HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Could the US host the World Championship?

Old
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
nutbar

vCash: 500
Could the US host the World Championship?

Do you think the US could host the world championships? Obviously, not in a NHL market, but in a established minor pro or junior hockey city?

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

definitely not. this is a European tourney that simply has little to no luster here in the states. An amazing tourney like the WJC has a tough time in the states, this thing would flop on arrival.

The World Cup had solid attendance when that was here in 96, not sure about the 04 numbers, but a best on best tourney is the only way to go, and the WC is simply not that.

This thing wouldnt even fare well in Canada either, though it would be attended much better then here, it would still be considered a tourney below the WJC from fans.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
William H Bonney

Sure, they could but I don't think they'd be awarded it unless they basically hosted it near Canada like they do with the World Juniors and even then there are better options, such as just putting it in Canada or anywhere in Europe where it's infinitely more popular and recognized. We've only hosted it once, 1962, in Colorado Springs/Denver.

It's a tournament that's barely recognized within USA Hockey circles and infinitely less so with American hockey fans. Add in that USA Hockey has been notoriously awful at getting players to commit to the tournament and I don't see it all coming together for the IIHF to even consider us getting the tournament. Maybe that will change in time enough for the IIHF to consider since they already have the next 5 hosts booked in Slovakia, Finland/Sweden, Sweden/Finland, Belarus, and the Czech Republic but consider me highly doubtful.

We're probably one of the least attractive host options they have and add in that it's during the NHL Playoffs, NBA Playoffs, and the first month of the MLB Season, the first two unpredictable variables, and it could be a recipe for disaster. I can't imagine we could support the tournament enough for it to be worthwhile for USA Hockey to bid or the IIHF to award it unless it was a joint adventure with Hockey Canada, much like Finland and Sweden are doing in 2012/2013 except there's no incentive for Hockey Canada to do that, and there's a lot of risk with awarding it to a city close to Canada since all the feasible locations have those unaccountable variables that can't be known when you award the tournament. Say they award it to Chicago and the Blackhawks, Bulls, White Sox, and Cubs are all playing during the tournament. You could have the same issues to varying degrees in Detroit, Buffalo, etc. It wouldn't work in any NHL city if there team was still in it at the time of the tournament. And outside of cities in close proximity to Canada, it probably wouldn't work at all, regardless if their NHL team was still in it or if they even had one at all.

We don't have an established minor or junior hockey city that even knows much about the tournament let alone would definitely support a tournament of mostly second and third rate NHLers. Other than a joint bid between say Grand Forks and Winnipeg, or maybe Minneapolis/St. Paul, I don't see any options, and even those wouldn't be preferable to keeping it in any number of European locations or Canada.

01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
PaulieVegas

We could host it...if you like empty arenas and having more people on the ice than in the stands.

Would be a huge failure here. I'm not sure you could give away tickets. Unless it's best-on-best with NHL players and in an NHL market, I don't think any tournament (juniors, women, worlds) will be a success in the US at this point. And yes, I know attendance at the recent juniors in Buffalo was high, but that was more due to having Canadians making the journey to watch games, which I doubt they'd do for the worlds.

Meanwhile, Euros love the tournament, so let them host it. My wife is from Slovakia and I can tell you it was a national holiday there when they won in 2004. Her grandfather even postponed emergency surgery so he could watch the gold medal game. Think many North Americans would do that?

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

I don't know if it would be a failure as far as attendance. The World Cup has drawn pretty well in the past (04 and 96).

The issue is timing and building availability. The NHL and NBA playoffs lockup all the viable buildings. Get outside those cities (especially the NHL ones) and you probably have interest problems.

If they were in September I think the US could be a host. Not in May though.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
I don't know if it would be a failure as far as attendance. The World Cup has drawn pretty well in the past (04 and 96).

The issue is timing and building availability. The NHL and NBA playoffs lockup all the viable buildings. Get outside those cities (especially the NHL ones) and you probably have interest problems.

If they were in September I think the US could be a host. Not in May though.
Arena availability is definitely a big problem, but college arenas offer an easy way around it (and places with college hockey should provide the requisite interest level). There are few that are big enough (Ohio State, Wisconsin, North Dakota off the top of my head) where you can get enough attendance from USA and Canada games (you'll get enough of those fans to travel to fill an arena) to offset the low attendance from low profile matches to make it profitable. Plus there's an empty building in Kansas City that could be used too.

I think it could be pulled off.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:54 AM
BigEyedPhish

I would think if it was marketed right, Minneapolis could, same could be said about New York City probably.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:06 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
I would think if it was marketed right, Minneapolis could, same could be said about New York City probably.
Minnesota i have no doubts could do a good job ny i am not sure about it would take alot and i mean alot of marketing.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Congo

They might be able to pull it off by hosting it in one of the American WHL locations. I think that Portland could be able to pull it off. Definitely not Spokane though.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

No. The US and Canada games might get some decent crowds but what about the others?

It would be pretty embarassing.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
v-man

What's the point of even trying? As we saw with the WJC, the interest in international hockey in the States outside of the Olympics is next to zero. Why put it in the States just for the sake of putting it in the States. There are always three or four Euro countries battling it out, where the IIHF knows it will be successful and make $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
This thing wouldnt even fare well in Canada either, though it would be attended much better then here, it would still be considered a tourney below the WJC from fans.
It did just fine three years ago in Halifax and Quebec City. I believe it's the third highest ranking tournament based on attendance. As someone who's been to both Worlds and World Juniors (both here and in Europe), I can tell you outright that the WC is a much better time. It's two weeks of hockey and nothing but hockey, with fans from all over the world wearing their jerseys day in and day out, partying with each other and celebrating the game. The WJCs end once the horn blows. Sure, you'll get some Canadian fans partying with other Canadian fans, but it's very much a domestic tournament and not nearly as much fun as the World Championship. Most Canadians might very well consider it below the WJC, but they'd be wrong.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
definitely not. this is a European tourney that simply has little to no luster here in the states. An amazing tourney like the WJC has a tough time in the states, this thing would flop on arrival.

The World Cup had solid attendance when that was here in 96, not sure about the 04 numbers, but a best on best tourney is the only way to go, and the WC is simply not that.

Not true at all.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote