Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
should we be worried about him being held pointless in one game? Because i don't feel particularly worried...
No doubt... one game.. big deal. Everyone goes pointless in games from time to time.

Old
04-15-2011, 02:12 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

vCash: 500
Quote:
should we be worried about him being held pointless in one game? Because i don't feel particularly worried...
thats two games in a row..

Old
04-15-2011, 04:53 AM
Oan

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...eella-nilkalla

Finnish article. Well, got an explanation for Mikko Lehtonens tame performance in playoffs, apparently he played the whole playoffs with a broken ankle. He says that if it had happened during regular season, he would had sit out for a month.

Old
04-15-2011, 06:11 AM
The Blue Llama

srry if this is already posted...

Assuming that Granlund makes the jump next year and plays in NA, what are his expectations? Lets say for the NHL and the AHL. Would putting up 20-30 points be a success in the NHL or is 40-50 the bar? Down in the A is he expected to tear it up or acclimate to pace, physicality, travel while taking a hit to his point production? So pretty much what would be a good, bad, outstanding first season in NA for MG?

Old
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrnke View Post
Assuming that Granlund makes the jump next year and plays in NA, what are his expectations? Lets say for the NHL and the AHL. Would putting up 20-30 points be a success in the NHL or is 40-50 the bar? Down in the A is he expected to tear it up or acclimate to pace, physicality, travel while taking a hit to his point production? So pretty much what would be a good, bad, outstanding first season in NA for MG?
IMO a 20-30 point season in the NHL would be a disaster. Granlund is a top 6 guy and if he plays in the NHL next year it better be on the top 2 lines. If he were to play a full year and only put up 20-30 points it would be pretty clear that he wasnt ready.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If he comes over, it will be as a winger for Koivu's line or a center for Havlat's line. Either way, if he doesn't hit 45-50 points, it would be a disappointment. If he's not ready for it, he'd either go to the AHL or back to Finland.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Jbcraig1883

If his team wins the league and he leads the playoffs in scoring, how would he benefit from another year over seas? The only factor I could see is not to start his UFA clock yet...but since Yeo and his staff have had such a good year, I'd like to see him come over and play in the AHL.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:56 AM
nickschultzfan

Isn't Granlund going to have to do his year of military service at some point? Or did he already do it?

Given that he just recovered from a concussion, it would makes sense that he would stay another year in Finland, do his military service, and learn to dominate consistently.

He's put up some good numbers this year, but a good portion of his numbers were in a few games. It could be helpful if he has another year to learn to get a point in every game - which honestly he should be doing if he's really going to be a PPG player in the NHL.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
J22

Anybody know if the Wild plan on signing Kyle Medvec? I am guessing not, unless they already did and i missed it?

Old
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
If his team wins the league and he leads the playoffs in scoring, how would he benefit from another year over seas? The only factor I could see is not to start his UFA clock yet...but since Yeo and his staff have had such a good year, I'd like to see him come over and play in the AHL.
Playing a full season in Finland could really help prepare for the grind of an 82-game season. It's taken him the past two regular seasons to total that many games played. I'd like to see him stay with HIFK, increase his offensive output, and stay healthy doing it. That could do wonders in having him ready when he comes over. And like you mention, it keeps that UFA clock stopped too.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Playing a full season in Finland could really help prepare for the grind of an 82-game season. It's taken him the past two regular seasons to total that many games played. I'd like to see him stay with HIFK, increase his offensive output, and stay healthy doing it. That could do wonders in having him ready when he comes over. And like you mention, it keeps that UFA clock stopped too.
I think it's important to get him over here and see how he looks in camp and then go from there. I'd like to see him the AHL though so he could start to prepare for the grinds of an NHL season and getting acclimated to the US.

However, there is a really valid point in him going back to Finland and dominating the FEL and playing a whole year as you said. I think the key is getting him over here for rookie camp and see how he looks in training camp. I'd like to see him in the AHL though.

Old
04-15-2011, 01:53 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i keep getting confused about the euro leagues and our camps...don't they start before our camps begin? how would that effect a contract--would we have to pay him and would it count against his RFA years if he signed a contract here to play camp and ended up in Finland? What would his Finnish club say?

Old
04-15-2011, 02:02 PM
J22

Honest question for anybody smarter than I. Can the Wild sign Granlund this summer, bring him over for training camp, the Traverse tourny, pre-season games, and still send him back to Finland? What about the 9 game "tryout" rule that they have for CHL guys?

Old
04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I think I'd prefer another year in Finland for the boy over a year in Houston; that way, it does give the Wild another, likely more valuable year of his services, and by coming straight into the Wild in 12, he'd have Koivu and Backstrom to help ease him into being in North America. There's still room for him to grow and improve over there.

Old
04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Anybody know if the Wild plan on signing Kyle Medvec? I am guessing not, unless they already did and i missed it?
Well considering Fletcher's been successful signing the free agent college seniors he's wanted the past 2 seasons, one would think he'd have more interest in other d-men(Genoway being already signed). There is always a chance though, with Medvec's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Playing in Finland doesn't really help him prepare for the grind of an 82 game season. Its a small country with a lighter schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Honest question for anybody smarter than I. Can the Wild sign Granlund this summer, bring him over for training camp, the Traverse tourny, pre-season games, and still send him back to Finland? What about the 9 game "tryout" rule that they have for CHL guys?
Not sure of the exact rules, can't find it in the CBA. I do believe that if Granlund doesn't make the team out of camp and refuses to report to Houston(meaning we do not "loan" him to HIFK), the year in Finland would not count against his contract. However, if we do sign him, its with the intent to play in North America. It is better for him, the only problem of course is a year in Houston is starting the UFA clock, which also eliminates one of his ELC years, which give great value for a top-6 guy for ~1M.

We can bring him over for the Tourney/preseason games without a contract, but the FNL season starts earlier than ours. We could send him to the CHL next season after a 9 game try-out if he was willing to, as he is eligible. But don't see a reason why he'd be willing to play in the CHL after playing 2 years of pro hockey in Finland.

Old
04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
i keep getting confused about the euro leagues and our camps...don't they start before our camps begin? how would that effect a contract--would we have to pay him and would it count against his RFA years if he signed a contract here to play camp and ended up in Finland? What would his Finnish club say?
The Wild would have to sign Granlund to an entry-level contract before he can come to camp. There's a certain date they have to do that by (believe it is July 15); otherwise Minnesota can just keep his rights and he would just spend another year in Finland.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-15-2011, 08:12 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Playing in Finland doesn't really help him prepare for the grind of an 82 game season. Its a small country with a lighter schedule.
The point is that a full SM-Liiga season is better than the approx. 66% Granlund's been running at. Going from 40ish games to 76-82 games is a large jump. The roughly 40-60-80 game progression with one full Finnish season is smoother.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Hagged

If Granlund isn't a point per game player when he comes over to the NHL he shoud have had more years in Finland.. The sad part is we won't see wich is better for him until it's too late. But I guess it's a 50 % propability that Granlund gets more than 50 points in the NHL next year. 10% chance that he hits over 80 points.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

that's pretty optimistic. His placement in the lines would factor hugely into that too. I'd be thrilled if he got 50 pts and I'd buy an "I <3 Spurgeon" t shirt if he gets 80.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Hagged

Granlund doesn't actually need that much line mates as many other centers. He is somewhat like Crosby in the sense of making linemates better. I would be quite disappointed if he wouldn't make at least 50 points in his first stint in NHL. Very disappointed. Even if it's next year.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
The Wild would have to sign Granlund to an entry-level contract before he can come to camp. There's a certain date they have to do that by (believe it is July 15); otherwise Minnesota can just keep his rights and he would just spend another year in Finland.
Is that a "Euro" rule? Because i know NCAA kids have been in camp without a contract before.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

If Granlund plays for the WILD next season, and goes G 10-A 25=35 I would consider it just great for rookie season.

If people are expecting a PPG pace or even 50 points from Granlund in his rookie season, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Just for example here is list of this year's top players and the # of seasons it took to reach 50+ points in a season.

D. Sedin 4th season
M. St Louid 5th
C. Perry 3rd
H. Sedin 4th season
Stamkos 2nd

Old
04-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
If Granlund plays for the WILD next season, and goes G 10-A 25=35 I would consider it just great for rookie season.

If people are expecting a PPG pace or even 50 points from Granlund in his rookie season, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Just for example here is list of this year's top players and the # of seasons it took to reach 50+ points in a season.

D. Sedin 4th season
M. St Louid 5th
C. Perry 3rd
H. Sedin 4th season
Stamkos 2nd
I agree - you could add Koivu to that list, 2nd year, but as a 23-24 year old.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Up7Yours

HIFK leads the final series 2-0, with the 3rd game underway.

Currently at 2-0, Granlund with an assist.
http://www.sm-liiga.fi/ottelut/raportti/36971.html

Old
04-16-2011, 11:03 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

little known prospect Colton Jobke is looking at a suspension for boarding a player recently in the WHL Playoffs.

I believe that would be his second suspension of the year.

Closed Thread