HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Ducks go with Emery?

Old
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM
wadesworld

vCash: 500
Will the Ducks go with Emery?

Will the Ducks go with Emery the rest of the way?

Anyone know what Emery's injury was? How healthy is he?

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Always tough to switch after just one game, but going down 2-0 and heading to Nashville is a virtual death knell.

Emery made some good saves and will have confidence, who knows where Ellis' head will be now. I think they have to make this switch, as long as he is healthy. The only thing they might have to worry about is fatigue if the series goes deep.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

All of the goalies for Anaheim are suspect: #danellisproblems, Hiller's vertigo, Emery's hip.

I wouldn't even know which one to pick.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:16 AM
JoeDaddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
All of the goalies for Anaheim are suspect: #danellisproblems, Hiller's vertigo, Emery's hip.

I wouldn't even know which one to pick.
As a Ducks fan, Emery inspires the most confidence and seems to play most consistently. Ellis can be hot, as he was against LA, or he can be incredibly mediocre (as you Preds fans are well aware of, I'm sure).

Ellis came in at a time when we were desperate for any kind of goaltending and did a pretty good job. He gave us a chance to be where we're at. But while I think he can be a solid #2, he just doesn't seem to have the longevity or streakeyness that's needed in a starter. he hasn't had a whole lot of time here in Anaheim, but that's my opinion on him, at least.

Emery has been to the show. He knows what it takes and he's brought it previously. He had an insane setback and had put in more work than probably anyone else to be where he is right now. He's playing for a number one spot somewhere next year. He's got the confidence and he seems to inspire confidence in the team in front of him. He's the easy choice for me... *if* he's healthy. As much as I'd love the Ducks to take this series, it's not worth ruining his career over. And if he's having hip problems I think that Ellis will get most of the starts.

Hiller... the poor guy. The man was on his way to being an elite goal tender, it seemed. And then this vertigo crap hit him out of nowhere. After his last start (against the Preds, natch) he gave up three goals on 9 shots (something like that). I don't think the team would have much confidence in him at this point. I sure don't. At this point I'm just hoping that he'll be healthy for next season. I don't know why anyone would think to put him in goal right now unless Emery and Ellis were both injured.

joe

JoeDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Aside from goal number 4, I didn't see Ellis as having much a chance on any of the goals. He actually made quite a few good saves early on, the Hornqvist one standing out...

04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Aside from goal number 4, I didn't see Ellis as having much a chance on any of the goals. He actually made quite a few good saves early on, the Hornqvist one standing out...
Agreed. Its always easier to blame the goalie than to give credit to the goal scorer.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is what was going through my mind while reading this goalie discussion. Ellis looked ok. Our goals came from good work. I know it's easy to look at the scoreboard and think "Ok well, Nashville has no offense so Ellis must have sucked", but it really isn't the case at all. Anaheim in general sucked

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:14 PM
JoeDaddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This is what was going through my mind while reading this goalie discussion. Ellis looked ok. Our goals came from good work. I know it's easy to look at the scoreboard and think "Ok well, Nashville has no offense so Ellis must have sucked", but it really isn't the case at all. Anaheim in general sucked
I totally agree. Not trying to take anything away from the Preds offense - they put it together, for sure, and the Ducks got outworked big time in just about every aspect of the game. Just commenting on who I'd choose and why.

Ellis did a pretty good job with what he had going on in front of him. I just think that Emery would do better. We'll probably find out if this is the case tomorrow.

joe

JoeDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
If the players and Caryle perceive that Ellis wasnt that bad then Ellis will likely be back.

if the players have lost confidence in him then Caryle has a real dilemma.

does he play Emery, and risk him not being physically able to finish a 7 game series and having to reinsert ellis with no player confidence?

or does he roll the dice at home and give Ellis a shot at regaining his form and thus the confidence of the room?

if he plays Emery now and then has to go back to Ellis later, thats not a good scenario..

but if he goes 0-2 at home thats almost a guaranteed series loss...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I think Anaheim would be stupid to play Ellis next game. Worry about Emery's health later. They need to win a game now. Emery looked solid even though he wasn't tested much. I wish we could have gotten 1 by him to shake his confidence.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I think Anaheim would be stupid to play Ellis next game. Worry about Emery's health later. They need to win a game now. Emery looked solid even though he wasn't tested much. I wish we could have gotten 1 by him to shake his confidence.
Exactly. I don't think we'll see Ellis on friday after he left the ice with his tail between his legs.

Honestly he didn't do that bad of a job and if I remember correctly he warned everybody that Nashville is underrated. All the same, when they pulled him out of the game they made it evident that they clearly have little confidence in his goaltending against Nashville. On friday they probably would rather risk Emery's health than risk 2-0 and headed to nashville.

