HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Los Angeles Dodgers

Old
04-12-2011, 03:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Furcal out 4-6 weeks with a broken finger. I know he wasnt hitting but its a good thing we have some depth on the bench. I hope DeJesus or Gordon gets called up but it will probably be Castro.
He's not ready. Has struck out in about half of his ABs so far.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
He's not ready. Has struck out in about half of his ABs so far.
Im not even sure if he is on the 40 man, I would just rather see him then Castro. It looks like DeJesus is on his way up.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
no name

The Dodgers don't have any depth. I'm not sure why people here think that. They have backup OF starting in LF and backup infielders starting at second base. Every baseball guy has critisized the Dodgers backup options.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
The Dodgers don't have any depth. I'm not sure why people here think that. They have backup OF starting in LF and backup infielders starting at second base. Every baseball guy has critisized the Dodgers backup options.
Remember when the Dodgers used to crank out ROY's?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:08 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Remember when the Dodgers used to crank out ROY's?
I'm not bashing their prospect depth. The Dodgers just have a joke of an owner and a lemming GM. Theonly reason the Dodgers are even watchable are due to their developing from within.

If the Dodgers had not sold Carlos Santana to the Indians for 1.5 million dollars they would have a damn good young core. Santana is amazing.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

The Dodgers definitely have little to no depth at all and I honestly wonder if management believes they can win titles with a roster like this?

I mean, they aren't terrible, but there is a ton of room for improvement and for a team of LA's caliber, there is little excuse for this sort of thing.

That and they lost tonight after taking a 3-0 lead early. Gwynn Jr. made another of his superman catches and Kemp is padding my fantasy stats as always, but other than that the Giants just seemed to want it more.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:44 AM
21Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizer View Post
The Dodgers definitely have little to no depth at all and I honestly wonder if management believes they can win titles with a roster like this?

I mean, they aren't terrible, but there is a ton of room for improvement and for a team of LA's caliber, there is little excuse for this sort of thing.

That and they lost tonight after taking a 3-0 lead early. Gwynn Jr. made another of his superman catches and Kemp is padding my fantasy stats as always, but other than that the Giants just seemed to want it more.
Doesn't help when your starting pitcher craps himself for the second game in a row.

Dodgers missed a golden opportunity to hang a rare L on Lincecum.

21Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Two loses in a row to the Cards and tonight they allowed 11 runs. FML.

Atleast I have quite a few of the Angels players on my fantasy team and scored huge from them tonight. But damn, LA is just generally playing like crap lately. No drive or ambition.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:34 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
But damn, LA is just generally playing like crap lately. No drive or ambition.
... LOL!! don't they know there are only 146 or so games left in the season? MUST WIN GAMES NO LOSING STREAKS TOLERATED AMBITION HEART DESIRE GUTS NADS STONES ETC ETC ETC

They're just not a good team. They're fair to middling. Win a few, lose a few, likely end up 81-81. It has nothing to do with determination or grit or manliness or whatever. That's lazy analysis.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Ouch.

One would think that the pitching staff is going to come around and put up the numbers they usually do. We just need to score more then 2 runs a game for them when that starts happening.

Old
04-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
That's lazy analysis.
No, it's an observation from watching them play. They look like crap and only a few players seem to have their heads anywhere than up their rears.

Old
04-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Winger23

Quote:
... LOL!! don't they know there are only 146 or so games left in the season? MUST WIN GAMES NO LOSING STREAKS TOLERATED AMBITION HEART DESIRE GUTS NADS STONES ETC ETC ETC

They're just not a good team. They're fair to middling. Win a few, lose a few, likely end up 81-81. It has nothing to do with determination or grit or manliness or whatever. That's lazy analysis.
81-81 is being too nice. The only games that I would consider them favorites going into the game is when Kershaw is pitching. This includes games against the Nationals and Pirates. Ownership destroyed this team.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
No, it's an observation from watching them play. They look like crap and only a few players seem to have their heads anywhere than up their rears.
... In sports, you have your mules and you have your race horses, and you can kick a mule in the ass all you want and he won't become a race horse. The Dodgers' team currently consists of a few race horses (Kemp, Kershaw, Ethier) and a lot of mules. It isn't about a lack of "heart" or whatever lazy buzzword you want to apply, it's about a lack of talent.

Rod Barajas is a great example of the Dodgers. Barajas is a gamer. There isn't one game where he doesn't give all he has to give. The problem is that he doesn't have enough to give, at his age and at his talent level. He's a below-average player in relation to the rest of the league - and honestly, that's a charitable assessment. The Dodgers knew this (or should have known it) and yet they still pinned their hopes on him. The real problem lies with the management (or the mismanagement, if you prefer) of the team, not Rod Barajas.

Old
04-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Quote:
... In sports, you have your mules and you have your race horses, and you can kick a mule in the ass all you want and he won't become a race horse. The Dodgers' team currently consists of a few race horses (Kemp, Kershaw, Ethier) and a lot of mules. It isn't about a lack of "heart" or whatever lazy buzzword you want to apply, it's about a lack of talent.

Rod Barajas is a great example of the Dodgers. Barajas is a gamer. There isn't one game where he doesn't give all he has to give. The problem is that he doesn't have enough to give, at his age and at his talent level. He's a below-average player in relation to the rest of the league - and honestly, that's a charitable assessment. The Dodgers knew this (or should have known it) and yet they still pinned their hopes on him. The real problem lies with the management (or the mismanagement, if you prefer) of the team, not Rod Barajas.
You are correct in that it is lack of talent, but sometimes that lack of talent may come off as the team being 'lazy', 'slow' etc. They have a few really good players surrounded by a bunch of rookies and a bunch of 35+ yo's. You are correct, it is management and I've said before that a roster like this is completely unacceptable for a team like the Dodgers with their budget, fan base and history.

It's just frustrating when you watch for 2 hrs and see them get their rears handed to them by over 9 runs or whatnot and you know they could do so much better. Management is to blame, yeah, but it's still a piss off and some of that will undoubtedly rub off on the players, whether due to lack of talent or stamina due to age or due to the fact they are just beaten dogs.

Old
04-16-2011, 07:41 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I'm pretty much at the point where all I watch in relation to baseball is listen to the Dodgers affiliates online, and watch my fantasy players. This org is a joke.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Dodgers put Kuo on the DL today and recalled Troncoso.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Currently being hammered 6-1 by the Cards.

I bet they get double digits on the Dodgers again tonight. The game is just past half over, so it is a pretty good bet.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:36 AM
21Dog

I feel sorry for Vin.

21Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Dawdler

Dodgers call up Jerry Sands DFA Paul

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Finally a reason to watch games not started by Kershaw.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Dawdler

a double for Sands in his first at-bat, congrats Jerry

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Lilly pitched a solid game and they looked pretty decent for a team with no depth and a bunch of call up players on the field.

The little pitching battle was pretty funny. Sands hot a few head hunters thrown his way and right after Lilly threw the first pitch behind the Braves batters back, which got an immediate warning. Kemp came out of the dugout the first time Sands got a ball thrown at him, so it's nice to see the older players sticking up for the new kid.

I hope Kuroda notches up another W tomorrow night, although I'll be watching the Kings game live and just following the Dodgers on MLB gameday.

Old
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I agree with JT's analysis. You don't make the playoffs when you enter the season with holes at catcher, 3rd base, 2nd base and left field. This team gambled on dumpster divers and it's not paying off so far. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out though. The Dodgers are on the verge of being able to turn over a major portion of their roster and sign a guy like Pujols this winter. A bridge season?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I agree with JT's analysis. You don't make the playoffs when you enter the season with holes at catcher, 3rd base, 2nd base and left field. This team gambled on dumpster divers and it's not paying off so far. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out though. The Dodgers are on the verge of being able to turn over a major portion of their roster and sign a guy like Pujols this winter. A bridge season?
The only way that is remotely possible is if someone like Mark Cuban buys the team.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:56 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
The only way that is remotely possible is if someone like Mark Cuban buys the team.
... Now THAT would be a dream come true. But, I'm afraid that's just a dream - about as likely to happen as the O'Malley family buying the team again.