HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Vanek shoulders blame for missed chances"

Old
03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Ghills23

vCash: 500
He's getting his chances he just hasn't finished. I haven't seen any lackadaisical play from him. Just missed opportunities. I think he'll get back on track.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:42 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i really feel that these last 10 games are a defining moment in Vanek's career.
First of all put me in the "captain material" camp as it relates to Vanek's comments about yesterday's game. But anyways I really don't like this whole "defining career moment" business. What if Vanek plays well and scores, but they still miss the playoffs? What if he plays well but remains snakebitten? What if he plays poorly but they still make the playoffs? What if regardless of what happens this year - next year or the year after that contain an even more important set of games?

I just don't see how you can make such a prediction. Unless you're just making stuff up for the heck'uv it.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
First of all put me in the "captain material" camp as it relates to Vanek's comments about yesterday's game. But anyways I really don't like this whole "defining career moment" business. What if Vanek plays well and scores, but they still miss the playoffs? What if he plays well but remains snakebitten? What if he plays poorly but they still make the playoffs? What if regardless of what happens this year - next year or the year after that contain an even more important set of games?

I just don't see how you can make such a prediction. Unless you're just making stuff up for the heck'uv it.
I think he meant it as more of an opportunity for Vanek to really take the reigns both on and off the ice. Sure, he could play well and we could still miss the playoffs, but I like to think that the majority of fans would be able to notice that he upped his game when it counted.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Sabretip

I have the feeling that Vanek will have one of those breakout games like he ended last season in Ottawa with, and then everything will start clicking for him.....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

I really like the talk. Shows he knows people are looking to him to lead. Now can he follow it up with action.

Please let's the proverbial flood gates open soon please.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
As the guy who called him a "headcase" in the GDT, I feel that he doesn't have nearly enough self-confidence. He's by far good enough to put those away. He's taking blame for poor luck and ridiculous saves, which is both mature and unnecessary. He's not a Kovalev, but I'm afraid he might be a Zack Greinke sort of player (though in a different sport of course :v).

E: Vanek is my favorite Sabre player ever. Take that for what you will.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Husko

Quote:
Timely bump.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
joshjull

Quote:
The playoffs will define him as it does with any top player.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The playoffs will define him as it does with any top player.
were you attempting to miss the point just to have an argument?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
were you attempting to miss the point just to have an argument?

Any top player is measured to a large degree by their play in the playoffs.

There really isn't anything to argue about. Thats reality.

You feel that the games you've referenced show he gets it now and that he is emerging as a more mature player, leader and possibly captain material. I happen to agree with you.

But at the end of the day if it doesn't carry over into the playoffs. What exactly did he define himself as?

The playoffs are the proving grounds for the idea that Vanek has matured as a player and is potentially captain material or at the very least has taken his game to the next level.

I haven't given up hope that will happen with this post (not at all). I'm pointing out that whatever we feel happened to him in that time frame is pretty much washed away if he doesn't carry it over into the playoffs.

To put it another way

If he plays in the playoffs like he did down the stretch. Then we can look back and say that was the defining moment when he put it all together.

If he can't put it together in the playoffs. Then we will be talking about how he couldn't elevate his level of play in the playoffs.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-15-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Any top player is measured to a large degree by their play in the playoffs.

There really isn't anything to argue about. Thats reality.

You feel that the games you've referenced show he gets it now and that he is emerging as a more mature player, leader and possibly captain material. I happen to agree with you.

But at the end of the day if it doesn't carry over into the playoffs. What exactly did he define himself as?

The playoffs are the proving grounds for the idea that Vanek has matured as a player and is potentially captain material or at the very least has taken his game to the next level.

I haven't given up hope that will happen with this post (not at all). I'm pointing out that whatever we feel happened to him in that time frame is pretty much washed away if he doesn't carry it over into the playoffs.

To put it another way

If he plays in the playoffs like he did down the stretch. Then we can look back and say that was the defining moment when he put it all together.

If he can't put it together in the playoffs. Then we will be talking about how he couldn't elevate his level of play in the playoffs.
i was talking about a "moment" in his career. He gets it, or he doesn't. I dont see what your reference to the playoffs has to do with that. I was walking about a key player, at a key time of the year. Vanek was in a position where he was emerging as a leader, when the roster was hampered with injuries, and the team was just outside a playoff spot with 10 to play. I ABSOLUTELY consider that a critical moment in his career. He was in a position he'd never been in before.

if you want to measure a player by his playoff performance, that's a completely different conversation

for example: was Miller's Vezina season NOT a defining moment in his career? It was the first time he "carried" the post co caps Sabres team. and that has nothing to do with the playoffs.

Old
04-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Husko

Last ten games he showed he gets it. Important moment in his career, yep.

Playoffs are a chance for him to take it another step. If he a playoff producer or not? Now's his chance to define what kind of top-flight player he is.

Sheesh, I swear sometimes you two just pretend to disagree with each other so you can banter.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
You two will fight about anything, won't you?

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Last ten games he showed he gets it. Important moment in his career, yep.

Playoffs are a chance for him to take it another step. If he a playoff producer or not? Now's his chance to define what kind of top-flight player he is.

Sheesh, I swear sometimes you two just pretend to disagree with each other so you can banter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
You two will fight about anything, won't you?
that's exactly what i thought his post was. an immediate reaction to disagree in any way possible, without actually thinking...

Old
04-15-2011, 08:06 PM
joshjull

I'm not a thread topic