HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Point Blank Top-of-the-draft Preview

Old
04-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Macch

vCash: 500
The Point Blank Top-of-the-draft Preview

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

Quote:
1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: C, Red Deer (WHL), 31-75-106 in 71 games
“Playmaker, clutch goal scorer, consummate leader.”
“I agree with my colleagues who say he can have a Joe Sakic career.”
“I love this kid. The strides he’s made over the last year blew me away.”

2. Adam Larsson: D, Skelleftea (SEL), 1-8-9 in 37 games
“He will be a Norris finalist by his fifth complete season in the NHL.”
“I don’t like the comparisons to Lidstrom. He’s a different kind of player. Exceptional in every facet of the game.”

3. Gabriel Landeskog: W, Kitchener (OHL), 36-30-66 in 56 games
“The safest pick of the top 3 or 4. The complete package, including leadership.”
“The way he continues to develop, his offense should only get better and I think he’ll get 70-90 points and lead, like Mike Richards.”

4. Jonathan Huberdeau: C, Saint John (QMJHL), 43-62-105 in 66 games
“He made one of the most impressive one-year improvements I’ve ever seen in doing this for 20 years.”
“A very gifted offensive player. He’ll be a No. 1 center in a few years.”

5. Ryan Strome: C, Niagara (OHL), 33-73-106 in 65 games
“Has the offensive skill of a top-five pick, but there are some question marks with his overall game.”
“This could be a real hit-or-miss pick for a team taking him in the top ten. He could be an all-star with proper development. There’s a solid chance he’ll be a second-line center, and you want more when you’re picking that high in the first round.”
“A dynamic talent that will help your team win games and sell tickets. Move Tavares to his wing and count all the goals.”

6. Ryan Murphy: D, Kitchener (OHL), 26-53-79 in 63 games
“His size (estimated at 5-9) doesn’t concern me because of his skating and skill.”
“Most scouts have him in the 5-10 range, but I know a few who put Murphy right up there with Nugent-Hopkins and Larsson.”
“The Islanders have not shied away from small, skilled defenseman in the draft in the past. And this kid is way better than any of those guys.”

7. Sean Couturier: W, Drummondville (QMJHL), 36-60-96 in 58 games
“Everyone wanted to see a little more from him this season, but I still don’t have any doubt about him. He’ll be a 35-goal, 70-point player in the NHL in three or four years.”
“Couturier could be this year’s Cam Fowler. If he slips, a few teams will regret it. He’ll be there at 4, almost definitely at 5, so it’s the Islanders’ call.”
“Not tough to envision the 6-4 Couturier playing alongside Tavares for a long time, putting up 80 points a season. He’s just going to need a little patience from coaches and fans.”

8. Dougie Hamilton: D, Niagara (OHL), 12-46-58 in 67 games
“Probably the safest pick in the 4-8 range. At worst, he’s going to be a No. 2 defenseman. I love his size (6-4), ability and compete level. He really has it all.”
“He was the league’s top scholastic player. The Islanders probably love that about him, so I would guess that he’s high on their list.”

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
JetsMetsIsles

I like Murphy a lot and with the emerging Hamonic we already have our big punishing D man.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
I like Murphy a lot and with the emerging Hamonic we already have our big punishing D man.
Murphy is the last player I want from the top-8. If I'm the Islanders, this would be my rankings of players. Take the best player that's left from this list.

Larsson
RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Hamilton
Huberdeau
Strome
Murphy

I think we're going to end up with Hamilton or Huberdeau.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:14 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Murphy is the last player I want from the top-8. If I'm the Islanders, this would be my rankings of players. Take the best player that's left from this list.

Larsson
RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Hamilton
Huberdeau
Strome
Murphy

Strome is probably the last on my list. If landeskog is there at 4 I'm gonna be really disappointed we "lost" the lottery & shifted down to 5. I'd be fine with drafting murphy tbh, bc I think his talent is elite. He is small, but that doesn't mean you can succeed in the nhl these days. Also wouldn't mind Dougie Hamilton.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:21 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Hamonic can't do it all on his own. Most of our defensive prospects are smaller guys. When I look at the Bruins, Flyers and Penguins, I notice they have alot of size on the blueline.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Most of our d prospects will never sniff more than half a season of injury duty in the NHL... it doesn't matter how tall or short they are.

Murphy is the kind of dman a 6'4" stay at home physical dman would love to play with, because they can just give him the puck and he will do all the up-ice work. and they can focus on clearing the crease.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 10:26 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

4. Jonathan Huberdeau: C, Saint John (QMJHL), 43-62-105 in 66 games
“He made one of the most impressive one-year improvements I’ve ever seen in doing this for 20 years.”
“A very gifted offensive player. He’ll be a No. 1 center in a few years.”