To the OP re:
Quote:
Anyone know what Emery's injury was?
It's a hip injury and I think it's been a recurring complication since he was diagnosed and treated for avascular necrosis last year. "a bone disease where, due to the interruption of blood supply, the bone tissue dies and the bone collapses". The fact that he went through a bone graft surgery and came back to play this year offers a lot of inspiration for the fans and the team, but also a lot of health concerns.

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

I think they'll go with emery. He did look very good shutting things down when he came in. Granted the preds already had the lead and weren't pressing as hard. Still, he looked more calm and cool in net. He looks much much better than he did a year or two ago. He's really worked hard during the offseason, and recovering from that hip injury. He may be a thorn in our side.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:13 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I think they'll go with emery. He did look very good shutting things down when he came in. Granted the preds already had the lead and weren't pressing as hard. Still, he looked more calm and cool in net. He looks much much better than he did a year or two ago. He's really worked hard during the offseason, and recovering from that hip injury. He may be a thorn in our side.
Yep, what I was thinking at the end of the game. Emery in, Ellis tweeting from the bench.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:41 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

The twitter grapevine says it will be Emery.

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
DucksFanDFW

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymcdeath View Post
The twitter grapevine says it will be Emery.
This Eric Stephens tweeted that it looks like Emery will get the nod:

Quote:
icemancometh Eric Stephens
It looks like Ray Emery is indeed the Game 2 starter for the Ducks.

DucksFanDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:33 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymcdeath View Post
To the OP re:
It's a hip injury and I think it's been a recurring complication since he was diagnosed and treated for avascular necrosis last year. "a bone disease where, due to the interruption of blood supply, the bone tissue dies and the bone collapses". The fact that he went through a bone graft surgery and came back to play this year offers a lot of inspiration for the fans and the team, but also a lot of health concerns.
Ouch. That's the same thing that ended Bo Jackson's career. I hope his career can survive.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Preds DVM

My good friend is a huge Ducks fan and just confirmed it. Emery is in.

Preds DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 05:05 PM
SK74 Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDaddio View Post
As a Ducks fan, Emery inspires the most confidence and seems to play most consistently. Ellis can be hot, as he was against LA, or he can be incredibly mediocre (as you Preds fans are well aware of, I'm sure).

Ellis came in at a time when we were desperate for any kind of goaltending and did a pretty good job. He gave us a chance to be where we're at. But while I think he can be a solid #2, he just doesn't seem to have the longevity or streakeyness that's needed in a starter. he hasn't had a whole lot of time here in Anaheim, but that's my opinion on him, at least.

Emery has been to the show. He knows what it takes and he's brought it previously. He had an insane setback and had put in more work than probably anyone else to be where he is right now. He's playing for a number one spot somewhere next year. He's got the confidence and he seems to inspire confidence in the team in front of him. He's the easy choice for me... *if* he's healthy. As much as I'd love the Ducks to take this series, it's not worth ruining his career over. And if he's having hip problems I think that Ellis will get most of the starts.

Hiller... the poor guy. The man was on his way to being an elite goal tender, it seemed. And then this vertigo crap hit him out of nowhere. After his last start (against the Preds, natch) he gave up three goals on 9 shots (something like that). I don't think the team would have much confidence in him at this point. I sure don't. At this point I'm just hoping that he'll be healthy for next season. I don't know why anyone would think to put him in goal right now unless Emery and Ellis were both injured.

joe
I feel terrible for hiller, but I can't say im unhappy about it right now

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Preds DVM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=559830

Preds DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 06:39 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds DVM View Post
I'm guessing that guy is a Ducks fan.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:54 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I'm guessing that guy is a Ducks fan.
Google his name and it looks like he's a staff writer for the Orange County Register, so yeah.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:30 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Well Emery looks OK but to me often times when he went down you could see he struggled to get back up. Understandably so with his injuries, but gotta take advantage of that.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Well Emery looks OK but to me often times when he went down you could see he struggled to get back up. Understandably so with his injuries, but gotta take advantage of that.
I think tonight clearly showed that the Ducks main weakness is in net. Team yanked Ellis, so there's no confidence there. Hiller is still battling vertigo and essentially said that he wouldn't be confident if called upon before the series even started so there's no confidence there. Now Emery gets the win tonight, but was solved as the game went on. The Ducks have made their bed. Emery is the guy, but you've gotta wonder how much confidence the Ducks have there...

Bottom line, Rinne stole game 1. Preds gave away game 2. I'm fairly confident this series is far from over...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:24 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I think a lot depends on how Emery feels tomorrow. Or after a 4 hour flight.

I don't think we've seen the last of Ellis. Especially if the series goes beyond 5 games. There are no extra travel days after game 4. It's just a game and a cross country flight every other day. If Emery isn't completely healthy, whatever the Lower body injury was, could flare up overnight.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote