Notices

Providence Bruins - post all game updates here

Old
04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
roaddogg02316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Uh, because the playoffs last longer than two weeks?
Well of course, but if he is hurt and can return there is still that time period where he has to take it easy. Hopefully they don't need any of the taxi squad.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 View Post
Well of course, but if he is hurt and can return there is still that time period where he has to take it easy. Hopefully they don't need any of the taxi squad.
Fyi, Kampfer tweeted yesterday that his rehab begins today.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
"Attacking hockey"? You mean like the Caps, with their Presidents' Trophies and their first-round exits? The team that changed its style to more defensive this year in an attempt to actually win a playoff round? (And save their coach's job?)

Yeah, "attacking hockey" is great fun for some fans, and very exciting. But defense (which doesn't have to mean "trap" BTW) is what wins championships.
Not to mention, Bergeron was on a 30 goal, 70 point pace in Jan/Feb. It sure didn't seem like the system was a problem then. Or when he won player of the month honors in January... IMHO, the reason Bergeron didn't put up 70 is because he went 0 for 7 in March and 0 for 3 in April. Blaming the system just seems like an excuse.

And fwiw, I don't begrudge folks who miss that attacking, fire-wagon style of hockey. But IMHO, the only team in the league that plays that way anymore is Toronto. Pitts/Wash/Van/Chi.. they all trap. And I'd describe the B's as a two-way, puck-possession team. I think they aspire to be like Detroit, only they're not there yet in terms of talent (and like to mix in more physical play).

04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Fwiw, I saw the Sunday Providence game. Some thoughts...

Spooner looked like the best of the new guys. On his goal he came over the blue line and was being angled to the wall so he extended his arms to create a new passing angle (NHL 11 style) and slipped a pass to Knight who was coming across the circle, then Knight pulled up at the hash marks and Spooner had slid towards the slot, he collected the pass on his forehand and beat the goalie clean with a hard wrister. Spooner also had some nice moments on the PP, but they didn't convert. Knight and Spooner looked good together.

Camper had some nice plays and nice chemistry with Sauve. They created some chances and on Camper's goal, Sauve came across the blue line 3on3, pulled up and hit Camper driving down the lane, back door, but instead of rediricting it, Camper pulled it from his forehand to his backhand and the goalie made an incredible right leg save moving the other way, but Camper banged in his own rebound from his knees.

On D, I thought Button looked good. Great mobility, but it's like he has some sort of governor on his game. There was a play where he stepped out from behind his net and the guy he wanted to pass to was going off for a change, so he rushed it himself, he got all the way to the blue line and looked like he might go end to end as he just had one more guy to beat, but instead he just laid it down the wall... Warsofsky had some nice passing moments and a neat spin move behind his own net that shook off a forechecker. I thought Cohen showed surprising poise on the PP.

Didn't notice Hamill or Arniel that much, but I was kind of keyed in on the new guys.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:59 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Not to mention, Bergeron was on a 30 goal, 70 point pace in Jan/Feb. It sure didn't seem like the system was a problem then. Or when he won player of the month honors in January... IMHO, the reason Bergeron didn't put up 70 is because he went 0 for 7 in March and 0 for 3 in April. Blaming the system just seems like an excuse.

And fwiw, I don't begrudge folks who miss that attacking, fire-wagon style of hockey. But IMHO, the only team in the league that plays that way anymore is Toronto. Pitts/Wash/Van/Chi.. they all trap. And I'd describe the B's as a two-way, puck-possession team. I think they aspire to be like Detroit, only they're not there yet in terms of talent (and like to mix in more physical play).
This is a very good assessment, kudos Bill

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
brewins09

Quote:
Fwiw, I saw the Sunday Providence game. Some thoughts...

Spooner looked like the best of the new guys. On his goal he came over the blue line and was being angled to the wall so he extended his arms to create a new passing angle (NHL 11 style) and slipped a pass to Knight who was coming across the circle, then Knight pulled up at the hash marks and Spooner had slid towards the slot, he collected the pass on his forehand and beat the goalie clean with a hard wrister. Spooner also had some nice moments on the PP, but they didn't convert. Knight and Spooner looked good together.

Camper had some nice plays and nice chemistry with Sauve. They created some chances and on Camper's goal, Sauve came across the blue line 3on3, pulled up and hit Camper driving down the lane, back door, but instead of rediricting it, Camper pulled it from his forehand to his backhand and the goalie made an incredible right leg save moving the other way, but Camper banged in his own rebound from his knees.

On D, I thought Button looked good. Great mobility, but it's like he has some sort of governor on his game. There was a play where he stepped out from behind his net and the guy he wanted to pass to was going off for a change, so he rushed it himself, he got all the way to the blue line and looked like he might go end to end as he just had one more guy to beat, but instead he just laid it down the wall... Warsofsky had some nice passing moments and a neat spin move behind his own net that shook off a forechecker. I thought Cohen showed surprising poise on the PP.

Didn't notice Hamill or Arniel that much, but I was kind of keyed in on the new guys.
Arniel and Caron and about 10 others didn't dress, it was their turn to rest with all the new guys.

brewins09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
"Attacking hockey"? You mean like the Caps, with their Presidents' Trophies and their first-round exits? The team that changed its style to more defensive this year in an attempt to actually win a playoff round? (And save their coach's job?)

Yeah, "attacking hockey" is great fun for some fans, and very exciting. But defense (which doesn't have to mean "trap" BTW) is what wins championships.
I know our second round exits are so much better

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewins09 View Post
Arniel and Caron and about 10 others didn't dress, it was their turn to rest with all the new guys.
Well that explains why I didn't notice them!

Old
04-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Marleau

Send a message via AIM to Marleau
http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...-bruins-coach/

Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:44 PM
PBruinsfan10

As much as I liked Murray as a person, I'm 100% okay with this. I'd love to see them bring someone completely new in rather than just handing the reins to Cassidy, though - if Cassidy just carries on with the Murray-instilled system, I doubt that team sees any more success.

There's a guy coaching in the ECHL, for the Alaska Aces, that Chiarelli has spoken highly of - Brent Thompson. He's the reason the P-Bruins have occasionally shuttled overflow players who won't fit in Reading to Alaska (Courchaine, Lammers, et al.) He spent three years assistant coaching in Peoria, and now two years coaching in Alaska - and he's coached them to the playoffs both years.

I dunno, just a thought. If they re-sign Khudobin and bring in someone completely new to coach, I'll have high hopes for next season.

PBruinsfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
roaddogg02316

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruinsfan10 View Post
As much as I liked Murray as a person, I'm 100% okay with this. I'd love to see them bring someone completely new in rather than just handing the reins to Cassidy, though - if Cassidy just carries on with the Murray-instilled system, I doubt that team sees any more success.

There's a guy coaching in the ECHL, for the Alaska Aces, that Chiarelli has spoken highly of - Brent Thompson. He's the reason the P-Bruins have occasionally shuttled overflow players who won't fit in Reading to Alaska (Courchaine, Lammers, et al.) He spent three years assistant coaching in Peoria, and now two years coaching in Alaska - and he's coached them to the playoffs both years.

I dunno, just a thought. If they re-sign Khudobin and bring in someone completely new to coach, I'll have high hopes for next season.
Brent Thompson would be a great choice for a coach. If they are thinking of him? Who knows. He finished out his career in 04-05 with Providence. He seems to be in the know about how to run a team.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:04 PM
bruinmann77

i would be ok with that move a coach from the outside could be helpful both in the minors and on the parent club

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleau View Post
You never want to see a guy get fired, but I think this was the right call, and I'm glad they offered him a scouting position. By all accounts, he's a good person.

I'd like to see them get Flash Gordon back in there.

Old
04-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Interesting. From afar that seems like the right move.

There may be a coaching vacancy with the parent club soon to.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Alaska is always loaded and has always had success no matter who the coach is. I was never in love with Thompson's style as a player.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
You never want to see a guy get fired, but I think this was the right call, and I'm glad they offered him a scouting position. By all accounts, he's a good person.

I'd like to see them get Flash Gordon back in there.
Think he'd take the "demotion" of sorts?

Lots of NHL vacancies ...

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warbucks View Post
Think he'd take the "demotion" of sorts?

Lots of NHL vacancies ...
Hell...could be a job in Boston.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:49 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Hell...could be a job in Boston.
Not sure I'd want Flash in Boston just yet, although he's certainly an upgrade over Clooooooode ...

I still think they should have grabbed Laviolette when he was available and canned Clooooode then. Always knew that letting Lavvy walk would come back to haunt us, but hey, Ftorek worked ot pretty well

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Two days late on this one...

No surprise to see Murray canned, er, reassigned by the organization. After two years of playoff DNQ and Providence's special-teams ranked near the bottom of the league all year, a change was needed.

Murray got screwed a bit by something that was pretty much out of his control--poor goaltending and injuries. If Providence had a real goaltender all year, and if Whitfield and Sauve are healthy all year, I think Providence would have made the playoffs. It wasn't meant to be.

Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Per Projo:

Bruce Cassidy is a candidate for the head coaching job with the Providence Bruins.

Cassidy, an assistant coach under Rob Murray for the past three seasons, said on Wednesday that he'd been told by Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli that he will be interviewed for the job.

Understandably, Chiarelli will not turn his attention to Providence until Boston's season is over, according to Cassidy.

Cassidy, 44, was the head coach of the Washington Capitals for a year and a half, and made the playoffs in his only full season, 2002-03. He also has been a head coach in the American Hockey League, International Hockey League and the East Coast Hockey League.

A high-scoring defenseman, he was a first-round draft pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in 1983, but knee injuries curtailed his playing career.

Rob Murray, Providence's head coach since 2008, has been offered a scouting job in the Boston organization.

Malt is offline   Reply With Quote