5. Ryan Strome: C, Niagara (OHL), 33-73-106 in 65 games
“Has the offensive skill of a top-five pick, but there are some question marks with his overall game.”
“This could be a real hit-or-miss pick for a team taking him in the top ten. He could be an all-star with proper development. There’s a solid chance he’ll be a second-line center, and you want more when you’re picking that high in the first round.”
“A dynamic talent that will help your team win games and sell tickets. Move Tavares to his wing and count all the goals.”

6. Ryan Murphy: D, Kitchener (OHL), 26-53-79 in 63 games
“His size (estimated at 5-9) doesn’t concern me because of his skating and skill.”
“Most scouts have him in the 5-10 range, but I know a few who put Murphy right up there with Nugent-Hopkins and Larsson.”
“The Islanders have not shied away from small, skilled defenseman in the draft in the past. And this kid is way better than any of those guys.”

7. Sean Couturier: W, Drummondville (QMJHL), 36-60-96 in 58 games
“Everyone wanted to see a little more from him this season, but I still don’t have any doubt about him. He’ll be a 35-goal, 70-point player in the NHL in three or four years.”
“Couturier could be this year’s Cam Fowler. If he slips, a few teams will regret it. He’ll be there at 4, almost definitely at 5, so it’s the Islanders’ call.”
“Not tough to envision the 6-4 Couturier playing alongside Tavares for a long time, putting up 80 points a season. He’s just going to need a little patience from coaches and fans.”

“Probably the safest pick in the 4-8 range. At worst, he’s going to be a No. 2 defenseman. I love his size (6-4), ability and compete level. He really has it all.”
“He was the league’s top scholastic player. The Islanders probably love that about him, so I would guess that he’s high on their list.”

I'm leery of Murphy because of his size.Of course,I was leery about Parise because of his size too

I hope Snow passes on Strome.I don't think there's much need to gamble on a hit or miss prospect.

If Snow comes out of the first round with Huberdeau,Hamilton or Couturier at #5, I'll be pretty happy.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:42 AM
boredmale

“Probably the safest pick in the 4-8 range. At worst, he’s going to be a No. 2 defenseman.[/quote]

How can somebody whose downside is he will be a #2 defenseman be rated so low. lol

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post

Larsson
RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Hamilton
Huberdeau
Strome
Murphy

my exact list too but im holding out hope for Couturier, a big center who plays all aspects of the game well is always a good thing to have

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

hamilton

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Halakness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
my exact list too but im holding out hope for Couturier, a big center who plays all aspects of the game well is always a good thing to have
Is couturier like a jordan staal? I know we shouldn't base our 2011 draft pick based off the following years draft. But with the depth at dmen in 2012 I'd like to see us pick up another solid forward. Hamilton is starting to grow on me. Murphy and strome are on the back burner. If Larrson falls to the devils and they draft him. My brother is getting a swift kick in the dick for predicting they win the lottery

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
Is couturier like a jordan staal? I know we shouldn't base our 2011 draft pick based off the following years draft. But with the depth at dmen in 2012 I'd like to see us pick up another solid forward. Hamilton is starting to grow on me. Murphy and strome are on the back burner. If Larrson falls to the devils and they draft him. My brother is getting a swift kick in the dick for predicting they win the lottery
Ya know, from the descriptions of his game and physical makeup, the comparison to Jordan Staal might be a very good one.
Now Staal is a 3rd line center when the team is fully healthy, but can slide up a spot without much trouble. The thing is he is 3rd line behind 2 all world centers ahead of him.
So if we took Couturier and he turned out to be Staal, he could easily center our 2nd line without much fanfare. He will not be spectacular, but solid, steady 2 way, leave the spectacular to JT, Nino, Grabs, KO. That is not a bad spot to be in.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:53 AM
On Edge

As we move along, I'm starting to hope for Couturier (1st choice) or Huberdeau. More and more, I think we can use some additional size and skill in the middle.

If Bailey were further along - or I saw a more consistent level of compete in him, I'd be more open to a "gamble" like Strome or Murphy. I like Bailey but like most of us here, would have liked to see more from him - and it isn't just the point total.

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Stercrazy

What would it take and would it be worth it to move to the #3 spot in the draft?

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:00 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I'm not sure why so many are so down on Strome? It will take a year or two but this kids brings pure offense, something the Isles could use some more of. I think this kid will be the best offensive player to come out of this draft.

IMHO, The only other player that even makes this a hard decision is if Larsson drops.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
I'm not sure why so many are so down on Strome? It will take a year or two but this kids brings pure offense, something the Isles could use some more of. I think this kid will be the best offensive player to come out of this draft.

IMHO, The only other player that even makes this a hard decision is if Larsson drops.
When a scout says Strome could be a ' real hit-or-miss' pick,it makes me take notice.I don't think the isles need to take such a gamble.There will be quality prospects still on the board at #5.

