HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF #3 - 04.17.2011 | Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers | 3:00 PM - NBC (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2011, 10:17 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

vCash: 500
Unfortunately this is a DVR game for me. Going to try insulate myself from any info on the game till I get to watch it later today. Of course that doesn't always work out.

The Garden and the Rangers better be rockin'! LGR!

Old
04-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers dropped the first 2 games in the Buffalo series in 2007. Looked out of place but turned it around. This series reminds me of that series. Won game 3 in double OT on Rozsival's goal. Won game 4. Should have won game 5. Tyutin was 2 strides way from the red line and he iced the puck. Drury scored and Buffalo later win the game in OT with Betts in the box.

Rangers came out hard and physical in game 3. It was also a Sunday NBC game. It is a series. The Rangers need to take more liberties with the Caps top players. Finish Green every time. Hit him hard. Green has concussion issues. Go after him. Even Semin. You hit those guys early. They'll melt into the ice.

In one of those scrums,smack Ovechkin in the mouth. Grab him by his sweater and scrape his head into the ice. He runs around hitting people and where's Matt Cooke when he you need him. Cooke kneed him this season and for once Cooke was right.
The Rangers have been too careful not to take penalties I think. If the end of game 2 is anything more than frustration bubbling to the surface, it seems like they may have had enough of tip-toeing around.

Old
04-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Ranger109

Drove into the city to pick my brother up from his cruise, beautiful day and LETS GO RANGERS!

-Jason

Old
04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Leetch66

Wanna send a message...keep Gabby or another softie type out of the game and insert a 20 year old or a willing guy that is energetic and can take a couple of swings at Ovie or Green and see what happens after that...things might get real interesting and we have nothing to lose by playing old time hockey since our soft approach is just not cutting it !

I'm sure a Cap player will jump in and the worse that might come of it is a minor penalty . Ovie and the rest are feeding off the free runs at Staal and the rest of our pivotal players and we are not responding . We simply have to resort to Goon type tactics to change the momentum of the series or it is over in 4 . I'm not saying to kill anybody...just display a little nastiness towards Ovie & Semin and crew . We have to wallow in the muck and win this next game by all means necessary .

Old
04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Got engaged last night. Headed to NY for Game 3. Hoping a win caps off this fantastic weekend. Play hard and score some goals. Let's Go Rangers!!!
Congrats! Hopefully you and your new fiancee bring the Rangers luck today.

I really don't think we have played badly the first two games. We had a couple of lapses and the Caps made us pay. Which is what good teams do.

The Garden is going to be rocking to start this game. We have to get off to a good start and ride the wave of emotion. When we got swept by the Devils a few years ago I was at Game 3 at the Garden after the Rangers lost the first two. It was when Jagr had hurt his shoulder in game 2 and was unsure if he would play. As they were announcing the healthy scratches they didn't name Jagr and the place went insane. It continued all through the start of the game. The game starts and Jagr played one shift, re-injured his shoulder and the Devils score and it was a giant stomach punch to the entire crowd and the place was a morg the rest of the way. Moral of the story, score first.

Old
04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quick question: Are the same refs assigned to the whole series or just induvidual games?

Old
04-17-2011, 11:31 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Congrats! Hopefully you and your new fiancee bring the Rangers luck today.

I really don't think we have played badly the first two games. We had a couple of lapses and the Caps made us pay. Which is what good teams do.

The Garden is going to be rocking to start this game. We have to get off to a good start and ride the wave of emotion. When we got swept by the Devils a few years ago I was at Game 3 at the Garden after the Rangers lost the first two. It was when Jagr had hurt his shoulder in game 2 and was unsure if he would play. As they were announcing the healthy scratches they didn't name Jagr and the place went insane. It continued all through the start of the game. The game starts and Jagr played one shift, re-injured his shoulder and the Devils score and it was a giant stomach punch to the entire crowd and the place was a morg the rest of the way. Moral of the story, score first.
Been saying this since the series began. The difference in playing with the lead vs. playing from behind is huge. I really think the Rangers can do something good this afternoon if they get on the scoreboard first.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:39 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Been saying this since the series began. The difference in playing with the lead vs. playing from behind is huge. I really think the Rangers can do something good this afternoon if they get on the scoreboard first.
Yeah, I mean if they only could have scored first and gotten the lead in game 1, imagine how differently that might have turned out.

