HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thoughts On Mike Sullivan?

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Dantes19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I'm sure that two years ago there was a similar thread titled "Thoughts on Perry Pearn?"

Same deal.

You cannot make silk out of a pig's ear.

There's surely some truth to this. There's not a lot of 'PP talent' on this team. Yet, there have been many times when the general strategy and direction of Sullivan's PP has been...perplexing. I don't think you can place blame solely on either the coach or the players; both have to perform their job.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
umm, I don't think Sullivan runs the powerplay. I remember Tortorella saying he thinks it's important for the head coach to run the powerplay.

anyways, there's a personnel problem here. I've been saying that for longer than Mike Sullivan's been here.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Rangers44*

When Sullivan joined Tortorella as an assistant in Tampa, they missed the playoffs and Tort lost his job. When Tort brought him back as an assistant in NY they also missed the playoffs. Am I missing something? They should both be canned for all I care.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:05 PM
MorrisWanchuk

torts runs the pp

mike does the D

i heard florida were interested in mike as a potential coach replacement for de boer

Old
04-15-2011, 11:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I think Green knocked it off, if I'm not mistaken. And yes, he absolutely did so on purpose.
OK, I thought the refs blew that. We should have had a pp but considering how bad we've been it probably wouldn't have changed anything.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:40 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
There's surely some truth to this. There's not a lot of 'PP talent' on this team. Yet, there have been many times when the general strategy and direction of Sullivan's PP has been...perplexing. I don't think you can place blame solely on either the coach or the players; both have to perform their job.
My thoughts are that talented players should free-lance out there. I don't subscribe to a coach 'setting up' a powerplay.
Let some talented guys freelance, make sure that somebody covers the point, and see what happens.
I don't really believe that a coach can make a powerplay work, I think it's not really in his power to make up for lack of talent and what they do, they should not be told what to do. Talent will make it work.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think assistant coaches are just that...assistants. i dont think hes as important to the team as ppl think.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

We are a solid team overall and can make playoff berths and even beat talented teams. Now adjust that with a decent Power Play. Imagine how many games we would win.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:43 PM
ThisYearsModel

The Rangers problem is Sullivan's boss's boss. End of subject.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The Rangers problem is Sullivan's boss's boss. End of subject.

But he's not going anywhere. It doesn't matter how many "Fire Sather" threads we start. The guy's gonna be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
My thoughts are that talented players should free-lance out there. I don't subscribe to a coach 'setting up' a powerplay.

I think there has to be some balance. I think there needs to be a plan of attack, a strategy, but at some point it does come down to talented players making plays. I don't think you can have 5 guys freelancing out there, though, and still have an optimally-effective PP.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Its not the coaching of the PP... infact coaching the pp is way over rated. These guys know what they are supposed to do by the time they reach the NHL. Move the puck open the lane and get it on net. Get pucks to the net.

The roster does not have the skill to get this done in a dependable fashion.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:09 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
he didnt write it but on steve zipays twitter somebody was saying the florida job is his if he wants it
lol Rick Rude kicked ass.

Florida is known for crappy PP coaching....

Old
04-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Sullivan is fine. If the power play was this bad with an all-star set of forwards, then yeah, you have a case.

Like others already mentioned they don't even know what a one-timer is, let alone finding seams and moving the puck across the ice to create space.

Zero creativity. Move everything along the boards, shoot it in to a lane full of traffic. Retrieve cleared puck, dump in and repeat.

Old
04-16-2011, 07:26 AM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Except for the fact that the myth about Perry Pearn being the problem with this team's powerplay is currently being debunked by the Montreal Canadiens' having a Perry Pearn coached power play that is top 10 in the league.

You know this fanbase is getting desperate when people start debating the merits of the assistant coach. The fact of the matter is that we know less than .05% of what Mike Sullivan actually does and what impact, if any, he actually has on this team.

The fact that there are people that honestly believe the assistant coach is the reason why our powerplay is inadequate year after year really just goes to show a complete lack of analytical and cognitive reasoning abilities.

Bring in any assistant coach you want. With this roster, the PP will still suck.
I totally agree. Sullivan is not the problem, the personnel is. Remember, Torts ran the Power play for a pretty successful Buffalo Team when he was a assistant under Lindy Ruff. Sullivan and Torts together can't get it going.
I'd watch out if I was the Rangers. They might loose Sullivan. I here that Sullivans lookalike, the Geico guy in the commercials is asking for more money.

Old
04-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Blueblood 2

Sully is fine. We need to fire all the self absorbed, adolescent, morons who frequent this board.

Old
04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

People always asking why the PP stinks.

It's simple, the team lacks skill.

Grinding players aren't going to get it done on a PP.

What makes a good PP is creativity, passing skills, shooting skills, vision...

Rangers are missing that on their roster.

Old
04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Except for the fact that the myth about Perry Pearn being the problem with this team's powerplay is currently being debunked by the Montreal Canadiens' having a Perry Pearn coached power play that is top 10 in the league.

You know this fanbase is getting desperate when people start debating the merits of the assistant coach. The fact of the matter is that we know less than .05% of what Mike Sullivan actually does and what impact, if any, he actually has on this team.

The fact that there are people that honestly believe the assistant coach is the reason why our powerplay is inadequate year after year really just goes to show a complete lack of analytical and cognitive reasoning abilities.

Bring in any assistant coach you want. With this roster, the PP will still suck.

Tru but player personal on the PP could improve. MZA is clearly the best PP guy we have yet hes barely playing in games or on the PP. Having Cally on the top line over Dubi is also a joke when u factor in Prospal in on the other wing. Cally a great player but lacks PP sense or the skill needed, Dubi is def a better option.

Old
04-16-2011, 03:54 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
But he's not going anywhere. It doesn't matter how many "Fire Sather" threads we start. The guy's gonna be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore.
Not if people stop going to the games. You will see how quickly he gets canned. After the dismal performance the last 2 seasons that would be good thing for NY fans take a few games off and the cigar idiot will be gone.

Old
04-16-2011, 03:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't like him. Never have, never will. He's one of Torts' guys, and you all know I dislike Torts.

Shouldn't have Bostonians running the team, either. Just like you don't bring in former Islanders to run the team.

It's just pain.
Old
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
We are a solid team overall and can make playoff berths and even beat talented teams. Now adjust that with a decent Power Play. Imagine how many games we would win.
We have to fight for our playoff lives every year and haven't been a playoff threat since the 90's. While I think the team has potential, in it's current form it's just not even close to being a serious contender. There's such a painfully obvious lack of talent offensively, so quite frankly I don't think the current roster is capable of icing a good power play no matter who's coaching. You have to have good offensive players to have a good power play.

Old
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Quick question. With about 10 minutes left there was a stoppage because the Caps net came off the moorings. I replayed it several times and I still think they intentionally knocked it off. Am I wrong?
No you're not Nuewirth lifted the net off with his shoulder

Old
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Shameful that this ****ing moron has a job. We are the only team in the NHL that can't set up a PP, shoot a one timer, or make a tape to tape pass. I know we win because we outwork other teams, but jesus something as got to give. I have never seen a more unique team in my life. They have to do everything differently.
Shooting a one-timer, making a tape to tape pass are not necessarily coaching issues...there is a reason this team has been a 7 or 8 seed...can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i understand the "cant polish a tird" sentiment here but cmon we've seen teams with alot less talent than the rangers at least be able to gain the blue line with control of the puck and at least set up in the zone on a consistant basis which is more thani can say for the rangers. It just seems like torts has them so uptight thinking about the system and cycling, coverage etc that they are being neutered of what makes them offensive players in the first place...creativity. Sure it helps if you have tons of skill on the ice but average players can excel on a power play if they arent overthinking it, assuming they can get through the neutral zone that is.
They need to just let go, screw torts and his system and just play. MOre than anything they need a defenseman who can carry the puck...mccabe skating .02 mph to his blue line while the rest of the team is waiting at the offenseive blue line just isnt cutting it. alot of that is on the coaching, guys standing at the blue line waiting for a dump in is NEVER going to work. Its a shame MDZ's game went to crap, we'd be in much better shape had we still had the rookie version of MDZ. oh well here's to a good offseason.

Old
04-16-2011, 05:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Agreed, GHT. We're lacking in talent, but some people make it sound as if we're some ECHL-caliber offense. At times, this team is just beyond lost on the PP and offense in general. Yes, we're lacking in talent, but our performance at times is just totally unacceptable for an NHL team.

Closed Thread