HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Gabby make a difference?

Old
04-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Edit: For the record I don't think he is hurt, if anything he may have never returned to form after the injuries, but that doesn't mean he is still hurting. That's an adjustment or side-effect of previously being hurt, not actually being hurt.

If for some reason he is still hurt, and they're playing him, and he is playing on it, anyone involved in letting that happen IS STUPID! If it becomes worse it will only affect his game even more negatively, or slot him on the IR for longer periods of time.

To me there is no way management lets a 7 million dollar investment play hurt.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Edit: For the record I don't think he is hurt, if anything he may have never returned to form after the injuries, but that doesn't mean he is still hurting. That's an adjustment or side-effect of previously being hurt, not actually being hurt.

If for some reason he is still hurt, and they're playing him, and he is playing on it, anyone involved in letting that happen IS STUPID! If it becomes worse it will only affect his game even more negatively, or slot him on the IR for longer periods of time.

To me there is no way management lets a 7 million dollar investment play hurt.
If Gaborik has an injury that causes pain but can't be aggravated then the medical staff should have no qualms about clearing him to play. That being said, its anyone's guess as to why he's having such a lackluster season. We need him to step up.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Oh great...then for two seasons people will be able to complain that Brad Richards doesn't have any first-line wingers to play with...
In all honesty, thats exactly what would happen.

He'd be shipped off, score 40 or 50 goals, and everyone who wanted him gone, will then come here, say that Glen Sather should be fired, and that although they were critical, they didn't want him gone.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger109 View Post
Gabs has not done anything 1 on 1, he can't do anything. Sure he's fast, but usually, he uses one hand to dump the puck a bit and gets body checked. He has no one to pass too and no one seems to be able to keep up with him.

Gaborik has to make a difference in the playoffs. He needs to find room, get into postion and put some ****ing pucks in the net.
I've noticed this repeatedly. Ever notice how many times Gaborik is literally the only one up the ice? He streaks down the right wing... slows up at the boards, draws two guys to him, looks to set someone up perfectly right in the slot and... no one ever is there. It could be that Prospal, while being good and nearly a point per game guy, is honestly just way too slow to be able to rush up ice with Gabs, or it could be that Anisimov is just wildly inconsistent with knowing where to be. But what I notice above all else is that it's the lack of the D knowing when to jump up. If there was Mike Green, Dan Boyle type D-man on this team, you know how many times Gabs would be able to put the puck right on there stick breaking into the slot? But no D-man ever jumps up or does it at the right time.

Gaborik's had less space, less help, and plays with guys who really can't keep up with him at times. So, he makes space for other players, because when he pulls above move he always draws two guys, which is what leaves the D wide open to streak in. That being said, I think the big issue is the lack of a said D man. McCabe is great for the PP, but he's not the lead the rush kind of guy.

Del Zotto was instrumental to Gab's success last year because he was able to read those plays mentioned above. Gab's a speedster, Del Zotto was great with his break out passes and nearly tape to tape was always able to hit Gab's in stride. This is the biggest diff I see. Perhaps second biggest because I believe most of his inconsistency is due to injury and the fact that he was playing through a concussion and didn't even know and earlier a shoulder injury... he just hasn't been right all year.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

The Gaborik apologists make me laugh. I just can't figure out the reasoning/rationale.

I'm thinking that perhaps, Gaborik is a giant stoner that just wants the game to be over so he can eat a bag of Funyons. That makes more sense than some of the arguments in this thread.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 04-15-2011 at 09:55 AM.
KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
The Gaborik apologists make me laugh. I just can't figure out the reasoning/rationale.

I'm thinking that perhaps, Gaborik is a giant stoner that just wants the game to be over so he can eat a bag of Funions. That makes more sense than some of the arguments in this thread.
The point is, people only seem to be able to focus on the most recent. If Gabby had this season last year, and last season this year he'd be a hero who is earning his contract around here. But guess what? There's no net difference. One is just more recent.

Same with the people who suddenly are all about Kovalchuk b/c he had a good 2nd half. Suddenly he was "clutch" and worth it. At the end of the day, the guy put up 58 points in the first year of his massive contract, and wouldn't have had to be scrambling to score game winners in a futile playoff chase if he had helped them win some games and earn some points earlier in the year.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I just think the whole thing is all about finding his confidence again. We all know he can score. He's proven it in the past. What we don't know is can he stay healthy? So far, he has not shown that yet.

Moving forward there is one thing that I would like to see happen. I think Gaborik would play bigger with a rugged guy on the left wall. When he skated with Voros, these two found some chemistry. And Voros obviously is no where near his talent or skill level yet, these guys did ok together not just here in NY, but also in Minnesota. When Avery was there they did ok too. I think the key is not finding someone that can keep up, but someone that can create some commotion on the wall. I'm not thinking Zetterberg, or Heatley or Vanek...I'm thinking Ryan Clowe, Scott Hartnell or Milan Lucic.

But maybe even more important is finding a center that can find him and get him the puck from there. He's not going to carry it in himself and make a play. He needs a guy to do that for him. Maybe Richards will be that guy? Who knows? Richards had 49helpers this past seaaon. But...he had a guy like Benn playing the wall. I really think this Rangers team needs to find that piece. I like to think Dubi is that kind of rugged winger, but Dubi to me is a bit of a hybrid. He's as much of a playmaker and puck possesion guy as he is a banger. Plus, I am a huge proponent of keeping lines together. Dubi/Ani/Cally is a threat, but when opposing clubs are keying on them they had success. If the Rangers were to implement a true top line and the second line was under the radar again then we got business.

I think with the wealth of prospects, of draft picks and depth on the defense. The play for Glen Sather this off season is to land a guy that can play that left side. To me it's as important as landing Richards, which at this point I feel is going to happen.

Gabby will come around. He just needs to be part of the equation, and not the only solution.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Same with the people who suddenly are all about Kovalchuk b/c he had a good 2nd half. Suddenly he was "clutch" and worth it. At the end of the day, the guy put up 58 points in the first year of his massive contract, and wouldn't have had to be scrambling to score game winners in a futile playoff chase if he had helped them win some games and earn some points earlier in the year.
He was always worth it, you can't look at production too much if at all really.

I don't know if hockey is a diffrent kind of apple compared to other NA sports, but any player scoring comes from the environment he is in. The marginals are really small for every but maybe 3-4 players in this league. You score on like 5% of your shots, at times the puck goes in, you get confidence and builds on it, at other time it doesn't go in, you loose confidence and what not.

Just look at every scorer from Gretzky to Hull to Yzerman to AO to Bure to JJ and so on, you'll find cases of +/- 20 goals from season to season like as the norm more then anything else. Brett Hull scored 86 goals in 91' and 54 goals in 93'. Thats a 32 goal differnce from one year to the other almost. Wayne Gretzky scored 55 goals in 81' and 92 goals in 82', 37 goal difference from one year to the other.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post

I'm thinking that perhaps, Gaborik is a giant stoner that just wants the game to be over so he can eat a bag of Funyons. That makes more sense than some of the arguments in this thread.
One season removed from 40 goals, and when he showed up this season, he really showed up.

The guy obviously is still a game-breaker, he just needs to be a consistent game breaker. Gaborik should in no-way get a pass on being criticized for his lackluster season, but on the other hand he shouldn't be thrown to the lions for a bad season either.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I've noticed this repeatedly. Ever notice how many times Gaborik is literally the only one up the ice? He streaks down the right wing... slows up at the boards, draws two guys to him, looks to set someone up perfectly right in the slot and... no one ever is there. It could be that Prospal, while being good and nearly a point per game guy, is honestly just way too slow to be able to rush up ice with Gabs, or it could be that Anisimov is just wildly inconsistent with knowing where to be. But what I notice above all else is that it's the lack of the D knowing when to jump up. If there was Mike Green, Dan Boyle type D-man on this team, you know how many times Gabs would be able to put the puck right on there stick breaking into the slot? But no D-man ever jumps up or does it at the right time.

Gaborik's had less space, less help, and plays with guys who really can't keep up with him at times. So, he makes space for other players, because when he pulls above move he always draws two guys, which is what leaves the D wide open to streak in. That being said, I think the big issue is the lack of a said D man. McCabe is great for the PP, but he's not the lead the rush kind of guy.