all joking aside, with the way the rangers have been playing, if they don't score early the crowd will be out of it fast.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Wanna send a message...keep Gabby or another softie type out of the game and insert a 20 year old or a willing guy that is energetic and can take a couple of swings at Ovie or Green and see what happens after that...things might get real interesting and we have nothing to lose by playing old time hockey since our soft approach is just not cutting it ! .
I've thought about this but I keep hoping Gab will show something. I would sit out EC.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Yeah, I mean if they only could have scored first and gotten the lead in game 1, imagine how differently that might have turned out.

all joking aside, with the way the rangers have been playing, if they don't score early the crowd will be out of it fast.
That's what I'm talking about. And in Game 1, when they did score first, the game was more winnable in my opinion than game 2 where they never lead or even scored at all.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Wanna send a message...keep Gabby or another softie type out of the game and insert a 20 year old or a willing guy that is energetic and can take a couple of swings at Ovie or Green and see what happens after that...things might get real interesting and we have nothing to lose by playing old time hockey since our soft approach is just not cutting it !

I'm sure a Cap player will jump in and the worse that might come of it is a minor penalty . Ovie and the rest are feeding off the free runs at Staal and the rest of our pivotal players and we are not responding . We simply have to resort to Goon type tactics to change the momentum of the series or it is over in 4 . I'm not saying to kill anybody...just display a little nastiness towards Ovie & Semin and crew . We have to wallow in the muck and win this next game by all means necessary .
i am not here to troll your thread. you guys have fun with the game. i am not here to mess things up for you.

i did want to advise you against going out of your way particularly in some cheap dirty way to get ovechkin. if you do that, be sure to put him in the hospital when you try.
ovechkin's history is full of games where the opposition succeded in hurting him but didnt get him out of the game. the result was OV beat them single handedly.

you may remember the game where he was cut with high sticks twice for stitches and had his nose broken by a hit vs montreal. he ended up scoring 4 goals in that game. also remember colton orr's rather brutal crosscheck in the end where ov didnt miss a shift and orr was suspended.

anyway....have fun. it should be a tight game

Old
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am not here to troll your thread. you guys have fun with the game. i am not here to mess things up for you.

i did want to advise you against going out of your way particularly in some cheap dirty way to get ovechkin. if you do that, be sure to put him in the hospital when you try.
ovechkin's history is full of games where the opposition succeded in hurting him but didnt get him out of the game. the result was OV beat them single handedly.

you may remember the game where he was cut with high sticks twice for stitches and had his nose broken by a hit vs montreal. he ended up scoring 4 goals in that game. also remember colton orr's rather brutal crosscheck in the end where ov didnt miss a shift and orr was suspended.

blah blah blah, we know ovechkin is god and no one can stop him....

unless it is the league suspending him for his dirty hits.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Leetch66

Quote:

No problem...I don't consider your reply anywhere near trolling , in fact I appreciate your response . Actually after thinking about things along those lines...I would specifically target the trio of Green/Semin/Backstrom right from the puck drop and not let up . The key is having a couple of skirmishes on the go at once...but the Rangers seem to have a lot of players skating outside them circles when it looks messy . Some guys on the Rangers need to step up the nastiness levels to outright bad !

Old
04-17-2011, 12:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
blah blah blah, we know ovechkin is god and no one can stop him....

unless it is the league suspending him for his dirty hits.
well...ok. take it that way if you'd rather. route for him to pile drive one your guys head first into the boards for a 2 gamer.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
No problem...I don't consider your reply anywhere near trolling , in fact I appreciate your response . Actually after thinking about things along those lines...I would specifically target the trio of Green/Semin/Backstrom right from the puck drop and not let up . The key is having a couple of skirmishes on the go at once...but the Rangers seem to have a lot of players skating outside them circles when it looks messy . Some guys on the Rangers need to step up the nastiness levels to outright bad !
appreciate the friendly response. green is still an unknown. you could try that. backstrom doesnt intimidate. he was a target of the flyers in his first series and has been since. semin....that could go either way. brooks oprik goes after him all game every game and short of breaking his wrist with a slash his results have been mixed at best.

my main question is, do you really want to put the caps pp on the ice 3 of 4 times in the first half of the game? thats playing with fire.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:

This is where Torts needs to let Avery off the leash. 2 years ago Avery was in Green's face the entire series and it took a toll on Green in particular. Also, this is where Callahan is missed the most, banging bodies and setting a tone. The Caps are taking every chance they can to hit the Rangers and the Rangers so far have yet to push back, it's time that stops. I have no faith in Gaborik right now either but you just keep throwing him out there hoping he can figure it out.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Zucc has NOT played well.. so why should he play?
LOL...maybe Torts thought he would need him in a SO in the 1st game ! He is a boy amongst men and more than likely will have a short stint in NY unless we fail to develop anybody with skills/size in the next 2 years .

