HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Sharks Game #2 - 4/16/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Wooty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
PS - Love, Love , Love the avatar!!!
He likes to whistle!

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:24 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
He likes to whistle!
LOL!

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
I'd try Moller instead of Westgarth next game. No knock on Westy, who's played pretty well, but we've got the momentum, the intensity, the desire, none of which will be diminished by a slight drop-off in size. Love to see a bit more skill from that 4th line, for at least a game or so and see how it goes.

Btw, huge games from Smyth and Handzus tonight, the vets are stepping up when we need them the most!
More skill on the 4th line means less size, and could end up with Eager planting someone's head in the glass. Sit Poni, play Moller, keep Westgarth. At least I would. If Poni isn't going to hit like he did in Game 1 he's useless.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Wooty

It is a hard choice, Poni was not super visible this game but he can bring more size plus he did nothing wrong.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. One game at a time. The Sharkies will come back bitter and ready so we got to get another effort like tonight to take another.
I agree. The Kings were up 2-1 and 20 minutes away from a 3-1 series lead last season and lost in six games. I expect the Kings to have learned from that and know how much more effort is needed to close out a series.

I'm encouraged because the Kings just dominated a playoff game for 60 minutes. They never shut the Canucks down like this last season. I expected a huge third period from the Sharks and the Kings just smothered them.

Mitchell >>>>>>>> Randy Jones.

If Doughty can keep his game simple and get shots through, the Kings could have a chance.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:27 AM
KnightyKnight

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KnightyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:28 AM
tantrum4*

Sorry to say guys, but Moller is just too light out there. He was getting knocked around all night. I love the kid and want him to do well, but his skill he brings just doesn't outweigh how bad he gets manhandled out there. He isn't going to be a factor for us in these playoffs

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Not gonna happen, you know that, first of all Brown will skate with Handzus and Penner, and Williams will be with Stoll and Smyth.

I don't see sitting Ponikarovsky in a physical series for Moller, that makes absolutely no sense.
Come on man. Smyth clearly plays much better with Lewis as his center. Smyth's two best games over the past about 4 months were when he was on a line with Lewis.

TM keeps trying to force Smyth and Stoll together and there is just no chemistry. I really hope tonight opened up his eyes.

The 4th line is playing a ton and Stoll has always played better on the bottom lines where there isn't offensive pressure.

What is so bad about a Poni- Stoll- Westgarth line?

I think you waaaaaay overrate what Stoll brings to the table. I'll give you faceoffs, but in other facets of the game he is simply a bottom line player. I know it's only one game but the Kings didn't seem to miss a beat without him. The PP is worlds better without him and Smyth was at a much higher level [laying with a smart player like Lewis.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
More skill on the 4th line means less size, and could end up with Eager planting someone's head in the glass. Sit Poni, play Moller, keep Westgarth. At least I would. If Poni isn't going to hit like he did in Game 1 he's useless.
The Kings PP is their enforcer.

I wouldn't sit Poni, he's strong on the forecheck and great on the PK. Moller or Westgarth is the only choice and I'm fine with either choice.

Kings were 40% on the face-offs without Stoll. They were much stronger after the first period, but Stoll is huge for the Kings.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish Pastry View Post
100% agree... i said going in this would be a hard series... its is and has always been the sharks 2nd and 3rd lines that will have to carry the team against defensive teams... but the kings right now are playing great all around team d...
They sure are. To be honest, as the Sharks are second favorite team so I can see the games from their perspective as well, I would be dissapointed in the play of Pavelski. He had the ot winner in game 1, but otherwise has been completely absent. The Sharks seem to be intimidated by LA's size, IMO. There was one play in game where a shot was taken, Niemi covered and Brown came in super late and snowed the goalie. I watched 5 Sharks skate away. You cannot back down like that. That seemed to carry over to tonight. Losing puck battles, slashing, etc they did not want to confront Kings directly but rather throw tantrums when things didn't go their way.

We'll see if the Sharks can get their heads back on straight by game 3. Sharks are veteran team and they know what is at stake for an organization that has perenially dissapointed in playoffs, even after a decent run last year. Game 3 will be huge. Sharks will come out firing that's for sure.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:31 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I like the fact that nobody will take on Westgarth. That is a huge advantage especially if he is getting regular (4th line) time.
I'm not a fan of dressing a goon but Westy has played well. Tonight was probably one of his best games as a King. That said, I don't think anyone is afraid of taking on Westgarth. I just don't think they see the point. They're going to target Clifford and Simmer because those are Top 9 guys that would be good tradeoffs for San Jose. The Sharks would love to put Clifford/Simmer in the box for 5 minutes at the expense of Eager/Mayers. We lose that tradeoff and take a big hit in our toughness, agitation, and grit in our Top 9 while they're in the sin bin. There's an upside to San Jose fighting those two. With Westy there isn't and they're treating him as such.

To Westy's credit, he's recognized that so far and hasn't gone over the top trying to bait anyone either. The 3rd period tonight was a great example. After a Niemi stop, the Sharks were going after Lewis in the scrum and Westy calmly wrapped up 2 or 3 Sharks and negated their aggression directed at Trevor. Granted, the comfortable score helped but normally Westy would have come out of that with the only penalty because he's desperate to try and start something. It was small but important.

04-17-2011, 01:32 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Come on man. Smyth clearly plays much better with Lewis as his center. Smyth's two best games over the past about 4 months were when he was on a line with Lewis.

TM keeps trying to force Smyth and Stoll together and there is just no chemistry. I really hope tonight opened up his eyes.

The 4th line is playing a ton and Stoll has always played better on the bottom lines where there isn't offensive pressure.

I think you waaaaaay overrate what Stoll brings to the table. I know it's only one game but the Kings didn't seem to miss a beat. The PP is worlds better without him and Smyth was at a much higher level.
You misunderstood me, I don't think there's anything wrong with a Poni-Stoll-Westy line, I think it strengthens it.

I just don't know if Murray agrees, and chemistry is overrated, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, yes, today's game, not so much anymore, it's nice when you find it, but today's game is more about being interchangeable within the system,

Which is why I think you saw a Kings team tonight that didn't miss a beat without Stoll...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:32 AM
KingLB

This is the first time the Kings have scored more than 2 goals since Kopi went down(without a empty netter).....

And with the way Clowe was going after DD early, plus Mayers/Eager being unpredictable, Westgarth has to play the rest of the series. Last thing you need is another Downie incident.....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Mitchell >>>>>>>> Randy Jones.
Great. Now those nightmares are going to start back up.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

The Richardson line reminds me of the Millen line. Speed with tenacious wingers. I'm so impressed with Clifford.

Clifford and Simmonds are going to be a huge advantage against other teams third lines for many years. Dean is the King of the second round.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

not sure if its a good sign that the kings are so dependent on D scoring to win games..since they typicallly dont score that much anyways

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
not sure if its a good sign that the kings are so dependent on D scoring to win games..since they typicallly dont score that much anyways
It's not sustainable, but at least for tonight, it was perfect.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
If San Jose is going to keep screwing up and not pressure the point like every other team in the league does then the system is going to work. Look for SJ to be more active up top shutting the Kings down unless they move the puck down low.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:46 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

A few random notes and thoughts:

Best of 5 series now. 3 games of 5 at Staples. Huge win.

Random stat of the night: Since 1987, Kings are 6-6 all time in playoff series when tied 1-1.

When Doughty scores - the Kings win hockey games. I'll have to check stats to confirm, but I believe the Kings are 11-0 this season when Doughty scores a goal.

Mr. pushover Oscar Moller was screening Niemi in front of the blue paint when Doughty made it 3-0. His heart and mind are willing even if his body isn't.

Doughty and Johnson the keys to winning this series. Mitchell and Scuderi are the enablers.

Defense trumps offense over the long haul every time.

Terry Murray put on a road coaching clinic tonight.

Joe Thornton is -23 in his playoff career.

The Kings defense made the Sharks look downright silly...and the Sharks got the last change.

Quick is the man.

I'd imagine the Sharks board is imploding right about now. For good reason.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Frustrated, and disappointed. Best of 5 now. Time for us to rebound and show what we are made of. Stay behind us fans!

Tweet From Logan.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:54 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I am happy that everyone else is getting to see the Kevin Westgarth that I saw way back when and believed would be a solid NHL player. Give him more than 2 mins a game and he steps up to the challenge. More than your average cement head. Not playing as well yet as I expected of him yet but he is earning the right to get the time to prove himself and in time I think he will.
Gotta admit I have been pleasantly surprised by his performance thus far. He is complementing his linemates well and has been pretty good positionally in his own end.

Great effort overall by the entire team over the last 5 periods of hockey.

San Jose can and will play much better in this series as it moves forward though, so the Kings are going to have to eliminate a few of the dumb penalties they took in game 1.

Just imagine though had Lombardi called up Schenn this game would have been 8-0 and San Jose likely would have forfeited the remaining games in the series. Man this team has so much heart even Dean can't sabotage them. (That was in no way directed at you tg, but some folks might want to leave the GMing to the GM.)

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:56 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Defense trumps offense over the long haul every time.

Terry Murray put on a road coaching clinic tonight.

Quick is the man.
Wait, what? What? No way!!

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:58 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

TSN highlights and postgame interviews from both the Kings and Sharks are here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362573

It's really a bummer Versus isn't simulcasting the TSN feed of the game and instead using the Sharks feed for fans outside of LA. TSN's productions are first rate. At least you can see their highlights.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:00 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
To Westy's credit, he's recognized that so far and hasn't gone over the top trying to bait anyone either. The 3rd period tonight was a great example. After a Niemi stop, the Sharks were going after Lewis in the scrum and Westy calmly wrapped up 2 or 3 Sharks and negated their aggression directed at Trevor. Granted, the comfortable score helped but normally Westy would have come out of that with the only penalty because he's desperate to try and start something. It was small but important.
This play was exactly what I liked. He made himself a presence and basically said to the Sharks that if they want to get tough, they are going to do it with him. He didn't draw a penalty and he did nothing but let the Sharks know that he was there.

This is his role and he has not made any mistakes that I noticed.

Old
04-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

I think you waaaaaay overrate what Stoll brings to the table. I'll give you faceoffs, but in other facets of the game he is simply a bottom line player. I know it's only one game but the Kings didn't seem to miss a beat without him. The PP is worlds better without him and Smyth was at a much higher level [laying with a smart player like Lewis.
Stoll is not an all star but he doesn't do anything wrong. Over all he brings good things on the ice. I am not sure why you are so hard on him. Players only need to do their role in the system and he seems to do that.