HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gilroy, McCabe, Eminger: who should sit on Sunday?

View Poll Results: Who sits?
Matt Gilroy 23 35.38%
Bryan McCabe 26 40.00%
Steve Eminger 16 24.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
  #1
I Am Classless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Falkland Islands
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Gilroy, McCabe, Eminger: who should sit on Sunday?

Defense isn't this team's biggest problem; this shouldn't be what the coaching staff spends all of its time agonizing over, but it's still a decision.

We aren't scoring goals, we aren't up to much offensively, and so I understand the initial desire to dress the two offensive defensemen. I think McCabe's been really lousy defensively, though. Worse than Gilroy. Gilroy's been muscled off the puck a few times, but McCabe's just looked bad out there. Our power play with him has been awful - how much is he really helping on that end?

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:30 PM
  #2
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues
 
DoTheBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 6,764
vCash: 500
Gilroy is our leading goal scorer you can't sit him.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:34 PM
  #3
Dantes19
Registered User
 
Dantes19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Gilroy is our leading goal scorer you can't sit him.

LOL. How horrifying is that fact?!?

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:35 PM
  #4
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Gilroy is our leading goal scorer you can't sit him.
funny guy

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:36 PM
  #5
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Based on the nature of this awful series I would say Eminger plays because of how physical it's been.

EDIT: That and the fact that Gilroy is softer than Charmin.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:37 PM
  #6
Dantes19
Registered User
 
Dantes19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Based on the nature of this awful series I would say Eminger plays because of how physical it's been.

EDIT: That and the fact that Gilroy is softer than Charmin.

I agree. It pains me to have to sacrifice Gilroy's outstanding offense but I think we need the more physical and defensively solid guy, a.k.a. Eminger

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
  #7
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I agree. It pains me to have to sacrifice Gilroy's outstanding offense but I think we need the more physical and defensively solid guy, a.k.a. Eminger
I simply don't understand what is Torts infatuation with Gilroy.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:39 PM
  #8
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Yeah just sit Gilroy and our forwards magically transform into elites.

How could Torts not see this?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:43 PM
  #9
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Everyone's going to vote Gilroy by default.

He's been fine though. He hasn't made many mistakes.

I'd keep the defensive-pairings the same for game 3. We've done a fairly good job in our blue-line. It's the other blue-line we need to focus on.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:44 PM
  #10
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Everyone's going to vote Gilroy by default.

He's been fine though. He hasn't made many mistakes.
No, he just simply got pushed around like a little child on that 1st goal.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:47 PM
  #11
TheDave1022
Registered User
 
TheDave1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Carmel, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
McCabe. What has he done? The PP looks horrible, which is why he was brought here. All he seems to do is shoot the puck into defenders. He had 6 shots blocked game 1...didnt count this game, but there were definitely a few

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:47 PM
  #12
Dantes19
Registered User
 
Dantes19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Everyone's going to vote Gilroy by default.

He's been fine though. He hasn't made many mistakes.

I'd keep the defensive-pairings the same for game 3. We've done a fairly good job in our blue-line. It's the other blue-line we need to focus on.

I think it's the lack of physicality and sometimes weak defensive positioning that would prompt most people to vote for him. And even though he's got our only goal, he's not exactly what I would call an offensive defenseman.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
  #13
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
No, he just simply got pushed around like a little child on that 1st goal.
Those plays happen 50 times a night, and generally go unnoticed. Puck touched two more sticks before it went in. You can't fault Gilroy for the goal.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:54 PM
  #14
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
like playing or sitting any of these three is really going to make a difference?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:59 PM
  #15
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I think it's the lack of physicality and sometimes weak defensive positioning that would prompt most people to vote for him. And even though he's got our only goal, he's not exactly what I would call an offensive defenseman.
I don't think Emingers going to do much more than Gilroy from a defensive standpoint. Steve will provide more oomph on the back-end, but he's more of a liability too, considering he puts himself out of position by going out of his way to check the opposition. He also takes pretty dumb boarding penalty's.

Wsh's not really pushing us around. We're not going to get rocked at the Garden.

I'd keep McCabe-Gilroy for game 3.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  #16
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Those plays happen 50 times a night, and generally go unnoticed. Puck touched two more sticks before it went in. You can't fault Gilroy for the goal.
I noticed that one because:

1) it lead to one of the two goals
2) he started the whole chain of events that lead to the goal. If he wasn't knocked off the puck then the rest of the team wouldn't be scrambling.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  #17
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
like playing or sitting any of these three is really going to make a difference?
And put in Iginla on defense right LOL

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:05 PM
  #18
Provolone*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Mccabe. He's not the difference maker on the PP to warrant a roster spot. And IMO he's worse, yes WORSE, than Gilroy in his own zone.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:06 PM
  #19
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I noticed that one because:

1) it lead to one of the two goals
2) he started the whole chain of events that lead to the goal. If he wasn't knocked off the puck then the rest of the team wouldn't be scrambling.
You didn't notice anything. Sam and Joe pointed it out during the goals replay.

The puck went in about 3 seconds after he was beat. A lot of Dmen in this league wouldn't have prevented that play.

Stop reaching.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:07 PM
  #20
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You didn't notice anything. Sam and Joe pointed it out during the goals replay.

The puck went in about 3 seconds after he was beat. A lot of Dmen in this league wouldn't have prevented that play.

Stop reaching.
Ok, if you say so...

I'm not going to start a pointless argument about a pointless player.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
  #21
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Ok, if you say so...

I'm not going to start a pointless argument about a pointless player.
Nobody's arguing. We discussing Gilroy's performance. I'm not suggesting he wasn't outmuscled there; I think a lot of dmen give up that same exact opportunity. Sometimes because of strength, other times because of speed. Or positioning. It's a routine play, imo. Quick outlet pass, followed by a perfect feed to the slot and a shot where Lundqvist has no chance.

It's along the lines of trying to blame Drury for Staal's turnover in game1. People reaching for reason's to hate, imo. Somebody's gotta be the scapegoat on these forums. Regardless of how the goal was scored.

Sometimes, it's nobody's fault. I personally think Gilroy was more responsible for the second goal (PP goal). That's a play I have a problem with. That's a play where his fundamentals vanished into thin air. Piss poor decision to move out and block a shot; the forward on the ice there (drury?) was responsible for that part of the ice, in that specific situation. Then Gilly follows it up with an even weaker attempt of blocking the puck.

Nobody's talking about that play though, which surprises me a bit.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:24 PM
  #22
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Gaborik.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:36 PM
  #23
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Gilroy needs to ****ing sit.

I can't stand that guy. Every single time he pinches in, it feels like the Caps are just going to score on transition.

He's weak. He scored our only goal in the playoffs so far..... That's bad.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
  #24
MorrisWanchuk
Registered User
 
MorrisWanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Gilroy needs to ****ing sit.

I can't stand that guy. Every single time he pinches in, it feels like the Caps are just going to score on transition.

He's weak. He scored our only goal in the playoffs so far..... That's bad.

your prejudice is making you blind.

he's been one of our best players - and that's horrible to say

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:15 PM
  #25
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
your prejudice is making you blind.

he's been one of our best players - and that's horrible to say
It doesn't seem so hard to be one of our best players these past two games.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.