Del Zotto was instrumental to Gab's success last year because he was able to read those plays mentioned above. Gab's a speedster, Del Zotto was great with his break out passes and nearly tape to tape was always able to hit Gab's in stride. This is the biggest diff I see. Perhaps second biggest because I believe most of his inconsistency is due to injury and the fact that he was playing through a concussion and didn't even know and earlier a shoulder injury... he just hasn't been right all year.
Ok I will give you all that. Now please give me the explanation for the point blank chances in front of the net.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
The point is, people only seem to be able to focus on the most recent. If Gabby had this season last year, and last season this year he'd be a hero who is earning his contract around here. But guess what? There's no net difference. One is just more recent.

My focus is on his career and to call it checkered would be an understatement. That is why I did not want him and why I would be happy if he left.

Last edited by chosen: 04-15-2011 at 05:07 PM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
OverTheCap

Gabby's shoulder better be injured. Snipers don't usually shoot into the goalie's chest so often. He used to have better control and accuracy on his shot.

I'm hoping he's not some sort of headcase or something. Maybe playing with EC so often is rubbing off on him.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Got some better scoring chances tonight, but I counted at least 4 turnovers/giveaways....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:23 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Gabby's shoulder better be injured. Snipers don't usually shoot into the goalie's chest so often. He used to have better control and accuracy on his shot.

I'm hoping he's not some sort of headcase or something. Maybe playing with EC so often is rubbing off on him.
I think you should prepare a script for him: A) NOT being hurt and B) Being a headcase.

Old
04-16-2011, 08:47 AM
free0717

This guy makes 7.5 million dollars a year to what, hit the goalie in the chest. This guy should have had 4 to 5 goals these last two games. When he shoots for the corner, it goes high and wide. Or he has the puck and holds onto it for a better look and gets checked. This is a guy who is supposed to have a nose for the net.

The bigger the game gets, The smaller gabby becomes.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 11:48 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
This guy makes 7.5 million dollars a year to what, hit the goalie in the chest. This guy should have had 4 to 5 goals these last two games. When he shoots for the corner, it goes high and wide. Or he has the puck and holds onto it for a better look and gets checked. This is a guy who is supposed to have a nose for the net.

The bigger the game gets, The smaller gabby becomes.
Could this be because our coach has him as the heaviest player on his line.

I repeat for the umpteenth ****ing time:

GABORIK IS THE BIGGEST PLAYER ON HIS LINE.<<<PROBLEM.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post

What are you even talking about? He's played with Dubinsky who's certainly bigger. He's played with Prospal who looks bigger to me also.

Plus, take a look at the roster, under your apparent reasoning for line combinations, who should be his mates? Boyle, Wolski & Dubinsky are the only people that are listed as being heavier than him...

And who did he play with last year? Prospal & Christensen for the majority of the year. Did they suddenly shrink this year? Is that the explanation for Gaborik's lack of offensive opportunities?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

completely done with this guy. he makes a bazillion dollars and does nada.

dudes last goal was scored on march 20. its april 16th today.

let that sink in for a moment.....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:33 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
What are you even talking about? He's played with Dubinsky who's certainly bigger. He's played with Prospal who looks bigger to me also.

Plus, take a look at the roster, under your apparent reasoning for line combinations, who should be his mates? Boyle, Wolski & Dubinsky are the only people that are listed as being heavier than him...

And who did he play with last year? Prospal & Christensen for the majority of the year. Did they suddenly shrink this year?
Is that the explanation for Gaborik's lack of offensive opportunities?
AH opening statement. Nice.
If you're really not that much of a schmuck, explain the bold. Also, why you think they were a success last year to say what you did.

He's also Gaborik, he and other consider him elite. To not build a known asset is a mistake in favor of work ethic and morals is simply not the best for any team.

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 04-16-2011 at 01:44 PM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Who was the bigger player that he played with last year?

04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
AH opening statement. Nice.
If you're really not that much of a schmuck, explain the bold. Also, why you think they were a success last year to say what you did.

He's also Gaborik, he and other consider him elite. To not build a known asset is a mistake in favor of work ethic and morals is simply not the best for any team.
You need to consider that his problem might not on the ice.

Old
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
I don't want him on this team next year after seeing such a stupid play

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Some difference he made in the series tonight. ****.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Mike NHL

Mike NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NHL View Post