HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How badly hurt is Richards?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
  #76
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Cause Gagne has been so incredibly amazing for the Bolts this year. I'll take Mez for his contract over an aging Gagne, who looks like half the player he used to be. I will never forget his GWG against Boston though. That will last forever.

How much of Gagne did you guys actually watch this year?
Problem is that we actually got Walker for Gagne....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:50 PM
  #77
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Problem is that we actually got Walker for Gagne....
Right, I understand that but the salary cap dollars that otherwise would've been wasted on Gagne went to Mez.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:51 PM
  #78
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Cause Gagne has been so incredibly amazing for the Bolts this year. I'll take Mez for his contract over an aging Gagne, who looks like half the player he used to be. I will never forget his GWG against Boston though. That will last forever.

How much of Gagne did you guys actually watch this year?
How much of Gagne did you watch in the 2nd half? No question, he started slow and then was injured. He's historically slow coming off an injury. He had 14 points in March, 5 in a handful of games in April.

I'd much rather have Gagne a Flyer. The Flyers have more salary than Gagne makes sitting in the pressbox every night. Think about that.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:53 PM
  #79
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Right, I understand that but the salary cap dollars that otherwise would've been wasted on Gagne went to Mez.
Somewhat...lots of money squandered on Walker, Shelley and Leighton...you can add in maybe Carcillo and to an extent Zherdev especially the way he's sitting more than he's playing....

The cap was def not handled well in the offseason..we could have had more added value rather than risking cap space with reentry moves on players we shouldn't have signed in the first place and then considering them "depth" moves ....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:54 PM
  #80
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Are you serious? Enough, if you want to go toe to toe for hockey knowledge or experience of being a Flyers fan go for it, I have been around long enough to remember the last Stanely Cup parade and have experienced having the pleasure of watching Game 6 in the Spectrum of the 1987 SCF's. I have seen winners and teams who deserved to be considered winners, such as the Flyers teams under Mike Keenan. This team has yet to show that on a nightly or yearly basis, honest praise and a legacy is not given, it is earned. Until this team shows that type of character I will question the tenured leaders at every moment the question needs to be asked and no one like you is going to be able to change that of this long time Philly Phan.

Being able to voice an honest opinion about a team who some have followed since their inception is about being a fan as much as sitting back and acting like Chip Diller. And yes, if your captain does not give 60 minutes of effort in a playoff game I do question the heart of the warrior.
So you claim to be around since last cup as I have, and you say winning is a must for Richards and Carter, does that not apply to every team since 75 cause we haven't one since. You are claiming to be superfan, yet you must have hated every single top player or captain since ?? And how the **** do you claim an honest opinion when 95 % of your hate is for 2 guys. Start a thread, say you hate them and want them gone, and move the **** on so we can discuss the Flyers as fans of the team and what they stand for.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
  #81
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
How much of Gagne did you watch in the 2nd half? No question, he started slow and then was injured. He's historically slow coming off an injury. He had 14 points in March, 5 in a handful of games in April.

I'd much rather have Gagne a Flyer. The Flyers have more salary than Gagne makes sitting in the pressbox every night. Think about that.
Gagne was NOWHERE to be found until the 3rd week of March. Great, so he was helpful for 3 weeks out of a 7 month season. Not that great of an investment.

The one thing I will give you is that our PP is sorely missing his knack for finding those open spots in the slot area and finding the back of the net with good frequency.

I think losing him was the biggest blow to our PP if anything.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:56 PM
  #82
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
No, the Vanek line.
Ah, okay - fair enough. They are unproven, but do form the bulk of Buffalo's offense. Vanek has the talent to take over a game singlehandedly, so I do considering shutting him down a good job.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
  #83
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Gagne was NOWHERE to be found until the 3rd week of March. Great, so he was helpful for 3 weeks out of a 7 month season. Not that great of an investment.

The one thing I will give you is that our PP is sorely missing his knack for finding those open spots in the slot area and finding the back of the net with good frequency.

I think losing him was the biggest blow to our PP if anything.
Having a Gagne and Knuble would have helped with continuity which is important to a successful PP. That's why Richards made a public remark about the PP units being jerked around too much which is valid but then again you have to bear down and try and work it out which obviously hasn't happpened and could be our undoing especially if we lose close games. Predicted there would be a lot of close games and OT's and it might come to that...luckily no shootouts.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
  #84
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Gagne was NOWHERE to be found until the 3rd week of March. Great, so he was helpful for 3 weeks out of a 7 month season. Not that great of an investment.

The one thing I will give you is that our PP is sorely missing his knack for finding those open spots in the slot area and finding the back of the net with good frequency.

I think losing him was the biggest blow to our PP if anything.
Definitely - his hands around the net would come in handy last night.

I hate that he's not going to retire a Flyer. And I really hate that the Flyers took back a bunch of crap for him. None of which has helped the Flyers this year.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM
  #85
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
So you claim to be around since last cup as I have, and you say winning is a must for Richards and Carter, does that not apply to every team since 75 cause we haven't one since. You are claiming to be superfan, yet you must have hated every single top player or captain since ?? And how the **** do you claim an honest opinion when 95 % of your hate is for 2 guys. Start a thread, say you hate them and want them gone, and move the **** on so we can discuss the Flyers as fans of the team and what they stand for.
If you are not going to hold the guys who are leaders on the ice and in the dressing room accountable then who do you hold accountable? Old Man Snider?

And just an FYI, Mike RIchards is not Mel Bridgeman, he could be, but he is not. Talk about immature behavior, talk about the Flyers as fans...???? The team and organization stands for the crest on the front and NOT the name on the back. It stands for guys like Paul Holmgren who earned their paycheck every night. It stands for teams who even when they lost held themselves proudly by working hard every night and leading by example. And lastly it stands for character. The character to lead by example on the ice and as leaders be leaders when it counts.

Sorry, you may buy what you are being sold, but I can take an honest analysis of the teams play over the last couple years and see this team progress and regress at certain time. Last season was an accomplishment, but now they have everything they need to win now, it is up to the players to show they care enough to win at any cost. It is about winning the Cup, and if your expectations are anything less I do not know what to tell you.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
  #86
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
He said they played well enough to win, but there were areas which the Flyers failed to capitalize on, most specifically going to the net and converting on the chances, epsecially on tips and screens.

If you read Meltzer enough you will see his ability to criticize the players, even the stars, without being less of a fan. That is the point.
I like Meltzer. You could learn a thing or two from the way he analyzes the Flyers.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
  #87
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If you are not going to hold the guys who are leaders on the ice and in the dressing room accountable then who do you hold accountable? Old Man Snider?

And just an FYI, Mike RIchards is not Mel Bridgeman, he could be, but he is not. Talk about immature behavior, talk about the Flyers as fans...???? The team and organization stands for the crest on the front and NOT the name on the back. It stands for guys like Paul Holmgren who earned their paycheck every night. It stands for teams who even when they lost held themselves proudly by working hard every night and leading by example. And lastly it stands for character. The character to lead by example on the ice and as leaders be leaders when it counts.

Sorry, you may buy what you are being sold, but I can take an honest analysis of the teams play over the last couple years and see this team progress and regress at certain time. Last season was an accomplishment, but now they have everything they need to win now, it is up to the players to show they care enough to win at any cost. It is about winning the Cup, and if your expectations are anything less I do not know what to tell you.
So in your honest opinion, Richards was horrible last night? If so, why. Tell me what you thought of his game. Thanks.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:16 PM
  #88
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,541
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If you are not going to hold the guys who are leaders on the ice and in the dressing room accountable then who do you hold accountable? Old Man Snider?

And just an FYI, Mike RIchards is not Mel Bridgeman, he could be, but he is not. Talk about immature behavior, talk about the Flyers as fans...???? The team and organization stands for the crest on the front and the name on the back. It stands for guys like Paul Holmgren who earned their paycheck every night. It stands for teams who even when they lost held themselves proudly by working hard every night and leading by example. And lastly it stands for character. The character to lead by example on the ice and as leaders be leaders when it counts.

Sorry, you may buy what you are being sold, but I can take an honest analysis of the teams play over the last couple years and see this team progress and regress at certain time. Last season was an accomplishment, but now they have everything they need to win now, it is up to the players to show they care enough to win at any cost. It is about winning the Cup, and if your expectations are anything less I do not know what to tell you.
I guarantee I want a cup as bad as anyone, but you have written everything off already. What if we win this year, will you enjoy it when you spend all your time on her hating on 2 guys ??? Your inability to not appreciate anything they do this year is sickening. People are pissed about losing last night, try and take positives out of it like JVR playing real strong, and you turn it around on Carter. Sometimes you should just shut the **** up ! And I Know it is the internet, say what you want, but if you are as big as a fan as you say, you would of really appreciated this place before guys like you you ruined it.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:22 PM
  #89
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The team and organization stands for the crest on the front and NOT the name on the back. It stands for teams who even when they lost held themselves proudly by working hard every night and leading by example. And lastly it stands for character. The character to lead by example on the ice and as leaders be leaders when it counts.
I agree with this, and it's one of the biggest reasons I'm a Flyers fan.

Quote:
It stands for guys like Paul Holmgren who earned their paycheck every night.
Homer, really? He did work his ass off, but that's it.

If today's Flyers were built with a bunch of Holmgrens on it, we'd be looking forward to the draft and which top 5 prospect would be joining the Flyers.

I love watching a hardworking team who leaves it all on the ice every night. I agree that we don't see the 1970's mentality, but that applies to every team in the league, not just the Flyers. Why that is, I don't know. I suspect that money has a lot to do with it.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:26 PM
  #90
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
If today's Flyers were built with a bunch of Holmgrens on it, we'd be looking forward to the draft and which top 5 prospect would be joining the Flyers.
Well at least we would have our picks since Holmgren wouldn't be GM...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
  #91
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I like Meltzer. You could learn a thing or two from the way he analyzes the Flyers.
Actually, if you read what I have written you will see that a lot of the sentiments are the same, I am just more like Howard Eskin how I take on the discussion.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
  #92
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
So in your honest opinion, Richards was horrible last night? If so, why. Tell me what you thought of his game. Thanks.
I thought Richards played well, I like that Laviolette is going to use him in a shutdown line to be responsible in the tough matchups. I do want to see a guy who is still more physical and playing a simpler, smarter game, and leading to get this team on track. This team goes as their captain goes and the example he shows on the ice. I want him finishing his checks, stirring the pot, getting under peoples skin, and leading the PP back to the efficient PP we have seen in the past.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
  #93
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Actually, if you read what I have written you will see that a lot of the sentiments are the same, I am just more like Howard Eskin how I take on the discussion.
Meltzer focuses more on analysis and provides his opinions how the team needs to play to be successful. He calls out individuals while recognizing the positives they bring to the Flyers.

You focus on criticism and spout cliches like 'your best players need to be your best players'. You call out individuals while ignoring all positives they bring to the Flyers.

I haven't found your analysis like Meltzer's in any way.

Edit: Your post above mine actually complimented Richards in some areas. What a pleasant surprise.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
  #94
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,269
vCash: 156
So you don't think Richards was playing physically last night?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
  #95
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Jimmy J's analysis

How bout Jackson's Five?...pretty good and he tagged the Lavy line as well..


Quote:
Flyersí head coach Peter Laviolette nailed it when he stated come playoff time, itís about results and not the process. And while there are no moral victories in the postseason, there are some building blocks to success Ė answers to problems that can be discovered when perusing the aftermath of an early series setback.

Itís about improvements and adjustments. If the Flyers can successfully make them, they can quite easily win this series despite their loss in Game 1 Thursday.

Here are some areas of improvement stemming from observations made during the series opener.

http://www.csnphilly.com/04/15/11/bJ...427&feedID=695

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
  #96
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I guarantee I want a cup as bad as anyone, but you have written everything off already. What if we win this year, will you enjoy it when you spend all your time on her hating on 2 guys ??? Your inability to not appreciate anything they do this year is sickening. People are pissed about losing last night, try and take positives out of it like JVR playing real strong, and you turn it around on Carter. Sometimes you should just shut the **** up ! And I Know it is the internet, say what you want, but if you are as big as a fan as you say, you would of really appreciated this place before guys like you you ruined it.
No, you miss the point. For them to be a Cup contender they are going to have to continue to improve, be more aggressive. Last year they made their mark by dictating the play, they need to get back to that. Focus on the defense first and create the offense by going north and grinding the defense down. Carter NEEDS to contribute for this team to be successful, as does Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, and Leino. But when Carter carries a large portion of the goal scoring during the regular season the expecation is he will also be as productive in the post season.

Didn't know offering a varying point of view was considered such a threat to your kind. I'll take notes.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:33 PM
  #97
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Meltzer focuses more on analysis and provides his opinions how the team needs to play to be successful. He calls out individuals while recognizing the positives they bring to the Flyers.

You focus on criticism and spout cliches like 'your best players need to be your best players'. You call out individuals while ignoring all positives they bring to the Flyers.

I haven't found your analysis like Meltzer's in any way.

Edit: Your post above mine actually complimented Richards in some areas. What a pleasant surprise.
It is about results, when others are bowing to the dynamic duo someone has to keep it real around here, otherwise it is all about how great they are when sometimes the bar needs to be raised.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:35 PM
  #98
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,269
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
It is about results, when others are bowing to the dynamic duo someone has to keep it real around here, otherwise it is all about how great they are when sometimes the bar needs to be raised.
Again...before you were here, Carter was the forum whipping boy. The attitude you claim to be fighting here was created by you.

As for Richards, you are so far off base I just assume you're trolling. Hell, it seems like you've insinuated that he wasn't playing physical last night. Either you weren't paying attention or your definition of physical is "killed a man."

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
  #99
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So you don't think Richards was playing physically last night?
Personally I thought he did...just doesn't seem to have that extra gear that he had last year thus far. Hopefully he does. Again that is the point some are making (not counting the perceptions of trolling). The thing that separates Richards from the common checking forward is his exceptional two way play..where he neutralizes and capitalizes. Last year he was fun to watch..scoring shorties, ESG's, PPG's and putting on massive hits on other players.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:48 PM
  #100
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Again...before you were here, Carter was the forum whipping boy. The attitude you claim to be fighting here was created by you.

As for Richards, you are so far off base I just assume you're trolling. Hell, it seems like you've insinuated that he wasn't playing physical last night. Either you weren't paying attention or your definition of physical is "killed a man."
He's totally trolling. I think it's hilarious because he's turned a lot of people who didn't care much about Carter into fans of his after they scrutinized his play due to Cartsie's insults about him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.