HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would GM Messier do differently?

Old
04-16-2011, 12:31 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
What would GM Messier do differently?

I have pretty much accepted that Messier is the next GM of the Rangers. It will be Sathers final move....

So considering Marks ridiculous competitiveness, complete awareness of the pitfalls of great players becoming GM/Coach etc.

What would a Messier team look like? Would he clean house? Start from the ground up? Go Bigger? Faster?

sometimes a great player can really bring their brand of competitiveness to the management position and change the whole face of the team.... look at what Yzerman has done to the Bolts. Granted they sucked bad enough to be a lottery team in key drafts, but still. That team reeks of the FIRE in the belly of the champion

04-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
sometimes a great player can really bring their brand of competitiveness to the management position and change the whole face of the team.... look at what Yzerman has done to the Bolts. Granted they sucked bad enough to be a lottery team in key drafts, but still. That team reeks of the FIRE in the belly of the champion
Yzerman learned how to build a team with the greatest franchise in the NHL bar none.

Messier has learned from Sather. Based on Messiers past, and clear preference of vets, id say we would be worse off.

i wanted Yzerman as our GM so bad... Granted Yzerman had: Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Hedman, etc just giftwrapped to him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Yzerman learned how to build a team with the greatest franchise in the NHL bar none.

Messier has learned from Sather. Based on Messiers past, and clear preference of vets, id say we would be worse off.

i wanted Yzerman as our GM so bad... Granted Yzerman had: Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Hedman, etc just giftwrapped to him.
Right but lets not just write Messier off. They guy was never a coattails kind of player, even with Gretzky stealing the show. He is a wicked competitor. I'm sure he sees all the challenges Sather has created for himself. Its not like he is going to just do what Sather would do. WWGSD would be an unlikely philosophy for Messier to adopt imo.

I think he is learning the day to day of what it takes to run a team. How he would go about building that team is another story

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I honestly don't know how this team competes against the one time bottom feeders who now have multiple bona fide elite players. We just never suck that bad...

The Islanders are probably next, which is not going to be fun....

Detroits deep Euro scouting mojo is not easily replicated

Free Agency, or TANK..... otherwise its just getting lucky in the later rounds

Look at the roster now. These guys play hard they just dont have the elite skill upfront to get the job done. Yea Gabby is having an off year, but even when he was killin it wasnt enough.

Old
04-16-2011, 01:08 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...what would COACH/GM Messier do differently?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Messier, with his reckless competitiveness, would be Sather on crack. Even less patient, with even more bad contracts. I want no part of #11 as GM.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
I honestly don't know how this team competes against the one time bottom feeders who now have multiple bona fide elite players. We just never suck that bad...

The Islanders are probably next, which is not going to be fun....

Detroits deep Euro scouting mojo is not easily replicated

Free Agency, or TANK..... otherwise its just getting lucky in the later rounds

Look at the roster now. These guys play hard they just dont have the elite skill upfront to get the job done. Yea Gabby is having an off year, but even when he was killin it wasnt enough.
The only way to suck that bad is to accept it. Free agency prevents rebuilding, and free agency is what got us here. It's time to tank, it's been time to tank since we lost Jagr. There's no scoring in the system aside from maybe Kreider who seems quite content jerking off in college until he's 56.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:04 AM
trilobyte

The question is not only what would he want to do, but how long would it take for a change to manifest itself?

I guess this is all based on the premise that Messier would be an improvement. It would be hard to be worse, I suppose. Looking at present situation of a soft team full of overrated and probably unrealized potential, he cannot be worse than Sather.

He might go for some big tough guys with skill, gawd forbid.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Messier, with his reckless competitiveness, would be Sather on crack. Even less patient, with even more bad contracts. I want no part of #11 as GM.
Yup, personally I feel they are cut from the same cloth. GM Messier probably won't save the Rangers, hopefully the talent scouts will.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

if i remember right, Sather WAS the GM when Mess and Gretz were winning Cups in Edmonton. having sather for a gm at the time when he was most successful and smith as a gm when he got us our last cup, i would say he hasnt had the greatest tutors for gm success. im in the boat of loving #11 as a player, maybe a coach, but i dont think i want him in the front office.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've never called for Mess to be the GM of the Rangers, but...

I can't believe the presumptive nature of some of the posts. This is completely baseless.

Messier was reckless in his competitiveness? I saw it more as methodical, obsessive even. Do you see Sather the same way? Competitive?

On the contrary, Sather has NO interest in icing a truly competitive team. He merely pieces together some players who happen to be available at a convenient moment.

I think Messier would want to win, and would take his responsibility and his legacy very seriously. Hard to say how it would really turn out, and it would be a huge gamble on his part. But so it was the first time he came to Broadway.

But the assumption that he would just be Sather Part II has no basis in fact.

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 04-16-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added info
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:26 AM
pld459666

One thing I think that Mess would do is look to get bigger and a bit more physical on the 3rd line.

Not so much in the fighting department, but bigger, stronger and more physical in terms of wearing down opposing defenceman and forwards.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Reckless.

2nd all-time in scoring? Six cups? Leadership?

Old
04-16-2011, 09:39 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Kind of a moot point, but if I had a choice of anyone from the '94 team to be GM now it would be Richter. Only problem is he has political ambitions.

I think it was Messier who said Richter was the kind of guy you wanted to follow onto the ice because of his leadership qualities and work ethic and that coming from "Mr. Leader" himself. And, I believe Mike was always the 1st one on the ice.

There's no question the guy is intelligent and players like him seem to be the ones who succeed when in charge of the team either as coach or GM. The cerebral players see the game differently then the players who win with will and/or talent alone. The thing is Richter was a cerebral player and had some extrordinary talent for a smallish goaltender. In my opinion he could be the idea candidate to make best out of what is currently on the team and within the system + FA market, yet have the vision to 5 or 10 year plan and make personel decisions that will be practical for down the road as well.

Just some food for thought.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:44 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Mess was an influence over many of those horrible trades in the mid-late 90s post-Cup years that shipped out the young kids and brought in vets. He played politics and had favorites in his second tenure as well. Don't get me wrong, I love him for what he did on the ice and always will.

HOWEVER, I've heard him on Sirius talk about drafting and youth development and I'm fine with him as GM as long as Gordie, Gorton, Graves, Luchenko, and Hedberg are here to take care of the scouting and player development.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
I have pretty much accepted that Messier is the next GM of the Rangers. It will be Sathers final move....

So considering Marks ridiculous competitiveness, complete awareness of the pitfalls of great players becoming GM/Coach etc.

What would a Messier team look like? Would he clean house? Start from the ground up? Go Bigger? Faster?

This, so far, is looking like an almost identical re-hash of the "Messier as Coach/GM" thread from about a month ago. Everyone interested should read the comments posted in that one, because it covers the subject thoroughly.

In short, there's virtually no evidence at this time to suggest that Messier would be a effective GM. There's not a lot disproving the idea either (although being Sather's understudy seems dubious), but at this point he would be a complete unknown. Most of the time, the people supporting the idea of Messier as GM cite elements/attributes from his playing career as reasons why he'd be an effective GM -- even though there's really no direct correlation between being a successful player & successful executive.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Reckless.

Ha Ha! How did Phil Esposito do as a GM? How did Bob Clarke do? Zero Cups. That is how they did. Stubborn, bull headed and competitive doesn't necessarily make for a good GM. Quite the contrary.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Mess was an influence over many of those horrible trades in the mid-late 90s post-Cup years that shipped out the young kids and brought in vets. He played politics and had favorites in his second tenure as well. Don't get me wrong, I love him for what he did on the ice and always will.

HOWEVER, I've heard him on Sirius talk about drafting and youth development and I'm fine with him as GM as long as Gordie, Gorton, Graves, Luchenko, and Hedberg are here to take care of the scouting and player development.
Mess was also the influence of the trades and coaching change leading up to the winning of the Cup. He can be ruthless and Machiavellian in in his methods to get the right people on the bus.

Is that a bad thing?

ruthless is not the same as reckless.

As far as post Cup, moves were made and everyone involved needs to be accountable to that, but mostly Neil Smith and the volitility of the Keenan effected that.

I also don't buy this assumption that Mess is being schooled by Sather. Messier is his own man and would bring his own style to the table.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
ogie

Messier will come in and follow the Neil Smith GM playbook, trading away all of our assets for a chance to win that year. Then we will be relegated to 17 years of failure and rebuilding.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Reckless.

All of which have nothing to do with being able to evaluate talent or building a team.

Enough with 94. Enough with Edmonton. Enough with Messier.

04-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Messier will come in and follow the Neil Smith GM playbook, trading away all of our assets for a chance to win that year. Then we will be relegated to 17 years of failure and rebuilding.
Mind passing along some lotto numbers? Since you seem to be able to read minds/the future.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:44 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
All of which have nothing to do with evaluating talent and building a team.

For once - I vividly agree with this poster. Amen.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:47 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
All of which have nothing to do with evaluating talent and building a team.

Listen, I don't care if the next GM is some schmuck who owns a delicatessen. Time for a change in NY.

If I could, I'd get an owner who at least has some basic knowledge about the sport of hockey.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:48 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Mess was also the influence of the trades and coaching change leading up to the winning of the Cup. He can be ruthless and Machiavellian in in his methods to get the right people on the bus.

Is that a bad thing?

ruthless is not the same as reckless.

As far as post Cup, moves were made and everyone involved needs to be accountable to that, but mostly Neil Smith and the volitility of the Keenan effected that.

I also don't buy this assumption that Mess is being schooled by Sather. Messier is his own man and would bring his own style to the table.
Y'know, I'd say you were wrong if a) we weren't talking about MARK MESSIER, and b)if I was a poster who did not remember or know about Mark Messier.

These people talk of him like he was just some glorified old bag of tears lucky to be with a bunch of awesome guys....and some of us are thinking why him being an old bag of tears is 150% acceptable because those awesome guys wouldn't have won any of it if not for him and his mind.

Old
04-16-2011, 02:50 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Beats the hell out of 54! Sign me up for that!

**** those assets in favor of one single cup! ...and don't even let em get dressed before they're kicked out the door!