HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minnesota re-signs Mitchell

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 7757
Minnesota re-signs Mitchell

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

Old
08-09-2005, 08:48 AM
ktownhockey

vCash: 500
I don't know about anyone else but don't you think Willie Mitchell is a pretty good D man. I think he's highly underrated. The way he played in the 2003 playoffs was incredible. I didn't get to see him much in 03-04. Can anyone give me an update on his progression?

Thanks in advance!!

Old
08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
That playoff run was definitely a career highlight for Mitchell - he played pretty well in 03-04 as I recall. Led the team in +/-. He fits nicely in the top 4 defensively for the Wild.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:06 AM
BINGOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey
I don't know about anyone else but don't you think Willie Mitchell is a pretty good D man. I think he's highly underrated. The way he played in the 2003 playoffs was incredible. I didn't get to see him much in 03-04. Can anyone give me an update on his progression?

Thanks in advance!!
I concur. Mitchell's defensive awareness and style is akin to S. Hannan. Only recently has Hannan's defensive prowess been recognized and rewarded (I.e. Team Canada). Whilst, I don't expect Mitchell to breakout and score 15 goals, I also believe he has some untapped offensive upside.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Realm

another dumb move by the CHEAP Wild, signing this guy to only a 1 year deal.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:22 AM
BINGOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm
another dumb move by the CHEAP Wild, signing this guy to only a 1 year deal.
Agreed. Will that make him a UFA next year? I'm surprised they didn't lock him up for at 3/yr deal.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Realm

He is 28 years old next summer he will be a unrestricted free agent I believe.

Last edited by Realm: 08-09-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
ceber

I sometimes wonder if the people who rate Mitchell very highly see him more than few times a season. IMO he's not all that special, and I'd be very surpised if he had any untapped offensive potential. He works hard, and when he keeps his game simple he is effective. During his highlight 02-03 playoffs he gave the Canucks a prime scoring chance that lead to a goal by taking himself right out of the play to make a hit. He was definitely a warrior but was also not flawless. He fits in well with the Wild, but I'm not so sure he'd be as effective in another system. If other GMs feel the same way some NHL fans do, I think he'd be a good trade candidate. Just MO.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I sometimes wonder if the people who rate Mitchell very highly see him more than few times a season. IMO he's not all that special, and I'd be very surpised if he had any untapped offensive potential. He works hard, and when he keeps his game simple he is effective. During his highlight 02-03 playoffs he gave the Canucks a prime scoring chance that lead to a goal by taking himself right out of the play to make a hit. He was definitely a warrior but was also not flawless. He fits in well with the Wild, but I'm not so sure he'd be as effective in another system. If other GMs feel the same way some NHL fans do, I think he'd be a good trade candidate. Just MO.
No, he is not an offensive threat but he can clear out in front of the net very well and he isnt terrible with the puck. He is a very good defensive defenseman.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:56 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm
No, he is not an offensive threat but he can clear out in front of the net very well and he isnt terrible with the puck. He is a very good defensive defenseman.
Take out the two "very"s and put "as long as he doesn't have to touch it too much" after "puck" and I agree completely.

Closed Thread