HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

+/- Game 1 vs Tampa (3-0 win) (1-0 Pens)

Old
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Forget it dude, I've tried to pound this home since August.

People are under the impression that it's a wide open game and "results" oriented players are the ones who should play over fast, tenacious hard workers who make their presence felt almost every time they're on.

The goaltending is too good now. Breakdowns of tapes are too advanced. Players are too fast, too big, block too many shots, clog up passing lanes - and even the worst teams are able to get into a shell and play defense.

I'll bring up my favorite whipping boy again (to Brooksie's delight) Bill Guerin of 2010, to get my point across. It was great that he "produced", but his odd tap in every five games didn't make up for the giant mound of **** that he was the rest of the time. He'd probably have more goals than Neal right now during Neal's time span here, but who would you rather have, "production" notwithstanding?

If you're not scoring on a regular basis when you're labeled a "scorer", you better be doing other things like getting to pucks first, or cracking skulls, or causing general chaos in the other team's zone. If you're not, you're completely ****ing useless as a hockey player.
Haha again I'm not advocating that a team like this that's racked up a ton of points without a ton of talent up front should be torn down in favor of something resembling the high scoring '80s. I simply think you still need that other ingredient. I don't want more than one Kovalev on the team. Heck I don't even want him back next year and the only reason I'm okay with it this year is because it's an odd year with the injuries so why not take a chance.

You need well-rounded players, that's not even a debate. Being well-rounded includes scoring as part of that equation though, whether it's an individual player or an entire team. I'm just not sure why we need a team of Crosby, Malkin, and a bunch of guys who try hard but can't finish. It sounds nice but it's not optimizing what we have, it's just keeping up with the Jones' (Joneses?).

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Yeah the playoffs are a funny thing. It can redeem investments you've made that you originally thought were pointless. For instance I'm happy as a clam we have Kovalev and Asham at the moment haha.
Always happy with Asham...

I was gonna say he's always hustling

But seriously when it comes to Kovy every time I find myself getting frustrated over him I remind myself 6th round pick.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:53 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Haha again I'm not advocating that a team like this that's racked up a ton of points without a ton of talent up front should be torn down in favor of something resembling the high scoring '80s. I simply think you still need that other ingredient. I don't want more than one Kovalev on the team. Heck I don't even want him back next year and the only reason I'm okay with it this year is because it's an odd year with the injuries so why not take a chance.

You need well-rounded players, that's not even a debate. Being well-rounded includes scoring as part of that equation though, whether it's an individual player or an entire team. I'm just not sure why we need a team of Crosby, Malkin, and a bunch of guys who try hard but can't finish. It sounds nice but it's not optimizing what we have, it's just keeping up with the Jones' (Joneses?).
I'm in total agreement there. Unfortunately that salary cap gets in the way. In the end I think Shero wants guys who can be both skilled and abrasive, and isnt' just going to sign floaters because "He'll score 30 goals with Sid!!!"

In other words, Zherdev MIGHT score 35 goals here, but Shero would rather get 20-25 goals from a Backes or Dustin Brown, knowing they'll more than make up for a little less production by constantly trying to pound guys into the 10th row.

If he can't have guys like that, he'd rather go after bullish, fast players who don't have a lot of skill, but don't cost much either.

I mean Shero's wet dream would be:

Neal-Sid-Backes
Kunitz-Geno-Brown

Actually, that would make me wet too...

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:07 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'm in total agreement there. Unfortunately that salary cap gets in the way. In the end I think Shero wants guys who can be both skilled and abrasive, and isnt' just going to sign floaters because "He'll score 30 goals with Sid!!!"

In other words, Zherdev MIGHT score 35 goals here, but Shero would rather get 20-25 goals from a Backes or Dustin Brown, knowing they'll more than make up for a little less production by constantly trying to pound guys into the 10th row.

If he can't have guys like that, he'd rather go after bullish, fast players who don't have a lot of skill, but don't cost much either.

I mean Shero's wet dream would be:

Neal-Sid-Backes
Kunitz-Geno-Brown

Actually, that would make me wet too...
Here here, and believe me just because I like scoring doesn't mean my wet dream is Zherdev, Kovalev, and Afinogenov all being on the same team. I don't think one guy like that (that can still skate unlike Kovalev) would be a terrible idea though and maybe that's why people jump on me. It's just that when I see Kunitz, Crosby, Neal, Malkin, and probably Kennedy in the top 6 I don't know if one guy is going to bring the team crashing down because he's not a ferocious backchecker. If the situation presented itself and the cap only allowed a guy like that I just don't see the harm.

This is all kind of moot at this point though since I've said before Neal that all I wanted was for both top lines to have one decent winger. Given the salary cap I'm happy with how it's constructed for the most part and I think next year will be amazing.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a24g...layer_embedded

This is great, but the ending should be "What if Stamkos was Diabetic?" hahaha

I figured I should make a gif.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Great team win, nisky still scares me. Anybody else think Engo would be a better option?
not when we are scratching for points.....and playing a team with lots of speed.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Jag68Sid87

I just think THIS particular group needs a Kovalev. We were all a bit worried that he wouldn't buy in, that he would look like a fish out of water under Disco's system. Well, he does look a tad out of place, I'll be honest, but as long as he produces then that's all we need from him. Kovy doesn't have to kill penalties here. He doesn't have to wear a letter here. He just needs to keep creating things out there.

IF management figures that when Sid and Geno are back (next season), Kovy will no longer be needed, then that'll be that. I would still try to keep him for one final NHL campaign at a reduced rate. But if not, then this is it for him with us. And we'll need more timely offense from him.

Without both Sid and Geno, Kovy's a necessity. The necessity for keeping Chris Conner in the lineup is more of a puzzler to me. I'd try just about any bigger body in his stead.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I just think THIS particular group needs a Kovalev. We were all a bit worried that he wouldn't buy in, that he would look like a fish out of water under Disco's system. Well, he does look a tad out of place, I'll be honest, but as long as he produces then that's all we need from him. Kovy doesn't have to kill penalties here. He doesn't have to wear a letter here. He just needs to keep creating things out there.

IF management figures that when Sid and Geno are back (next season), Kovy will no longer be needed, then that'll be that. I would still try to keep him for one final NHL campaign at a reduced rate. But if not, then this is it for him with us. And we'll need more timely offense from him.

Without both Sid and Geno, Kovy's a necessity. The necessity for keeping Chris Conner in the lineup is more of a puzzler to me. I'd try just about any bigger body in his stead.
I'm not sure why everyone is so upset with him. He didn't make any glaring give aways, came back well into his own zone, made some great neutral zone passes and scored that big goal. Whats wrong with that?

Getting up slow when you have your feet taken out negates all that good?

Gotta say again how much I love Neal coming out of the defensive zone in the middle of the ice and Letestu coming up semi LW.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:25 PM
embeev

That was fast...

embeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Kovalev's vision, hands, and creativity are unmatched by anyone in the current forward group.

No, he won't work you to death or out-skate you. But I don't understand why his particular skill-set at this point in his career is such a terrible thing on this team. There's something to be said, I think, for mixing different types of players together. The ideal line formula in my opinion, would be something like:

Power Forward - Playmaker - Sniper

When you're looking for a good mix of players, obviously certain types are going to fit into the overall system better than others. That doesn't mean that those types of players aren't useful or even beneficial. As long as Kovalev offers the lineup something that it lacks (which it does, with Crosby and Malkin out). He has a significant purpose.

It's probably also worth taking notice that with Staal's primary responsibilities being deployed against other teams' top lines, it leaves Neal-Letestu-Kovalev to deal with the oppositions' top shutdown pair fairly consistently. Of course, that's no excuse for a lack of production on the PP, but the PP is a team-wide problem.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
- Staal missing a ton of great chances
This made me laugh, because Neal gets a + from everybody every game for doing the exact same thing.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:31 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Orpiks hit on Stamkos

does anyone have or know where I can find a high quality photo of that hit?

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:59 AM
Danrozen

There was a segement on Orpik last night that was entertaining - Crazy eyes!

Danrozen is offline   Reply With Quote