HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Someone call 911! Price just robbed game 1.

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Did they act and play like the usual Bruins to you?
What is the ''usual'' Bruins game exactly? Is it the 2 out of 6 games (now 7) they play versus us this year? Have you seen the Bruins play versus other teams?
And why is it that, during those two games we lost, it's the Bruins that played their game as opposed to us not playing ours?
I mean, can you explain why a team would not play their style 5 times out of 7, one being in the POs nonetheless (the first game back since absolutely choking might I add...)?!?
The Bruins played exactly like they always play yesterday. The 2 games where they went on a crazy bully fest is NOT the real Bruins. If you believe that's the real Bruins than you haven't seen them play other teams. They love to fight, and that's about it. They're not overly physical sitting 21st in the checking department (we're 26th), and they're disciplined being the 6th least penalized team for minor penalties.
They have a great scoring ratio, that's their strength, only Vancouver had a better goals for vs against ratio.
The idea that the Bruins go on rampages every night is simply wrong. They rarely do that.

And the reason why they probably won't do that in the POs is because they don't want to risk taking stupid penalties.
Could they have played better? Sure. Does this mean they would have won? No. Could we have played better? Absolutely.

If they want to skate around, take stupid penalties, and play overly physical, then good for them, but I doubt they will win doing that in the POs.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. If you believe the Bruins simply didn't show up, then go right ahead. I think it's pretty ridiculous to believe so, if that makes me a homer in your eyes, then I'm glad to be one.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Listen, when we lost 8-6, they did not need to wait for Habs retaliation, they clearly assaulted our players.

If the Bruins' players did not hit it's because get this: They didn't hit! It has nothing to do with the Habs. Habs had an easy Martin-style game. We were surprised when watching the game last night how flat the Bruins came out one on their first shift. We thought they were going to do a big forecheck, hitting the Habs' D and but nothing like that happened. Even the Bruins fans in the stands were reading to cheer for Bruins hits and it never came out.

And to me it's because of Julien. He told them to play a disciplined game and it sucked the life from his squad. Instead using a strong tempo and hitting everything that moved. And USE that intimidation.
If they get too heavy on the intimidation they will put us on the PP alot, and with the way that Subby+Wiz are clicking at the point and Gomez starting to find his groove... I don't think that's something you really want to risk too heavily.

Should the Bruins be playing a little more physical? Yeah by rights they should, but they won't get away with much if yesterday's reffing was any indication. The fact the Bruins took liberties with us at times this season and the Habs made such a stink about the Pacioretty incident seems to have the NHL on the ball with this series, which ultimately as long as we play our game and resist taking too many penalties is going to COMPLETELY benefit us.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
SB164

I know who I'm voting for

Old
04-15-2011, 08:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

Yeah, pretty sure they all pull stunts like this for the knee-jerk reaction vote.

I'd rather vote H10H into power, atleast he's honest and doesn't bend us over with taxes.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What is the ''usual'' Bruins game exactly? Is it the 2 out of 6 games (now 7) they play versus us this year? Have you seen the Bruins play versus other teams?
And why is it that, during those two games we lost, it's the Bruins that played their game as opposed to us not playing ours?
I mean, can you explain why a team would not play their style 5 times out of 7, one being in the POs nonetheless (the first game back since absolutely choking might I add...)?!?
The Bruins played exactly like they always play yesterday. The 2 games where they went on a crazy bully fest is NOT the real Bruins. If you believe that's the real Bruins than you haven't seen them play other teams. They love to fight, and that's about it. They're not overly physical sitting 21st in the checking department (we're 26th), and they're disciplined being the 6th least penalized team for minor penalties.
They have a great scoring ratio, that's their strength, only Vancouver had a better goals for vs against ratio.
The idea that the Bruins go on rampages every night is simply wrong. They rarely do that.

And the reason why they probably won't do that in the POs is because they don't want to risk taking stupid penalties.
Could they have played better? Sure. Does this mean they would have won? No. Could we have played better? Absolutely.

If they want to skate around, take stupid penalties, and play overly physical, then good for them, but I doubt they will win doing that in the POs.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. If you believe the Bruins simply didn't show up, then go right ahead. I think it's pretty ridiculous to believe so, if that makes me a homer in your eyes, then I'm glad to be one.
Let me say this I haven't watched the Bruins more than 15 games maybe, but when they play a safe Julien system they are barely better than the Habs and the difference between the teams' points this year between the two teams shows that. But when they play with edge and agressivity, that's when they can be dangerous.

That's the big advantage they have over the Habs. If they don't use that card, the Habs can defeat them easily. And last game they did not use that intimidation. In fact in all the years i've watched the Bruins against the Habs in the playoffs, i've never seen them came out so flat on the first shift. Even in the early 90s when they were less gritty, it was wave of wave of forechecking assault on the Habs' D and you knew when you were going to the Garden you would have a rough night(if not with fists, at least it was gonna hurt). But last game it felt....easy.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Not everyone, just Kriss. He's always the defender of Habs management.
Actually, I've criticized management on many things before. Right off the top of my head, these come to mind..
I wanted to wait before passing judgment, but since had no problem admitting the Gomez deal was horrible.
I've criticized them for trading Latendresse and S.Kost.
I've criticized Martin for his handling of SK last year.
I've criticized Martin for mismanaging AK this year.
I've criticized how young player development system.

But obviously you didn't read all of my posts..

Quote:
Listen, when we lost 8-6, they did not need to wait for Habs retaliation, they clearly assaulted our players.
If you paid attention to that game, you would have noticed that Gomez probably had his worst game of the season. He was absolutely horrendous defensively. The defense itself was also quite brutal, and the keepers (both), were flat out bad.
This was not a good representation of a typical Bruins game. But if that's what you think the true style of Bruins is, then I'm not surprised you think they didn't show up yesterday.
If we had good defense that game with the Bruins playing the same way, we probably would have won it.

Quote:
If the Bruins' players did not hit it's because get this: They didn't hit!
That's pretty funny considering they finished with 29hits, that's 8 more than their average during the year.

As I said Kimota, you simply don't know the Bruins. What you saw yesterday IS the real Bruins.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:45 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Yeah, pretty sure they all pull stunts like this for the knee-jerk reaction vote.

I'd rather vote H10H into power, atleast he's honest and doesn't bend us over with taxes.
Or you know, maybe he was actually born and raised in Montreal.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
RushDP

Quote:

If the Bruins' players did not hit it's because get this: They didn't hit! It has nothing to do with the Habs. Habs had an easy Martin-style game. We were surprised when watching the game last night how flat the Bruins came out one on their first shift. We thought they were going to do a big forecheck, hitting the Habs' D and but nothing like that happened. Even the Bruins fans in the stands were reading to cheer for Bruins hits and it never came out.

And to me it's because of Julien. He told them to play a disciplined game and it sucked the life from his squad. Instead using a strong tempo and hitting everything that moved. And USE that intimidation.
This is the most ridiculous post of this thread. Basically the Habs didn't even need to show up cuz the B's forfeited the game.

Worse still, it was all because Julien sucks the life out of his team. Nice logical breakdown of the facts there. Very laughable.

They were contained and corralled by a team that played THEIR game and executed to perfection. That the B's didn't execute their plan is completely irrelevant. The better team won last night. Even the B's fans can see that. You make no sense.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
If they get too heavy on the intimidation they will put us on the PP alot, and with the way that Subby+Wiz are clicking at the point and Gomez starting to find his groove... I don't think that's something you really want to risk too heavily.

Should the Bruins be playing a little more physical? Yeah by rights they should, but they won't get away with much if yesterday's reffing was any indication. The fact the Bruins took liberties with us at times this season and the Habs made such a stink about the Pacioretty incident seems to have the NHL on the ball with this series, which ultimately as long as we play our game and resist taking too many penalties is going to COMPLETELY benefit us.
It may benefit us but again they didn't push the envelop enough to know what's the limit of what they can and cannot do. During the 8-6 game, it was an important game yet they did not even bother if what they were doing was wrong or nut. And Hell at the end of the night they were not even that penalized.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:49 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:

Layton was born in Montreal. Wouldn't shock me if he actually was a Habs fan. Montreal was a pretty English place before Bill 101.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

lol i would of voted for him just cuz i like the way he presents himself, how he talks, seems like a decent person, compared to ignatieff and harper who keep trying to confuse us with ********,

but this pic definately helps my vote for layton , harper is a sens fan anyway, and ignatieff doesnt know what hockey is

Old
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Actually, I've criticized management on many things before. Right off the top of my head, these come to mind..
I wanted to wait before passing judgment, but since had no problem admitting the Gomez deal was horrible.
I've criticized them for trading Latendresse and S.Kost.
I've criticized Martin for his handling of SK last year.
I've criticized Martin for mismanaging AK this year.
I've criticized how young player development system.

But obviously you didn't read all of my posts..

If you paid attention to that game, you would have noticed that Gomez probably had his worst game of the season. He was absolutely horrendous defensively. The defense itself was also quite brutal, and the keepers (both), were flat out bad.
This was not a good representation of a typical Bruins game. But if that's what you think the true style of Bruins is, then I'm not surprised you think they didn't show up yesterday.
If we had good defense that game with the Bruins playing the same way, we probably would have won it.

That's pretty funny considering they finished with 29hits, that's 8 more than their average during the year.

As I said Kimota, you simply don't know the Bruins. What you saw yesterday IS the real Bruins.
If that was the real Bruins team, then they should fire Julien.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Let me say this I haven't watched the Bruins more than 15 games maybe, but when they play a safe Julien system they are barely better than the Habs and the difference between the teams' points this year between the two teams shows that. But when they play with edge and agressivity, that's when they can be dangerous.

That's the big advantage they have over the Habs. If they don't use that card, the Habs can defeat them easily. And last game they did not use that intimidation. In fact in all the years i've watched the Bruins against the Habs in the playoffs, i've never seen them came out so flat on the first shift. Even in the early 90s when they were less gritty, it was wave of wave of forechecking assault on the Habs' D and you knew when you were going to the Garden you would have a rough night(if not with fists, at least it was gonna hurt). But last game it felt....easy.
You're simply wrong. Maybe it's because you expected some big things out of Boston, but you are wrong. It's okay, everybody can be wrong, even myself.

But intimidation will get you nowhere. Maybe you can intimidate a few players, but a team? I doubt it, especially one that has as much experience as ours.

The Flyers never intimidated us. The difference between them and the Bruins is that they know how to play a very strong system. They beat us by doing to us what we did to other teams. They kept us on the outside, and covered the front of the net.
The Bruins don't do that because their D is slow.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I'm surprised he wasn't fired after the last spring collapse.
Up 3-0, in the series, and then 3-0 in the last game, and somehow manage to lose? Why in God's name would you ever keep a coach that choked? Even if you can't possibly blame him all for it, you don't want your team going into next year's PO with the same coach. At least with a new coach, a new system, they would have a sense of things being different.
To make matters worse for Julien, Chiarelli said anything short of the ECF would be a disappointment. So you just gave your team added pressure, after pulling the biggest choke job since 75. Great job.
In any event, I expect Julien to be fired after this season because I don't see the Bruins passing us

Old
04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Give it another week or so.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:05 PM
SB164

Anybody else think Pleks is extra motivated in this series since he's playing against fellow countrymen David "Cryjci", Tomas Kaberle and the Slovakian Chara?

Old
04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
You're simply wrong. Maybe it's because you expected some big things out of Boston, but you are wrong. It's okay, everybody can be wrong, even myself.

But intimidation will get you nowhere. Maybe you can intimidate a few players, but a team? I doubt it, especially one that has as much experience as ours.

The Flyers never intimidated us. The difference between them and the Bruins is that they know how to play a very strong system. They beat us by doing to us what we did to other teams. They kept us on the outside, and covered the front of the net.
(I fully agree with you)

Boston relies way too much on Chara (and Bergeron) for the defensive part of the team. Chara is playing way too many mins during the regular season.
Ference and McQuaid sucks. And badly. This is exposing the rest of the core etc...

Spacek is miles ahead better than them, and we have him on the 3rd pair, thats a luxury...

Old
04-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Wrong about what? That Boston did not play a tough game? You just said it yourself that it's not their usual game. I'm saying that makes them the less physical Bruins team i've ever seen.

Quote:

Deffinitly disagree there. Bruins have not being penalised all year because they've stuck to Julien's system. So they know how stick to a system. Hell I think they just have the wrong system.

As for having a slow D, have you seen the Habs play the Flyers last year? Flyers had a good D squad but these guys were big and slow. Yet the Habs could not do anything to them. More importantly though was the Flyers' game plan in having a strong forecheck on our D. They were so intimidating in that departement that PK was hearing steps behind him all night making mistakes. When the Habs are hit, especially our D, they can't handle it because they're not physical enough.

I've seen that time and time again Hell even going back to Vigneault and Therrien that when you use a trapping system against the Habs you can beat them but if you want to dominate them, you use a strong up tempo forechecking style and you can have it easy. Because we haven't been physical in 15 years. I'm always coming up with the Los Angeles Kings example because how the difference was so clear: Mark Crawford some say average coach but the thing is he always was an offensive-mind guy with a strong forechecking style. When the Habs went to LA a few years ago under Crawford, they were so dominated in a match, it was almost embarassing. That two-men forechecking style kept the Habs in their zone all night. Now take the same team but coached by defensive-mind Terry Murray, when they came to Montreal the last time and it was an easy win for the Habs.

Quote:
I'm surprised he wasn't fired after the last spring collapse.
Up 3-0, in the series, and then 3-0 in the last game, and somehow manage to lose? Why in God's name would you ever keep a coach that choked? Even if you can't possibly blame him all for it, you don't want your team going into next year's PO with the same coach. At least with a new coach, a new system, they would have a sense of things being different.
To make matters worse for Julien, Chiarelli said anything short of the ECF would be a disappointment. So you just gave your team added pressure, after pulling the biggest choke job since 75. Great job.
In any event, I expect Julien to be fired after this season because I don't see the Bruins passing us
I think the guy is using the wrong type of system for the guys he has.

But to imagine the Bruins would go very far I wonder if the experts don't overrate them. They don't have a Top forward/a top star/a game changer type. Their D and Thomas are suspect.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
I think the guy is using the wrong type of system for the guys he has.

But to imagine the Bruins would go very far I wonder if the experts don't overrate them. They don't have a Top forward/a top star/a game changer type. Their D and Thomas are suspect.
If he is using the wrong type of system, if they dont have a game-changer, and if they have a suspect defense and goalie, i believe that means he's overachieving...quite contradictory, in fact, no ?

Old
04-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Lmao at all this business of calling everyone homers.

On the right side, Kriss E gives credit to the Habs for winning.
On the other side, Kimota declares that Montreal did not win, Boston just happened to lose.

ready,set,go.
It's somehwere in the middle. The Habs played a great road game and Price was great. That being said, the Bruins did nothing to help themselves and wasted a couple of empty net chances and help to beat themselves.

Analysis aside, it was a great game to watch and nothing would give me more pleasure than to watch us sweep this series. This one more than any other in recent memory is personal and I hope we wipe the floor with these guys.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Haha, I don't know if I should take this as a compliment or not.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:34 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Or you know, maybe he was actually born and raised in Montreal.
Because that MUST make you a Habs fan right? I wonder what happened to some of the people I know that cheer for other teams (or just don't follow hockey, PERIOD) , maybe they forged Montreal on their birth certificates..

I don't trust a single word or action out of any politician's mouth, ever. NDP would tax this country straight into the hole(further than it already is), but that's neither here nor there and it has nothing to do with this discussion.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

This is why winning game one was so important. Now we're in their heads and they're wondering how they should approach things. Too hard they get penalized, too soft and they aren't playing to their strengths.

Here's hoping that this confusion spills into game 2.
Quote:
It's a fine line though, more often then not when they play us aggressively they get called on it and then we make them pay on the PP.
Quote:
We just have to stick to our game plan. The Bruins aren't an especially fast team so we need to play to our strengths.
Quote:

That's not true either. Intimidation can be a great tool if done effectively. But you need to walk a fine line and you need refs who put away their whistles.
Quote:
I think Philly pushed us around pretty well and we didn't have an answer for it. Yes, they played well and have more skilled forwards than the B's but there's no doubt they manhandled us last year. Size played a huge role in last year's debacle.
Quote:
Boston isn't a particularly fast team at all. We match up well against them but we've got to hope that the refs call the penalties. If it becomes a battle of special teams we've got the advantage.
Quote:
I don't trust a single word or action out of any politician's mouth, ever. NDP would tax this country straight into the hole(further than it already is), but that's neither here nor there and it has nothing to do with this discussion.
I'm voting for Monty Brewster.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
If he is using the wrong type of system, if they dont have a game-changer, and if they have a suspect defense and goalie, i believe that means he's overachieving...quite contradictory, in fact, no ?
Their edge and what has always been the Bruins' personality is their intimidation. If they don't use it and Julien seems to get them to play a more passive system, they might as well call them the another name with a different jersey. They may be a flawed team but when you have guys like Lucic and Chara, you play to their strength and go all the way. Like if you have guys like Plekanec and Gomez, Martin smartly use their skills to create a sound trapping/counterstrike system. I think Julien is neutering his team too much.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Forsead

Quote:

Well Jack Layton is from Montreal so there is alot of chance he grew up as a Habs fan !

I find it really funny when people doubt the Bruins as a team full of tough players that is big and play physical. When you look at it :

Lucic: Well can't say anything about this he is a prototypical Power Forward.

Horton : big strong, but was soft before going to the Bruins, has some fight and hasn't an average of one hit per game.

Bergeron : gritty, but not physical.

Krejci : soft.

Ryder : hit, but perimeter player.

Recchi : not physical, small.

Marchand : is an agitator and he is very small.

Thornton : he is big, physical and hit, fourth liner.

Campbell : not big, but gritty and physical, fourth liner.

Kelly : not big, gritty but not really physical.

Paille : good size, gritty, but not really physical or mean another fourth liner.

Peverley : not big, doesn't hit isn't physical at all.

If you look at this they aren't more physical up front than the Habs at all, just a little bit bigger. In fact, it's on the D that they are bigger and more physical. They only have three forward of more than 200 lbs and 2 plays on the same line.

Chara : big, physical.

Seidenberg : hit alot, good size, should be more mean and physical.

Boychuk : Big and physical.

Ference : well small and not very physical.

Kaberle : good size, but very soft.

McQuaid : Big, physical but lack strenght to really be effective IMO.

Also they only have 3 top 4 dmens and don't really have good depth on D they're bottom pair is average at best in the NHL.

Closed Thread