HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Fix what Ails the Kings....

Old
04-11-2011, 10:22 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
For my taste there are too many if's and when's but i enjoy the gameplan discussion with you.

To point B) All of the opition you point at has nothing to do with scoring.
You just put the problem somwhere else.
If you can't win the fight at the board throw into the corner, if you can't win here start cycle etc...
But you still have the main problem........
As soon as you are at the board you limit yourself to a single way to the goal.
From outside to inside. It doesn't matter that you try to pass or to shoot or whatever.
The defense knows exactly where you will go.

I try to explain it again. When i say enter through the middle i'm not talking about the neutral, i'm talking about the o-zone.
As soon as you do that one side of the opponent gets weak because the forechecker has to move to the middle and the defender has to follow the direction to close the gap. That creates a movent direction for 2 players.
You don't even need your defender to penetrate this weak spot.
From now on you can play around. If your opponents decide to crush you you have a lateral motion again and have 3 option.....
- going deep and let the defender follow you
- play cross ice against their motion
- play a pass to the defender who directly passes back to you.

I think you see my point. We are acting instead reacting. We put the pressure on and the opponents has to react. This is when creativity comes in.

For the PP. It is not the sense of powerplay to shoot as much as you can.
You should play smart and creative to have the crystal clear chance.
All that puck throwing, deflecting or hoping for a bad bounce has nothing to do with PP. I'm absolutely convinced that a PP unit with Kopitar,Williams, Penner Johnson and Doughty can score around 30%
Hell, other teams would kill to have just one of our blue liner on the PP.

I am absolutely sure our recent system leads absolutely nowhere.
It is nice to have one of the fewest goals against but to score a goal would help our game a lot.
Just to bring up the Red Wings and the Preds again.
They play our style of defense but mixed with brutal and creative offense.
It is possible........ we just need the change to a 2 way game
Ok, I see what you are saying, different terminology, you mean attack the middle...not carrying the puck into the zone from the middle....

I agree, the Kings need to attack the middle, but they don't have the personnel to play that style.... they don't have quick forwards that can play a give n go, dipsy, hide the puck here it is again offensive style. Their forwards are power, power, and power, they have the personnel to arrive at the net in ill humour, and they aren't doing that. I guarantee you if the Kings actually crash the net, you would see more chances, and more goals.

PP, I am with you, it has to change, Kompon has to go, but until that happens, they have to execute, they have to go from high to low, get the guy in the corner to attack the net with the puck, and then dish back out to the guy on the half-wall for a QUICK shot with traffic, what happens now when the guy on the half-wall gets the puck, he looks to the point instead of shooting it.

As far as having a power play at 30%, good luck with that, I don't think that has happened in a long time. Per NHL.com, since 97-98, the highest PCT's

97-98: Dallas 20%
98-99: Anaheim 21.9%
99-00: Detroit 20.4%
00-01: New Jersey 22.9%
01-02: Los Angeles 20.6%
02-03: Detroit 23.8%
03-04: Ottawa 21.5%
04-05: N/A
05-06: Detroit 22.1%
06-07: Montreal 22.8%
07-08: Montreal 24.1%
08-09: Detroit 25.5%
09-10: Washington 25.2%
10-11: Vancouver 24.3%

No team in the past 15-16 years has gotten it even close to 30%, even 25% will lead the league etc...

Do the Kings have to improve, yes, but let's be somewhat realistic here.

Again, you bring up Nashville like they play a different system, they don't....why bring them up all the time...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:40 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
On Kozun that is exactly where I see him playing. The guy is tough as nails and will draw a ton of penalties due to his skillset as well.

Also the manner in which each player is brought up will likely differ to varying degrees. I could see Kozun get a call up or two throughout the year before finally sticking. Both Toffi and Vey are likely to spend at least a season in the AHL before making it and Kitsyn too.

The staggering in which the kids are brought along will make it easier for us to bring them onto the big club as well as let us determine exactly how ready they are at the time.

I don't see a scenario where all of them will just step onto the team at once and it is more likely that one or two will take a little longer than another and we have a couple of dark horses who could make it too causing other variables to be brought into play.

What a great situation to be in though.

As to the need to keep TM I would disagree, there are other coaches who can bring kids up/along and even more to the point, by then our core group should have our d system down enough to where it is simply the brand of hockey that we play and furthermore I would think that keeping TM and his 2-1-2 low rotation drop system will be even more antiquated by then. So much so that his being here would be clearly detrimental to our young players development.

Also I can't see us keeping TM two more seasons since he hasn't won the cup for us and that would have been more than an ample amount of time for him to have done so.

Of course, if we win the cup under TM this season then I would clearly be proven wrong and that would of course be a best possible case scenario.
I agree, staggering bringing up the kids is better,

Curious then, would you be advocating that Buffalo fire Lindry Ruff, Nashville fire Barry Trotz, Toronto fire Ron Wilson, Vanouver fire Alain Vigneault, etc, I mean those coaches haven't won the cup some in more time than you have allotted for Murray?

The 2-1-2 low rotation is effective, if you can mix it up from lo to high, and from corner to corner, right now the Kings aren't doing that, is that Murray not coaching it, the players not listening, or not able to execute it?

Old
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

On the coaching changes.....

Firing Ruff might be what Buff needs but he has proven himself to be a coach who can change and adapt his system as time goes along as has been evidenced in each of his last few seasons and not only due to the addition/subtraction of players but also in how he took a team that pretty much ran a passive Left Wing Lock leaving the neutral zone to create his o rush into a 3 -1 -1 when he had the horses on the back end and now into another homologation of the LWL with the exception that he runs his center as his late press support or 3V1-1.

Ruff is more of an institution in Buff and with his ability to get allot out of a little I can't see him being moved but, as of now maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea or at least worthy of discussion.

I would be happy to give the Trotter another year or two in order to see what he can do with a completely healthy and stocked team (stocked with talented players).

Look at the Canucks success and you can see where AV has earned one more try but if the nucks are out before the finals you can bet that they will be looking for a replacement too.

Wilson Shmilson, he is a competent coach but lets see him take that sow's ear further.

My biggest problem with TM is that he isn't a good head coach any longer and that his time has come, it hasn't much to do with the amount of time he has been given to win a cup, it is more to do with the fact that we are seeing the exact same weaknesses that brought him down in Fla and Phi. That with his inability to adapt on the fly are the reasons that he shouldn't be coaching the Kings imo right now.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:05 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
On Kozun that is exactly where I see him playing. The guy is tough as nails and will draw a ton of penalties due to his skillset as well.

Also the manner in which each player is brought up will likely differ to varying degrees. I could see Kozun get a call up or two throughout the year before finally sticking. Both Toffi and Vey are likely to spend at least a season in the AHL before making it and Kitsyn too.

The staggering in which the kids are brought along will make it easier for us to bring them onto the big club as well as let us determine exactly how ready they are at the time.

I don't see a scenario where all of them will just step onto the team at once and it is more likely that one or two will take a little longer than another and we have a couple of dark horses who could make it too causing other variables to be brought into play.

What a great situation to be in though.

As to the need to keep TM I would disagree, there are other coaches who can bring kids up/along and even more to the point, by then our core group should have our d system down enough to where it is simply the brand of hockey that we play and furthermore I would think that keeping TM and his 2-1-2 low rotation drop system will be even more antiquated by then. So much so that his being here would be clearly detrimental to our young players development.
Blasphemy, I tell you, its Blasphemay. (Do I really need this )
You cant call this system antiquated.

Quote:
Also I can't see us keeping TM two more seasons since he hasn't won the cup for us and that would have been more than an ample amount of time for him to have done so.

Of course, if we win the cup under TM this season then I would clearly be proven wrong and that would of course be a best possible case scenario.
You need not worry about that TG, not this season!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
sjmay*

Quote:

Firing Ruff might be what Buff needs but he has proven himself to be a coach who can change and adapt his system as time goes along as has been evidenced in each of his last few seasons and not only due to the addition/subtraction of players but also in how he took a team that pretty much ran a passive Left Wing Lock leaving the neutral zone to create his o rush into a 3 -1 -1 when he had the horses on the back end and now into another homologation of the LWL with the exception that he runs his center as his late press support or 3V1-1.

Ruff is more of an institution in Buff and with his ability to get allot out of a little I can't see him being moved but, as of now maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea or at least worthy of discussion.

I would be happy to give the Trotter another year or two in order to see what he can do with a completely healthy and stocked team (stocked with talented players).

Look at the Canucks success and you can see where AV has earned one more try but if the nucks are out before the finals you can bet that they will be looking for a replacement too.

Wilson Shmilson, he is a competent coach but lets see him take that sow's ear further.

My biggest problem with TM is that he isn't a good head coach any longer and that his time has come, it hasn't much to do with the amount of time he has been given to win a cup, it is more to do with the fact that we are seeing the exact same weaknesses that brought him down in Fla and Phi. That with his inability to adapt on the fly are the reasons that he shouldn't be coaching the Kings imo right now.
Fair enough, but FLA, let's give any coach that has coached there since there inception a pass,

In Phi, he had one of the top offenses, not sure what weaknesses you are getting at.

Besides the fact that Ruff and Trotz are the exceptions, the average shelf life of a coach is 3-4 years to begin with...

Not exactly sure what the problem you have with TM is, maybe you have stated it somewhere and I missed it....

Old
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

There you go again. Spouting truth will only get you lambasted.

The Coach is great, The system is perfect and never need be altered. The players just dont perform, or care enough or get it.

I get that some think that TM is greatr because of what he has done, but could any new coach have gone down from where we were with the player additions and player maturations we have had?

If you think this system is good enough to win a championship with, then you're far more perceptive than I am (and no TG -- this isnt me thinking you're thinking this way -- I know better)

Defense wins championships, but the last i looked you needed to be able to score to win and our system played to TM's liking limits that potential. If you cant see that on your own, nothing I can say is going to change that. And the system wont change until the coach does. That's what it means when they say you can't teach an old TM new tricks

Old
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Blasphemy, I tell you, its Blasphemay. (Do I really need this )
You cant call this system antiquated.

You need not worry about that TG, not this season!
Coming from the one poster who can't articulate what a 2-1-2 low rotation is.....that's funny.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:00 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
There you go again. Spouting truth will only get you lambasted.

The Coach is great, The system is perfect and never need be altered. The players just dont perform, or care enough or get it.

I get that some think that TM is greatr because of what he has done, but could any new coach have gone down from where we were with the player additions and player maturations we have had?

If you think this system is good enough to win a championship with, then you're far more perceptive than I am (and no TG -- this isnt me thinking you're thinking this way -- I know better)

Defense wins championships, but the last i looked you needed to be able to score to win and our system played to TM's liking limits that potential. If you cant see that on your own, nothing I can say is going to change that. And the system wont change until the coach does. That's what it means when they say you can't teach an old TM new tricks

I think a fair and solid comparison with TM is how the Raiders are doing under Al Davis ownership. The playbook has been copied and passed around the league so that everyone and their cat/dog know it inside out.

It's a playbook that once lead an average team to greatness and took a good team to the promised land and then things changed, coaches caught wind of what was happening and changed their systems so that they could stop the runaway train that was the raiders. Did they adapt? Nope.

They stuck with their just win baby talk and their just lose baby game plan and haven't come close to winning a championship since.

I have said it before but it bares repeating in this instance. I was coached by one of hockey's greatest coaches of all time at any level in Brian Killer Kilrea when I was a 67. After my injury he took me under his wing and tried like heck to make me become a competent assistant coach. I tried my hardest and while I did a little work away from the 67's I never really took hold so when another opportunity came up I jumped at it and haven't looked back too much since.

Still, everything that Killer said has stuck in my head. The way to assess the talent of a player and then how to find out if they have the heart to make it. The way to tell if a coach knows his game and what to look for when working with them. How to know when to hang them up and how to know when to drop them.

One of the things that he said (and this is by memory all these years later) about coaches and how to find a good one is their ability to adapt on the fly. Watch all great coaches, Bowman is my favorite NHL coach to use as an example but there are plenty of others but watch them and how they deal adversity; The good coaches will always have a contingency plan at the ready and will have at least practiced that plan once in awhile. A great coach will have his players prepared for most contingencies in how they operate their systems.

The best coaches look forward to the chess match that happens when problems try to dictate the outcome of a game.

I am not asking for TM to show us that he can be a great coach, he has proven that he will never be able to do that, what I would settle for would be to see him be a good coach more than once and that is the he has his team *ready* to adapt on the fly to a challenging situation.

That he hasn't ever done during his coaching career.

Giving him credit for Phi's offence by the way is like crediting Santa Claus for an exceptional candy haul on the last halloween.

It's Make Believe.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

The funny part is people want to hire a coach with Zero NHL coaching experience. And no track record of success. And think that is going to solve all the Kings problems while creating none.

You people are bonkers.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Wait, we are bonkers?

With your line of thinking then Scotty Bowman should never have gotten a chance. With your line of thinking Crosby wouldn't have won a cup. With your line of thinking we should stick with a coach who is known around the league as being a one trick pony and has been out coached on several occasions this season and has shown a propensity to remain stuck in his system regardless of and in spite of the need to adapt. No, line changes do not equate to being adaptation.

According to your line of thinking we should never try to fix anything out of fear that something else might need to be fixed.

I have never read a single post where people think that we can find the perfect coach who will never have or make a mistake, just people who have seen enough of TM's game to know where he is going and are looking for change.

So yes, if wanting to win the cup and have a coach who can not only develop a game plan that works but will also have the ability to adapt his plan to beat his opponents is "bonkers" the call me King nuthatch.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:55 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Wait, we are bonkers?

With your line of thinking then Scotty Bowman should never have gotten a chance. With your line of thinking Crosby wouldn't have won a cup. With your line of thinking we should stick with a coach who is known around the league as being a one trick pony and has been out coached on several occasions this season and has shown a propensity to remain stuck in his system regardless of and in spite of the need to adapt. No, line changes do not equate to being adaptation.

According to your line of thinking we should never try to fix anything out of fear that something else might need to be fixed.

I have never read a single post where people think that we can find the perfect coach who will never have or make a mistake, just people who have seen enough of TM's game to know where he is going and are looking for change.

So yes, if wanting to win the cup and have a coach who can not only develop a game plan that works but will also have the ability to adapt his plan to beat his opponents is "bonkers" the call me King nuthatch.
I am fine if Dean decides TM is done. But I don't expect every single problem to be solved or a new coach not to create new one's.
The people that Think TM=Fire all problems go away, Are bonkers.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:00 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

That is true, whoever we get as our next coach is going to have to fill holes and fix problems but I would rather do whatever it takes to get these kids to the next level now before we start losing them then to wait and see if TM can learn how to coach in the new NHL.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:43 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

BUMP
Quote:
Wait, we are bonkers?

IF YOU DONT AGREE YOU ARE BONKERS!!!!! YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I am fine if Dean decides TM is done. But I don't expect every single problem to be solved or a new coach not to create new one's.
The people that Think TM=Fire all problems go away, Are bonkers.

Agreed but NO ONE who posts here with any hockey semse or analytic ability thinks that. TM's style and philosophy present a unique set of limitations. We still have spots to fill and a dominating style to develop or at least one that is more dynamic and potent.

Quote:
That is true, whoever we get as our next coach is going to have to fill holes and fix problems but I would rather do whatever it takes to get these kids to the next level now before we start losing them then to wait and see if TM can learn how to coach in the new NHL.
BINGO.

Now: interesting play to watch for all those of you who think your blueline corps need to be welded there (blueline) and that the cross ice pass to a person manning the point but sneaking down the weaksideto get into the play offensively is STUPID: Hmmm it just happens to be NASHVILLE, watch the play where they score GOAL 2 vs the ducks tonight. I'll let it speak for itself.
________________________________/ end

P.S. Does you know the way to San Jose?

The reference is far too ancient for most on this board. Luckily. I'm on the plane early tomorrow to San Jose so I hope the pilot knows his way.

Listen for us. WE WILL BE HEARD, the REAM WIL RALLY AND THE KINGS WILL SPLIT the first two!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 04-16-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old
04-16-2011, 01:02 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
BUMP

IF YOU DONT AGREE YOU ARE BONKERS!!!!! YES

Agreed but NO ONE who posts here with any hockey semse or analytic ability thinks that. TM's style and philosophy present a unique set of limitations. We still have spots to fill and a dominating style to develop or at least one that is more dynamic and potent.

BINGO.

Now: interesting play to watch for all those of you who think your blueline corps need to be welded there (blueline) and that the cross ice pass to a person manning the point but sneaking down the weaksideto get into the play offensively is STUPID: Hmmm it just happens to be NASHVILLE, watch the play where they score GOAL 2 vs the ducks tonight. I'll let it speak for itself.
________________________________/ end

P.S. Does you know the way to San Jose?

The reference is far too ancient for most on this board. Luckily. I'm on the plane early tomorrow to San Jose so I hope the pilot knows his way.

Listen for us. WE WILL BE HEARD, the REAM WIL RALLY AND THE KINGS WILL SPLIT the first two!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!

Go KINGS GO!
Oh you mean the Nasvhille goal on the POWER PLAY?

FFS man, no one is saying the D needs to be on the blueline during the ****ing powerplay!!!!!

Old
04-16-2011, 02:05 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is Braydon Schenn the answer?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:34 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Is Braydon Schenn the answer?
I would say.....soon he would be

Old
04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Oh you mean the Nasvhille goal on the POWER PLAY?

FFS man, no one is saying the D needs to be on the blueline during the ****ing powerplay!!!!!
Terry Murray does.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Ollie Weeks

Though Murray will piss me off from time to time, I'm really unconcerned with the state of the team. If we were healthy to end the season we'd easily finish 4th and this thread doesn't exist.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:02 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Terry Murray does.
Sure he does....you keep believing that...