There is not any 1 good reason why he should play as he is just too small and does nothing to scare the Caps at all . I'm sure whoever comes out on the ice against him must chuckle under their breath as to what they are playing against...he is sooooo small and he certainly does not have St Louis like skills .

But...if we had some bruisers on the wings to allow him to use his skills...it might be a different story but with what we have to throw out there...he is not a good fit for this team at the present moment .

Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
skymachine

Just win baby.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
appreciate the friendly response. green is still an unknown. you could try that. backstrom doesnt intimidate. he was a target of the flyers in his first series and has been since. semin....that could go either way. brooks oprik goes after him all game every game and short of breaking his wrist with a slash his results have been mixed at best.

my main question is, do you really want to put the caps pp on the ice 3 of 4 times in the first half of the game? thats playing with fire.
Well it could go either way...but at this point I would take my chances with Hank in our net . I think our team needs something to get the blood flowing and if it takes good old time play off hockey...so be it !

Old
04-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Got engaged last night. Headed to NY for Game 3. Hoping a win caps off this fantastic weekend. Play hard and score some goals. Let's Go Rangers!!!
congrats man!

Old
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Dead

Get blown out in this game and I think the series is OVER!

Old
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

RangerBoy, you're 100% spot-on. We need to punish their top players. Staal and Girardi need to remember that hitting hard and often is allowed. They're focusing too much on just containing Ovechkin and Semin and Backstrom. You need to punish them. I understand they're overworked and playing tons of hard minutes, but there's no time or place for excuses this time of year. They have been good, but they simply need to be better and put more of a stamp on the game. Be an impact player, Marc. I know you have it in you. Especially if Ovechkin is going to have his hands up and leave his feet for every single hit he throws. If that's not being called, then do the same to him. We'll probably get called for it, though, as the refs in this league are absolute jokes. Consistency is a foreign language to almost all of them, and there's no consistency at ALL from ref to ref / game to game. McDonagh gets a roughing penalty for a child-like shove on Bradley who does a somersault, yet Ovechkin is free to charge and leave his feet with every single hit, and hit players high, finishing with his hands up every chance he gets. I'd rather take my chances shorthanded for 2 minutes than let Ovechkin continue to run around and do whatever he wants for another two games. It needs to be stopped, one way or another.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Congrats Bud!!! Let's Go Rangers!!!

Old
04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Dead

I am watching this game, and expect it to be physical and exciting! Do not disappoint. Not a fan of either team so just looking for a GOOD game.

I would even get tickets to go to the game, if the prices were not INSANE!!!

Old
04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Well it could go either way...but at this point I would take my chances with Hank in our net . I think our team needs something to get the blood flowing and if it takes good old time play off hockey...so be it !
Agreed. It's not as if the Capitals have an elite power play by any stretch of the means. That being said, I'd rather not give them those opportunities, but the Rangers have to send a message. We are a physical team and we have played like a bunch of sissies thus far in the series. I'll take the chance short handed too. Henrik has been fantastic thus far. Each goal the Capitals scored on him was either the perfect play or a fortunate bounce.

I also want to see the Rangers to establish a net presence in front. The Capitals have been able to set up shop in front of Henrik, we haven't even tested Neurvirth yet. Get in his face, drive to the net, crash into him, get a dirty goal. I've seen plenty of Neuvirth and Varlamov over the season, I've always followed the Capitals, and I can clearly say that neither are on Henrik's level. And we only have one goal! So, we have to change that. There is no reason to only have one goal on Neuvirth at this point, regardless of the defense. The Rangers need to put in a substantially better effort, take some lumps and bruises in front of the net, and establish a presence in front of him.

Closed Thread