HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Can you really be that upset with Bob's play?

Old
04-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall shoots View Post
Hes done, Bob was just flopping way too much.

Same goalie I saw, looked like a fish out of water in game 2. He was really sharp and poised in game 1. Give credit to Sabre's shooters as well, patience paid off for them.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Letting him sit a game or two to watch and calm himself likely isn't a bad thing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Sergei Bobflopsky?
lol sorry but that's pretty funny.

I'd be shocked if they went back to him for Game 3 in Buffalo, but having said that I think this is just a case of nerves and he's got a great future ahead of him. But the Flyers want to win now, so...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
As much as I like Bob, tonight wasn't very good on his part. On the one goal, he has to find his way to the post and hug it. He kept just trying to kick the pad out and hold his ground, but that's not the way to play that situation.

On the high glove snipe, it was a play that shouldn't happen but he has to learn to keep his ****ing glove up. I've been saying it for ages now that he can't keep turning the arm up and trying to get his C/A on it. It doesn't work.

Boosh played VERY well coming on in relief, so at this point, if I were to guess, I'd say he's getting the nod in game 3 and it's his series to lose.
He didn't have a chance to move on the shot from that close in anyway. So if the shooter got the puck around him and on net, it was a goal. In that situation I don't mind the glove low to force the shooter to lift it. That said, he was too low and deep. You can't have guys going over your shoulder to hit the middle of the shelf. That's just too much room to give.

I don't give Boosh enough love, mostly because he's technically ugly. It's kind of hideous to watch him play at times...but the puck hits him. He did a nice job yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
He played it about as bad as you can play it, short of vacating the crease for one of the corners.
It sucks that he misplayed it, but as others have said, his was the last in a series of mistakes by the team. That's the risk of playing a young goalie IMO. He has the ability to make saves that Boosh can never make, but the young guys usually suffer from inconsistent execution.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Letting him sit a game or two to watch and calm himself likely isn't a bad thing.
I disagree for two reasons.

He has had a pretty pimp outing after every bad game this year. I think he's gonna be pissed and really bear down. And You never wanna sit forever after a bad game. That never calms me down and I don't think it does anyone else really. The best way to get over it is to get back in there and make up for it.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
MiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev View Post
i agree that the team didnt do bob any favors by playing pretty poor defense, but I also believe that the second goal he played poorly, and the 3rd goal he played terrible as well. I understand that the defense wasnt giving him any help, but guess what... this is the playoffs, play big or play with your matchbox cars at the end of the bench.

my concern with bob is that buffalo allready knows his weakness and it has lead to goals. Bob goes down early, and if you elevate the puck on him you will score, do you remember two years ago when a certain russian goalie on Washington had the same problem and we picked him apart? (varlamov)
yesterday Bryzgalov was standing seeking pucks so Red Wings were shooting low and scored that way 2 goals in first period... I would rather like my goalie to cover everything down and all team committed to not giving enough time to pick corners

I'm not upset with Bob, I'm upset with team D in the first, they played much better rest of the game

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:34 PM

vCash: 50
I don't think that Bob would have let any of the shots on Boosh go in either to be honest, the D really stepped it up in the most part.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:52 PM
mja
Negative Creep

The biggest problem I saw with Bob last night is what other people are calling flopping.

He's overplaying everything. He did that on all three goals. Kicking his pad out instead of hugging the post. Sliding all the way out of his crease leaving an empty net. Going down leaving the entire top half of the net exposed.

He's a young guy, and I'm more than willing to cut him a break, but he's got to get that stuff figured out, and fast.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
The biggest problem I saw with Bob last night is what other people are calling flopping.

He's overplaying everything. He did that on all three goals. Kicking his pad out instead of hugging the post. Sliding all the way out of his crease leaving an empty net. Going down leaving the entire top half of the net exposed.

He's a young guy, and I'm more than willing to cut him a break, but he's got to get that stuff figured out, and fast.
You can't really say he overplayed anything on the Vanek goal. It's ice, you slide the puck (and goalie) back and forth so many times, eventually he's gonna fall a step behind. Every goalie in the league probably gets beat there more often than not.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I disagree for two reasons.

He has had a pretty pimp outing after every bad game this year. I think he's gonna be pissed and really bear down. And You never wanna sit forever after a bad game. That never calms me down and I don't think it does anyone else really. The best way to get over it is to get back in there and make up for it.
Good points.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:22 PM
MiD

Quote:

sliding was only option to prevent one timer to empty net, kudos for rookie D to pick Vanek after Mez and Betts collide

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
You can't really say he overplayed anything on the Vanek goal. It's ice, you slide the puck (and goalie) back and forth so many times, eventually he's gonna fall a step behind. Every goalie in the league probably gets beat there more often than not.
He overslid. Way overslid. I've seen him make that same play before without vacating the crease entirely.

I'm not saying he would have had it otherwise, but he overplayed it and gave himself no shot there.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Snipsnap12

Boucher has to start, the D feel more comfortable, and the penaltyt killing improves dramatically with him stopping the puck. The first pass out of the zone is most important and the whole team benefits.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 03:51 PM
lefty2time*

You guys are lucky that even though you've had a glaring weakness you are still a top team that compete and will probably make a deep run.

The experiments go on and on..you guys seem to have tried everything (even guys like Emery).

The solution is obvious and makes the most sense. Gm should go out and get a top notch goalie prosepct and develop. Quick, Schneider, even someone like Rask. If you have to overpay....you do it beause you guys are so solid everywhere else. A young top notch guy like Quick Schneider Rask arnt more than a few years away if not ready now.
You're team is young enough to wait for a goalie to develop. An entry lvl contarct or second lvl contact would fit in with your salary structure.
Going out and getting a bigger name goalie now would cost a pretty penny in terms of salary.

Seems like every year they go out and get some experiment thats doomed to fail.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
He overslid. Way overslid. I've seen him make that same play before without vacating the crease entirely.

I'm not saying he would have had it otherwise, but he overplayed it and gave himself no shot there.
The puck went east-west like three times right in the low slot. Any goalie would lose their form on a play like that, and when you start to lose your form you make desperation saves, and yeah, it's ice, you slide....

He stayed with the play as well as all but the most composed goalies would have (think Backstrom, Vokoun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
You guys are lucky that even though you've had a glaring weakness you are still a top team that compete and will probably make a deep run.

The experiments go on and on..you guys seem to have tried everything (even guys like Emery).

The solution is obvious and makes the most sense. Gm should go out and get a top notch goalie prosepct and develop. Quick, Schneider, even someone like Rask. If you have to overpay....you do it beause you guys are so solid everywhere else. A young top notch guy like Quick Schneider Rask arnt more than a few years away if not ready now.
You're team is young enough to wait for a goalie to develop. An entry lvl contarct or second lvl contact would fit in with your salary structure.
Going out and getting a bigger name goalie now would cost a pretty penny in terms of salary.

Seems like every year they go out and get some experiment thats doomed to fail.
Excellent idea. This has never been discussed or even suggested before.

Old
04-18-2011, 03:33 AM
mirimon

Quote:
The puck went east-west like three times right in the low slot. Any goalie would lose their form on a play like that, and when you start to lose your form you make desperation saves, and yeah, it's ice, you slide....

He stayed with the play as well as all but the most composed goalies would have (think Backstrom, Vokoun).

Excellent idea. This has never been discussed or even suggested before.
Which player do you think will be suggested to trade for Schneider/Quick? You are not allowed to use the letters a, c, e, r or t in your answer.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Jimmy Villa

Boosh should play from here until the SCF, providing he isn't dropping clangers.

I too like Bob, but he is NOT a play-off goalie yet. Teams suss him so easily.

He's constantly turtling in net, and his top shelf is ALWAYS and I mean, ALWAYS exposed.

You can't have this kind of easily read goalie between the pipes when games and goals are at a premium.

Good young kid, will come back even better with experience, but for me it has to be the BOOSH for game 3 and going forward.

What price on Boosh for a S/O in game 3?!?

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Which player do you think will be suggested to trade for Schneider/Quick? You are not allowed to use the letters a, c, e, r or t in your answer.

N-O-D-L

And about 15 draft picks

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote