HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keenan Vs Luongo: Fact or Fiction?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2005, 05:34 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Keenan Vs Luongo: Fact or Fiction?

Forgive me for being unimformed about this... but I've been reading in a couple of threads that Keenan and Luongo did not see eye toeye back when Iron Mike was coaching the Cats a couple years ago. I'm just curious to know what it was about Luongo that Keenan wasn't pleased with.

I figure not too much should be made of it, if in fact true. Tortorella and Lecavalier did not see eye to eye for a long time and we all know how that turned out.

Old
08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Dropkick Alex

Fact, I remember only two things and I believe Keenan did the memorable take out Luongo and sit him and then bring him back into the game and then I believe he fired Luongo's goalie coach last year...I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the firing was what made Luongo mad.

Old
08-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I figure not too much should be made of it, if in fact true. Tortorella and Lecavalier did not see eye to eye for a long time and we all know how that turned out.
That would probably be a good comparision. Captain Hook (Keenan), usually pulled Luongo after he let up 2+ goals in favor of the veteran goaltender Janie Hurme. After Keenan was canned, Luongo admitted that Keenan made him stronger mentally (take Roberto's statement FWIW).

Old
08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
Fact, I remember only two things and I believe Keenan did the memorable take out Luongo and sit him and then bring him back into the game and then I believe he fired Luongo's goalie coach last year...I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the firing was what made Luongo mad.
He fired Malarchuk this offseason -- but from everything I read it was a Jacque Martin decision -- not Keenan's. Martin wanted Francois Allaire but was unable to convince him to leave Anaheim.

As far as the original post -- it's fiction. When Keenan first arrived he did his usual "Captain Hook" act with Luongo -- and it definatley upset Roberto at the time. But Luongo has said more than once Keenan's tactics made him stronger mentally and had no hard feelings against him (I think he said it around the time Keenan was canned). Keenan admires players that respond to his tests -- so I doubt he has any type of doubt in Luongo.

Old
08-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Sorry its a fact...I remember the game clearly since I was there and the next day's comments. It wasn't even a game that Luongo played in either. Home game against San Jose and Shields was lit up for 3 goals in the 1st period, 2 in the matter of like 6 mins (if you don't remember, it was the game that McCauley got a hat trick...and 2 of the 3 in the 1st period). Luongo was pissed because if he was in goal...he would've been yanked after the 3rd goal. But Keenan didn't yank Shields and Luongo spoke out about it in the local media the following day. Note that this was before Keenan was fired too...just a week later he was let go (coincidence, I think not).

Old
08-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn
Sorry its a fact...I remember the game clearly since I was there and the next day's comments. It wasn't even a game that Luongo played in either. Home game against San Jose and Shields was lit up for 3 goals in the 1st period, 2 in the matter of like 6 mins (if you don't remember, it was the game that McCauley got a hat trick...and 2 of the 3 in the 1st period). Luongo was pissed because if he was in goal...he would've been yanked after the 3rd goal. But Keenan didn't yank Shields and Luongo spoke out about it in the local media the following day. Note that this was before Keenan was fired too...just a week later he was let go (coincidence, I think not).
Yeah I was at that game as well. In fact, the seats I purchase (from STH friends) are directly behind the glass where the Panthers' backup goaltender sits/next to the stick rack (it's annoying having kids go up to "Slim" asking for pucks in the middle of a game).

Anyway if I remember correctly, I made sure I went because I think the game was blacked out on TV that night. The entire time Shields was getting lit, I kept an eye on Roberto and Keenan, and I can tell you this.......not once did I hear/see them speak or make eye contact with each other on the bench. But anyway, that is just typical Keenan when it comes to young goaltenders. Lets also not forget, the day of Keenan/Martin's hiring, Jokinen and Luongo were there and Keenan said on the radio they were the only 2 players on the team that were safe from being moved. We'll see if Keenan keeps his word.

Old
08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
We'll see if Keenan keeps his word.
Never has before.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Never has before.
Oh come on Clash. Back this up with some good hard evidence. Keenan has been torn apart here the past week and for what? Not signign Forsberg, Naslund, Niedermayer? If you honestly thought we were going to sign those high profile FAs, you deserve the let down you're experiencing right now.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:12 AM
justapantherfan

the big problem with Mike the Coach is he likes to play head games and that pisses of people.

I remembered him pulling Roberto and later putting him back in.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Oh come on Clash. Back this up with some good hard evidence. Keenan has been torn apart here the past week and for what? Not signign Forsberg, Naslund, Niedermayer? If you honestly thought we were going to sign those high profile FAs, you deserve the let down you're experiencing right now.
Actually, my response has nothing to do with the past week. It has to do with starting back to the summer after the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. But I don't feel like gettin into it with you, cause it really isn't worth it. You can believe what you want, but Keenan isn't one to keep his word and isn't one to take responsibility for anything.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Still waiting for examples Clash...

Old
08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Crossbar

Still no Luongo deal

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

Quote:
A short conversation between Luongo's agent, Gilles Lupien, and Panthers General Manager Mike Keenan over the length of the contract ended without agreement. Though Lupien says he expects to speak with Keenan by the end of the week, there's a lot of ground to cover.

"The Panthers know the value of Roberto," Lupien said. "They understand where he sits. They want to make him happy and give him an honest contract that would be the best for him." It's possible Lupien could file for arbitration if no deal is reached by Aug. 15. With training camp scheduled to begin early next month, Luongo could be asked to hold out. "That's not our intention right now," Lupien said.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Acadmus

Dammit...sounds like they agree on a number more or less, but Luongo's agent is trying to get him ready to bolt to free agency as soon as he's eligible.

Closed Thread