yesterday. dont know what you were watching
Better in your case is very subjective, and the scoreboard is the paragon of unbiased. You guys were a little faster and kept the puck in, but as a Sabres fan watching a tied game, my composure was only compromised when we were on a 5-3. Otherwise, there were only few sequences that caused me any level of disturbance, and a key talking point (your guys are gonna out-physical my guys and run them out the building) was completely neutralized.

I mean, if they were better, it was in everything that didn't result in a goal. Hockey gods or not.

I admit that I'm somewhat biased, however. That's freely granted.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote