HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Concussions - Long term effects/Terry Bradshaw

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2011, 09:31 PM
  #1
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Concussions - Long term effects/Terry Bradshaw

Since it seems barely a week went by in the regular season without at least a couple of guys hobbling off the ice after taking a shoulder to the head, and with the GMs making it a centerpiece of their meetings, and with new rules either in place or being considered, I figured this had some significance here.

Terry Bradshaw's concussions catching up to him.

People don't want to take hitting out of the game, at the same time, we're seeing more and more evidence of how debilitating concussions can be. I don't think this is something we can get rid of just with stiffer penalties. We need stiffer penalties for it, and we need them in all leagues. We also need to start teaching kids to not hit other players in the head, when to go for a hit, when not to, etc.

Concussions are going to happen, it's a fast, violent sport. At the same time, we should be able to foster an environment that doesn't put their long term health at such great risks.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:37 PM
  #2
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Since it seems barely a week went by in the regular season without at least a couple of guys hobbling off the ice after taking a shoulder to the head, and with the GMs making it a centerpiece of their meetings, and with new rules either in place or being considered, I figured this had some significance here.

Terry Bradshaw's concussions catching up to him.

People don't want to take hitting out of the game, at the same time, we're seeing more and more evidence of how debilitating concussions can be. I don't think this is something we can get rid of just with stiffer penalties. We need stiffer penalties for it, and we need them in all leagues. We also need to start teaching kids to not hit other players in the head, when to go for a hit, when not to, etc.

Concussions are going to happen, it's a fast, violent sport. At the same time, we should be able to foster an environment that doesn't put their long term health at such great risks.
Hitting is part of the entertainment.
If you don't want to be to get hit and risk physical injury, don't become a modern day gladiator for whatever the average NHL salary is.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:50 PM
  #3
vladdy16
Registered User
 
vladdy16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Without any further adjustment I don't think any modern athlete has to worry about being injured to the level that Bradshaw was.

vladdy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:07 AM
  #4
Yemack
Registered User
 
Yemack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,167
vCash: 500
We need a lot more development in hockey helmet technology. NHL and NHLPA should invest on it in fact.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:25 AM
  #5
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Guys looking for the puck or skating with the puck are always going to vulnerable..
I watch see that Torres got suspended for what was a text book hit on Eberle and I think that reinforces my belief that hitting is going be banned in the NHL eventually and we'll have a sport that's more like basketball, in terms of contact.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:32 AM
  #6
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
i think most players are simply not able to deliver a good clean hit. all the kids that come up hit with their elbows and usually aim for the head. shoulder on shoulder or shoulder to chest is rare.
and where have all the beautiful hip checks gone?

a hit is a way to make your opponent tired. give him bruises and pain. but these days i wonder if most think that the aim is to injure the opponent.

not the rules have to change but the way hockey is played. i want more hitting, but clean hitting.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 11:44 AM
  #7
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
The problem in the NHL is the same as in the NFL. "Protective" gear is becoming so advanced that has become a weapon. Both leagues need to invest a lot of study in finding protective gear that is soft on the outside but provides maximum protection to the athlete wearing it.

Football players have their pads and helmets, hard plastic and metal. Hockey players have their shoulder and elbow pads, also hard plastic and metal. The solution isn't to add more hard plastic and metal, it's to make softer protective gear.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
  #8
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i think most players are simply not able to deliver a good clean hit. all the kids that come up hit with their elbows and usually aim for the head. shoulder on shoulder or shoulder to chest is rare.
and where have all the beautiful hip checks gone?

a hit is a way to make your opponent tired. give him bruises and pain. but these days i wonder if most think that the aim is to injure the opponent.

not the rules have to change but the way hockey is played. i want more hitting, but clean hitting.
pfft, Euro.

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone was talking about how kids are learning to hit higher because the face cages keep the shoulders from hitting the head and injuries aren't likely. Take away the cages, though, and kids mature into men and they still hit how they learned to hit - too high.

Another problem is that the high hit has become hockey porn.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:50 AM
  #9
RaySheppard
Registered User
 
RaySheppard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Guys looking for the puck or skating with the puck are always going to vulnerable..
I watch see that Torres got suspended for what was a text book hit on Eberle and I think that reinforces my belief that hitting is going be banned in the NHL eventually and we'll have a sport that's more like basketball, in terms of contact.
Torres first game back on Sunday and he nailed Seabrook with a headshot..a bad one..Some players (Matt Cooke) are just stupid.

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:53 AM
  #10
VooX
Registered User
 
VooX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
The problem in the NHL is the same as in the NFL. "Protective" gear is becoming so advanced that has become a weapon. Both leagues need to invest a lot of study in finding protective gear that is soft on the outside but provides maximum protection to the athlete wearing it.

Football players have their pads and helmets, hard plastic and metal. Hockey players have their shoulder and elbow pads, also hard plastic and metal. The solution isn't to add more hard plastic and metal, it's to make softer protective gear.
Excellent post. I truly believe if players wore gear like Shanahan and Chelios did, there would be far fewer injuries, especially to the head.

The players may counter they need the hard pads because shots are harder. Simple solution: ban composite sticks in favour, once again, for wood sticks. Less broken sticks and fewer rocket shots with mechancical assistance.

Old football quote: Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "a".

VooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
  #11
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
I'd never use a composite stick if I were a hockey player. They break so often, I'd never be able to trust that I'd have a good stick when I got a scoring chance, or when I was the last man back on D waiting for my team to make a line change, etc.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
  #12
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooX View Post
The players may counter they need the hard pads because shots are harder.
I don't see how they could plausibly make that argument. Shoulder and elbow pads (the ones that cause injuries) don't help protect against slapshots. The two things aren't connected.


Quote:
Simple solution: ban composite sticks in favour, once again, for wood sticks. Less broken sticks and fewer rocket shots with mechancical assistance.
Harder shots aren't really a problem (in fact, they're probably a good thing, since they theoretically lead to more scoring) and, despite their propensity to break, their lighter weight is too highly valued. Very few players, if any, would support going back to wooden sticks.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:37 PM
  #13
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I don't see how they could plausibly make that argument. Shoulder and elbow pads (the ones that cause injuries) don't help protect against slapshots. The two things aren't connected.




Harder shots aren't really a problem (in fact, they're probably a good thing, since they theoretically lead to more scoring) and, despite their propensity to break, their lighter weight is too highly valued. Very few players, if any, would support going back to wooden sticks.
What about the old aluminum sticks? Getting rid of composites would probably have a bigger effect on being able to further rein in goalie gear. Whenever limiting gear size has come up, the goalies have screamed about their safety, and the lighter, "whippier" composite sticks are never far behind. Eliminate the composite sticks, and maybe we can further de-michelin man the goalies.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
  #14
NumberFive
Just a Schnook
 
NumberFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fast lane
Country: United States
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
The whole enchilada is a Catch-22. It's the same with cars. The safer you make it, the more invincible the operator feels, so the more the operator partakes in dangerous behavior. But you can't eliminate the protective gear, either.

I, for one, would hate like hell to watch hockey become a sport where all the players play in bubbles and can't touch each other without incurring a penalty, but it would appear that's where it's headed.


Last edited by NumberFive: 04-19-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: My grammar sucks...
NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
  #15
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
What about the old aluminum sticks? Getting rid of composites would probably have a bigger effect on being able to further rein in goalie gear. Whenever limiting gear size has come up, the goalies have screamed about their safety, and the lighter, "whippier" composite sticks are never far behind. Eliminate the composite sticks, and maybe we can further de-michelin man the goalies.
And watch hockey sticks go from $240 to $40?

Never happen. There's too much money in hockey sticks and equipment right now.

I remember when players started using aluminum sticks. There wasn't really any controversy around it. In baseball, they would never let it happen. In hockey, nobody seemed to care.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
  #16
HockeyinHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16 View Post
Without any further adjustment I don't think any modern athlete has to worry about being injured to the level that Bradshaw was.
Watch high school sports sometime. That's where the next big crop of unreported concussions will come from.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:44 AM
  #17
HockeyinHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
And watch hockey sticks go from $240 to $40?

Never happen. There's too much money in hockey sticks and equipment right now.
It's a conspiracy!

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:43 PM
  #18
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
And watch hockey sticks go from $240 to $40?

Never happen. There's too much money in hockey sticks and equipment right now.

I remember when players started using aluminum sticks. There wasn't really any controversy around it. In baseball, they would never let it happen. In hockey, nobody seemed to care.
MOney was one of the things that was in the back of my head when I made that post, too. The new sticks are soooo expensive, someone has to be raking in a ton of cash on that.

and I agree about how it's odd the NHL doesn't seem to regulate equipment at all. Another example is golf, where it's tightly controlled to limit the further influence of technology.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:34 AM
  #19
Yemack
Registered User
 
Yemack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
What about the old aluminum sticks? Getting rid of composites would probably have a bigger effect on being able to further rein in goalie gear. Whenever limiting gear size has come up, the goalies have screamed about their safety, and the lighter, "whippier" composite sticks are never far behind. Eliminate the composite sticks, and maybe we can further de-michelin man the goalies.
it probably has to do with money as well but IMO there is just no way players will give up carbon composite stick. Wood just doesn't hold a candle to composite stick in terms of performance.

Aluminum is basically a wood stick that shaft doesn't break.

Composite may cost more for consumers but it probably cost more to produce as well. Wood sticks are very cheap to mass produce.

I can agree with elbow pads are used as a weapon. As for shoulder pads, bigger shoulder pads do provide better protection so I wouldnt say we should crack down on it hard.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
  #20
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
What about the old aluminum sticks?
Like wood sticks, aluminum sticks are simply an inferior product and, for that reason, I don't see many players in favor of such a switch. For better or worse, composites are here to stay.

I've owned one aluminum stick in my life, when I was a kid, maybe 12 or 13. Hated it. I couldn't feel the puck on my stick most of the time, which was causing me to glance down more (which is obviously a very bad habit for a developing player). Couldn't replace that stick fast enough.


Quote:
Getting rid of composites would probably have a bigger effect on being able to further rein in goalie gear. Whenever limiting gear size has come up, the goalies have screamed about their safety, and the lighter, "whippier" composite sticks are never far behind. Eliminate the composite sticks, and maybe we can further de-michelin man the goalies.
Maybe, but the composites will never go away. Nor should they for that reason, since the goalies' argument is BS, and everyone knows it.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:11 PM
  #21
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I'd never use a composite stick if I were a hockey player. They break so often, I'd never be able to trust that I'd have a good stick when I got a scoring chance, or when I was the last man back on D waiting for my team to make a line change, etc.
It's not that they break too often, it's that they break too unexpectedly. In fact, contrary to popular belief, composites have a longer average lifespan than wood sticks. It's just that the death of a wood stick is more gradual, instead of sudden.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
  #22
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
It's not that they break too often, it's that they break too unexpectedly. In fact, contrary to popular belief, composites have a longer average lifespan than wood sticks. It's just that the death of a wood stick is more gradual, instead of sudden.
Right, but that doesn't change my point - you know your wooden stick will last you X games and then you switch it out. Your composite stick could explode at any second. I wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of uncertainty.

I'd have to have wooden sticks with dates on them so I could be sure the equipment guys could rotate fresh ones through as needed. Maybe donate the "used" ones to charity or use them in practice or something. Or cut them in half and make two sticks for Homer.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
  #23
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Right, but that doesn't change my point - you know your wooden stick will last you X games and then you switch it out. Your composite stick could explode at any second. I wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of uncertainty.
Oh I know it doesn't change your point, I was just offering a little clarification. I understand your concern, though I'll still take the composite stick every time. The difference in weight, shot performance, and even stickhandling vastly outweighs the tiny chance it will break at an inopportune time.

Also, composites don't break nearly as often in the general hockey world as they do in professional leagues, where guys are 200lbs of muscle.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.