HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Phil Legault and Chad Schella fired.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
I think the Sun needs to criticize our picks more often. Whenever they do that the players end up being awesome. Whenever they don't the players seem to bust more.
They said Daigle was going to the next Lemieux, didn't they....

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
They said Daigle was going to the next Lemieux, didn't they....
Daigle could have been a great hockey player, he had over 50 pts in his rookie yr second to Yashin on the team in scoring on a brutal team to boot. It's too bad, whatever happened to that guy, the money, the fame, the inability to handle it all, whatever it was, he was never the same & never got it back, too bad. It sort of shows you the luck of the franchise they draft Yashin who turns out to be a a greedy *****, Hamerlick goes second & is still playing in the NHL. Ottawa drafts Daigle & Pronger goes second. Ottawa drafts Bonk & I forget he went after him but I bet he turned out better. This team has had more than it's share of bad luck & yet somehow still managed 10 straight playoff appearances.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:14 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Daigle could have been a great hockey player, he had over 50 pts in his rookie yr second to Yashin on the team in scoring on a brutal team to boot. It's too bad, whatever happened to that guy, the money, the fame, the inability to handle it all, whatever it was, he was never the same & never got it back, too bad. It sort of shows you the luck of the franchise they draft Yashin who turns out to be a a greedy *****, Hamerlick goes second & is still playing in the NHL. Ottawa drafts Daigle & Pronger goes second. Ottawa drafts Bonk & I forget he went after him but I bet he turned out better. This team has had more than it's share of bad luck & yet somehow still managed 10 straight playoff appearances.
I'll still take Yashin. He was great when we had him, and when we didn't we got Spez and Chara. Turned out ok as far as im concerned. Most franchises don't have that kind of luck when their best player demands a trade. ie Heatley, Roy.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
The guy who went after Bonk (Jason Bonsignore, 4th overall) was way worse.

hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Bonk was taken at 3, coulda had Ryan Smyth at ........ 6.

There's lots of teams that would do their drafts over again if they could.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:19 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Ok, first of all, I know for a fact that Glen Gower is not to blame for the Spartan debacle. I don't know who is to blame, all I know is that the production people had one thing planned, and at the last minute "someone from above" decided the Spartan thing was what they were going to do.

I don't know if it came from Melnyk, Mlakar....whoever, but it certainly was someone over Glen Gower's head.

Zultek I believe destroyed one or both of his knees and was never able to get his skating, which was already pretty terrible, back to pro calibre. He also made the terrible mistake of not signing a contract when he was L.A.'s 1st round pick, and then was drafted by Boston in 99. He's still kicking around in some minor league I have never heard of.

As ridiculous as Stevenson looks in that article, you can't take it too seriously. Zultek did look to be a prototypical power forward back then. These guys aren't journalists. They are writers.

Anyway I think it is sad that two guys lost their jobs and nobody knows why. Maybe a legitimate reason is there, who knows.

The Senators are a joke organization compared to how they used to be run. A lot of good people have been through the door. It's a stepping stone to better things. The best move on, and we get a 30 year loser as a GM signed to an extension.

Tough times.

John Holmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Ok, first of all, I know for a fact that Glen Gower is not to blame for the Spartan debacle. I don't know who is to blame, all I know is that the production people had one thing planned, and at the last minute "someone from above" decided the Spartan thing was what they were going to do.

I don't know if it came from Melnyk, Mlakar....whoever, but it certainly was someone over Glen Gower's head.

Zultek I believe destroyed one or both of his knees and was never able to get his skating, which was already pretty terrible, back to pro calibre. He also made the terrible mistake of not signing a contract when he was L.A.'s 1st round pick, and then was drafted by Boston in 99. He's still kicking around in some minor league I have never heard of.

As ridiculous as Stevenson looks in that article, you can't take it too seriously. Zultek did look to be a prototypical power forward back then. These guys aren't journalists. They are writers.

Anyway I think it is sad that two guys lost their jobs and nobody knows why. Maybe a legitimate reason is there, who knows.

The Senators are a joke organization compared to how they used to be run. A lot of good people have been through the door. It's a stepping stone to better things. The best move on, and we get a 30 year loser as a GM signed to an extension.

Tough times.
You act as though noone has ever been fired from an organization before. What about the guys who had their jobs taken by Schella and Legault, are you crying for them?
and since when does sens management have an obligation to tell the fans why they fired someone in a marketing role?

Old
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

Tough times.
And its a pretty piss poor writing if you ask me. I don't mind a writer stating after a draft he would have preferred Zultek and stated why, but read the actual tone of the writing and the words used in it, IE blanket statements. Stating that the Senators blew it is ridiculous when its an article the day after a draft. Its articles like those that bite you in the ass, and it should. To me its garbage, sensationalist writing, no pun intended.

I guess Im more old fashioned with journalism, and it seems like a perfect article for ESPN or something that Skip Bayless would write.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

I don't think that the Senators owe me any explanation as to why they fired 2 people. I am pretty sure Phil Legault has been there from day 1 incidentally. At least since the new arena was opened.

What you are describing as a writing style is boring and nobody would read or remember it. It's comparable to a shock jock.

They are outrageous on purpose. It's a gimmick.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Pitlick

Quote:

I can also verify this as being true. Gower had nothing to do with it. It was Mlakar. The Spartan was an actor he knew from California.

Sure, the in-house productions aren't crazy exciting, and are kind of vanilla, but they are pretty much the same as every arena. Gower is basically providing what the Sens, NHL and the sponsors want. His job is to put it all together, not invent how it's going to be done. I think it's fine as it is.

Pitlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:53 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Nice try, Glen Gower. You're not fooling anyone.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:57 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
The Senators are a joke organization compared to how they used to be run.
This is either clearly baseless speculation, or sour grapes from a burned employee. I'll let you choose.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:58 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
He's not Gower, Gower is pleasant.

hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
You act as though noone has ever been fired from an organization before. What about the guys who had their jobs taken by Schella and Legault, are you crying for them?and since when does sens management have an obligation to tell the fans why they fired someone in a marketing role?
What is it that you are attempting to argue? That some people have knowledge of the situation and that you don't, so you act all skeptical? You think that lessens the message, or enhances yours?
I'll say this. The firings caught the players of guard and they are far from pleased

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Freerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
What is it that you are attempting to argue? That some people have knowledge of the situation and that you don't, so you act all skeptical? You think that lessens the message, or enhances yours?
I'll say this. The firings caught the players of guard and they are far from pleased
What is it that you're trying to argue? All your post are these opinions which don't matter to management. Players don't run the Senators organization, management does, and if they feel these 2 guys need to be let go, then thats the way it works.

You act like your some hero big shot, but your opinions mean nothing, lets let the actual bosses make the decisions.

Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:47 PM
SenzZen
Do it for Alfie!

Quote:
Ok, first of all, I know for a fact that Glen Gower is not to blame for the Spartan debacle...

Tough times.
Boo to the mother-f***ing hoo, homeboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I lol'd

Somebody tell me these guys were somehow responsible for that the "Friday" fan-dance- and Glen Gower wasn't

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
LGSens

[QUOTE=Freerider;32396688]What is it that you're trying to argue? All your post are these opinions which don't matter to management. Players don't run the Senators organization, management does, and if they feel these 2 guys need to be let go, then thats the way it works.

You act like your some hero big shot, but your opinions mean nothing, lets let the actual bosses make the decisions.[/QUOTE

You are right my opinions mean little. I am merely offering my insight into the situation as I can speak with some knowledge on the subject. Believe it or don't; couldn't care less. Calling it BS doesn't make it any less true.
There is more to the story which doesn't need to be added here. Saying management doesn't care what the players want is wrong. This was not a management decision.

Old
04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
SensHero

[QUOTE=LGSens;32397058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
What is it that you're trying to argue? All your post are these opinions which don't matter to management. Players don't run the Senators organization, management does, and if they feel these 2 guys need to be let go, then thats the way it works.

You act like your some hero big shot, but your opinions mean nothing, lets let the actual bosses make the decisions.[/QUOTE

You are right my opinions mean little. I am merely offering my insight into the situation as I can speak with some knowledge on the subject. Believe it or don't; couldn't care less. Calling it BS doesn't make it any less true.
There is more to the story which doesn't need to be added here. Saying management doesn't care what the players want is wrong. This was not a management decision.
The extent of your knowledge is unknown to me, I would assume based on your comments in this post and others before that you most likely have a buddy who plays for the sens, or you are a buddy of a buddy, whatever the case. But I was curious about this situation so I called a couple people to get the whole story or at least their knowledge of it, but it's first hand knowledge from guys who are close to the team, that's all i'll say.
To summarize my converastion these people said the following.
- It's never fun to see someone you know fired.
- It's a business and people come and go all the time.
- We've seen players leave this season that we were close to but certainly aren't upset at the owners or management for that.
- The fired guys were great guys who seemed to work hard for the players.
- They don't get caught up in that side of the business.

My point from all of this is you say you have all this knowledge of the situation but throw out blanket statements like "The firings caught the players off guard and they are far from pleased". Maybe you talked to a player, maybe you didn't but to suggest that all the players are upset is just an opinion you formed. That certainly isn't the case with all the players that's for sure.
Bottom line moves were made, players don't worry about that side of the business, and they certainly aren't all caught off guard.

Old
04-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Minister of Offence

LGSens? His insight is most likely related to people in media.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 06:16 PM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
LGSens? His insight is most likely related to people in media.
Ya maybe you know better than me. I just don't like the blanket statements suggesting that because one player might be upset then that means they all are, assuming that there is a player who is upset.

Old
04-15-2011, 06:17 PM
LGSens

[QUOTE=SensHero;32398328]
Quote:

The extent of your knowledge is unknown to me, I would assume based on your comments in this post and others before that you most likely have a buddy who plays for the sens, or you are a buddy of a buddy, whatever the case. But I was curious about this situation so I called a couple people to get the whole story or at least their knowledge of it, but it's first hand knowledge from guys who are close to the team, that's all i'll say.
To summarize my converastion these people said the following.
- It's never fun to see someone you know fired.
- It's a business and people come and go all the time.
- We've seen players leave this season that we were close to but certainly aren't upset at the owners or management for that.
- The fired guys were great guys who seemed to work hard for the players.
- They don't get caught up in that side of the business.

My point from all of this is you say you have all this knowledge of the situation but throw out blanket statements like "The firings caught the players off guard and they are far from pleased". Maybe you talked to a player, maybe you didn't but to suggest that all the players are upset is just an opinion you formed. That certainly isn't the case with all the players that's for sure.
Bottom line moves were made, players don't worry about that side of the business, and they certainly aren't all caught off guard.
Yes they do, and yes they were caught off guard. Last I will add to the thread.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:28 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

Well if it wasn't management, that can only imply ownership, and we know how on the ball the Euge is.

Based on his drunken interviews, and infatuation with Bryan Murray, I'd say it's par for the course.

I am not Glen Gower, but I do know him. I am not a bitter ex-employee either. Pretty sure my IP will turn up as southern Florida if anyone bothers to check.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:37 PM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

One more thing, all you people that could put together a much better game day production that love to post about it. Everything that you see in the arena is sponsored by a company.

Sponsored events / spots / whatever...they aren't negotiable. They happen because someone paid for it to happen. The team has 3 TV timeouts per period, the intermissions, and stoppages in play to get them all done.

I'd love any one of you to attempt to run a game.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:42 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
What a joke. You want us to believe that a bunch of rookies are 'upset' that some guys, that most of them worked with for less than a year, were let go?

This team has one player that isn't expendable... Spezza... and considering we dumped all his NHL playing friends and he's still here I don't think he'd really cares.

The only other 2 players who really could speak up are Phillips, who should be happy he even got a new contract, and Alfie who will be playing his last year next year.

So please... tell us exactly which players are devastated?

Last edited by OttawaGM: 04-16-2011 at 01:54 AM.
OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:49 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
One more thing, all you people that could put together a much better game day production that love to post about it. Everything that you see in the arena is sponsored by a company.

Sponsored events / spots / whatever...they aren't negotiable. They happen because someone paid for it to happen. The team has 3 TV timeouts per period, the intermissions, and stoppages in play to get them all done.

I'd love any one of you to attempt to run a game.
Then halve the number of spots and triple the price. How do you do that? Hire some people to create meaningful productions for these companies that people will actually remember. As it stands none of the in game entertainment/advertisement is worth paying attention to and I'm sure the companies pay accordingly.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote