HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #1: Sabres @ Flyers - Thursday, Apr. 14, 2011 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
There it is Can't give a young player on the team you supposedly love credit without bashing another
Winning.

JVR is becoming what Jody Shelley should have been

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Norm MacDonald

Hey guys... Versteeg can't be a **** hockey player because he won a cup once. It's science

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
flyersguy33*

I really think we need to dress Z tomorrow. He has shown that he is capable of taking over and getting our offense going. I think its safe to say that after last nights performance Z would be a great addition to our lineup. Get that useless hack Carcillo out if the line up and give his spot to Z. Carcillo sucks and brings nothing to the table. Z can dangle anyone and open hp our offense, something we need

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
There it is Can't give a young player on the team you supposedly love credit without bashing another
It's the truth, as much as people may not want to hear it.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

It's the absolute truth. I can not think of a player since Lindros who is so polarizing as Jeff Carter. It's no secret, I absolutely despise Carter and waste every birthday wish, every shooting star, every wishbone on the dream that he'll be shipped off for a goalie.

There's that old hockey expression that was evoked recently by Prongs "Winning despite your play" well substitute scoring for winning and their is the scouting report on number 17.

Carter is a ridiculously talented player who should easily score 50 goals a year but for some reason he lacks the next gear or the drive or passion to break through to the next level. His inability to read the play and his overall below average hockey sense is baffling to me for a player with that high of a skill set.

With the emergence of our youth, I've given up on Carter and resolved to the idea that he will be a perennial 30-35 goal scorer that disappears in big games and the playoffs.

Prove me wrong Jeff, for the love of God, prove me wrong

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:57 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Speaking as a Sabres fan, this series is so far from over it an't even funny.
I do think think this focus on Pronger is overwhelming. I can't imagine the Flyers themselves are this fixated. When you get an injury like that, you move on. If you become obsessed with the player coming back to save you, you're done.
My guess is the TEAM is not as focused on Pronger coming back.
Let's face it. Early shot in Miller goes through and bounces off post. If it goes on in, game totally could go another way.
Your goalie was well protected for the whole game and gave up one big rebound and it went to Kaleta who wasn't covered.
Frankly, I was alarmed at how few scoring chances the Sabres had. Yes, alarmed. Flyers had about 55% to 60% of the play in the game, maybe more. Sabres will not win the series unless they improve. They will BTW.
If the Flyers win the series, it'll having zero to do with Pronger. It will be because your forwards just overwhelmed our defense which is vulnerable with Leopold and Sekera both out.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:03 PM
murp0837

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I dont know about this. We had a few scrambles and second chances and they took several stupid penalties. We simply needed more finish...
That's a silly assertion. Buffalo had a game plan, and Philadelphia fell right into it. Look at the shot charts - 2 shots in the slot, and the rest on the perimeter. Miller was great, but he never had to make a spectacular game and the defense was collapsing and clearing the rebounds.

Face it. The Sabres played the perfect road game last night. They kept things cool, stifled a high scoring offense, and counter-attacked. All you need to know could be heard from the Flyers fans booing the team.

You can say that Philadelphia dominated play, but I didn't see it. The Sabres executed exactly how Ruff wanted them to (note: Ruff is now 9-2 in game 1s when he opens on the road).

murp0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I do think think this focus on Pronger is overwhelming. I can't imagine the Flyers themselves are this fixated. When you get an injury like that, you move on. If you become obsessed with the player coming back to save you, you're done.
Let's face it. Early shot in Miller goes through and bounces off post. If it goes on in, game totally could go another way.
Your goalie was well protected for the whole game and gave up one big rebound and it went to Kaleta who wasn't covered.
Frankly, I was alarmed at how few scoring chances the Sabres had. Yes, alarmed. Flyers had about 55% to 60% of the play in the game, maybe more. Sabres will not win the series unless they improve. They will BTW.
If the Flyers win the series, it'll having zero to do with Pronger. It will be because your forwards just overwhelmed our defense which is vulnerable with Leopold and Sekera both out.
My friend that type of Horse-sense and thoughtful understanding will only get you tarrred and feathered around these parts. Sadly these aren't your daddy's Flyers Boards no longer. Get out while you still can.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:12 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Delusional Sabres fan(s).

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:17 PM
CGiroux3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
It's the absolute truth. I can not think of a player since Lindros who is so polarizing as Jeff Carter. It's no secret, I absolutely despise Carter and waste every birthday wish, every shooting star, every wishbone on the dream that he'll be shipped off for a goalie.

There's that old hockey expression that was evoked recently by Prongs "Winning despite your play" well substitute scoring for winning and their is the scouting report on number 17.

Carter is a ridiculously talented player who should easily score 50 goals a year but for some reason he lacks the next gear or the drive or passion to break through to the next level. His inability to read the play and his overall below average hockey sense is baffling to me for a player with that high of a skill set.

With the emergence of our youth, I've given up on Carter and resolved to the idea that he will be a perennial 30-35 goal scorer that disappears in big games and the playoffs.

Prove me wrong Jeff, for the love of God, prove me wrong
Ahhhhhh Thank you! That was REFRESHING! The Carter LOVE affair disgusts me, A few years ago he competed in and all-star challenge for fastest skater. He placed 2nd, since then ive never seen him try to go that fast. HE annoys the **** out of me.

CGiroux3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp0837 View Post
That's a silly assertion. Buffalo had a game plan, and Philadelphia fell right into it. Look at the shot charts - 2 shots in the slot, and the rest on the perimeter. Miller was great, but he never had to make a spectacular game and the defense was collapsing and clearing the rebounds.

Face it. The Sabres played the perfect road game last night. They kept things cool, stifled a high scoring offense, and counter-attacked. All you need to know could be heard from the Flyers fans booing the team.

You can say that Philadelphia dominated play, but I didn't see it. The Sabres executed exactly how Ruff wanted them to (note: Ruff is now 9-2 in game 1s when he opens on the road).
At one point the FLyers were outchancing 15-5. Not sure what the final total was.

25 shots by Buffalo, what studs!

Old
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGiroux3133 View Post
Ahhhhhh Thank you! That was REFRESHING! The Carter LOVE affair disgusts me, A few years ago he competed in and all-star challenge for fastest skater. He placed 2nd, since then ive never seen him try to go that fast. HE annoys the **** out of me.
Yet he somehow always manages to power past the other team to get shots on goal.

I wonder if that's related to his speed and efficient skating?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Swiper the Fox

doesn't look like buffalo wanted to fight in that game, so, dress Z and bench
carcillo

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
So you call not converting on a 5v3, and 0-5 on all PP chances, having more skill and talent than the opposing team, a goalie who did his job in net, and a team who is unwilling to pay the price in game one of the playoffs on home ice as "unlucky"??

UNREAL.
They had 11 shots on 4 PPs alone. And don't try to tell me that they were all low percentage shots. What did the Sabres score on? A low percentage shot that led to a massive rebound directly to Kaleta. That's called luck. The Sabres shooter did not intend to pass the freaking puck off of Bobrovsky's pad to Kaleta's stick. It was luck. I didn't see any Flyer blow a wide open net last night. Sometimes hockey plays out like this, unfortunately it was a game 1 of the playoffs. And about Carle not checking Kaleta or his stick -- that was definitely a **** up. Regardless, the low percentage shot bounced directly to Kaleta. Luck.

The Flyers outworked the Sabres, especially in the 2nd period, and certainly deserved a goal or three. There's a lot of luck involved in hockey. I don't want to hear the "you make your luck" routine. They Flyers played well last night and deserved a win.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post

I am not concerned that the Flyers are not going to overcome last night, but they should also not be taking the Sabres for granted. It has been said before and will be said again.....IF the Flyers play at the level they can and with the skill they have there is not team in the EC who can beat them.

Key to this series is the Flyers being able to wear down the Sabres and take advantage of having to make Miller the focus of the series.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
murp0837

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
At one point the FLyers were outchancing 15-5. Not sure what the final total was.

Fortunately, shots taken means absolutely nothing. You don't win games based on how many shots you take. Plus, look at the shot quality - nothing in the slot, most coming from the perimeter.

Buffalo had no desire to outshoot Philadelphia. All they wanted to do was play a smart road game. They did that, and now they have home-ice advantage.

Old
CGiroux3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yet he somehow always manages to power past the other team to get shots on goal.

I wonder if that's related to his speed and efficient skating?
I believe you mean HIGH and WIDE

CGiroux3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheLegendkiller

Tough tough loss. I didn't see the game but watched highlights and looked at the box score. It looked like the Flyers dominated a good amount of the play but just got really unlucky with scoring chances. They just gotta get back at it next game. Don't forget the Blackhawks lost both game 1s in the first 2 rounds last year on their home ice and came back to win both series because of their strong road record. Also every year since the lockout the Flyers have always lost game 1 of the first round of the playoffs or been outplayed by the opposition. They were usually on the road but I guess that didn't matter.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp0837 View Post
Fortunately, shots taken means absolutely nothing. You don't win games based on how many shots you take. Plus, look at the shot quality - nothing in the slot, most coming from the perimeter.

Buffalo had no desire to outshoot Philadelphia. All they wanted to do was play a smart road game. They did that, and now they have home-ice advantage.
6 games left, 3 in buffalo, 3 in Philly. Thats not home ice advantage, thats a wash. They did take away Philly's home ice advantage though

Old
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
They had 11 shots on 4 PPs alone. And don't try to tell me that they were all low percentage shots. What did the Sabres score on? A low percentage shot that led to a massive rebound directly to Kaleta. That's called luck. The Sabres shooter did not intend to pass the freaking puck off of Bobrovsky's pad to Kaleta's stick. It was luck. I didn't see any Flyer blow a wide open net last night. Sometimes hockey plays out like this, unfortunately it was a game 1 of the playoffs. And about Carle not checking Kaleta or his stick -- that was definitely a **** up. Regardless, the low percentage shot bounced directly to Kaleta. Luck.

The Flyers outworked the Sabres, especially in the 2nd period, and certainly deserved a goal or three. There's a lot of luck involved in hockey. I don't want to hear the "you make your luck" routine. They Flyers played well last night and deserved a win.
They had a 5v3 for 40 seconds and a guy who broke his stick, no shots on net. Too many shots from the perimieter and the Flyers are taking themselves out of good PP chances by skating with the puck and allowing the defense to cover two players in one space.

The Kaleta goal was not a lucky bounce, it was a bad rebound given up and poor coverage. Maybe if the Flyers start sending more players driving to the net and more shots instead of fancy behind the back Harlem Globetrotters brand of hockey they will make some of their chacnes count instead of blaming it on bad luck, lucky bounces, or a hot goalie.

Look at the last Pens game as a telling example. The Flyers crashed Fleury, created traffic, and got some favorable bounces due to the work and driving the net. This is playoff hockey, no more pretty goals, time to earn the goals. There is plenty of room for improvement and it starts with the leaders on this team, period.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
murp0837

Quote:

Philadelphia had 8 shots on the 5-v-3 PP. The final shot totals were 34 (PHI) and 25 (BUF). So barring a 2-minute stretch that Philly failed to capitalize upon, the shots on goal numbers were pretty even (26-25, including 4 additional minutes on the PP for PHI)

The TRUTH is that the whole game was pretty even. Buffalo wanted to play defensive hockey and counter-attack. They did, got a big rebound and buried the puck in the net.

Who knows what happens next game? All I know is that Flyers haven't been able to beat the Sabres in their last 3 meetings.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
6 games left, 3 in buffalo, 3 in Philly. Thats not home ice advantage, thats a wash. They did take away Philly's home ice advantage though
I am not even worried about that, the Flyers can win on the road. What is worrisome is that once again they put themselves in a "must win" scenario. Lose tomorrow night and forget the SCF's.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

positives:

homer's offseason plan to bolster our defensive depth worked last night. we shut them down for most of the game without pronger and it helped us control the play. bob slipped up once and for the most part gave our guys a shot to win the game.

negatives:

our second and third lines are in a pathetic state of limbo. carter/grioux and richards/versteeg need to be split up. in general the forwards aren't doing anything to create chances. they're being reduced to low-percentage shots from the top of the circle that almost always go high and wide. get it down low and fight for the rebounds. miller had a good game but we made it easy for him last night.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I am not even worried about that, the Flyers can win on the road. What is worrisome is that once again they put themselves in a "must win" scenario. Lose tomorrow night and forget the SCF's.
Are you ****ing 5 years old, what the **** are you talking about ???

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:41 PM
murp0837

Quote:
True, but premise of Home Ice Advantage is that the home team has a higher probability of winning. If the Sabres win their home games (which is unlikely in pro hockey), they win the series. Game 7 doesn't even come into play.

In the intended sense, Buffalo did capture H.I.A..