Another consideration is that Both Nino and Kabanov are having strong playoffs.

Kabanov in particular is tearing it up in the playoffs offensively.If he has a strong 2010-2011 postseason,then follows it up with a KISS 2011-2012 regular season,I expect the isles will sign him next summer.

Nino joins the Isles next season,then Kabanov makes his push in the team's 2012-2013 training camp.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:07 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
When a scout says Strome could be a ' real hit-or-miss' pick,it makes me take notice.I don't think the isles need to take such a gamble.There will be quality prospects still on the board at #5.

Another consideration is that Both Nino and Kabanov are having strong playoffs.

Kabanov in particular is tearing it up in the playoffs offensively.If he has a strong 2010-2011 postseason,then follows it up with a KISS 2011-2012 regular season,I expect the isles will sign him next summer.

Nino joins the Isles next season,then Kabanov makes his push in the team's 2012-2013 training camp.
These certainly are considerations moving forward, as Snow tries to determine what position the Islanders are strong at in their prospect pool.

If Petrov doesn't join the Islanders next season, he certainly will in 2012 when Kabanov might also be ready.

Nino probably cracks the line-up next season, maybe Ullstrom too.

How about injecting four 6'3'' players to our line-up, Islanders fans?

Since Snow has apparently added the size at forward he promised the organization was after, he might turn to doing the same on defence.

And since any or all of these prospects could still bust, why not take "the safest pick in the 4-8 range" who could turn into a second defenseman?

Indeed, at this stage of the rebuild, it's probably time for Dougie Hamilton.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post

Lots of questions about his overall game. Floats and gets lost sometimes in the defensive zone.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Lots of questions about his overall game. Floats and gets lost sometimes in the defensive zone.
you can teach defense!!

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

As our season winded down, I wanted Larsson more than anything but hes surely not going to be on the board. Ive developed a man-crush on Couturier recently. He was the sure fire no brainer #1 when the season started. We might have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to offense soon. Who would have thought? I, like others, think its more feasible to build a blueline via free agency than it is to get point producers.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
you can teach defense!!

Yeah I understand that. The poster was asking why Strome isnt on the same lever as the prospects ranked ahead of him. The other prospects are more complete players.

Old
04-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Boik14

My top 8 would be:

Larsson
Landeskog
RHN
Herberdeau
Hamilton
Couturier
Strome
Murphy

I view our biggest need as a top pairing quality D-man but I also view Larsson as the best player in this draft. I hate to draft for need but if it comes down to a low risk/slightly lower reward option like Hamilton vs a higher risk/high reward option like Strome or Couturier, it shouldnt even be a question really that we should pick Hamilton. That Hamilton has the size and more of the physical play that we lack on D right now only enhances the fact that Hamilton should be the pick unless one of the top 4 falls

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boik14 View Post
I hate to draft for need but if it comes down to a low risk/slightly lower reward option like Hamilton vs a higher risk/high reward option like Strome or Couturier, it shouldnt even be a question really that we should pick Hamilton.
Couturier to me is the low risk/slightly lower reward option over Huberdeau

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm leery of Murphy because of his size.Of course,I was leery about Parise because of his size too

I hope Snow passes on Strome.I don't think there's much need to gamble on a hit or miss prospect.

If Snow comes out of the first round with Huberdeau,Hamilton or Couturier at #5, I'll be pretty happy.
By that logic let's trade all of our picks...
The draft is a crapshoot. Petteri Nokelainen (2004, 16th pick) and Kyle Chipchura (2004, 14th pick) were both supposed to be guaranteed NHLers. Where are they now? Nokelainen is in Finland and Chipchura is a healthy scratch/non-factor/13th forward on the Ducks this year.

My problem with Strome is the same as Hamilton: not a big enough reward to justify the risk.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:24 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
By that logic let's trade all of our picks...
The draft is a crapshoot. Petteri Nokelainen (2004, 16th pick) and Kyle Chipchura (2004, 14th pick) were both supposed to be guaranteed NHLers. Where are they now? Nokelainen is in Finland and Chipchura is a healthy scratch/non-factor/13th forward on the Ducks this year.
Neither Nokie or Chipchura had scouts saying their upside was bigtime nhl scorers.Nokie was projected to be 3rd liner and Chipchura a 2nd/3rd liner.After being drafted,Nokelainen had a major knee operation.How much did his knee injury effect his style of play?He wasn't exactly a fast and mobile skater before the injury.

As for Strome...between the Isles current nhl team and their prospect pool,they have several young,quality scoring forwards.

Taking Kabanov and Petrov in the 3rd rounds of their drafts, was a good gamble because of their upside and the isles extra draft picks in those drafts.Taking Strome with a high lottery pick,when scouts are raising red flags is an unnecessary risk.