HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Legault and Chad Schella fired.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2011, 08:06 AM
  #76
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
What is it that you are attempting to argue? That some people have knowledge of the situation and that you don't, so you act all skeptical? You think that lessens the message, or enhances yours?
I'll say this. The firings caught the players of guard and they are far from pleased
I am surprised you got to poll the players so quickly, specially since half the team is in Binghamton, and the others not around SBP for the most part.

Keep those rumours flowing though, what would the boards be without rumours.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:24 AM
  #77
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
What a joke. You want us to believe that a bunch of rookies are 'upset' that some guys, that most of them worked with for less than a year, were let go?

This team has one player that isn't expendable... Spezza... and considering we dumped all his NHL playing friends and he's still here I don't think he'd really cares.

The only other 2 players who really could speak up are Phillips, who should be happy he even got a new contract, and Alfie who will be playing his last year next year.

So please... tell us exactly which players are devastated?
I don't claim to have any knowledge of the situation but apparently Chad Schella is known league wide for his work with international players. There was a story that even when Volchenkov signed with New Jersey that he was in contact with Schella about helping him out in NJ. Also, to say that only 3 guys on the team could have an opinion is abit off base. How do you know that they have not personally helped out guys like Kuba, Gonchar, Anderson etc?

What LGSens said was that they were caught off guard and dissapointed, he never said they were going to holdout and ask for trades. Its the same sort of talk when a close friend and teamate gets traded.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:49 AM
  #78
LGSens
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Well if it wasn't management, that can only imply ownership, and we know how on the ball the Euge is.
Sorry, it would not have come from the hockey ops.

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:23 PM
  #79
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,903
vCash: 500
I have no clue why this happened now but my guess would be Melnyk bringing in his own people. He started CapitalTickets.ca & took the business away from Ticketmaster, he kicked out Marshys & put in Bert's Bar, he kicked out Orca I think it was for the concessions & took them over. I heard the Sens will be kicking out the YMCA at SBP at some point in future (2 yrs) & take over their space for something. Peice by peice he is taking everything over that will either make him money or save him money, that's how they get rich I guess & who can blame him?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:30 PM
  #80
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
I know Melnyk rescued the team, and as the owner he does have the right to run it as he sees fit, but the team is a gong show from top to bottom.

It's sad to see.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:03 PM
  #81
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I am not Glen Gower, but I do know him.
That was a joke, homeslice. Out of ANYONE here, I thought the guy with the trollface as his icon would have picked up on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
One more thing, all you people that could put together a much better game day production that love to post about it. Everything that you see in the arena is sponsored by a company.
Sponsored events / spots / whatever...they aren't negotiable. They happen because someone paid for it to happen. The team has 3 TV timeouts per period, the intermissions, and stoppages in play to get them all done.
I'd love any one of you to attempt to run a game.
You're 100% accurate here. Enjoy it, it might be the last time I agree with you on anything, ever. Speaking of which...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Then halve the number of spots and triple the price. How do you do that? Hire some people to create meaningful productions for these companies that people will actually remember. As it stands none of the in game entertainment/advertisement is worth paying attention to and I'm sure the companies pay accordingly.
This is not at all feasible. Unfortunately there is a ceiling as to what companies will pay for timeout/intermission advertising in Ottawa. The ads and "sponsored games" that run at the arena are pretty on par with almost every other arena in the league, save Toronto and Montreal, who have the population, rabid fanbase and a much larger corporate presence to draw from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I know Melnyk rescued the team, and as the owner he does have the right to run it as he sees fit, but the team is a gong show from top to bottom.

It's sad to see.
Nice try, Rod Bryden. I see what you're doing there.

Also: If you hate this organization so much, GTFO. Seriously, I'm sick of seeing you on these boards. If you're only ever going to run down the org and insist on running your mouth without substantiating anything you say with proof, fact, or even simple reason, you're not contributing to anything. Go troll the Panthers boards or something, I'm sure they'll be glad to have you.


Last edited by BonkTastic: 04-16-2011 at 01:09 PM.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:50 PM
  #82
blair7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
One more thing, all you people that could put together a much better game day production that love to post about it. Everything that you see in the arena is sponsored by a company.

Sponsored events / spots / whatever...they aren't negotiable. They happen because someone paid for it to happen. The team has 3 TV timeouts per period, the intermissions, and stoppages in play to get them all done.

I'd love any one of you to attempt to run a game.
What a terrible argument. If you can't do something better you can't criticize or have an opinion about it? By that logic if you aren't an NHL caliber player you shouldn't criticize professional hockey players. Or don't complain about Harper unless you'd be a better PM. Of course I couldn't 'run a game' better than Gower but it’s not my job to do so.

blair7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:08 PM
  #83
TeamRenzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Sorry kid, you don't know what you are talking about here. 2 good hard working men got released from their jobs. Obviously there is more to the story.
Not too often in life do people get fired for no good reason, being a good guy is not enough to keep your job.

I don't really think any of us know what we are talking about when it comes to these indivisuals being fired.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:11 PM
  #84
TeamRenzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Ok, first of all, I know for a fact that Glen Gower is not to blame for the Spartan debacle. I don't know who is to blame, all I know is that the production people had one thing planned, and at the last minute "someone from above" decided the Spartan thing was what they were going to do.

I don't know if it came from Melnyk, Mlakar....whoever, but it certainly was someone over Glen Gower's head.

Zultek I believe destroyed one or both of his knees and was never able to get his skating, which was already pretty terrible, back to pro calibre. He also made the terrible mistake of not signing a contract when he was L.A.'s 1st round pick, and then was drafted by Boston in 99. He's still kicking around in some minor league I have never heard of.

As ridiculous as Stevenson looks in that article, you can't take it too seriously. Zultek did look to be a prototypical power forward back then. These guys aren't journalists. They are writers.

Anyway I think it is sad that two guys lost their jobs and nobody knows why. Maybe a legitimate reason is there, who knows.

The Senators are a joke organization compared to how they used to be run. A lot of good people have been through the door. It's a stepping stone to better things. The best move on, and we get a 30 year loser as a GM signed to an extension.

Tough times.
Stevenson cam right out in the opening paragraph and stated that he had never heard of Hossa or seen him play, the article should have ended there. Don't write about it if you don't know what you are talking about!

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:11 PM
  #85
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 16,192
vCash: 500
My first order of business for running a game would be to hire ice girls hand picked by Craig Anderson, and then to get those new beer dispensers that fill the beer cups up from the BOTTOM.

I'd also put the hiring process up on Sens TV and Anderson, Ruutu, and Melnyk would be the judges. I dont care if Ruutu isnt on the team, Id still bring him on as a judge.


PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:18 PM
  #86
Caeldan
Moderator
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,419
vCash: 500
All bickering aside, are these actual firings or just contracts not being renewed [ie Clouston] as the media has a bad habit of misreporting changes like this.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:25 PM
  #87
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 24,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
Not too often in life do people get fired for no good reason, being a good guy is not enough to keep your job.

I don't really think any of us know what we are talking about when it comes to these indivisuals being fired.
Good reason maybe, but that's not to say it was something these guys could control. Budget cuts? The players don't have to be happy about it....and in someways, some of the vets may have a feeling of responsibility for it because a lot of the changes coming came as a result of a roster that failed.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:37 PM
  #88
LadyM
I ain't even mad
 
LadyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Bruce Garrioch via Twitter
Quote:
From what I'm hearing the departures from the Senators haven't stopped with @Legault_Phil and Chad Schella. What's going on?

LadyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:38 PM
  #89
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,114
vCash: 500
Garrioch Twitter
Quote:
From what I'm hearing the departures from the Senators haven't stopped with @Legault_Phil and Chad Schella. What's going on?
11 minutes ago via web

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:41 PM
  #90
Marble
Registered User
 
Marble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
Garrioch Twitter

11 minutes ago via web
Interesting stuff, especially after hearing about how well the Senators did in attendance this year. I'm sure as more people go we'll get more details as to why things are working out the way they are.

Phil Legault seems fine with it though. "@SensTown Thanks for the note. Keep supporting and commenting on the Sens. They will win the Cup and I'll be cheering. Your voice is heard."

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:46 PM
  #91
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
Garrioch Twitter
Quote:
From what I'm hearing the departures from the Senators haven't stopped with @Legault_Phil and Chad Schella. What's going on?
11 minutes ago via web
No one above Legault/Schella is gone, from what I've heard. Someone from the non-hockey events, maybe one or two others. I could be wrong though, I don't answer to any of the real bigwigs.

End of season performance reviews suck for any business that has a bad year. Hockey is usually no exception.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
  #92
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Put your pitch forks and torches away! Maybe it was just a business/professional decision and not a sign that this organization is SENSationally dysfunctional.

Phil Legault Twitter
@Legault_Phil
I get the feeling I'm getting more followers expecting a train wreck. Well, move along, nothing to see here.


It'd be nice to see some of the negative energy around here actually put towards supporting this team/organization. There isnt always "more to the story".


Last edited by Ohhh Franco: 04-16-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
  #93
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
I don't see why the fact that I think our GM is a tool and that our owner maybe a bit of a loose cannon is reason to "GTFO".

I am a fan of the team in spite of the management. Look at what Leafs fans endured during the Ballard years, or putting up with puppets like JFJ or the senile version of Cliff Fletcher.

Look at the Habs that had a merry-go-round of ex players either coaching or managing for years with less than stellar results.

It's my right as a fan to dislike moves that my team makes.
So eat it.


Last edited by danishh: 04-16-2011 at 11:06 PM.
John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:59 PM
  #94
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I don't see why the fact that I think our GM is a tool and that our owner maybe a bit of a loose cannon is reason to "GTFO".

I am a fan of the team in spite of the management. Look at what Leafs fans endured during the Ballard years, or putting up with puppets like JFJ or the senile version of Cliff Fletcher.

Look at the Habs that had a merry-go-round of ex players either coaching or managing for years with less than stellar results.

It's my right as a fan to dislike moves that my team makes.

So eat it.
I don't agree with all your posts but I respect your opinion & support your right to post what you like. Forums like this should be open to everyone. BTW Murray rocks but Eugene is a bit of a loose cannon, he can say some crazy ****. Rock on.


Last edited by danishh: 04-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:41 AM
  #95
SensHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I don't see why the fact that I think our GM is a tool and that our owner maybe a bit of a loose cannon is reason to "GTFO".

I am a fan of the team in spite of the management. Look at what Leafs fans endured during the Ballard years, or putting up with puppets like JFJ or the senile version of Cliff Fletcher.

Look at the Habs that had a merry-go-round of ex players either coaching or managing for years with less than stellar results.

It's my right as a fan to dislike moves that my team makes.
So eat it.
That's great but in one post you talk about how people shouldn't question Gower for his job unless they can do a better job themselves, i guess because you like him. In the next post you yourself question Eugene and BMurray, its ******** how you bounce around from one opinion to another just to suit your mood. Gower sucks at his job, deal with it.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:57 AM
  #96
HappyDude
Fire Cameron
 
HappyDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
My first order of business for running a game would be to hire ice girls hand picked by Craig Anderson, and then to get those new beer dispensers that fill the beer cups up from the BOTTOM.

I'd also put the hiring process up on Sens TV and Anderson, Ruutu, and Melnyk would be the judges. I dont care if Ruutu isnt on the team, Id still bring him on as a judge.

I hate it when servers touch the rim with their fingers.
Maybe this means melnyk will be taking over these jobs personally.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
  #97
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
Awwww...you edited out the best part.

Anyway, when Glen Glower's job has anything to do with the players, or the on ice product in any way, shape or form, I will definitely include him.

Really who cares about the game day production anyway? It's all ads and annoying gimmicks. An HD scoreboard or a different producer won't change that.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:49 AM
  #98
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Awwww...you edited out the best part.

Anyway, when Glen Glower's job has anything to do with the players, or the on ice product in any way, shape or form, I will definitely include him.

Really who cares about the game day production anyway? It's all ads and annoying gimmicks. An HD scoreboard or a different producer won't change that.
An HD scoreboard will change the ENTIRE game experience. Hell, even the players are watching the scoreboard whenever they aren't playing, I'm, sure they would love for a huge ass HD scoreboard as well. How can they see the replays with that crap we have now? Embarrassing.

It's 2011 and Scotiabank Place is stuck in the 90's

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.