HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Sharks Game #2 - 4/16/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-17-2011, 12:11 AM
SLang

vCash: 500
Also a shout out to Martinez.....didn't let the end of game 1 get into his head at ALL. He just went out and played his game. What an awesome surprise he's been this season.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Let's all take a moment to show some appreciation for Dean Lombardi. Remember when everyone laughed at him for signing Scuderi and Mitchell both for 3mill+ per year? Or when he "reached" for guys like Clifford and Simmonds in the second round? Even the Penner trade, how often do teams trade for someone and they're completely out of place? Penner hasn't exactly been lights out, far from it, actually, but Dean didn't give up much to get him and he has fit in the system perfectly, and a good contract to go with it.This team has a lot of character and is built to win in the playoffs, and Dean deserves a whole lot of credit...

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wooty

I think you reward the people who have given the effort and have won.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Herby
Culture Changer

Westgarth has been better than Poni. But I really think TM is going to take out Moller.

Smyth had his best game with Lewis because Lewis is a much much smarter player than Stoll. Smyth and Stoll are awful together because neither one can read the play.

Keep Lewis up and let Stoll center Poni and Westgarth. It's just better for everyone else.

And for the love of god please keep Stoll off the PP!

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:12 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Pastry View Post
are you serious... yes demers could have been suspended but you honestly dont think stoll should have been... i know he isnt a dirty player but it was still his forearm to the head... a game was a good call he didnt mean to do it but he did it...

maybe i am misreading your post... which is a good chance i am very drunk right now... thanks to my awesome sharks...
No. I was fine with Stoll being suspended, but Demers should have been as well.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
People will say Quick didnt face many touch chances tonight. Which he didnt on the grand scheme of things, but he also didnt give up any major rebounds. He was able to control everything, was out aggresively around traffic, just looked really good and composed out there.

I dont know if its the Kings pk, but i dont get how this sharks pp unit scored at such a good rate purely because they have noone in front of the net. Quick pretty much has a clear line of sight on all of the action
I am loving Quick's game. Don't want to jinx it, but I am seeing an improved goaltender compared to last season's series vs the Canucks. Honestly I can't fault a single thing he did tonight. He was dialed in, calm and in charge all the way through, and defended his crease beautifully. I especially liked how he owned all loose pucks in traffic tonight. He is outplaying Niemi - no question whatsoever there. If he keeps playing like this the Sharks are in trouble - I mean REAL trouble

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Omni Owl

Man the Sharks looked terrible, they're going to try and prove something for game 3.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
no name

"Whistles go wooo woooo"

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

With the way Eager Mayers Clowe are playing, Westgarth has to stay in the lineup. Moller proved he is capable but Westgarth is playing solidly right now and provides a bit of a deterrent. If he wasn't playing Clifford would have to do all the dirty work and he's playing too well to put that on him.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Wooty

I like the fact that nobody will take on Westgarth. That is a huge advantage especially if he is getting regular (4th line) time.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I still have no concept how Stoll was suspended. HE NEVER TOUCHED WHITES HEAD. He merely pinned White to the boards and unfortunatly White hit his head, but it was in no way Stoll's fault. He might have hit a little harder than he needed to pin but he did not put the shoulder down or throw a real hit. Stoll got punished for the result not the act, imo. Which is completely the wrong way to punish. This happens many times a game, just so happened that White got hurt on this particular play.
fair enough not the way i see it... but i dont want to turn a pgt into a past matter... agree to disagree...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Man the Sharks looked terrible, they're going to try and prove something for game 3.
Just seems like the Kings are suffocating the Sharks with perfect system play and not allowing players like Thornton or Marleau ANY room to set up and make their plays. If they keep that up they actually can win this series. The Kings are a big physical team (contrary to what Johnny Utah will have you believe) and they are punishing the Sharks and need to keep it up.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Pastry View Post
fair enough not the way i see it... but i dont want to turn a pgt into a past matter... agree to disagree...
see below

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Watch the third angle, you can clearly see his forearm hit him in the head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szlo7...eature=related
That is the first time I have seen this angle. Ok, for sure Stoll does hit him in the head. White did move down at the last second, but even so it was head. I will for sure soften my stance, it very might have been deserved.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 AM
tantrum4*

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:18 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. One game at a time. The Sharkies will come back bitter and ready so we got to get another effort like tonight to take another.

Danish, thanks for the calm approach. Both deserved a game and its over.

Moller had a good game but I can't see TM keeping Westgarth out of the line up. Either way we will be solid.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

We were heckled some but overall no probs. We shouted and we know the boys heard us. Awesome game to go to here. We got the split I knew we would
Go KINGS GO!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Wooty

Penner did seem to be more present towards the 2nd half of that game as well! I wish he would hit more

Old
04-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Penner - Handzus - Williams
Smyth - Lewis - Brown
Clifford - Richardson - Simmonds
Moller - Stoll - Westgarth

Scratch: Poni

Poni and Moller could swap. I think Westgarth deserves to stay in the lineup.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:21 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post

Ok, saw it there, first time seeing the play from that angle.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I like the fact that nobody will take on Westgarth. That is a huge advantage especially if he is getting regular (4th line) time.
He has been a good deterrent. For once I'm going to buy into the deterrent argument everyone likes to use for the regular season. There are multiple Sharks players who seem like they want to take liberties. Usually those 4th line guys wind up on the ice at the same time as him, and they aren't doing anything overboard. Instead they're taking stupid slashing penalties and things like that while Westgarth is not.

And if something actually does happen, the best way to stem the tide of positive momentum for San Jose would be for Westgarth to pound whoever actually takes that next step into mush. There is nobody on that team who wants to fight him. Plus, it's hard to find heavyweights who can actually play playoff hockey and make themselves useful in a non-fighting capacity and Westgarth has done that.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ollie Weeks

I'd try Moller instead of Westgarth next game. No knock on Westy, who's played pretty well, but we've got the momentum, the intensity, the desire, none of which will be diminished by a slight drop-off in size. Love to see a bit more skill from that 4th line, for at least a game or so and see how it goes.

Btw, huge games from Smyth and Handzus tonight, the vets are stepping up when we need them the most!

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:22 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Penner did seem to be more present towards the 2nd half of that game as well! I wish he would hit more
PS - Love, Love , Love the avatar!!!

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
That is a wish that will go unfilled. Despite Penner's relative lack of speed, he is creasting the chances off the rush like the almost chip past Niemi tonight which I like. I am hoping he can be a little more effective in the cycle game actually. I think Kopitar is going to be the perfect center for him next year actually. Unfortunatly that will not help in these playoffs.

Old
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Penner - Handzus - Williams
Smyth - Lewis - Brown
Clifford - Richardson - Simmonds
Moller - Stoll - Westgarth

Scratch: Poni
Not gonna happen, you know that, first of all Brown will skate with Handzus and Penner, and Williams will be with Stoll and Smyth.

I don't see sitting Ponikarovsky in a physical series for Moller, that makes absolutely no sense.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Just seems like the Kings are suffocating the Sharks with perfect system play and not allowing players like Thornton or Marleau ANY room to set up and make their plays. If they keep that up they actually can win this series. The Kings are a big physical team (contrary to what Johnny Utah will have you believe) and they are punishing the Sharks and need to keep it up.
100% agree... i said going in this would be a hard series... its is and has always been the sharks 2nd and 3rd lines that will have to carry the team against defensive teams... but the kings right now are playing great all around team d...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote