HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens-Caps trade idea

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Sixty Six

vCash: 500
Pens-Caps trade idea

Pens: Witt
Caps: Surovy and Fata

I"d hate to see Surovy go i really like him but he has not shot at our top 6 this year and will have a hard time cracking it in the near future so i think he is expandable, plus the caps need to get closer to the floor hence adding Fata. Plus Fata will atleast be able to play some quality minutes for you. The pens aquire a sold defensive d-man that they really need. Is this close at in value? I do think i heard Witt won't be traded though. Just throwing it out there

Old
08-06-2005, 11:01 PM
boredmale

i don't think washington will trade witt, they hardly have any defensemen. But as an islanders fan i would trade parrish for Witt.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
i don't think washington will trade witt, they hardly have any defensemen. But as an islanders fan i would trade parrish for Witt.
if this was a bidding war, you just won

Old
08-06-2005, 11:24 PM
freakazoid

By default

Old
08-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I think a better idea is Pittsburgh trading Ryan Stone for Witt. Pittsburgh adds a good, defensive defenseman to go with Gonchar and Tarnstrom, and Washington adds Fehr's buddy Witt.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:32 PM
sunb

I honestly don't even think Witt is that good.

He is potentially a top 2 defenseman on a good team but he is just as likely to fall to a #4 role once people start to scrutinize him more.

Right now, by default, Brendan Witt is Washington's #1 defenseman. The respect of being #1 gives him an additional intangible value. Furthermore, him playing on a bad team allows people to overlook a lot of his faults.

The truth is, Witt is a big and rough defensive defenseman with size. But at the same time, he is slow and makes mistakes. I don't think he is anything more than a #3 defenseman on a decent team.

Pittsburgh probably wins this trade because they don't need Surovy and Fata but value-wise, this trade is fair. Fata and Surovy have explosive speeds and untapped offensive potential. They will thrive in the new NHL while Witt will be more likely to struggle. In conclusion however, I just don't see Washington making this deal unless Witt's contract is nearing termination.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:34 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I think a better idea is Pittsburgh trading Ryan Stone for Witt. Pittsburgh adds a good, defensive defenseman to go with Gonchar and Tarnstrom, and Washington adds Fehr's buddy Witt.
Stone has great potential to be a solid playmaking second-line center for them one day. They will hold onto Stone.

Although proven talents > unproven talents, Witt is overrated and I don't think he is a top 2 defenseman. In addition, the new NHL places a premium on speed, Witt may even fall out a top 4 role on a decent NHL defense.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Don't see the Pens trading Stone. Guys like Surovy, Fata, Beech, & Murley are available because they'd have to clear waivers to go down to Wilkes-Barre and they're not going to get regular shifts with the signings we've made. I'd gladly give two of them up for Witt but little else.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-06-2005, 11:57 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Stone isn't going anywhere. Pens management is VERY high on Stone.

That last sentence sounds kind of funny, doesn't it?

Old
08-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris

He is potentially a top 2 defenseman on a good team but he is just as likely to fall to a #4 role once people start to scrutinize him more.

Right now, by default, Brendan Witt is Washington's #1 defenseman. The respect of being #1 gives him an additional intangible value. Furthermore, him playing on a bad team allows people to overlook a lot of his faults.

The truth is, Witt is a big and rough defensive defenseman with size. But at the same time, he is slow and makes mistakes. I don't think he is anything more than a #3 defenseman on a decent team.

Pittsburgh probably wins this trade because they don't need Surovy and Fata but value-wise, this trade is fair. Fata and Surovy have explosive speeds and untapped offensive potential. They will thrive in the new NHL while Witt will be more likely to struggle. In conclusion however, I just don't see Washington making this deal unless Witt's contract is nearing termination.
I disagree somewhat. While I do agree that Witt is not God as some Caps fans, sorry mostly borro, have made him out to be, he is exactly what the Pens need. As is stands now the Caps are so far under the cap that they really don't need to trade him unless it's something attractive. Surovy and Fata are not those guys. If you wanted to offer something of substance like Welch or a first, then GM might listen.

08-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMU2

I"d hate to see Surovy go i really like him but he has not shot at our top 6 this year and will have a hard time cracking it in the near future so i think he is expandable, plus the caps need to get closer to the floor hence adding Fata. Plus Fata will atleast be able to play some quality minutes for you. The pens aquire a sold defensive d-man that they really need. Is this close at in value? I do think i heard Witt won't be traded though. Just throwing it out there
I'd do it. Just don't think the caps would do it ehh !!

Old
08-07-2005, 05:33 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:

Totally agree. Totally.

Old
08-07-2005, 05:58 AM
tom_servo

Quote:

Well, to me, a #4 defenseman on a good team is probably worth Surovy and Fata.

Old
08-07-2005, 08:17 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMU2

McPhee wanted two highly regarded defensive prospects for Witt during the 2004 trading deadline. I don't think he'd move one of two or three recognizable faces in Washington and his only established top 4 defenseman for fringe top 6 forwards. The Caps system has almost a dozen fringe prospects with as much or more potential as these two. If they were really that hard up they could sign almost any forward they want to some exorbitant contract- they just don't see the point.

The two things you have to assume McPhee doesn't want- overpaid aging stars, and mediocre prospects.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It appears unlikely that the Capitals will deal Witt this summer, given the dearth of veteran defensemen on the team. I would not be surprised if they dealt him at the trade deadline, although I suspect they will be able to get better quality than Surovy and Fata should they decide to do so. Even though I am personally far from Witt's biggest fan, he has more trade value than that.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Well, to me, a #4 defenseman on a good team is probably worth Surovy and Fata.
More than.

Old
08-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Some big names get traded for third rounders, and Witt would snatch Welch or a 1st rounder? Of course not.
That said, Surovy+Fata won't be enough. Though it could be a great deal for the Caps, with Surovy being such a natural scorer.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Looks like Witt is leaving the Caps reguardless...

Old
08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
More than.
Oh, definitely. I guess I just meant that the Pens would certainly give up Surovy and Fata for a player who's "only" a #4 on a good team.

Witt will fetch considerably more than that.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:51 AM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Some big names get traded for third rounders, and Witt would snatch Welch or a 1st rounder?
Actually, one big name had to be given away with a 3rd rounder just for the team to take him.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Steve Latin*

Morozov?

Old
08-09-2005, 02:49 AM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
Morozov?
Oh that's funny.

Yes, funny indeed.

I do say, that was a funny joke.

Ha Ha. Yes, quite a snippet if you ask me.

Old
08-09-2005, 03:00 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Yeah, but guys like Marchment, DeVries, and Rathje are pure gold. Feel the sarcasm. I just think alot of players on this board seem to under value certain veteran players and put too much stock in prospects. Then again, maybe I over rate so many players because I have seen them much more than some.

Alot of people seem to underate former Caps d-man Gonchar and current d-man Witt. Witt is a very good defenseman, maybe it will take a move out of Washington to show he true worth. He is a 1st pairing d-man on alot of clubs. Brings alot of grit to the ice along with that size, and is very under rated in the opponents end. Not a big point producer, but he doesn't turn the puck over like it's pancakes at IHOP (or at Tim Horton's for my Canadain bretheren...if they have flap jacks at that establishment). I have always liked the guy, so maybe I'm over-rating him. I concede that.

Sorry, Pens fans, you will have to give up something of worth if you want this guy. McPhee is not going to give him away.....i'm sure he can get a better deal at the trade deadline if no one wants to give up anything of value right now. Maybe Milan Kraft and picks?

Last edited by HughJass*: 08-09-2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old
08-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Orpik?...if he's still on the pens that is. It's been hard for me to keep up with all the changes in the past year.

Remember when trading NHL players for prospects, Witt is a proven physical, intimidating defensive and prospects are completely unproven. I agree that people generally put so much stock in prospects that their view of current effective players becomes skewed. Witt is (can be) a top notch physical dman. GMGM won't trade him unless we can get at least a semi-proven physical dman in return (like Orpik).

Old
08-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Jeff Goldblum

You can expect a semi proven defender. Just not one with Orpik's upside. Orpik will be as good as Witt by the end of the season anyway, if he isn't already. Makes no sense from the Pens side.

Closed Thread